Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:
  Hide contents

I thought Clear & Present Danger was the worst adaptation, and my wife was pissed because I was laughing during the movie for the outlandishness of some of the changes. It has been a long time; but I seem to remember a character or two that were good guys in the books turn into bad guys in the movie, and chase scenes that were outlandish.

It felt way watered down and packaged for an audience that had never read the books. Not helped that it was a very dense book.

Red October and Patriot Games felt like they were still trying to appeal to the book fans.

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I thought Clear & Present Danger was the worst adaptation, and my wife was pissed because I was laughing during the movie for the outlandishness of some of the changes. It has been a long time; but I seem to remember a character or two that were good guys in the books turn into bad guys in the movie, and chase scenes that were outlandish.

Spoilered for those who haven't watched a 30 year old movie. I think Patriot Games might have been my favorite Jack Ryan book.

Patriot Games has one of the best opening sentences of any book that I have read: "Ryan was nearly killed twice in half an hour."  Then it gets down to business.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just saw where Phyllis Coates passed away...

Phyllis Coates, the First Lois Lane on Television, Dies at 96

The actress left 'Adventures of Superman' after one season, later to appear in such films as 'Girls in Prison' and 'I Was a Teenage Frankenstein.'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/phyllis-coates-dead-lois-lane-superman-1235616582/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:11 PM, YGIFS said:

Random facts I'm just reading-published author, playwright, stage actor, U.S. Marine, and boxing champ of said Corps.   Wife died when he was just 34 after 1 child together.  Never remarries.  Ran NYC Marathon in 1984.  I'm sure his long stride helped.  Survived by daughter and grandson.  God bless 'em

Another random fact is that his wife murdered a second child, their son, with a kitchen knife in a park in Queens. She was acquitted (insanity).  She died of overdose in a psychiatric hospital.

According to IMDb, but not mentioned by Wikipedia.

IMDb also says his boxing accomplishments are based on his own “claims.” He also claimed to have a 17-0 professional record, but said he fought in aliases, so no one really knows. I guess IMDb is saying he was very, very modest. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

27 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

IMDb also says his boxing accomplishments are based on his own “claims.” He claimed to have a 17-0 professional record, but said he fought in aliases, so no one really knows. I guess IMDb is saying he was very, very modest. 

There were people who said he knew how to box, so it's...complicated.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-02-17-sp-3745-story.html

And it says the one child he had was the daughter (who is alive, and has a son/his grandson).  Sounds like he tried to keep the paparazzi out of his life.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There were people who said he knew how to box, so it's...complicated.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-02-17-sp-3745-story.html

And it says the one child he had was the daughter (who is alive, and has a son/his grandson).  Sounds like he tried to keep the paparazzi out of his life.

He was definitely quiet about his marriage. The more legit and less legit sources both say very little is known about his first marriage, and the circumstances of her death are foggy. IMDb doesn’t provide sources for their trivia, so I guess we’ll live the rest of our lives wondering.

You’d think his agent and attorney would get stuff that could be libelous off IMDb.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Some actors get typecast from a single role. Roundtree got tabbed with a riff for his career. Most folks couldn’t set him or his name without the guitar lead from Shaft coming in their head.

I knew David Porter in Memphis, and met his Stax writing partner a couple times. Isaac was in his Black Moses persona at the time. Before he became Chef.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Mid / late 80’s NBC may have had the greatest single night comedy line up of all time on Thursdays.  Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers and Night Court all in a row.

I'm beginning to believe they should close the Monsanto sound stage.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:07 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

A bad motherfucker. 

<not so csb>

In the late 90s or early 2000s the Alamo Ritz had a showing of Shaft. I had never seen it and didn't really have many expectations. With price of admission you received a 40oz wrapped in brown paper towel, so that was a good start.  At the end of the movie, I couldn't believe I had never seen it because it was freaking awesome.  May need to watch it again soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Damn, Bull joins Harry, Christine, Mac, Selma and Flo. Just Dan and Roz left. 

You had to figure raging alcoholic Dan wouldn’t have been the first to go.  Roz was about the third iteration of the assistant bailiff. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets