2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

I’ve also heard some chatter about a dying Pacific hurricane being pulled into Texas in the middle of the month. You can see that at the end of this 10 day model. It’s too early to know for sure, but that would bring a lot of rain to some places of Texas. A similar thing happened in 1998. I lived in San Marcos at the time and we got 24 inches of rain in about 17 hours.

b89811c94c77334b5b3228df3f16dba1.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’ve also heard some chatter about a dying Pacific hurricane being pulled into Texas in the middle of the month. You can see that at the end of this 10 day model. It’s too early to know for sure, but that would bring a lot of rain to some places of Texas. A similar thing happened in 1998. I lived in San Marcos at the time and we got 24 inches of rain in about 17 hours.

October is the best season for Pacific hurricane runoff.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I was living in Seguin and vividly remember the Guadalupe flooding bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I am going to say that if this storm today in NYC caused the city to grind to a standstill then, well, God help it when some real climate change driven storms come calling. The time to have started trying to build a sea wall around this place was 20 years ago. 

Lies and misinformation and bootstraps and lies and something about a 6000 year old earth?  I don’t know man, just clonk someone on the head with a Kodiak steel toed work boot if they give you any guff about climate change. Get some practice in because we’re going to have to deal with them at some point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Blanco river flood was Memorial day weekend 2015 if i recall. A total motherfucker.

A very memorable weekend in the lives of the Smwhorn family.  The mother in law's house flooded and had 5 feet of water in it.  So the mother in law moved in with us and never left.....

• Haha 4

On 9/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, Schulz2.0 said:

I was living in Seguin and vividly remember the Guadalupe flooding bad.

36'  crest for Seguin that year. Amazing to see the water mark on on the tower down by the river there by the Max Starcke golf course.

On 9/30/2023 at 9:12 AM, MissingInAction said:

Blanco river flood was Memorial day weekend 2015 if i recall. A total motherfucker.

Yep...2015. And I seem to remember you and some other Shaggy/Surlyites helping with the cleanup. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

I was just 10 years old, but my family helped evacuate a bunch of horses from the stable we kept ours at away from onion creek. Another place down the road didn’t move all theirs and some drowned in their pens.

Texas droughts tend to end in floods. When I moved here to go to UT my dad (Texan) told me never sleep near a creek or an arroyo. 

We need a slow steady rain, not a bunch at time. 

Watching that Orange/Red at the end suggests someone in the SW/Texas is going to get a lot of rain if it stays together. 

Well at least Bastrop did not burn down again. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Totals already trending downward for next week. I wouldn’t get too excited.

-PDO is killing us.

?

Everything I've been watching has had it pretty consistent with about 1.5-3 inches over the past several days.

image.png.2fc0a672c8ca3bf927df1cf01f8cbec0.png

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

?

Everything I've been watching has had it pretty consistent with about 1.5-3 inches over the past several days.

image.png.2fc0a672c8ca3bf927df1cf01f8cbec0.png

The models have been trending the wrong direction though. Looks like one real day of rain on Thursday- at least it’ll be a little cooler.

Ive seen this play out too many times…QPF models get excited in this range and then step down as we get closer. 

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

The models have been trending the wrong direction though. Looks like one real day of rain on Thursday- at least it’ll be a little cooler.  Ive seen this play out too many times…QPF models get excited in this range and then step down as we get closer. 

Yeah, beginning to see more predictions of the cold front slowing and struggling as it heads south.  May not be able to throw off as much rain in central Texas as previous models forecasted 2-3 days ago.