Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

54 minutes ago, elfenix said:

times new roman sucks.  it's an adaptation of an old newspaper font for shitty 1990s screens and printers.  our screens are much higher resolution and damn near no one prints anything anymore. 

I'm in a constant battle with my firm to change everything from TNR to Calibri.

No one listens to me though

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Where y'all at on double sentence spacing. Lawyers in my experience have a really hard time letting that one go. 

some courts have formatting and font requirements in the local rules which dictate what you do in pleadings.  that might get picked up into everything else.  for letters i typically go with 1.15 or so.  full on double space looks kinda weird to me. 

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

some courts have formatting and font requirements in the local rules which dictate what you do in pleadings.  that might get picked up into everything else.  for letters i typically go with 1.15 or so.  full on double space looks kinda weird to me. 

Sentence spacing, not line spacing. I agree that full on double is fucking weird. 1.15 minimum, but usually 1.5. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

oh i'm double tapping the spacebar even right now.  just mechanical.  right ring finger moving down one row gets the right thumb moving twice. 

Think of how much time you have wasted in your life executing that unnecessary space. 

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

times new roman sucks.  it's an adaptation of an old newspaper font for shitty 1990s screens and printers.  our screens are much higher resolution and damn near no one prints anything anymore. 

Wrong. TNR, double spaced, and 12 font is the only acceptable way.

Arial, Calibri, etc. are all evil

• Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

The strangest part of that State Department memo is the 14 pt requirement.  Is that a real thing?  Are they being written by children trying to hit a page count on their submission?

I would laugh my ass off at anyone that sent a serious document to me with 14 pt font. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 7:44 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

It's so cool that Garland took three months to appoint Jack Smith as special counsel in the dotard case, yet he busts out a special counsel in the Biden case within a week of the news breaking.

Fuckhead.

There's a reason for that.  

With Trump the private citizen, there was no conflict of interest.  When he announced his candidacy, there became a conflict of interest and the Special Counsel was appointed.

With Biden, there is an automatic conflict of interest as he at least nominally controls the DOJ.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.2Pq-ol2TBY3ztX12xZiUMwHaE4%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=0ab1103135a745809ee0e1496d780ec4b91e32acd78a7d67dcaa5022d5e7365b&ipo=images

People, including Trump, seem to think that a Special Counsel is some kind of Super Grand Inquisitor.

They are not.  They are appointed when the DOJ/executive branch has a conflict of interest in an investigation or prosecution.

In the high-profile matters, at least, they get a lot of attention for rather obvious reasons, and, they must be able to conduct every aspect of an investigation or prosecution outside the normal chain of command of the DOJ, so they're almost always highly experienced as both "line prosecutors" and "Main Justice" type policy/admin wonks.  The AG doesn't want them running back to DC looking for approval or advice on how to proceed.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Yeah, those fonts suck shit.

But there are much better serif fonts than TNR, namely the Century family, Garamond family, and others.  El fenix is correct that TNR is a bastard newspaper font adapted for "display" in narrow newspaper columns.

I still double space after periods, but wp corrects it.  Not after colons, however.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 1/15/2023 at 8:57 AM, Red Five said:

I guess my question is, why were classified documents in a position to get boxed up with all the other shit? Is it that common to have them lying around everywhere?

Apparently, it is.  Once classified material reaches the White House, which is far outside its normal environs, it is a free-for-all.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, those fonts suck shit.

But there are much better serif fonts than TNR, namely the Century family, Garamond family, and others.  El fenix is correct that TNR is a bastard newspaper font adapted for "display" in narrow newspaper columns.

I still double space after periods, but wp corrects it.  Not after colons, however.

Nope. TNR is the standard in my narrow view. Also double space refers to the lines, not two spaces after a period.

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The strangest part of that State Department memo is the 14 pt requirement.  Is that a real thing?  Are they being written by children trying to hit a page count on their submission?

I would laugh my ass off at anyone that sent a serious document to me with 14 pt font. 

Same. Automatic disqualification of whatever it is they are submitting for.

5 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Nope. TNR is the standard in my narrow view. Also double space refers to the lines, not two spaces after a period.

Same. Automatic disqualification of whatever it is they are submitting for.

14pt is a common requirement in court documents, so it makes sense that other governmental units would do it.

Calibri, however, don't make no sense at all.

Y’all still using typewriters or something? The only reason we used two spaces after a period was that monospaced typewriters made sentence flow look awkward with the period equidistance between sentences if you didn’t use two spaces. Word processors space the periods better and actually looks weird as hell if there’s a huge two space word processor gap. There’s not a single reputable style guide that will tell you to use two spaces. Even back then it wasn’t a hard style rule just mostly something people adopted to make the sentence breaks easier to identify. There’s no valid basis to insist on two spaces anymore, only nostalgia and hard headed olds “that’s how I learned it consarnit and I ain’t ever gonna change!”

TLDR: Two spacers are unequivocally wrong.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Y’all still using typewriters or something? The only reason we used two spaces after a period was that monospaced typewriters made sentence flow look awkward with the period equidistance between sentences if you didn’t use two spaces. Word processors space the periods better and actually looks weird as hell if there’s a huge two space word processor gap. There’s not a single reputable style guide that will tell you to use two spaces. Even back then it wasn’t a hard style rule just mostly something people adopted to make the sentence breaks easier to identify. There’s no valid basis to insist on two spaces anymore, only nostalgia and hard headed olds “that’s how I learned it consarnit and I ain’t ever gonna change!”

Fuck.  You! 😉

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I like the two spaces for scanning a legal doc. Run on sentences everywhere, nice to have a hole in the doc showing where the sentence ends. Other than that I don’t really care. But 14 pt font as a standard would be incredible. I’m glad Biden is pushing it through Congress. Fuck readers.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The Office Thank You GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I like the two spaces for scanning a legal doc. Run on sentences everywhere, nice to have a hole in the doc showing where the sentence ends. Other than that I don’t really care. But 14 pt font as a standard would be incredible. I’m glad Biden is pushing it through Congress. Fuck readers.

my god the run on sentences.  so many lines, why is there only one period?