the 80th golden globes

henrygandorf

Random observation---didn't watch the show but watched that Jennifer Coolidge speech above.  Very endearing and funny, but was kinda bummed out when she was listing the small projects over the last 20+ years that sustained her career until "White Lotus"...she didn't mention Christopher Guest or their projects together.  She was brilliant in them and Guest enabled her to show a completely different side of her wit and reverence to the subtly absurd.  Anyway, congrats to her. 

I don't know Mike White but a couple of friends out there know him.  They've been telling me for months to watch that show, I and I need to.  But they say he is absolutely one of the few genuinely good people in the business and deserves all the good things coming his way.  Well done, Mike.  You look like you had a wonderful time last night.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

And Better Call Saul losing to some fucking dragon show......jeez.  (I did not watch said dragon show, so flame away).

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Based on the clips posted in the OP, if those are the highlights, anyone who didn't watch missed absolutely nothing of interest or note. I don't even know if there was anything culturally relevant / watercooler about this anymore. Or maybe because after the Will Smith slap, it's all molehills.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I watched 2-3 episodes of House of Dragons and found it to be a bit of a bore.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah we stopped halfway thru with no regrets. undeserving. 

6 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Say what you will, but drunk Milly made the night (58 seconds in she nearly loses it).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is there an article about people who don't like award shows but still click on award show threads to confirm that they didn't miss anything of consequence?

Probably a tweet, but doubt any long form journalism.

Gotta stay yuck-culturally relevant with a small talk topic or two for eclectic crowds when you spend as much time in Calabasas as I do.

32 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is there an article about people who don't like award shows but still click on award show threads to confirm that they didn't miss anything of consequence?

i'm a total sucker for and love award shows, but i missed the golden globes last night after telling myself and my wife over the weekend that we should totally watch them. she rolled her eyes, but she gets it. then i forgot all about it.

not sure what that says about the relevancy of awards shows, but i guess it ain't good. i'm all caught up on twitter thanks to this thread.

i can't recall exactly what it is that i read about the golden globes, specifically being nominated for and winning one, but i seem to recall that, according to whatever it is that i read, that one's relationship with the HFP was essentially the criteria for being nominated/winning. is that correct? even close? the only result i've seen is that HoD won best new series, and that right there tells me that these awards are a bunch of BS. zero chance in hell there weren't scores of better new shows, shows with, you know, compelling storylines and characters, and shit like that.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"hey brad pitt." lol that's great. 

It became a thing, after that.  A couple other presenters (or winners, don't recall which) mentioned him while they were up on stage.  It was pretty funny.

And hoping for stupid question amnesty, but what/who are the Hollywood Foreign Press, and what is their significance, to the industry and/or in the city?  

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i can't recall exactly what it is that i read about the golden globes, specifically being nominated for and winning one, but i seem to recall that, according to whatever it is that i read, that one's relationship with the HFP was essentially the criteria for being nominated/winning. is that correct? even close? the only result i've seen is that HoD won best new series, and that right there tells me that these awards are a bunch of BS. zero chance in hell there weren't scores of better new shows, shows with, you know, compelling storylines and characters, and shit like that.

It won best drama, full stop. I would certainly favor Better Call Saul or Severance. Also love the Crown, though the latest season was its weakest. Ozark final season was the other nominee.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The host was genuinely terrible.  Most of his big jokes landed with an absolute thud.

it was also terrible production quality... all night long the camera was off, shooting from wrong angle, cutaway to nothing just randomly, weird spastic audience shots...plus the commercial break buffers on both sides were awkward, intro music missing (which is partly why i think Jermichael seemed so stilted at times)... just overall a really bad production. 

i've never really thought about how/why the guy who directs the Academy Awards gets nominated for an Emmy, but i get it now lol.

Edited by mchookem

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

everyone makes fun of award shows, but tonight was very entertaining. though not due to the host or anything actually planned. that was mostly bad comedy and took forever. 

some highlights:

Another sidebar kind of apropos of nothing.  I used to think Colin Ferrell was kind of or entirely a pretty-boy douchebag, but he seems like a genuinely good dude from the things I've seen in the last few years.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Another sidebar kind of apropos of nothing.  I used to think Colin Ferrell was kind of or entirely a pretty-boy douchebag, but he seems like a genuinely good dude from the things I've seen in the last few years.

take away the 2-3 years when studios tried to turn him into an action hero/movie star (whenever he made phone booth/swat/alexander/daredevil) and he's had a really quality career.  over the past 15 years he's made a lot of great choices (the martin mcdonagh films especially).

if you have not seen tigerland, in bruges, seven psychopaths, or the gentlemen, you should get to work.  shit, he was even great in the latest batman movie. 

as for being a pretty-boy douchebag, who's to say.  there was a 10 year period when he was living on and off at the chateau and you would often see him liquored up chatting up young blondos, which is what we would all do if we were in his position, so good on him.

• Hook 'Em 2

take away the 2-3 years when studios tried to turn him into an action hero/movie star (whenever he made phone booth/swat/alexander/daredevil) and he's had a really quality career.  over the past 15 years he's made a lot of great choices (the martin mcdonagh films especially).

if you have not seen tigerland, in bruges, seven psychopaths, or the gentlemen, you should get to work.  shit, he was even great in the latest batman movie. 

as for being a pretty-boy douchebag, who's to say.  there was a 10 year period when he was living on and off at the chateau and you would often see him liquored up chatting up young blondos, which is what we would all do if we were in his position, so good on him.

I’d add The Lobster to the list too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have seen all of those and he has turned into a fine actor, which still leaves room for him to be a dbag, but I was referring to personal interviews and so forth.  

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I love Colin Farrell, have for a long time. I think his d-bag persona was not a big part of his life in Hollywood. At any rate, I have Banshees on my DVR and will watch soon. In Bruges is one of my all-time favorite films.