John Fetterman - saving America with sweatshirts and Umbros

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Lighten up.  It's "just" depression.  Not to minimize it, but plenty of people function pretty well with depression, including, notably, Winston Churchill.

I imagine the physical and mental toll the stroke took has exacerbated whatever usual tendency he may have had toward depression beforehand.  That's not uncommon.

I dunno, if it's severe enough for a hospital visit, it doesn't sound like a small thing to me. 

Many of the more interesting and pivotal people in human history have been inflicted with mental illness. People need to recognize it, and probably embrace it, as part of the human condition. Post-stroke depression is extremely common. This should not be particularly surprising. The fact that it resulted in a hospital admission is concerning though, but I don't think that any of us know the protocols for people in his role. Let's just hope that there were not serious self-harm thoughts or other issue underlying the admission. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Accepting help and stepping back from a job is not a sign of weakness. Unfortunately his job isn't just a assembly line or an office worker where someone else can step in. He has requirements that if he can't perform them, it just doesn't get done. 

55 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's directed at people on this very thread that think Fetterman can't perform his duties under emotional duress.  When there's plenty of examples of Senators still showing up for work, when they're not in Cancun, undergoing all kinda personal shit.  Fetterman got this.

1200px-Tommy_Tuberville_official_portrai

says hi

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I dunno, if it's severe enough for a hospital visit, it doesn't sound like a small thing to me. 

Actually, as a Senator, he's probably in a unique position.  Most people can't get or afford an inpatient stay for medication management and diagnosis without being a harm to themselves or others.  He can.

And, there may be some "sorting" to do between stroke after-effects and depression, and possibly some post-stroke considerations in medication management.

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, as a Senator, he's probably in a unique position.  Most people can't get or afford an inpatient stay for medication management and diagnosis without being a harm to themselves or others.  He can.

And, there may be some "sorting" to do between stroke after-effects and depression, and possibly some post-stroke considerations in medication management.

Yeah, he is in a unique position based on his role and recent history. At this point no reason to speculate publically beyond that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

anyone spinning this in a negative light can take a long walk off a short pier. it's depression, not attempted suicide like some senator's wife or daughter. this nation could do a LOT of healing by confronting its mental health crisis. I see this as a large step in the right direction. good on him, I hope he gets the help he needs, and that he feels fit to fulfill his duty. I'm betting this will make him a stronger senator, not a weaker one

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2023 at 12:44 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Agree that it sounds like Fetterman needs to step aside to let someone else serve the PA citizens. 

The PA governor appoints someone to fill the spot until the next statewide general election, presumably 2024, who then would complete the rest of Fetterman's term. I don't know if PA has a rule that the appointee has to be from the same party but that seems unimportant since the governor is also a Democrat.

what if i want the pa governor to fill the spot?

obviously i'd prefer fetterman resumes his role, but shapiro is going places.

On 2/16/2023 at 5:28 PM, Anastasis said:

Many of the more interesting and pivotal people in human history have been inflicted with mental illness. People need to recognize it, and probably embrace it, as part of the human condition. Post-stroke depression is extremely common. This should not be particularly surprising. The fact that it resulted in a hospital admission is concerning though, but I don't think that any of us know the protocols for people in his role. Let's just hope that there were not serious self-harm thoughts or other issue underlying the admission. 

There is definitely a fine line between genius and madness. 

would have been nice to have an option other than Oz for Pennsylvanians to vote for

He is in this position because rather than resting post his initial stroke he was forced to continue to campaign. That was a decision made by him, his family, and his team. The depression is kicking in because he might be aware that his recovery is fucked given the most major improvements happen in those first few months. I hope he gets better and is able to live a good life but he is never going to be what he was that made him such a good candidate/politician.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:56 AM, babysdaddy said:

He is in this position because rather than resting post his initial stroke he was forced to continue to campaign. That was a decision made by him, his family, and his team. The depression is kicking in because he might be aware that his recovery is fucked given the most major improvements happen in those first few months. I hope he gets better and is able to live a good life but he is never going to be what he was that made him such a good candidate/politician.

71-ybkVck6L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sure, it's POSSIBLE he's not being treated for depression, which is an extremely common issue after major medical events.  My dad was on Prozac for the last 20+ years of his life following quadruple bypass.

So yeah, maybe Fetterman checked himself into the hospital for brain death.

Wait, wut?

Fucking idiots.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Reporting what conservatives are saying right now. I hope it’s not true.

Did Hunter's laptop tell you this information?

Seriously, jettison any "news" source or friend that you heard this from out of your life. People dumb enough to believe that they're going to try to hide a United States Senator in a basement for 6 months and pray that the dozens of people that are aware of his "brain dead" condition don't talk are fucking hopeless.

You having to "hope" it isn't true doesn't exactly make you look particularly bright either.

• Hook 'Em 1

This kind of shit is why we're fucked as a society. If I was a bad faith actor trying to stir shit up, I would have "reported" that I'm hearing that Fetterman's condition is even worse than they're letting on, and his team is trying to determine what the best path forward is before making it public.

Nuance, believability, probably even a kernel of truth in there.

But, nah, these days you can just go off the fucking deep end--"He's brain dead, and they're going to put him on ice until September, so Democrats don't inevitably lose the special election...you know, because GOP candidates have been doing so great lately in PA state-wide elections"--and plenty of people will still lap that shit up.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

This kind of shit is why we're fucked as a society. If I was a bad faith actor trying to stir shit up, I would have "reported" that I'm hearing that Fetterman's condition is even worse than they're letting on, and his team is trying to determine what the best path forward is before making it public.

Nuance, believability, probably even a kernel of truth in there.

But, nah, these days you can just go off the fucking deep end--"He's brain dead, and they're going to put him on ice until September, so Democrats don't inevitably lose the special election...you know, because GOP candidates have been doing so great lately in PA state-wide elections"--and plenty of people will still lap that shit up.

The preferred nomenclature is “social media personality.”

• Rage+1 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:20 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s false. They don’t give a fuck about mass shootings even when it’s little children that are being slaughtered.

Well they do, but it's always within the framework of "thoughts and prayers are enough" and "mental illness."

• Pancho changed the title to John Fetterman - saving America with sweatshirts and Umbros