Child labor in the US. (It still happens.)

Parliament

Basically child slaves.  Not good.

The Labor Department said Friday it found 102 children as young as 13 working hazardous overnight jobs cleaning slaughterhouses in eight states in what it called a “corporate-wide failure” by one of the largest food sanitation companies in the country, Packers Sanitation Services Inc.

“Our investigation found Packers Sanitation Services’ systems flagged some young workers as minors, but the company ignored the flags. When the Wage and Hour Division arrived with warrants, the adults — who had recruited, hired and supervised these children — tried to derail our efforts to investigate their employment practices,” said Michael Lazzeri, regional administrator for the division in Chicago. 

Advocates and lawyers for the children say some of the child workers for PSSI were unaccompanied minors who recently came across the southern border. Unaccompanied minors are processed by the Border Patrol and then turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement within the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then matched with sponsors who usually have some link to their families.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-find-100-children-cleaning-slaughterhouses-pssi-rcna71171

• Rage+1 2

Seems relevant to this thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/02/11/child-labor-iowa

In a tight labor market, some states look to another type of worker: Children

Bills advancing in the Iowa and Minnesota state legislatures would roll back child workplace protections to address worker shortages

As local economies grapple with a tightening labor market, some state legislatures are looking to relax child labor protections to help employers meet hiring needs.

It’s part of a persistent trend in labor economics, experts say. When employers struggle to find talent, many prefer to hire younger, cheaper workers rather than increase pay and benefits to attract adults.

“Because of the high demand for workers, where there are holes in the system, unfortunately child laborers can get caught up in staffing some of those holes,” said David Weil, a professor of social policy and management at Brandeis University, and a former wage and hour administrator in the Labor Department.

Legislators in Iowa and Minnesota introduced bills in January to loosen child labor law regulations around age and workplace safety protections in some of the country’s most dangerous workplaces. Minnesota’s bill would permit 16- and 17-year-olds to work construction jobs. The Iowa measure would allow 14- and 15-year-olds to work certain jobs in meatpacking plants.

ADVERTISING

The Iowa bill, introduced by state Sen. Jason Schultz (R), would permit children as young as 14 to work in industrial freezers and meat coolers, provided they are separate from where meat is prepared, and work in industrial laundry.

At 15, they would be able to work as lifeguards and swimming instructors, perform light assembly-line work after obtaining a waiver from state officials, and load and unload up to 50 pounds of products from vehicles and store shelves with a waiver “depending on the strength and ability of the fifteen-year-old.”

The Iowa proposal would also expand hours teenagers can work during the school year, and would shield businesses from civil liability if a youth worker is sickened, injured or killed on the job.

Schultz did not respond to requests for comment. Critics say the proposal is dangerous and would subject child workers to hazardous environments.

Basically child slaves.  Not good.
The Labor Department said Friday it found 102 children as young as 13 working hazardous overnight jobs cleaning slaughterhouses in eight states in what it called a “corporate-wide failure” by one of the largest food sanitation companies in the country, Packers Sanitation Services Inc.
“Our investigation found Packers Sanitation Services’ systems flagged some young workers as minors, but the company ignored the flags. When the Wage and Hour Division arrived with warrants, the adults — who had recruited, hired and supervised these children — tried to derail our efforts to investigate their employment practices,” said Michael Lazzeri, regional administrator for the division in Chicago. 
Advocates and lawyers for the children say some of the child workers for PSSI were unaccompanied minors who recently came across the southern border. Unaccompanied minors are processed by the Border Patrol and then turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement within the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then matched with sponsors who usually have some link to their families.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-find-100-children-cleaning-slaughterhouses-pssi-rcna71171

“Corporate-wide failure”.

Nope nope, it’s working exactly how they wanted it to. No failure there.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

16 is a minor. Some a’ y’all would blush at finding out what people that age are responsible for on family farms. Insert joke here.

in my humble opinion, the trafficking aspect is way the hell more important than actually having young people work.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Some were as young as 13. They were working the midnight shift, cleaning dangerous machinery and using dangerous chemicals.

No that’s totally fine. Stupid sensitive soy boy libtard laws protecting our kids 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Some were as young as 13. They were working the midnight shift, cleaning dangerous machinery and using dangerous chemicals. But sure tell us more about the importance of hard work when growing up.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No that’s totally fine. Stupid sensitive soy boy libtard laws protecting our kids 

That isn't what I said, but run with your politics.  Immigration discussion anyone?

The trafficking is the root of the issue.  I'd also contend companies found to be in violation not just be fined, but cease operations; with individuals facing jail time.

Is that fair enough?

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Woosh 

Oh ha... I wasn't paying close attention and thought your post was from the imbecile to whom I originally responded. It was probably the green in both of your avatars. Plus my browser doesn't go straight to the post and I have to scroll from the bottom up.

7 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

At least in Texas, you can start working most types of jobs at 14, so it’s not really the age that’s shocking. It’s the danger of the work at that age and the potential trafficking issues 

Graveyard shift...not going to look it up but that can't be legal even in Texas.

12 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Who had "slorch will defend child labor" on their bingo card?

11 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Everybody.

and it's still blank.  but don't stop now, you're rolling.

maxresdefault.jpg

14 hours ago, YGIFS said:

"Trafficking" seems to be a buzzword here, probably since it was only invented as an illegal practice 2 years ago.

I'm sure we can all brag until we're in blue in the face about working as kids this young back in our day.  But I'm not sure where the fuck some of y'all grew up but there is no mom 'n pop slaughterhouse passed down from generation to generation.  This is slave labor and child exploitation.  

But lemonade stands and lawn mowing bidnass, I was 13??!

Trafficking is the root of of these issues. Like drugs, we can’t get laws fixed because there are too many folks on both sides profiting bigly from open borders.

In this situation we have 100 trafficked kids but it’s likely those plants are full of undocumented adults as well. Human trafficking needs to be a capital level crime, including operating a business by employing kids and the undocumented. They are relegated to an underground economy fueled by slave labor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, slorch said:

That isn't what I said, but run with your politics.  Immigration discussion anyone?

The trafficking is the root of the issue.  I'd also contend companies found to be in violation not just be fined, but cease operations; with individuals facing jail time.

Is that fair enough?

Found to be in violation of what?

33 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Trafficking is the root of of these issues. Like drugs, we can’t get laws fixed because there are too many folks on both sides profiting bigly from open borders.

In this situation we have 100 trafficked kids but it’s likely those plants are full of undocumented adults as well. Human trafficking needs to be a capital level crime, including operating a business by employing kids and the undocumented. They are relegated to an underground economy fueled by slave labor.

Wait, your solution is to make it impossible for undocumented immigrants to make a living? Ignoring that it would devastate sectors of our economy, it would also force those folks to work in completely illegal areas, not subject to any regulation. It definitely isn't going protect them. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Chopper said:

Graveyard shift...not going to look it up but that can't be legal even in Texas.

Fair point. I do remember something like that from my first jobs. But I think it only applied on school nights, because I don’t think we had the same restrictions during the summer. That certainly could’ve changed in the last 25 or so years since this was applicable for me though

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Human trafficking needs to be a capital level crime, including operating a business by employing kids and the undocumented. They are relegated to an underground economy fueled by slave labor.

Well say goodbye to nearly every construction company, restaurant, factory, farm, etc in Texas then. (Only referring to undocumented adult workers, agree with you about children.)

As to your last sentence, I won’t disagree that is factual in certain circumstances. But it is definitely a small minority (again, at least as far as Texas is concerned).

Edited by SquishMitten

21 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

At least in Texas, you can start working most types of jobs at 14, so it’s not really the age that’s shocking. It’s the danger of the work at that age and the potential trafficking issues 

Exactly. My son turns 14 in a few months and is chomping at the bit to work and earn income. I'm thrilled because I was a lazy POS at that age....ok, fine, I'm still a lazy POS.

I've worked at food plants serviced by PSSI and their hiring was shady as shit. The smart ones, though, brought people in through temp agencies. They left it up to the temp agencies to vet the workers and played dumb when the subject of undocumented workers came up.

The owners of the pallet company in Arizona who got jail time should be the model for how to handle this shit. Not some paltry 1.5 million fine.

3 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Exactly. My son turns 14 in a few months and is chomping at the bit to work and earn income. I'm thrilled because I was a lazy POS at that age....ok, fine, I'm still a lazy POS.

Article in the local paper a year ago quoted a fast food franchise owner saying, "I prefer youngs (presumably legally-hired) over grownups.  A 15 year old kid who comes in and applies you know is gonna be good."

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Meh.  Check out the bills on the table in places like Iowa and Missouri - by GQP legislatures, of course.  Lower the working age, get more children out there, and....seriously....this is my FAVORITE part -- ban employer liability if their negligence gets a 14 year old killed.  

That's "the free market" for ya, and "gittin' gubmint out of our lives!"  You know what ELSE is the absolute "free market," allowing "two parties to enter into a financial transaction as they wish?"  Slavery.  Who are YOU to tell me that I can't buy a slave from a willing seller!  Oh, and don't be coming at me with your teachin' on bullshit like "the 13th amendment" and shit - we don't need CRT like that in our schools!

There is nothing -- not a single element -- of human progress made over the past 250 years that the GQP doesn't want to roll back.  Not.  One.

Child labor, working with zero protection in the courts, with zero environmental or safety regulations.  This is the GQP dream.  Huge swaths of America voted for this, and wants MORE of it.

Coming soon, the end of the 5 day work week…but not in the way we hoped, the return of company stores and paying employees in company script, and employer subsidized healthcare. Then they will bring back top hats and walking sticks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Article in the local paper a year ago quoted a fast food franchise owner saying, "I prefer youngs (presumably legally-hired) over grownups.  A 15 year old kid who comes in and applies you know is gonna be good."

Man, you really gotta hope no one quotes you out of context when you say shit like that. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Haha 1

Do they children mine the spice right up until the worms are under them?  

I did not have any of the excuses for this on my bingo card for 13 years olds with working in dangerous meatpacking plants and slaughterhouses with no supervision and no health coverage or liability protection.  

Some Texans remind me of Sue in "Swingers"

"Hey man, these kids near to learn a work ethic.  They don't know what it's like in the real world.  I worked a dangerous ass job when I was there age!"

-You worked at your uncle's garden center, Sue.

"Whatever man, there were thorns. I kept our rep, yo!" 

On 2/18/2023 at 5:18 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Who had "slorch will defend child labor" on their bingo card?

Add  "porterhouse will down vote a post saying 13 yr olds shouldn't be cleaning dangerous machinery with dangerous chemicals" and you've got the free center square covered. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Add  "porterhouse will down vote a post saying 13 yr olds shouldn't be cleaning dangerous machinery with dangerous chemicals" and you've got the free center square covered. 

I think he's still upset from Rianna touching herself inappropriately at the Super Bowl in front of his young daughter. 

I too found it weird to watch on TV with my kids, but what was Porterhouse's daughter doing up that late when she had to work a double shift in the basement of the Cargil Meat Factory the next morning?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1