45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok, here's where I was confused.  Glad they somewhat cleared it up.  

My question now, how is it only going to take a few days or whatever for the regular grand jury to see all those witnesses and their testimony again?  Or does Willis just go "here's what all these people said" and run through it all real fast?

I have not served on a grand jury here, but I have family that has and did have an experience with a special grand jury and was able to ask about it.  His experience was that the special grand jury report is presented to them, read aloud, then they are given the opportunity to read it themselves prior to deliberation.  From there, they can either decide to indict or ask for a recall of witnesses (which did not happen in his experience).  They also have the opportunity to ask for clarification, which did not happen in his case either.  From there they can indict on all counts or deliberate each individual count.  What he told me is that it would surprise him if they had to deliberate really anything because much like Jack Smith's indictments, they are very clear cut and dry.  The general question isn't guilt or innocence per se, it's to establish whether or not their is reason to believe there were crimes committed to elevate things to a trial.  Also, it's majority thing, a unanimous decision isn't necessary.  

Basically, the special grand jury, in conjunction with the prosecutor and their office has conducted the investigative portion of the work (of course with the assistance of the police, GBI, FBI, etc) and made recommendations.  The grand jury has the choice to affirm or deny that investigation as it relates to actually indicting.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Maybe if she gets convicted, the Texas State Bar will disbar her finally.  What do you think, @TwiceHorn?  I'm gonna go with no because the law profession seemingly has no standards for who can practice.

Felony conviction for a serious crime is an almost automatic disbarment.  Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure. § 8.01, (Texas Center for Legal Ethics, 2023) from https://legalethicstexas.com/resources/rules/texas-rules-of-disciplinary-procedure/generally/ (last visited Aug 12, 2023)

Because, as usual on this matter, you are utterly and completely full of shit.  The Texas Bar Journal, around the staples, reports the disbarment or suspension of at least two attorneys a month and the discipline in other ways of at least a dozen more.  I'll be waiting for you to show equivalent revocation of licenses from any CPA regulatory body.

Also, Powell is being pursued by the Bar and you damn well know it.  Whether the Bar can win the lawsuit does not mean the profession has no standards.

ETA:  To wit, the most recent edition of the TBJ dedicates five pages to lawyer discipline, including two almost full pages of disbarments and suspensions, including five disbarments and six suspensions. https://lsc-pagepro.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=21412&i=794510&p=66&ver=html5 starting at page 518.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Or, as one source who’s been in the room recently with federal investigators succinctly puts it: “Sidney’s fucked.” 

Asked to comment on the source’s two-word characterization, Parlatore simply replied with his own two-word statement: “I agree.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/donald-trump-jack-smith-sidney-powell-indictment-1234804906/

38 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I have not served on a grand jury here, but I have family that has and did have an experience with a special grand jury and was able to ask about it.  His experience was that the special grand jury report is presented to them, read aloud, then they are given the opportunity to read it themselves prior to deliberation.  From there, they can either decide to indict or ask for a recall of witnesses (which did not happen in his experience).  They also have the opportunity to ask for clarification, which did not happen in his case either.  From there they can indict on all counts or deliberate each individual count.  What he told me is that it would surprise him if they had to deliberate really anything because much like Jack Smith's indictments, they are very clear cut and dry.  The general question isn't guilt or innocence per se, it's to establish whether or not their is reason to believe there were crimes committed to elevate things to a trial.  Also, it's majority thing, a unanimous decision isn't necessary.  

Basically, the special grand jury, in conjunction with the prosecutor and their office has conducted the investigative portion of the work (of course with the assistance of the police, GBI, FBI, etc) and made recommendations.  The grand jury has the choice to affirm or deny that investigation as it relates to actually indicting.  

I believe that is probably correct.  I also believe that Willis will not do it that way so as to avoid as much taint as possible stemming from any irregularities in the special purpose grand jury.

For one thing, not every witness before the special grand jury is necessary for an indictment of a particular defendant or group of them.  The special grand jury probably went down more than a couple of rabbit holes.  They also spent a good deal of time subpoenaing people and waiting for their appearance.

I'd expect Willis to recall as many live witnesses as she can and rely on prior testimony transcripts where she can't easily get live witnesses.  

I believe the "indicting" grand jury was impaneled last month and has probably been steadily plugging away all this time.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Powell got her info that the election was stolen from a psychic. Rudy said he saw something on facebook. 

This is what Dotardco is going to argue in court. No no, it was totally cool that he tried to overturn the election, because he really did believe it. Wackos hearing from psychics and shit on facebook.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On Powell and some of the other co-conspirators, but Powell especially, I hope she gets got on fraud in connection with Defending America.

I worry that an indictment over the "individual pieces" of the conspiracy may be less convincing as a crime than being connected to the whole thing, as Trump is.

Just like indicting Trump for the 1/6 speech alone I think would be problematic, but when you see it as the culimination of a multi-element conspiracy of a) bogus election claims b) interference with state electoral procedures c) the fake elector scheme including the d) browbeating of Pence and finally e) the culmination of a)-d), you got yosef a crime.

Indictments over just one or two of a)-e) I see as a bit more problematic.  Eastman gets tagged for most or all of them, not so sure about the rest.  But they do probably know some stuff we don't know.

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of Powell and the SBOT, the appellant's brief is on file  https://search.txcourts.gov/SearchMedia.aspx?MediaVersionID=15ca7035-a244-4d39-9345-073c4452a787&coa=coa05&DT=Brief&MediaID=4acf9b73-71ea-45f2-9604-589c7d7953b9

It's tight, nice work.  I'm still worried that the galactic fuckup with the exhibits remains a problem, but it does appear that all of the summary judgment evidence necessary to win was on file somewhere.

The other part I forgot to add is that his experience was also with a Rico case, which is fairly common here in Georgia as it relates to special grand juries.  Part of the reason RIco is used so effectively because once a criminal conspiracy is established, every person involved in the established conspiracy is responsible legally for everyone else's crimes.  It's most commonly used in drug cases and drug trafficking, but financial frauds and the like run along the same lines.

So for example:

1.  Drug Supplier A is involved in narcotics trafficking with Dealer A and Dealer B.  (Established conspiracy)

2.  Drug Dealer B kills rival Dealer C in a turf war (Murder 1)

3.  Drug Supplier A and Dealer A are now also criminally liable and are also charged with Murder 1, as well as all the drug charges.

The general teeth to this is that if you are in the mix with this, you'd better turn states evidence because now you might be on the hook for something in theory you had nothing to do with outside of the original criminal conspiracy, which is typically used in the plea deal.  So Dealer A turns states evidence and pleads to drug trafficking but has to testify against Supplier A and Dealer B.  Obviously, the legal consequences of Supplier A and Dealer B are significantly higher, but the prosecutor has an inside witness.

In his case, and I am doing this from memory and with really knowing the entire case, what he said surprised him was that they way the law reads, anyone remotely involved that failed to cooperate caught every charge.  How it turned out at trial I have no idea, but they all caught the full whack initially.  This had something to do with narcotics and laundering thru a church.  Basically, a street gang with an element operating under the guise of being a church.  

So bottom line, if this holds to form that I am familiar with (and to be sure, I am not an expert on this), if say for example Rudy did something illegal, even entirely of his own doing and not even with tacit approval of the group, it doesn't matter, because that crime is directly tied to the initial conspiracy, and therefore everyone involved in the conspiracy is criminally responsible for his actions and will be subsequently indicted as such. 

With all this in mind, and if all that holds to form, I expect that there will be lots of charges this week; and there will be lots of people indicted this week.  The people that didn't cut deals and were approached to do so are proper fucked as are the principal targets.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Maybe if she gets convicted, the Texas State Bar will disbar her finally.  What do you think, @TwiceHorn?  I'm gonna go with no because the law profession seemingly has no standards for who can practice.

you have to a special kind of sleaze bag / dumb to get disbarred in Texas 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Jenna is so brave. I fully supported Lyin Mc Liarface trump through all his previous lies. But now that he's lyin about Puddin fingers I must firmly withdraw my support.

Meatball Ron is by far the best nickname trump ever came up with. It's his one stroke of success in his shit filled life. I mean one look at this guy and it's clear if "Meatball Ron" was pictured in the dictionary it would be that fucking goober head. 

image.png

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Is Harrison Ford MAGA?  He would make a great first choice pilot.

Harrison Ford is most decidedly NOT MAGA.  He called Trump a son of a bitch and has explicitly stated that we need to stop electing people who don’t believe in science.  How dare you suggest Han Solo/Indiana Jones is MAGA.  Shame on you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Because Twitter is half-fucked this morning:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/13/politics/coffee-county-georgia-voting-system-breach-trump/index.html

Atlanta-area prosecutors investigating efforts to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia are in possession of text messages and emails directly connecting members of Donald Trump’s legal team to the early January 2021 voting system breach in Coffee County, sources tell CNN. 

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis is expected to seek charges against more than a dozen individuals when her team presents its case before a grand jury next week. Several individuals involved in the voting systems breach in Coffee County are among those who may face charges in the sprawling criminal probe. 

Investigators in the Georgia criminal probe have long suspected the breach was not an organic effort sprung from sympathetic Trump supporters in rural and heavily Republican Coffee County – a county Trump won by nearly 70% of the vote. They have gathered evidence indicating it was a top-down push by Trump’s team to access sensitive voting software, according to people familiar with the situation. 

Trump allies attempted to access voting systems after the 2020 election as part of the broader push to produce evidence that could back up the former president’s baseless claims of widespread fraud.

Spoiler

Together, the text messages and other court documents show how Trump lawyers and a group of hired operatives sought to access Coffee County’s voting systems in the days before January 6, 2021, as the former president’s allies continued a desperate hunt for any evidence of widespread fraud they could use to delay certification of Joe Biden’s electoral victory. 

 Last year, a former Trump official testified under oath to the House January 6 select committee that plans to access voting systems in Georgia were discussed in meetings at the White House, including during an Oval Office meeting on December 18, 2020,  that included Trump. 

Six days before pro-Trump operatives gained unauthorized access to voting systems, the local elections official who allegedly helped facilitate the breach sent a “written invitation” to attorneys working for Trump, according to text messages obtained by CNN. 

Investigators have scrutinized the actions of various individuals who were involved, including Misty Hampton, a former Coffee County elections official who authored the letter of invitation referenced in text messages and other documents that have been turned over to prosecutors, multiple sources told CNN. 

They have also examined the involvement of Trump’s then attorney Rudy Giuliani – who was informed last yearhe was a target in the Fulton County investigation – and fellow Trump lawyer Sidney Powell as part of their probe, according to people familiar with the matter. 

A spokesperson for Willis’ office declined to comment.

The letter of invitation was shared with attorneys and an investigator working with Giuliani at the time, the text messages obtained by CNN show. 

A ‘written invitation’ to access voting systems 

On January 1, 2021 – days ahead of the January 7 voting systems breach – Katherine Friess – an attorney working with Giuliani, Sidney Powell and other Trump allies shared a “written invitation” to examine voting systems in Coffee County with a group of Trump allies. 

That group included members of Sullivan Strickler, a firm hired by Trump’s attorneys to examine voting systems in the small, heavily Republican Georgia county, according to text messages obtained by CNN. 

That same day, Friess sent a “Letter of invitation to Coffee County, Georgia” to former NYPD Police Commissioner Bernie Kerik, who was working with Giuliani to find evidence that would back up their baseless claims of potential widespread voter fraud, according to court documents filed as part of an ongoing civil case. 

Friess then notified operatives who carried out the Coffee County breach and others working directly with Giuliani that Trump’s team had secured written permission, the texts show. 

CNN has not reviewed the substance of the invitation letter itself, only communications that confirm it was provided to Friess, Kerik and Sullivan Strickler employees. 

Friess could not be reached for comment.

The messages and documents appear to link Giuliani to the Coffee County breach, while shedding light on another channel of communication between pro-Trump attorneys and the battleground state operatives who worked together to provide unauthorized individuals access to sensitive voting equipment. 

“Rudy Giuliani had nothing to do with this,” said Robert Costello, Giuliani’s attorney. “You can’t attach Rudy Giuliani to Sidney Powell’s crackpot idea.”

“Just landed back in DC with the Mayor huge things starting to come together!” an employee from the firm Sullivan Strickler, which was hired by Sidney Powell to examine voting systems in Coffee County, wrote in a group chat with other colleagues on January 1. 

Former New York Mayor Giuliani was consistently referred to as “the Mayor,” in other texts sent by the same individual and others at the time. 

“Most immediately, we were just granted access – by written invitation! – to Coffee County’s systems. Yay!” the text reads. 

Breaking into Coffee County

Shortly after Election Day, Hampton – still serving as the top election official for Coffee County – warned during a state election board meeting that Dominion voting machines could “very easily” be manipulated to flip votes from one candidate to another. It’s a claim that has been repeatedly debunked. 

But the Trump campaign officials took notice and reached out to Hampton that same day. “I would like to obtain as much information as possible,” a Trump campaign staffer emailed Hampton at the time, according to documents released as part of a public records request and first reported by the Washington Post. 

In early December, Hampton then delayed certification of Joe Biden’s win in Georgia by refusing to validate the recount results by a key deadline. Coffee County was the only county in Georgia that failed to certify its election results due to issues raised by Hampton at the time. 

Hampton also posted a video online claiming to expose problems with the county’s Dominion voting system. That video was used by Trump’s lawyers, including Giuliani, as part of their push to convince legislators from multiple states that there was evidence the 2020 election results were tainted by voting system issues. 

Text messages and other documents obtained by CNN show Trump allies were seeking access to Coffee County’s voting system by mid-December amid increasing demands for proof of widespread election fraud. 

Coffee County was specifically cited in draft executive orders for seizing voting machines that were presented to Trump on December 18, 2020, during a chaotic Oval Office meeting, CNN has reported. During that same meeting, Giuliani alluded to a plan to gain “voluntary access” to machines in Georgia, according to testimony from him and others before the House January 6 committee. 

Days later, Hampton shared the written invitation to access the county’s election office with a Trump lawyer, text messages obtained by CNN show. She and another location elections official, Cathy Latham, allegedly helped Trump operatives gain access to the county’s voting systems, according to documents, testimony and surveillance video produced as part of a long-running civil lawsuit focused on election security in Georgia. 

Latham, who also served as a fake elector from Georgia after the 2020 election, has come under scrutiny for her role in the Coffee County breach after surveillance video showed she allowed unauthorized outsiders to spend hours examining voting systems there.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So are legal teams in the habit of doing things without the knowledge and approval of their client?

In those wild, carefree days of late 2020/early 2021, I'm assuming they operated freely without direct knowledge and approval from Trump, because they were "saving democracy".

I figure it was more a directive from Trump to Rudy and superfriends to "do whatever you have to do, don't worry about the courts, and we will cover the costs"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Also

That’s Alicia Menendez. She was filling in last week for Nicolle Wallace who apparently has Covid. She’s using Trump’s full title like Nicolle always does. That’s Nicolle’s bit.

Alicia’s okay. She’s got kind of a buckteeth thing going on but it’s not too bad. A pair of oversized front…teeth…can be overlooked. She speaks well and really enunciates her consonants. She’s also got a nice sort of medium-low pitch to her voice, sort of sultry.

IMG_7773.thumb.jpeg.676127e82c5cb99f0bd3964651e5fef9.jpeg

IMG_7775.thumb.jpeg.26669f0bc7912402384ea77b421cb9b2.jpeg

I like her and am trying to show her in a flattering light. But for the sake of full disclosure, here’s a cap that gives a good look at her choppers. It’s not egregious but they’re there and you can hear it when she speaks. It’s a little bit like when someone with braces speaks. She’s speaking around them. Just an observation. I’m not trying to be cruel.

Spoiler

IMG_7887.thumb.jpeg.70bf50cec9a0b956b35f19cc1214dfb2.jpeg

• Fuck You 1
  • Drool 4

Sydney Powell went from a federal prosecutor who co-workers and work acquaintances have said showed no real interest in politics either way and worked a lot for women's rights to a complete nut job trying to overthrow the government for Donald Trump and a party that has hammered women's rights for decades. 

The power of the cult on the lost mind. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Sydney Powell went from a federal prosecutor who co-workers and work acquaintances have said showed no real interest in politics either way and worked a lot for women's rights to a complete nut job trying to overthrow the government for Donald Trump and a party that has hammered women's rights for decades. 

The power of the cult on the lost mind. 

We have seen this with so many people. It would be fascinating to watch, if it weren't so scary and disgusting. 

Felony conviction for a serious crime is an almost automatic disbarment.  Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure. § 8.01, (Texas Center for Legal Ethics, 2023) from https://legalethicstexas.com/resources/rules/texas-rules-of-disciplinary-procedure/generally/ (last visited Aug 12, 2023)
Because, as usual on this matter, you are utterly and completely full of shit.  The Texas Bar Journal, around the staples, reports the disbarment or suspension of at least two attorneys a month and the discipline in other ways of at least a dozen more.  I'll be waiting for you to show equivalent revocation of licenses from any CPA regulatory body.
Also, Powell is being pursued by the Bar and you damn well know it.  Whether the Bar can win the lawsuit does not mean the profession has no standards.
ETA:  To wit, the most recent edition of the TBJ dedicates five pages to lawyer discipline, including two almost full pages of disbarments and suspensions, including five disbarments and six suspensions. https://lsc-pagepro.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=21412&i=794510&p=66&ver=html5 starting at page 518.

All that, but she still has a Texas law license.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I still can’t figure out why, if the courts and various state and local governments won’t take a look at all of this evidence and proof, that they don’t just release it to the public for us all to see how corrupt the system is that is protecting all of this election interference/fraud. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Goddamn every single disbarment is for mishandling of client funds or failing to be responsive to clients. Powell did neither of these things. I'd bet the SBOT finds a way to just oopsie whoopsie poopsie this one too, just like they already did. 

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I still can’t figure out why, if the courts and various state and local governments won’t take a look at all of this evidence and proof, that they don’t just release it to the public for us all to see how corrupt the system is that is protecting all of this election interference/fraud. 

C5D8331A-3CC4-4449-A7D5-A28B2DE5C0A1.gif.9649fadc6e4f1b7dd5aaf77e0e0bb426.gif

They are going to need a bigger server for the Giglio production

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Goddamn every single disbarment is for mishandling of client funds or failing to be responsive to clients. Powell did neither of these things. I'd bet the SBOT finds a way to just oopsie whoopsie poopsie this one too, just like they already did. 

You can harm the profession and intentionally defraud the system it serves, but if you don't return phone calls it's your ass. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Jesus , Chewy, what part about “felony conviction” escapes you?
I mean she still has one today. What this mess has taught me is that lawyers get a bad rap for a good reason. Your profession has taken 'a vigorous defense' and turned it into a free for all. And if I had a law license, I'd be mad as hell about the damage this is doing to my profession, not crowing that she'll finally lose her license upon conviction.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Harrison Ford is most decidedly NOT MAGA.  He called Trump a son of a bitch and has explicitly stated that we need to stop electing people who don’t believe in science.  How dare you suggest Han Solo/Indiana Jones is MAGA.  Shame on you.

The joke was he wanted Harrison Ford to be the pilot. He’s a notoriously “error-prone” pilot and should’ve had his license taken away. I think he’s landed twice on the taxiway and multiple other fuckups.

https://www.wideopencountry.com/rare-harrison-ford-airplane/

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Fuck You 1

Jesus , Chewy, what part about “felony conviction” escapes you?
I mean she still has one today. What this mess has taught me is that lawyers get a bad rap for a good reason. Your profession has taken 'a vigorous defense' and turned it into a free for all. And if I had a law license, I'd be mad as hell about the damage this is doing to my profession, not crowing that she'll finally lose her license upon conviction.
39B9E6A8-7AED-45F3-8F6F-13A8AFABAE16.gif.0f23a1c2e4416bda96390d9699bb05c0.gif
Twice just explained that it’s pretty cut and dried when there’s a felony conviction. As yet there is no felony conviction. This seems to offend you. You are also complaining about nothing being done after Twice posts actual pleadings from the actual proceedings to disbar her.   Which, I guess, means you do not really want a longer due process proceeding, just an instant disbarment when someone on a football forum demands a person lose their license.  (note: we all agree she should lose her license)
As I recall, you were also one of the people here whose perspicacity told you that Donald Trump would never be indicted by anyone.    We said these things take time.   Indictment Four drops this week.  
This is sort of like that.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So are legal teams in the habit of doing things without the knowledge and approval of their client?

Won’t someone rid me of these turbulent voting machines?

also they picked a district he won by > +20 to hack? 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

As I understand it, Willis has knowledge of Trump's presence in the Oval Office when this plan to get county election officials to allow a peek under the voting systems hood was *successfully* launched.  That's gonna leave a mark.  He can assert that it was his campaign lawyers, that he had nothing to do with it, but if he was in the room and he knew of the plan, then his failure to put an end to it makes him complicit.  (Disclosure:  not a lawyer.)

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated