45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

45 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Hey, the Lobos only vote Republican for judges, so it's all good. Fuck the GOP from soup to nuts

I don’t know if you ever read ballots, but a lot of judicial races are between two republicans in Texas.  So by voting for the least shitty one, I’ve voted for a Republican judge.  Well go over primary ballots some other time but some years I pull Rep, others I pull Dem depending on what’s competitive.  Wasn’t my idea 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Eh.  It's strange, sure enough, for what ought to be a fairly routine matter.

In the end though she granted the right to a file a sur-reply.  Big fucking deal.

One irony, that shows Woodward has a cunt streak is that the government objected to the sur-reply. He bitched a blue streak about that.  That after Trumpco similarly objected to a reply on the trial scheduling issue in DC.

There's no big urgency here.  The government alleges that the actual conflict doesn't arise until trial, when Taveras testifies against Nauta.  It may be interesting what happens at any Garcia hearing, given what happened with Taveras, but I don't think there's any reason to believe Nauta will flip, he's a true believer.

Woodward appears to be pissing down his leg on this, mostly because the government did everything pretty much correctly, but got the unsealing orders ex parte, so Woodward was unaware.  Inasmuch as no witness has the right to counsel at a grand jury hearing, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with such ex parte filings.  But, the government can let a lawyer's nose into the tent, and that appears to have happened here.  Not sure what their obligations are here.

The signal even that seems to have led to this is Cannon's striking of the sealed filings accompanying the Garcia motion, which largely explain everything.  She said "The Special Counsel states in conclusory terms that the supplement should be sealed from public view “to comport with grand jury secrecy,” but the motion for leave and the supplement plainly fail to satisfy the burden of establishing a sufficient legal or factual basis to warrant sealing the motion and supplement."

That baffles me.  I am not sure what kind of showing one needs to make when the items filed bear the style and case number of the grand jury proceeding and orders of the DC court permitting disclosure.  And Rule 6, Fed. R. Crim. P.. makes it pretty clear that shit is to remain sealed and undisclosed until order of the judge presiding over the grand jury.  Maybe it was the fact that the DC court's order permitted public disclosure.

None of this really advantages Trump in any way.  It'a a sideshow.  But it seems to show that she is kind of a dipshit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Genco said:

spacer.png

The whole mess is unduly complicated and Aileen Cannon is a complicating factor.

Woodward is also taking pretty indiscriminate shots at the government that are proving to be factually unfounded.  That should start to hurt his credibility at some point.

1 hour ago, Genco said:

spacer.png

Twice is saying that the dual-facing himidragons might be a Spitzfaden lateral away from a stasis-bending enfilade.  

We are waiting for the more ancient third-degree Mandarins to examine Cannon’s stool samples.  Then we may know. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes but also 36 stars so not our flag

The Dutchman messed that up but it's still a better flag painting than most. We got correct number of stripes at least. Can't count how many times I've seen some hokey artsy-crafty flag with maybe half that many stripes.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I get the symbolism. I just don’t like the juxtaposition. Everything about him offends me. 

Our flag and the "republic for which it stands" begin to offend me. The flag begins to represent the toxic self-deceit that we use to ignore or justify our every bad act.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think the problem here is that the magats, and a lot of other Rs (so basically all of them), don’t even know what government is supposed to do or be about. Civics is a completely foreign concept to them and politics are just another form of entertainment. It’s all just happening on tv and doesn’t affect them. 

“ our favorite president golfed today, as per usual“

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes but also 36 stars so not our flag

Which states did they leave off (besides Missourah)

11 hours ago, Horndog said:

If they are "Free Trump Flags" how can there be profits?

*just pay shipping and handling 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m offended by the corruption of the pledge by the insertion of the words “under god.” It’s more meaningful without them and I don’t recognize them. I think they should be officially removed. “One nation indivisible” is a more powerful expression and it looks to me like there a lot of Americans who could use a reminder. I think some might forget how recently the change was made.

I'd be ok with a compromise on the 'one nation' part... You wanna be 'under' something? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not ready for people like Trump and his ilk — the white supremacists, the fascists, the neo-Confederates, the religious bigots — to redefine what America represents or stands for.

I think that's true for everybody including many of the Trumpists who would fail to recognize that they're doing what they're doing.

Dealing with Trumpists is more akin to cancer than armed conflict. The cancer is attached and pervasive. You can try the chemotherapy of logic, facts, and debate to separate the less malignant carcinomas. After that, the best chance for cure is mortally risky excision.

I can't think of any other cures, and that depresses me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think that's true for everybody including many of the Trumpists who would fail to recognize that they're doing what they're doing.

Dealing with Trumpists is more akin to cancer than armed conflict. The cancer is attached and pervasive. You can try the chemotherapy of logic, facts, and debate to separate the less malignant carcinomas. After that, the best chance for cure is mortally risky excision.

Ahem…”targeted therapeutics”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I agree with all of that except for most of it. These people are not a cancer. They are people. Dumbass people. You knock one of them upside the head once in a while, maybe literally, more likely by running their bank accounts into the ground for stupid shit they did, half of them see Bucky lose his truck and stfu. Then you repeat.

And eventually we all shuffle off this mortal coil and MOST of everybody's kids are one notch less horrid than a 1960s Wallace voter.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:59 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Woodward is also taking pretty indiscriminate shots at the government that are proving to be factually unfounded.  That should start to hurt his credibility at some point.

Come on Twice, at least tell us to sit down first. I damn near broke my ass falling down at the mere possibility of a Trump lawyer hurting his credibility. Heaven forfend!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

So, more fun on removal of criminal actions to federal courts.  The ND Ga district judge has taken up Meadows' petition for removal pretty swiftly, holding a hearing on it Monday, considerably swifter than SD NY on Trump's similar motion from Manhattan.

Meadows seems perhaps to have a better claim, initially, to all of his activities giving rise to the indictment being fully within the scope of his federal office as White House Chief of Staff, who does a little bit of everything.

But he made an interesting concession in his petition to remove:

all the substantive allegations in the Indictment concern unquestionably political activity.

That maybe was aimed at cloaking the activities with First Amendment protections.  But he has run afoul of the Hatch Act:

(a)Subject to the provisions of subsection (b), an employee may take an active part in political management or in political campaigns, except an employee may not—

(1)

use his official authority or influence for the purpose of interfering with or affecting the result of an election;

So, the Hatch Act takes these political activities right out of the ambit of offical actions or actions done under color of official authority.

Unfortunately, the President is excluded from this provision of the Hatch Act.

Fun shit.  More here https://www.justsecurity.org/87859/the-hatch-act-bars-meadows-removal-bid/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Come on Twice, at least tell us to sit down first. I damn near broke my ass falling down at the mere possibility of a Trump lawyer hurting his credibility. Heaven forfend!

The initial premise is that Stanley Woodward is not your usual Trump lawyer.

And, he's damaging his credibility on his own behalf, and that of his clients, which do not include Donald J. Trump.

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The initial premise is that Stanley Woodward is not your usual Trump lawyer.

And, he's damaging his credibility on his own behalf, and that of his clients, which do not include Donald J. Trump.

Everyone knows that lawyers are generally aware of credibility and how that impacts clients. What my theory presuposes is that any lawyer who agrees to represent Trump has already made the decision that credibility is no longer a going concern.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Everyone knows that lawyers are generally aware of credibility and how that impacts clients. What my theory presuposes is that any lawyer who agrees to represent Trump has already made the decision that credibility is no longer a going concern.

Again, Woodward does not represent Trump.  He represents a bunch of low-level minions.

10 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

You lawyers you and your legal terms like "represent" and "minion". Okay, point taken.

It's like a Donny's Traitor Club for Hack-ish Myrmidons.

Trump is like a Human Cracker Jack Box, where the only prizes you get are poverty, a loss of whatever positive reputation you once had, and criminal charges. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1