Why is Republican Heterosexuality so easily changed and influenced?

horn4life

Now let me be clear I am heterosexual.  Always have been, assume I always will be.  I also think that it is silly to think that everyone is exactly like me. So I accept that God has made humans in all shapes and sizes and sexual preferences.  I also know factually that God has created for as long as man has walked the earth some children with both men and women's sex organs, or conversely the lack of full development of either.  Now nothing I have said thus far, can be factually attacked without complete and total disregard for honesty and facts.

But what I do not understand is why is the heterosexuality of Republicans and their children so fragile?  

Now maybe my God made me so much more heterosexual in some way I do not understand compared to my Republican male heterosexual counterparts.  But intuitively this supposition is probably not accurate (despite a lot of numerical data available to support this supposition).  In my instance for example reading a book would not change my heterosexuality.  Seeing a heterosexual sex act would not change my sexuality.  Recognizing that somebody else is not heterosexual would not change my sexuality.  Seeing a woman in man's clothing, nor a man in woman's children would change my sexuality.  Having a man make a pass at me (has happened) would not change my sexuality.  In fact honestly I can't think at anything that would change my sexuality (**life incarceration could, I believe over time condition a different sexuality, but I believe life incarceration could potentially change anything about anyone.  Sexual abuse might also alter ultimate sexuality, or cause enough confusion to alter course is possible as well). 

Now having coached a shit ton of soccer over more than a decade, I can also tell you that many kids wrestle with their sexuality.  I coached more girls later, and some of my most natural athletes later declared they were not heterosexual.  I also remember talking to my 1st grade daughter talking about a boy in her class and calling him a "boy girl." Later he would declare himself homosexual.  But I don't think in either of these examples a book, discussion, observation was the ultimate determiner of their sexuality. Any more than a book, observation or discussion determined my sexuality.  

But the one question I do not have an answer to is, Why do Republicans believe that books, discussions and observations could change their own sexuality?  Have books, discussions and observations previously changed their base sexuality?  Was there some point in their life that they consciously decided they would be heterosexual, rather than homosexual?  Did they flirt with being trans before making this decision after seeing Cabaret?  Did not seeing Cabaret, The Bird Cage or a drag show for example preserve their heterosexuality?  Would seeing a drag show change them to homosexual from heterosexual?

I hate to be so vacuous here and ask so many questions, but none of the examples that Republicans fear will make them and their children not heterosexual is something I would every worry about.  If my kids were gay, I would probably assume it's genetic for example and love them anyhow.  I would also know that it's harder in life to be gay than straight IMHO. But Rather than assume that either the way I raised them, a book, show, discussion or observation had changed their sexuality.  Apparently Republicans believe the opposite? That at least for many Republicans sexuality is something that is fluid, flexible and easily influenced.  And that is something that I simply do not understand. And my heterosexuality could never be changed by such influences. So help me figure this out....

• Like 1

Every single issue on their end boils down to: "I believe this, therefore everyone else should also believe this."

When it is obvious that others do not agree, it is much easier to find a scapegoat than accept that other people might think differently about something.  Rather than accept that someone else's brain may be wired to think a different way, it is easier in their simple minds to frame it as others brains were obviously warped by something.

Given that many of these differences are apparent by the teenage years, there aren't many obvious targets as to who could have cause the warping.  Hence, it was obviously the "woke" schools and "woke" Hollywood and "woke" books and "woke" professors that made them this way.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Every single issue on their end boils down to: "I believe this, therefore everyone else should also believe this."

Lots of talk about "freedom". Yeah they mean freedom for them, and only them. It took me a long time to understand this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah as a gay I spend a lot of time protecting straight men's fragile egos. I've always assumed that there are a whole lot more gay/bi people than ever come out of the closet.  They are fragile because they've long harbored thoughts of wanting to give it a try, or they did give it a try as a teen and they liked it more than they want to admit.  

I can't come up with any other reason why "conservative" straight men must be treated with kid gloves.  If you don't want to give in to your desires, that's on you, but just because you decided not to go down that path doesn't mean you need to force the rest of us to be miserable fucks too.

I get the same feeling from people who get so offended over cuss words.  I think they like cussing too much so they have decided to deprive themselves of it, and if they can deprive themselves then they think you should too.  Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nivek said:

We return to my parent's home and my brother shows up and quips, are you Kevina now?  Are you transitioning?   All over nail polish.

Any dad too fragile to let his daughter paint his nails is a complete puss.  Girls LOVE that shit.  I was happy to oblige.  (My CEO was a little puzzled one day.)

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I am ok with nail polish BUT I have a childhood trauma-related phobia of anyone touching my fingernails/toenails so I cannot handle the manicure/pedicure thing.  My wife and daughter have both asked me to do it but I am so fearful I would have a panic attack and/or end up charged with assault for involuntarily kicking a spa employee in the face.  

The toenail thing if funny, because I used to swim in high school and my mother and sister conspired to remove  and roll back my bed sheet and paint my toe nails while I was asleep.  They thought I was going to freak out, and I just shrugged, went to 5:30 am practice.  While a couple of the guys were sort of taken aback, the girls loved my being able to roll with it, without insecurity of my sexuality.  Reminded me of how fun a coed swim team was back in the day.

Edited by horn4life

Those who endorse authoritarianism are generally Republicans in my experience. And they have some weird ideas floating around in their heads. 

Thoughts like ‘if there’s no God, why wouldn’t humans just murder each other?’

it’s not an entirely dissimilar line of thinking from ‘if we don’t actively suppress homosexuality with the state apparatus, why would every guy not just blow other guys in the airport bathroom stalls?’

The presumption is that humans are wicked and default toward what they deem evil choices without a harsh fist governing behavior. I must admit, they’re making a pretty good case for that, all the while spitting fire about being the party of limited government.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Back to my comment about young people today not having that homophobic outlook that many of their elders do: since the republican party is all in on anti-abortion and anti-gay, there’s a 0% chance that 20 years from now this country won’t be so progressive on race and gender issues that the GQP would not recognize it.

Yeah, my two younger kids are now in college, and the acceptance of all races/sexualities/genders in their high school was very gratifying.  In general, nobody gave a shit.  One of my son's closest friends is gay and a badass soccer player -- he was revered for his skill and tenacity on the pitch, and his sexuality was a total non-factor.

(Cue "all soccer players are gay" comments.)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

My 2 yo did say Goddammit the other day with the same inflection and emphasis that I do the other day.  I was damn proud and it made me laugh, however, my MiL and wife were not enthused.

A close friend's son ~ 5 YO told his dad "I was gonna say 'shit fuck' but I thought mom might get mad".  Dad couldn't keep from laughing.  Mom was not amused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

47 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A close friend's son ~ 5 YO told his dad "I was gonna say 'shit fuck' but I thought mom might get mad".  Dad couldn't keep from laughing.  Mom was not amused.

My late mother told me that my older brother’s first word was ‘shit’. She claims they tightened it up after that.

I think Hugo mentioned repression upthread.  If we ask, toward what purpose does this fragile heterosexuality serve, it seems quite clear that it is not moral, per se, but political.  And we know the political ends these people seek.  It is simply performative, like almost every maga fit. 

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I told my gay son the other day that it is finally settled - since Russia hates gay people so much, by definition it is cool and OK to be gay.

I knew my gay son was gay before he was even a teen. Just like I knew my straight son was straight before he was a teen.  It is just genetics. They were raised by the same mom and dad in exactly the same way with exactly the same values and exactly the same environment.

In Republicans minds, if it is genetics, then they have to consider the possibility that God made errors. That drives them to the conclusion they have to send their gay kids to sexual reorientation camp as God is always right, and it must be the devil who changed them.  

My ex-wife, and I never had an issue with him being gay. I would’ve preferred that he wasn’t because of all the threats to his physical and mental well-being caused by idiots who will attack him.  Fortunately, he lives in a time when his high school classmates were cool, and he did not get treated in the unfortunate way that many teens were treated back in the day.

He does tell me stories about how many of his gay friends were treated so horribly by their families who could not accept their being gay.

Back to my comment about young people today not having that homophobic outlook that many of their elders do: since the republican party is all in on anti-abortion and anti-gay, there’s a 0% chance that 20 years from now this country won’t be so progressive on race and gender issues that the GQP would not recognize it.  THAT is part of the GOP and religious fear - that the coming change is inexorable. That the country will be less white, less misogynistic, more gay friendly and less religious, and there is not a damn thing they can do to stop it.  I won’t be alive then, but I look forward to it for everyone else. But that does not mean they won’t try really, really hard in the short time they have in power.

OK, Groomer.........tee hee

22 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I am ok with nail polish BUT I have a childhood trauma-related phobia of anyone touching my fingernails/toenails so I cannot handle the manicure/pedicure thing.  My wife and daughter have both asked me to do it but I am so fearful I would have a panic attack and/or end up charged with assault for involuntarily kicking a spa employee in the face.  

I know what you mean.  They have you put your feet in a small tub that has water jets on it, and while you wait, you can self-torture and desensitize enough to tolerate it.  The people working there have seen it all.   You won't regret it and they will marvel at your discomfort.   Also,  don't select gel paint.   

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, horn4life said:

Now let me be clear I am heterosexual.  Always have been, assume I always will be. 

For clarification, I too, am hetro-sexual.  Always have been to the extent I can remember. 

Now if there were some disease that killed off all the women in the world, I am not sure how positive I could be about remaining such.  I rarely think about such a scenario.  Almost never.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Back to my comment about young people today not having that homophobic outlook that many of their elders do: since the republican party is all in on anti-abortion and anti-gay, there’s a 0% chance that 20 years from now this country won’t be so progressive on race and gender issues that the GQP would not recognize it.  THAT is part of the GOP and religious fear - that the coming change is inexorable. That the country will be less white, less misogynistic, more gay friendly and less religious, and there is not a damn thing they can do to stop it.  I won’t be alive then, but I look forward to it for everyone else. But that does not mean they won’t try really, really hard in the short time they have in power.

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, my two younger kids are now in college, and the acceptance of all races/sexualities/genders in their high school was very gratifying.  In general, nobody gave a shit.  One of my son's closest friends is gay and a badass soccer player -- he was revered for his skill and tenacity on the pitch, and his sexuality was a total non-factor.

(Cue "all soccer players are gay" comments.)

I’m reminded of some documentary or maybe it was a news show around 20 or 25 years ago, that was featuring various white supremacist types and asking them why they were the way they were.   One of them was interviewed in his home, and he had a Confederate battle flag and some other such stuff hanging up in the living room.   The camera had panned around to show this stuff, and one of his kids’ bedroom doors was open and you could see a Michael Jordan poster hanging in it.  It really stayed with me.  I’m surprised he’d allow that in his home, and he even mentioned that he let his kids go to school with black kids so he wasn’t a racist like the media makes them out to be (yeah, I know).

For 30-40 really solid years, we’ve had the kids of white supremacists growing up where Black athletes and movies stars were featured prominently and where their parents couldn’t prevent them from seeing their games or movies.

We are starting to see that with the LBGTQ folks.  Yeah, Elton John and others have obviously been out there for decades, but it’s hitting the mainstream  where companies are embracing it (witness the blow up over the beer cans), where it’s prominent in some video games, where you have people like Tim Cook who runs the largest tech company in the world, where you have gay characters in the movies and TV shows (and popular TV shows and movies that revolve around such characters).  It’s no longer an isolated thing like Elton John or Paul Lynne or whatever.

So while we may see a lot of really shitty people acting shitty to people different than them, their kids are growing up where this stuff is mainstream and their parents can’t shield them forever from the famous people who openly identify as LBGTQ, the movie or TV characters, and content featuring them.

I think some Republicans realize this, and think they can try and stall it with their culture war bullshit, but they can’t.  

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, hookemATL said:

My 2 yo did say Goddammit the other day with the same inflection and emphasis that I do the other day.  I was damn proud and it made me laugh, however, my MiL and wife were not enthused.

My son and his wife lived in a condo a couple of years ago. Late in the afternoon a loud noise came from next door and my 3-year-old grandson said “Goddamn she slams that fucking door loud.” My son said to his wife “Where did that come from?” His wife told him you said that yesterday morning when we were in the kitchen and Kaden (my grandson) was not in the kitchen, but he hears and remembers everything.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m reminded of some documentary or maybe it was a news show around 20 or 25 years ago, that was featuring various white supremacist types and asking them why they were the way they were.   One of them was interviewed in his home, and he had a Confederate battle flag and some other such stuff hanging up in the living room.   The camera had panned around to show this stuff, and one of his kids’ bedroom doors was open and you could see a Michael Jordan poster hanging in it.  It really stayed with me.  I’m surprised he’d allow that in his home, and he even mentioned that he let his kids go to school with black kids so he wasn’t a racist like the media makes them out to be (yeah, I know).

For 30-40 really solid years, we’ve had the kids of white supremacists growing up where Black athletes and movies stars were featured prominently and where their parents couldn’t prevent them from seeing their games or movies.

We are starting to see that with the LBGTQ folks.  Yeah, Elton John and others have obviously been out there for decades, but it’s hitting the mainstream  where companies are embracing it (witness the blow up over the beer cans), where it’s prominent in some video games, where you have people like Tim Cook who runs the largest tech company in the world, where you have gay characters in the movies and TV shows (and popular TV shows and movies that revolve around such characters).  It’s no longer an isolated thing like Elton John or Paul Lynne or whatever.

So while we may see a lot of really shitty people acting shitty to people different than them, their kids are growing up where this stuff is mainstream and their parents can’t shield them forever from the famous people who openly identify as LBGTQ, the movie or TV characters, and content featuring them.

I think some Republicans realize this, and think they can try and stall it with their culture war bullshit, but they can’t.  

Yup.  Will and Grace was the first show that was unabashedly showing gay main characters.  more importantly, showing those characters as nice funny, decent people who just happen to be gay.

Now you watch TV every day, and it is very common to see commercials with two dads or two moms who are obviously gay raising a kid.   The idiots who still think gay is the work of the devil can do nothing to prevent their kids seeing this.   Hell, they straight out say it: “these liberals are trying to normalize gay. “

Yes, yes we are.  we just aren’t stupid enough to think that being around gay people will make us gay.

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 4/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, Gatorubet said:

Yup.  Will and Grace was the first show that was unabashedly showing gay main characters.  more importantly, showing those characters as nice funny, decent people who just happen to be gay.

Now you watch TV every day, and it is very common to see commercials with two dads or two moms who are obviously gay raising a kid.   The idiots who still think gay is the work of the devil can do nothing to prevent their kids seeing this.   Hell, they straight out say it: “these liberals are trying to normalize gay. “

Yes, yes we are.  we just aren’t stupid enough to think that being around gay people will make us gay.

So (channeling my GOP brain here) that TV can make people gay!  You see Will And Grace has such an influence showing gayness that so many people became gay that now it is even OK to have gay people in tv ads!  Cause and effect!

Or the other options are just bigotry, stupidity and irrationality?  I think the real reason... distraction, for political reasons. But again as I said my sexuality unlike that of so many Republicans can't be altered by a book, observation, TV show, or much of anything.  But I guess I might be fascinated if indeed books could change my sexuality.  I would endlessly wonder why? Not in a good or bad way.  Just curious as to why a book could change my sexuality? The actual why?

Edited by horn4life

21 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I think the real reason... distraction, for political reasons.

I think it falls into two camps - you have Republican politicians who probably don't believe in this bullshit, but it's what their base wants, so they lean into it.  DeSantis, Cruz, probably even Trump given his decades in NYC and who he used to rub elbows with, Greg Abbott, Lindsey Graham, and so on.  Political chameleons who keep a finger in the wind to see which way things are blowing, and who have been around in politics for years/decades because they've changed tack whenever the situation demands it. 

As an example, DeSantis got married at Disney World in 2009, and in 2009 it was just as "woke" as it is now - he didn't overnight decide it was bad for him - they didn't kiss the ring and they embarrassed him, so he had to make an example of them.

And then you have True Believers like MTG, Boebert, etc. who are there and pushing the cultural war bullshit precisely because they unabashedly believe it and their bases recognize that and reward them.

DeSantis being married at Disney because, it wasn't "gay" then but is "gay" now is always good for a chuckle.

I have always thought getting married in Disney World is absolutely moronic. I think it's more nerd than gay, because hell only a nerd homosexual would want to get married there.  But I also was not a nerd, so there may indeed be a closer link to the potential of having a book change your sexuality if you are a nerd.  So maybe DeSantis truly does have some sort of "fear" that is based on his nerd reality?

I'm sure it's been touched on here and this is obviously silly but this is part of it. maybe a big part

Two dads in a kids show? YOU MONSTERS ARE FORCING OUR CHILDREN TO THINK ABOUT ANAL SEX! 

Someone innocuously being themselves somewhere in public? HOW DARE YOU CAUSE ME TO VISUALIZE GAY SEX ACTS FOR THE REST OF THE ENTIRE DAY

I think it’s more about the internal struggle to come out - and I will borrow from my story as a former evangelical and Republican (last R vote was GWB in my late 20s). 

I knew I was trans years ago. But I believed it was a temptation, an external threat to my journey with Jesus. The Devil was tempting me and I should resist wearing women’s clothes, I should resist desperate feeling of wanting to be a girl/woman, I should resist feeling good about wanting that, and if I was successful I would be super saved. I prayed constantly for help - except when I couldn’t take it and I found private times to express and live as me - even if that was only for 30 minutes at 2am in my room when everyone was asleep. 

most of the anti-LGBTQ folks believe the threat is an external temptation, they still do not accept you are born this way (gay or trans). Some have relented and agree but even they still say you must resist. 

so all discussion, literature and help for the LGBTQ community that you and I see as humane they see as a threat to their world view that (1) it might convince their kids to be queer, or (2) it will make resistance for their people who are struggling harder. 

sadly, these are genuinely held and deep seated beliefs that aren’t changing anytime soon. 

it’s also likely to be one of the top contributors to anti-LGBTQ republicans getting caught with a dick in their mouths or theirs in a guys butt (or taking all that length for Lindsey Graham).  They still want it to be an external threat they can conceivably fight against both for society and for themselves.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, Gatorubet said:

The people who are afraid of this have thoughts and desires they need to suppress to keep up their facade.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/7/2023 at 12:13 PM, Bama Chick said:

God, cursing - with relish, melody, and creativity - is one of the few wonderful pleasures of life.

I aspire to spit or sing the word “fuck” as many times a day as possible.

Anyone that uses “fudge” or “freaking” is automatically on my shit list.

Fuck those fucking fuckleheads.

Old Ozzy Osbourne said it best. He goes, "My daughter came up to me before one of her little friends came over for a tea party, and goes 'Dad, while so and so is here, can you try not to cuss?'. And I go, well what the fuck am I supposed to talk about?"