True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Also, apparently a similar event happend in the 50s where a bunch of russians went running naked in the snow which was an inspiration for this show.

https://screenrant.com/true-detective-night-country-true-story-inspirations-explained/

Dyatlov Pass incident, one of the most overrated historical mysteries ever. Russian hikers buried in an avalanche in the middle of the night. The survivors had to cut their way out of the tents, and froze to death due to not having a chance to bundle up. So mysterious and spooky. 

Dyatlov Pass incident, one of the most overrated historical mysteries ever. Russian hikers buried in an avalanche in the middle of the night. The survivors had to cut their way out of the tents, and froze to death due to not having a chance to bundle up. So mysterious and spooky. 

You mean they weren’t ripped apart by aliens or rabid yetis made crazy by Soviet science experiments? How can that be?

On 1/22/2024 at 9:40 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I need a roster now as I can’t keep up with Danvers relationships, dead husbands, exes, fuck buddies, kids, step kids, whatever.

Hockey League and figure skate class will have to deal with the huge blood and body fluid stain on the ice.

I thought it was weird that Foster showed up at the end of the hockey game her daughter was playing in; however, as the camera panned, there was a giant Christmas tree in the middle of the rink.  Also, when does everyone use the bathroom?

Finished up Episode 2 today during lunch. Not sure what to think about this just yet. The camper threw me off a bit at the end. I watched the first half the other night after several margaritas at dinner and was too tired to finish so picked it up today. Maybe I missed something in the first half -- not sure why they were looking for Clark's trailer.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Maybe I missed something in the first half -- not sure why they were looking for Clark's trailer.

Danvers learned from the tattoo artist that the mad scientist (Clark) had a relationship with the girl in Navarro's case (Annie K). Earlier in the episode, angry mine employee at first denied knowing Clark after seeing a photo of him but later admitted that Clark had purchased the trailer from his brother years earlier.

Navarro figured out that it was their stabbin cabin and went looking for it. At that point they didn't know that he wasn't frozen in the block of ice otherwise she would have rolled up to the Carcosa sex mobile with backup.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Since HBO is tying this fourth season to season one I just re-watched it. That first season was so well done. To bad HBO went down this path because so far this season is doing the first season a disservice.

The only "tie" to S1 is the character who was related to MM's Rust Cole, right?

43 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

It’s fine for me so far. Interested to see where this goes. Also, I can come back to this thread to see folks say it sucks and they’re done only to come back and bitch about it every week.

I already said I am in till the end because of Jodie but could care less who done it. Giving it a full chance to recover from the first two episodes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I'll watch Jodie in anything  

That said, can someone explain the (a) ghost that ran across the hallway or (b) the dead dude screaming?

I mean, please don't tell me any of this shit is literal?  I just want a good mystery, not some paranormal crap.

The ghost was probably the one dude who is still alive that might've murdered everyone since we know he's still out there.

The "dead dude screaming" wasn't dead after all. He was screaming because the cop broke his arm off and it woke him from his hibernation. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

The "dead dude screaming" wasn't dead after all. He was screaming because the cop broke his arm off and it woke him from his hibernation.

I suspect he will be in a medically induced coma until the penultimate episode and will awake screaming something that will turn the investigation on its head.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I suspect he will be in a medically induced coma until the penultimate episode and will awake screaming something that will turn the investigation on its head.

Spoiler that shit. Some of us are not up on our movie clichés and ham fisted plot devices.

• Haha 1

Dyatlov Pass incident, one of the most overrated historical mysteries ever. Russian hikers buried in an avalanche in the middle of the night. The survivors had to cut their way out of the tents, and froze to death due to not having a chance to bundle up.

That’s exactly what they want you to think.

Did I miss something about the camper?  I thought it was a tryst-mobile to hide the relationship.  In an area that probably has .001 people per square mile, he sets it up smack dab in the middle of a trailer park?  No 24/7 gossipers there.

I guess I'm going to have to watch The Thing this weekend.  Oh.  And thanks @mdleast for the YouTube vids.  Very informative for those that miss the obvious.  See Sentence 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2024 at 5:51 PM, Bartles said:

Lots of fucking in this show. Reminds me of a saying I heard way back, I think it was about Upper Peninsula Michigan:

In the summer, all they do is fish and fuck. In the winter, they don't fish.

I spent a summer after graduating UT driving a forklift on a dock at a small fishing town in Alaska. Summer population was about 1000 people, like 300 lived there year-round, 90% of them in a high rise apartment residential building that had been built as an Army barracks during WW2. I obviously didn’t live through 30 days of night or the extreme cold, but this show really captures the dynamic in such a small place where everybody knows everybody’s business and the romantic liaisons intersect all over the place because there’s just not much else to do.

The saying was “you don’t lose your girlfriend, you lose your turn.”

20 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I spent a summer after graduating UT driving a forklift on a dock at a small fishing town in Alaska. Summer population was about 1000 people, like 300 lived there year-round, 90% of them in a high rise apartment residential building that had been built as an Army barracks during WW2. I obviously didn’t live through 30 days of night or the extreme cold, but this show really captures the dynamic in such a small place where everybody knows everybody’s business and the romantic liaisons intersect all over the place because there’s just not much else to do.

The saying was “you don’t lose your girlfriend, you lose your turn.”

These days they have almost everything to do that 95 percent of people do when not working. Streaming TV, Internet, social media, gaming. I can imagine unless you just graduated in the last few years that wasn't the case when you were there. 

44 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

These days they have almost everything to do that 95 percent of people do when not working. Streaming TV, Internet, social media, gaming. I can imagine unless you just graduated in the last few years that wasn't the case when you were there. 

That’s a good point. It was before everything besides TV.  All they had was RAT Net, which stood for Rural Alaskan Television Network. 

On 1/21/2024 at 10:48 PM, GabrielsHorn said:

As someone who has done quite a bit of work in Alaska, I really wonder if the creator has ever spent time in Alaska at all. Everything from the layout of the city (this is trying to replicate Nome or Utqiagvik but it is way too big) to the vibes of the stores is just so off. 

Most of it is filmed in Iceland

Still intrigued, but too much Navarro.

She wasn’t curious to investigate why the orange got thrown back at her from the dark? Guess she thought it must have been ET.

And yeah there was one shot where the sun seemed to be peeking back up behind them but later it was fully dark again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Halfway through and they do seem to be leaning into the supernatural now, unless that last scene with Lund was just supposed to be some sort of hallucination by Navarro. I’m pot committed at this point but I’m not sure they can land this plane. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I am under the impression that it doesn't stay pitch black all day every day, but that there is a twilight for a few hours a day.  It lightens up, but the sun never appears above the horizon.

That’s exactly what happens. The “30 days of night” thing is a myth. A few hours of twilight every day still sounds like it sucks though. 

Was checking this thread to see if show turned around, but it looks like the opposite happened. So I’m still out. 

I’m enjoying it so far. It’s obviously a bit scattershot but it’s got some interesting stuff. 
The biggest issue with the show is Navarro. She’s not a good actress at all and I don’t really care much about her backstory and her sister. Get more Jodie on screen

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Halfway through and they do seem to be leaning into the supernatural now, unless that last scene with Lund was just supposed to be some sort of hallucination by Navarro. I’m pot committed at this point but I’m not sure they can land this plane. 

My pet theory is that they're all suffering from some degree of mass delusion due to:

• Tainted water supply both Tsalal and the mining operation tapped into by digging up some ancient virus/bacteria that promises everlasting life but causes hallucinations, and/or
  • The perpetual dark/twilight is making them go a bit mad on top of the stress of the moment.

I'm curious when the forensics expert sent up from Anchorage arrives and who it might be.

• Hook 'Em 1

Weird episode 3 kinda slowed things down with flashbacks, etc.  

It's weird to me how it looks like they are just wandering around on foot at night....  I can't see shit, is there roads? hills? are they in a field? parking lot? neighborhood?

Are they just searching for a missing man by blindly roaming open land by foot? No better options for a man hunt? Drone or something that can search better at night than a flashlight?

Still enjoying it.  Started rewatching season 1....such a great duo.  

• Haha 1