True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

so that Oliver Tagaq dude who worked at Tsalal setting up the power, and then disappeared before Danvers/Navarro went to see him again, was a total non-factor?  i thought he was gonna be involved somehow.

sad to see that Sepinwall has pretty much lost all credibility now.

Another good one

Happy I was smart enough to bail on this after  1 episode. 

The abuse and murder of indigenous women is a very real and serious problem in those communities. And it’s also not very often done by the hands of visiting scientists or miners. But you knew the show wouldn’t be smart/brave enough to address that.

• Hook 'Em 1

True Detective: Night CountryShambles to a Disappointing End

I like my True Detective existentially challenging, emotionally bleak, and dark as a black hole, thank you very much. Unfortunately for me, new showrunner Issa Lopez’s latest installment in the series, Night Country, is only one of those things (the clue is in the title), and even that comes from its moody and icy setting rather than its characters or plot. Despite the unanimously glowing reviews from critics, a big chunk of viewers have shared the same frustration I have throughout its six-episode season: why is this such a plodding slog? Well, I’m here attempting to crack that question with some very subjective answers.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/hbo-max/true-detective-night-country-finale-ending-explained-recap-review?mc_cid=e0c4f3f839&mc_eid=eb6cfb5cc1&utm_source=PMNTNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=240219

Young Prior telling his wife “i gotta clean something up first and then I’ll be a good husband”… I wanted to shoot him in the head. 
good plan. No chance whatsoever she’ll turn on you and report something fishy when she finds out there is a missing cop after the next time she’s pissed at you for working late and doing your damn job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

. . . the suicidal caribou herd, the one-eyed polar bear, Twist and Shout, the oranges . . . 

I was truly disappointed that the polar bear didn’t maul them while they were sitting around the campfire in that open warehouse.

Actually feeling a bit apoplectic about it.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, austingirl said:

Are we to believe that Clark saw Navarro when he said "she's awake" and started seizing in the first episode? A "time is a flat circle" thing? Or did I completely misunderstand this? 

It’s as good an explanation as any.  They dropped in a random time loop because we’re playing Calvinball with the rules of reality any way, so why not?

• Hook 'Em 1

I like how the floor breaks out from underneath Jodie Foster in the cave, but disappears somewhere in the ten feet she fell and doesn't smash Navarro. And it was nice that the caves had a nice level floor covered with snow (I guess it snows in caves) and the ceilings were the perfect height for a human. And no need to use a rope or anything or even have a general plan on how not to get lost. 

21 minutes ago, WBT said:

Guess the vet who said the scientists died of fear before they froze to death was full of shit

The whole show felt like it was written by 10 different people who didn't share notes. Then they just threw all of it together and filmed it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

The abuse and murder of indigenous women is a very real and serious problem in those communities. And it’s also not very often done by the hands of visiting scientists or miners. But you knew the show wouldn’t be smart/brave enough to address that.

I haven't been keeping track that   closely, but I think this is the first time you have ever been right. I feel lost now somehow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just finished. Wow. I thought the three minute scene by the fire with Foster randomly yelling at Navarro for no reason out of nowhere was the worst television I have ever seen.

Then I watched the cleaning lady ending and that surpassed it. That is truly the worst bit of TV that I have ever watched completely through. The only redeeming quality of the entire series was a few of the songs. 

• Like 1

Young Prior telling his wife “i gotta clean something up first and then I’ll be a good husband”… I wanted to shoot him in the head. 
good plan. No chance whatsoever she’ll turn on you and report something fishy when she finds out there is a missing cop after the next time she’s pissed at you for working late and doing your damn job.

That’s her father in law that her husband shotted.

Just finished. Wow. I thought the three minute scene by the fire with Foster randomly yelling at Navarro for no reason out of nowhere was the worst television I have ever seen.
Then I watched the cleaning lady ending and that surpassed it. That is truly the worst bit of TV that I have ever watched completely through. The only redeeming quality of the entire series was a few of the songs. 

I figured as the parade of cleaning ladies paraded into the meeting with dancers and Navarro for storytime, we would have tie ins to every other maid, butler, and cleaning lady ever on Tv. Hazel, Mr French, Rosie from the Jetsons, Ann B Davis, Florida, Albert, Benson, Daphne, and Rochester all to parade in.
  • Haha 2

What a shit show. 
So the whole thing is that a group of scientists went into a homicidal rage and brutally murdered a girl with a screw driver? And then the cleaning ladies god mad and staged a mass kidnapping to kill the scientists?

What the fuck

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, C-Man said:

The janitorial staff came and wrecked Tsalal’s shit?

breakfast-club-carl-the-janitor.gif.0971dfe85ea64ea8e079ba0d91fc94f4.gif

4 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I haven't been keeping track that   closely, but I think this is the first time you have ever been right. I feel lost now somehow.

gallery-1464281711-time-is-a-flat-circle.gif.0fb10b4d09118ba012f42b0eb42d0950.gif

my overall reaction...

curb-your-enthusiasm-larry-david.gif.af8800954f7b112936feac8342317bab.gif

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

What a shit show. 
So the whole thing is that a group of scientists went into a homicidal rage and brutally murdered a girl with a screw driver? And then the cleaning ladies god mad and staged a mass kidnapping to kill the scientists?

What the fuck

Because you see, the only way to melt permafrost to access a world-altering microorganism is to pollute more.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Because you see, the only way to melt permafrost to access a world-altering microorganism is to pollute more.

Also, you want to melt permafrost because making it a mess somehow makes it easier to drill! 

Fun Fact: It doesn’t and makes it significantly harder. Plus, ice is easy to drill through compared to rock which is what a company so in line with miners would actually know. Also, your groundwater plume to have a zone of influence that large to reach the remote station, that has to have truck load deliveries weekly, is larger than every single mine in the world. 

• Like 2

I regret thinking after ep2 that this was going to be a great season.  Some stupid writing and misleading connections to season 1 is bs.  Director has been cringe replying to people online throughout the season...defending her plot holes and poor writing.  She said the ties-to season 1 are just there to say they exist in same universe...no intention of going into it more.  Wasted some good performances by Jodie.

*Video of Annie where she drops the phone and screams, does not line up with Clark's description of Annie's attack.

*The whole Clark hiding from Annie didn't make much sense.

*Don't mess with a scientist's data...he will stab you and have his colleagues help. They looked like zombies swarming her, but when Clark got on her all the scientists had this worried scared look.  Laughable reaction.

*So the area they broke thru the ice to access the caves....was like 50-100 feet from the Tsala station? lol what?

*Why didn't Navarro and Danvers get into a Tsala truck and run the heater during the blizzard?  They drove one the next morning. 

*So the cleaning lady mafia could have just told Navarro (a LE woman that they can trust) how Annie died and prevented all of this?

*Didn't the veterinarian predict that the scientists died before they froze? Wrong.

*I wanted to throw my remote when Clark said "time is a flat circle"....stopppp

*Poor Prior.

• Like 2

So in E1 Danvers goes and rips out the AV equipment in the cabinet, ripping wires and shit. In S6 they come up the ladder and Twist and Shout is playing again, the Ferris Buehler scene is on the loop again, and the system is all back in place, so she can rip it out again.

Based on how little distance they walked in the ice cave wouldn’t they have seen Tsalal and known exactly where they were?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

So in E1 Danvers goes and rips out the AV equipment in the cabinet, ripping wires and shit. In S6 they come up the ladder and Twist and Shout is playing again, the Ferris Buehler scene is on the loop again, and the system is all back in place, so she can rip it out again.

Based on how little distance they walked in the ice cave wouldn’t they have seen Tsalal and known exactly where they were?

We don't know how far they went in the cave before Navarro decided to explore that side path, but also I don't know if the Tsalal exterior was lit enough to see it in the darkness and weather.

The Ferris Bueller I thought was their way of having a time-skip flat circle moment. It all makes very little sense

Kali Reis discusses Annie's tongue (among other things): https://www.today.com/popculture/tv/true-detective-season-4-ending-rcna139005

How did Annie's tongue appear on the floor of the Tsalal research station six years after her death?

Did the cleaning women find it and leave it behind as a clue? Or, like Annie's pink coat, did Raymond Clark keep her tongue in the aftermath of strangling her to death?

"That's a great mystery. There's a few things that could have happened to it," says Reis. "There's no answer."

But she does offer a clue. "Watch (the show) again," Reis instructs. "You have the answer, but I'll let you figure it out."

Not unlike the overriding theme of "True Detective: Night Country," it's obviously just a matter of asking the right question.

No thanks.

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Should have ended it with Pryor dropping his dad’s dead body through the ice.

The cleaning lady uprising is one of the dumber/lazier conclusions I’ve ever seen. 

It reminds me of the end of a Scooby Doo episode, TBH.  Jut fucking lazy and stupid.  This show started out strong in Ep 1 and just got worse and worse.  Thank God it was only 6 episodes and not a lot more.

3 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

*Don't mess with a scientist's data...he will stab you and have his colleagues help. They looked like zombies swarming her, but when Clark got on her all the scientists had this worried scared look.  Laughable reaction

This was the most insane thing in the show. It just does not track that these scientists, who were trying to discover some great savior of humanity, committed a brutal, savage, group murder of a girl because. How is that the plot here? Just a complete lack of understanding the characters that were written. 

Also, did we get any answer to why the scientists eyes were scorched and ears were bleeding?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Kali Reis discusses Annie's tongue (among other things): https://www.today.com/popculture/tv/true-detective-season-4-ending-rcna139005

No thanks.

There was a throw away line about Hank doing it to make it seem like a crime toward the indigenous peoples. But then who brought it back to Tsalal? Hank wouldn’t because it ties these crimes together and connects him. So then who did it, how did they get it, and why?

21 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No treading the thread, but just watched the first episode last night.  A little whacky, but we'll see where it goes.

The first two or three episodes are actually engaging, if not entirely good. Shit goes off the rails in E4 and never fully recovers.

I’ve sat with it some. Holy shit, The Night of the Cleaning Lady was terrible. The pacing, the music, the cinematography. It’s just so unavailable.

It was like if 20 maids waiting for a Metro bus in River Oaks suddenly turned into zombies, dragged their employees out of their houses, and ate them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve sat with it some. Holy shit, The Night of the Cleaning Lady was terrible. The pacing, the music, the cinematography. It’s just so unavailable.

It was like if 20 maids waiting for a Metro bus in River Oaks suddenly turned into zombies, dragged their employees out of their houses, and ate them. 

Little did you know this sleepy little town in Alaska was full of homicidal maniacs. Fucking 8 scientists and 20 cleaning ladies willing to commit murder. Also didn’t realize that these cleaning ladies were educated in siege tactics.

• Like 1

A show about the rise of the janitorial mafia is exactly what we deserve for sticking this shitshow out.

Do they run the whole town behind the scenes? Was Danvers in their pockets all along? That's the only logical reason for her not turning them in for mass murder. 

So the homicidal scientists just got what was coming. Blood for blood. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Helobious said:

This what the third time you've posted you're not watching the show, then why are you here and why do you keep reminding us you stopped after the first episode?

Your desperate need for validation is embarrassing 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Little did you know this sleepy little town in Alaska was full of homicidal maniacs. Fucking 8 scientists and 20 cleaning ladies willing to commit murder. Also didn’t realize that these cleaning ladies were educated in siege tactics.

Sweep and clear is on day 3, right after mop etiquette 

• Haha 2