2023 Spring Game Thread of Hype and Doom

immamac

I thought Ewers was okay.  Not bad.  Not great.  I also understand it’s a spring game.  With that said.  Take away ranking and names on the jerseys… I’m picking Malik between all 3 based on an irrelevant game with vanilla play calling.  Accurate and made good decisions decisively.  Quinn is entering his 3rd year in college and he was ranked higher than Lawerence, Bryce Young, Tua, Caleb Williams, Kyler Murray…. Yet he doesn’t look anywhere near as good as any of those players at the same stage in their careers.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Ewers needs to keep working on the footwork (he's better off schedule I think than a clean pocket where he can set his feet) but I thought he was fine. He was 16-23 with a couple of drops. The long throw from Murphy to Cook will be the play of the game, but that was a walk-on against Cook and he was pretty open. Great throw though and he has an absolute cannon. Manning wasn't helped by his O-line at all. 

Someone watched the game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’m disappointed in Ewers. His mechanics look worse than last year, which is troubling. His arm angle looks slightly lower and his feet are even more unset.

If he hasn’t fixed those by now he won’t imo. And those are two things that can turn him into a mediocre at best talent. Murphy looked better today - better arm, better footwork, better aim, better composure. Maybe he just had a crazy good day and normally doesn’t look that good but he looked like a better overall QB today to me 

You would probably hate Mahomes if he came to play QB here if those are your issues with Quinn after the day he had

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There is no battle. 

I don’t think there is a battle provided both Quinn and Maalik stay  healthy! 🤘🏼 that’s all I really want is them competing no injuries. I would say you know it when you see it and I saw that in Malik today. Good luck to Ewers and Murphy both. 

26 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Was at the game.  Ewers was meh.  Honestly the whole team was meh.  My old man and I said to each other at one point that Tuscaloosa was gonna hurt.

It was a spring game, so hopefully it means nothing, but we walked away rather unimpressed.

It was a practice. A lot of players were either non-contact or DNP. I saw what I wanted to see (athleticism and depth all over the place at levels we haven't seen in awhile, legit playmakers at WR, etc.)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The older I get, the dumber our fans seem to get.     

the older you get the more knowledge you have absorbed and the youngers have not absorbed that amount of knowledge yet….

Or….

your right.  
They be just dum

Edited by TexasTroll

Arch looked sharp. He knew where to go with the ball a majority of the time & tucked it if needed. He may be the least physically gifted of the QB room though. If Malik continues his developmental trajectory I don’t see why he wouldn’t return next season to take that job, assuming Quinn moves on. 

5 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

If Malik continues his developmental trajectory I don’t see why he wouldn’t return next season to take that job, assuming Quinn moves on. 

Because he'll still be on the same team as Arch Manning. I have no clue what he'll do, but that would be the reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Arch looked sharp. He knew where to go with the ball a majority of the time & tucked it if needed. He may be the least physically gifted of the QB room though. If Malik continues his developmental trajectory I don’t see why he wouldn’t return next season to take that job, assuming Quinn moves on. 

I think all 3 QBs looked good and could tweak things here and there but all looked like they belong on the field.  I think people are just geeking about Maalik because we have been constantly fed this notion that he was some type of project who never played QB before and would need 5 years just to learn how to throw.  

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, victory88 said:

I thought Ewers was okay.  Not bad.  Not great.  I also understand it’s a spring game.  With that said.  Take away ranking and names on the jerseys… I’m picking Malik between all 3 based on an irrelevant game with vanilla play calling.  Accurate and made good decisions decisively.  Quinn is entering his 3rd year in college and he was ranked higher than Lawerence, Bryce Young, Tua, Caleb Williams, Kyler Murray…. Yet he doesn’t look anywhere near as good as any of those players at the same stage in their careers.  

Lawrence, Young, Tua, Williams, and Murray were all on teams that had had recent success. Clemson and Alabama had won or competed for titles, and OU spent time in the playoffs. To say that a QB with a high rating should immediately make a team a contender throwing to a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches would be nonsense. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, thepop said:

Everyone on twitter raving about Ewers and the team as a whole. I come to this site and everyone says we’re shit. Never change. 

Connected on the deep ball, didn’t throw a pick, hit a couple over the middle routes he was air mailing last season, only a couple real wtf throws. Surface level it was a solid B+. The average twitter fan doesn’t pretend to know anything about throwing motion or footwork like the professionals here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I'll admit I was expecting more out of Ewers based on the practice reports, but he was fine.  

But the energy was just different when Maalik was out there.  I hope he gets a legit shot at the #1 spot and Sark doesn't just anoint Ewers the starter because his NIL is bigger.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Darth Tron said:

Was at the game.  Ewers was meh.  Honestly the whole team was meh.  My old man and I said to each other at one point that Tuscaloosa was gonna hurt.

It was a spring game, so hopefully it means nothing, but we walked away rather unimpressed.

Eh…. This is more or less the same team as last year but better and we more than hung with Bama.  I don’t think you can make any conclusions from this game other than we are definitely not a playoff contender and will probably be a 8-11 win team.  

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Pepperidge Farm remembers when Garrett Gilbert and Desean Hales torched walkon DBs in the Spring Game, too.  Murphy had some nice throws, but that dude trying to cover Cook and Moore probably was slower than our scholarship EDGE players.  Cook was so much faster than him it was like watching a dad play against his 6th grade son.

Having said that, Ewers won't get a big leash again this year.  His stats last year were fine ... if we were in the 1990s version of college football.  They were bad by 2020s standards.  The passing offense was the the weak link on our whole team last year.  If he performs at a similar level - especially with an older OL and much more weapons at WR - he will see pine at some point, whether it's for Arch or Murphy.  His QB rating should be in the 150s minimum in this era of college football and with this roster, not 130 like last year.

Ewers had 1-1/2 WRs last year as well. Texas should be able to overcome an injury or two at the position this year. I take nothing from the game because the defense knows what the offense is going to do. Just be happy there were no serious injuries and lets continue to work on things in the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, D3zii said:

It wasn’t that Quinn looked horrible in fact he definitely looked improved from last season but Murphy looked better, and imo stirred a QB controversy up bigger than before.  Either Quinn is going to get on his shit and sure up his weaknesses or Sark is going to have a decision

Nothing like a good QB controversy for the offseason. 

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think I’m more pumped about or running game this season vs last.   Don’t get wrong I would’ve loved Bijan back for his Senior season.  But I like we have some choices back there and the run game won’t ride primary on the legs of one back.  

The run game was my number one concern coming out of the Spring Game.  Both long runs were direct results of a defender wearing a green jersey. Probably more about the interior OL getting worked by the DL, than the RBs. That said I didn’t walk away saying someone looked special at RB

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Y'all, it was the spring game. Chill.

That said, do we have any takeaways on positions other than QB? Did any freshmen look impressive?

Murphy DT looked very good, was probably the best player on the field. He is either taken it to another level or the interior OL is still a question mark. The best unit was the first string defense. They were definitely better than the 1st offense. Finkley solid vs the run. Burke struggled on some run fits, better pressure. Vasek got some pressure, but not be great competition. That spot is still an enigma wrapped in a question. Though Muhammad did some good things. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

it's always the poor people (NIL) bitching at the rich people (actually doing something) that miss the whole fucking picture and are really the root cause of the problem. pony up and put your $2500 to the OneFund and you can stop bitching. 

Edited by KennyPowders
  • Fuck You 1