2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

90% of these wide receivers are in for a surprise.   

Guys with high production are going to have a soft landing most of the time. It will be musical chairs at WR since these schools will have to replace their high production guys with other dudes from the portal. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Guys with high production are going to have a soft landing most of the time. It will be musical chairs at WR since these schools will have to replace their high production guys with other dudes from the portal. 

Yeah, the high-tier G5/FCS guys will see a nice step up, and the good P5 ones will see a nice little payday. It's the P5 guys buried on the depth chart that think they're going to be getting their high school offer lists and instead are going to be staring at OVs to Las Cruces and Muncie.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas was interested in him. What the fuck are you trying to do on this one?

he held a Texas offer, sure. but he never took a virtual visit to Texas but took a bunch elsewhere:

Due to the ongoing pandemic, Llewellyn hasn’t been able to visit the OU campus yet, but he enjoyed a virtual visit with the staff. He’s had virtual visit experiences with Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma, but the Sooners stood out.

not calling out the dude but someone brought him up as a player Texas basically should have gone after but didn't push for. my point was he was considering lots of places, but not Texas even though he nominally held an offer.

he hasn't done shit at OU, so would be shocked if he ended up pulling a reverse Brennan Thompson (5 catch so far this year at OU)

10 hours ago, ousux said:
11 hours ago, C-Man said:
Here's the dipshit Scott Salomon who wrote that god-awful article.
image.png.cd0ed17e8a63d882f86f55f91035e142.png

He looks like something produced in an aggy lab.

Says a lot that he -- or somebody at that stupid website -- chose this for his column pic is really remarkable. He looks like somebody who would write columns for shady gambling websites. Bio says he's a 1989 graduate of University of Miami so I know exactly how this douchebag sounds without even hearing him speak.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

he held a Texas offer, sure. but he never took a virtual visit to Texas but took a bunch elsewhere:

not calling out the dude but someone brought him up as a player Texas basically should have gone after but didn't push for. my point was he was considering lots of places, but not Texas even though he nominally held an offer.

he hasn't done shit at OU, so would be shocked if he ended up pulling a reverse Brennan Thompson (5 catch so far this year at OU)

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Just stop, man. Texas was interested in the guy, not just "nominally" or "wasn't interested" as you've claimed and you were wrong positioning it otherwise. The player and discussion are otherwise completely irrelevant to a Texas board looking forward.

16 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.63a5df7e6b7b07a5aef7cd6c6d24a90a.png

He looks the part.

I find it depressing, but we can't tell what it all means yet. At least, I don't think we can.

I'm wondering if all of these starting players leaving their schools are doing so based on what guys like them got paid last year in the portal. I don't think there was a glut last year. This year appears to be providing a look at what happens when the market is flooded with good players.

I gather from @closetojumping that Texas, a big-money player, is pressed to meet the payroll at current prices. Perhaps the current flood of players drives NIL payments down thus deterring so many players valuabe to their current teams from entering.

I'm not happy seeing medium size schools getting gutted. I'm not sure I like the feeling of picking over the free-agent market with NFL attitudes. But who cares, right? They were all mercenaries to start with. That or we've created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah I'm with you. As a fan of the sport in general, it's sad to see. It is quickly becoming impossible for low/mid-tier programs to even have a couple years of success because anytime they find a diamond in the rough, that player is immediately out the door.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah I'm with you. As a fan of the sport in general, it's sad to see. It is quickly becoming impossible for low/mid-tier programs to even have a couple years of success because anytime they find a diamond in the rough, that player is immediately out the door.

goodtobeking-theking.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NoName said:

He’s been injured practically the entire time he’s been at OU. I don’t know what some of these kids expect. You won’t play much if you can’t stay healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Just making it a lot more like college basketball. Rosters are going to change significantly from year to year. Makes talent identification that much more crucial.

This is really interesting. 

First - they do say this - "If he enters and stays in the portal, Texas seems like the likely destination."

Then they get into some interesting specifics re: Wells' NIL situation, and they have a very clear position on his decision. 

I'll follow up with a series of posts from a diff thread, that also get pretty specific on Wells/NIL.

(I think this site is officially part of an NIL entity - if I find the notes that refer to that, I'll post them.)

Team Scoop - Latest Portal scuttlebutt

Tony Morrell (South Carolina 247 / The Big Spur)

Spoiler

Team Scoop - Latest Portal scuttlebutt

Tony Morrell (South Carolina 247 / The Big Spur)

On Thursday, all signs pointed to South Carolina wide receiver Juice Wells entering the transfer portal as a graduate transfer, which would allow him to enroll elsewhere and be eligible to play immediately. If he enters and stays in the portal, Texas seems like the likely destination. There were multiple factors leading him in the direction of the portal, including his unhappiness with some internal aspects of the program related to his injury and subsequent failed recovery from surgery to repair a broken bone in his foot suffered over the summer. Also at play was his concern about next season in Columbia and whether hitching his wagon to freshman quarterback playing behind a questionable offensive line was the right move for him to improve his NFL stock.

Wells is also under the questionable impression that he was due even more money on the NIL front despite missing almost the entire 2023 season due to injury. Wells was already one of the most well-compensated players in the SEC and is undoubtedly a talented player. Still, it is hard to understand why he would think he should receive additional money when his production this season does not warrant it. I can tell you the lines of communication remained open between Wells and the staff as of yesterday, evening and they are still working on trying to persuade him to stay in Columbia, but that did not seem like a likely outcome as of my last few times checking on it.  The feeling is he is listening to the wrong people and could end up ina worse situation in terms of targets and beating the featured receiver. He is thinking too much about the short term and not enough about the long term.

Assuming Wells does follow through on his plans to leave, the staff will have to work to fill the hole through the transfer portal with another big-time player. They will also likely take multiple receivers from the portal to try to serve existing needs for playmakers even if Wells stayed in Columbia.

While I know yesterday was a roller coaster ride regarding players entering the portal and rumors of others who may follow suit, I think the overall outcome was a win for the Gamecocks. The vast majority of the core returning players appear set to stay in Columbia, and the staff is in a position to succeed in adding players of their own from the portal. I anticipate them continuing to be active and aggressive in the coming days and weeks.

• Hook 'Em 6

Follow up to the SC 247 post above - these posts from a diff thread, that also get pretty specific on Wells/NIL.

(Also - lulz at his statements on money, when someone immediately points out the inconsistency.  And the refusal to acknowledge that anything else may be playing some part ... .)

image.thumb.png.2a1ea97abcc1b8e54fd650cb9e77e457.png

image.thumb.png.9164423c62369f477d8c1577f6c29760.png

image.thumb.png.81b0a5ea47a93521121f2da57f50285c.png

image.thumb.png.3b0c88bd158f40337ae999302cafe860.png

image.thumb.png.ea8dccded912fe67c1d7ac2b71cac5e4.png

image.thumb.png.2a0283c15bb248cf727537192cd213bf.png

(Below - Wells related, I think.)

image.thumb.png.d7fdacf97af67bc2c895b5f83b82dc1a.png

image.thumb.png.41b8c2a3b652d4fac21249fb5d5b6243.png

image.thumb.png.b6d22e85f5f1707cf79aacfbd6bc8b88.png

image.thumb.png.e795be6bade8cd9be4b6bd140efb28ab.png

image.thumb.png.5b2f8fa269ddf80e743f04feaecb77a1.png

image.thumb.png.f419ce3d1675b64f107cf4e977a3443b.png

image.thumb.png.f89e860516e3a0fb1d6e10e31f19869f.png

Edited by Getafix

Re: Juice from above: "The feeling is he is listening to the wrong people and could end up ina worse situation in terms of targets and beating the featured receiver. He is thinking too much about the short term and not enough about the long term."

Staying in Columbia to be the #1 target of a freshman QB behind an inexperienced OL is a better situation that going to a place like Texas and being a 1B or 2A option for Quinn/Arch in Sark's offense? Pass me some of that good shit, man!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why are you giving closetohumping credit? I thought @BurntOrange&White constructed this. Compared to all of his idiocy in getting accidentally trolled on twitter/x, I thought this one was actually funny. 

In the great tradition of making a joke funny by explaining it, was making fun of closetohumping for reposting transfer tweets that he saw online. The joke being that the only possible way to have seen this was in this very thread. There, now I made it funny.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

In the great tradition of making a joke funny by explaining it, was making fun of closetohumping for reposting transfer tweets that he saw online. The joke being that the only possible way to have seen this was in this very thread. There, now I made it funny.

Everything about this page fucks minus this post.

54 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

31 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Everything about this page fucks minus this post.

you can only understand Serak if your tongue is pulled out.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.