2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

41 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Not true. I heard the field was expanding for the playoffs next year. Gonna need more players to cover all that grass. 

That is why they just built a 160 yard practice facility. 2-D Checkers.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Did Kinne leave? The portal is closed, or does he plan to enter the spring portal and decided to get his name out there as quickly as possible?

On3 had that Jayden de Laura committed to TXST yesterday. Maybe that rubbed Finley the wrong way?

2 hours ago, Yesh said:

You don't understand, On3 was created by Sip mastermind Bobby Burton to spew anti-A&M propaganda.  You need to look at Liucci's rankings, which are real.  The Elk is actually dominating the portal.  Trust The Elk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Nah, I don't think that is a fair assessment. Maye is legitimately pretty good. Is he a top 5 pick good? Probably not.

I should have been more particular with my words.

Drake Maye is not a winner. He is celebrated but mediocre. Like Jake Locker and Josh Rosen. People see a big guy with a cannon for an arm and think about all the potential.

Yes, Maye is better than those guys, but he is "fetch." The talking heads need to stop trying to make fetch happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

It's all a crapshoot. Josh Allen went 8-6 and 8-5 his only two full seasons starting at Wyoming. His completion percentage was 56% both seasons. His TD/Pick was 28/15 and 16/6. He wasn't a "winner" and I thought he was gonna suck. But he's now a top-5 NFL QB. 

I also thought Mahomes was gonna suck. It seems to be more about getting in the right situation with the right coaches, and the right supporting cast as much as talent and "winning."

Also, being a winner in college doesn't really seem to be much of an indicator for NFL success, even though that's why JJ McCarthy is being touted as a top-15 pick in this year's draft.

Who fucking knows. 

• Hook 'Em 9

16 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It's all a crapshoot. Josh Allen went 8-6 and 8-5 his only two full seasons starting at Wyoming. His completion percentage was 56% both seasons. His TD/Pick was 28/15 and 16/6. He wasn't a "winner" and I thought he was gonna suck. But he's now a top-5 NFL QB. 

I also thought Mahomes was gonna suck. It seems to be more about getting in the right situation with the right coaches, and the right supporting cast as much as talent and "winning."

Also, being a winner in college doesn't really seem to be much of an indicator for NFL success, even though that's why JJ McCarthy is being touted as a top-15 pick in this year's draft.

Who fucking knows. 

Probably better to draft guys that constantly have to fight through adversity and come from behind to win games.  They don't seem to crumble when they get to the playoffs.

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Nah, I don't think that is a fair assessment. Maye is legitimately pretty good. Is he a top 5 pick good? Probably not. I could see him being a mid level starter or perhaps have a Colt McCoy like career as a long time backup. This year's QB draft is going to be full of a bunch of fools gold. McCarthy will be out of the league in 5 years, Williams has a very high potential of flaming out, Nix is just not a great quarterback to begin with. Maye is the safest pick, and even then you aren't guaranteed a long term starter. Daniels and Jefferson may be two guys who could have some real impact, but I am still not fully sold on either at the next level. If I had to pick someone  as a starter Day 1, it would probably be Penix, and even he has a bunch of injury concerns. 

This is how I feel about it.  

Williams is a diva. Who knows if some of the Twitter shit is true but tweets say he doesn’t want to be drafted by Chicago and was a share of whatever team drafts him.  Has the tools to be good but will his ego let him? 

Maye just isn’t crazy impressive to me.  21-9 as a starter, no ACC champs (played in 1, a 39-10 loss to Clemson where we went 26/42 for 264, 0 TDs and 2 INTs), no playoff appearances, no NY6 appearances. An article I read said the ceiling for him is Carson Palmer and the floor is Blake Bortles.  

Nix and Penix fall into kinda the same category for me in the sense of both weren’t top 10 pick level of QB until these last two seasons where both were a 22 and 23 year old multi year starter.  Nix was dogshit till he got to Oregon and Penix obviously has the injury history. 

Daniels is the wildcard for me.  He’s had 3 years of improved throwing accuracy, passing yards, TDs and INTs.  His rushing also improved year by year.  Doesn’t have any injuries to really note. He’s hard to compare to someone NFL wise.  He’s not the thrower that Watson was coming out but he’s a better runner whereas he’s a much more polished passer than Lamar was but not the runner (Lamar is a lazy comparison to me, I look more Justin Fields/Kyler Murray outta college).  We’ve seen where Fields and Murray stand as far as the NFL is concerned.  

JJ isn’t good.  He’s got nearly identical stats as Greg McElroy coming out of Bama.  

I think best case scenario for everyone is Williams and Daniels are stars, Penix is a serviceable starter, Nix and Maye are fringe starter types and JJ is a career backup. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Daniels is the wildcard for me.  He’s had 3 years of improved throwing accuracy, passing yards, TDs and INTs.  His rushing also improved year by year.  Doesn’t have any injuries to really note. He’s hard to compare to someone NFL wise.  He’s not the thrower that Watson was coming out but he’s a better runner whereas he’s a much more polished passer than Lamar was but not the runner (Lamar is a lazy comparison to me, I look more Justin Fields/Kyler Murray outta college).  We’ve seen where Fields and Murray stand as far as the NFL is concerned.  

Fields is a good comp. So is Hurts. Maybe some Marcus Mariota as well. 

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Murphy at 16 is a good indicator that that mock is total horse shit. 

Murphy has been rising on internet mocks after comments made by Jim Nagy that Murphy is going to go significantly higher than people have him right now. Expectation is he is going to show out at Senior Bowl and will test exceptionally well at the combine. 

Also - that mock is from Dane Bugler, one of the most well-respected and well-connected mock draft guys. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Golden, Bolden and Bond are going to Cook

I'm honestly surprised they took three portal receivers. Have to think that may drive a DeAndre Moore or a Ryan Niblett away after spring (hopefully not Wingo); but I agree reloading the WR room with the best talent available is the move with Ewers coming back.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

I'm honestly surprised they took three portal receivers. Have to think that may drive a DeAndre Moore or a Ryan Niblett away after spring (hopefully not Wingo); but I agree reloading the WR room with the best talent available is the move with Ewers coming back.

Or maybe Sark starts to rotate more and we have fresh players in?  We can hope atleast, if he keeps it like he has been definitely losing some guys.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yep, I assume Niblett and/or Moore will transfer at some point, but Sark is trading in unknowns for knowns, can’t be mad at that.

There’s going to be great WRs in the portal every year and clearly Sark can land them. It’s one position none of us should spend any time worrying about.

• Like 1

Guessing the plan is to rely on offense next year. Which makes sense with Quinn returning. Hopefully with all this talent Sark either rotates more or trusts the back ups to come in when the starters are having a bad day or gimpy. Still mystified Brooks wasn’t the starter at the beginning of the season and took him getting injured for Blue to see any significant time on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Or maybe Sark starts to rotate more and we have fresh players in?  We can hope atleast, if he keeps it like he has been definitely losing some guys.  

Never really been a thing he's liked to do. 3-4 guys has typically been the limit, though it's worth noting Golden's got a track record of missing time to injury.

They brought in Milton in 2022 and he barely played, Neyor barely played, Cain played in 22 but barely played this year when Mitchell came in. He sticks with his guys at WR, pretty much the anti Herman in that regard. I am excited to see who the 3-4 guys are after the spring. I assume it'll be Cook, Golden, Bond, with some Bolden gadgetry but there is a lot of young talent to push. Wingo's skillset and build is pretty unique too. It may cost them some talent but they should end up with a stacked WR room for Ewers this year, which had to be the priority. Texas reloading at WR was really one of major conditions for competing for a championship again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Will probably just have to wait for a DT in the spring window and that’s fine. More development for the younger ones until then 

workaholics fer sure GIF

I worry our team is a little light in the ass to stop the run next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Now get a TE, preferably the Stanford one (failing that the Alabama one), and our offense is set.

Then get a couple DTs between now and August.,

Yeah even with the beaver, using a TE on occasion might be nice.

Edited by Bevo

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Never really been a thing he's liked to do. 3-4 guys has typically been the limit, though it's worth noting Golden's got a track record of missing time to injury.

They brought in Milton in 2022 and he barely played, Neyor barely played, Cain played in 22 but barely played this year when Mitchell came in. He sticks with his guys at WR, pretty much the anti Herman in that regard. I am excited to see who the 3-4 guys are after the spring. I assume it'll be Cook, Golden, Bond, with some Bolden gadgetry but there is a lot of young talent to push. Wingo's skillset and build is pretty unique too. It may cost them some talent but they should end up with a stacked WR room for Ewers this year, which had to be the priority. Texas reloading at WR was really one of major conditions for competing for a championship again.

You’re most likely right, that Sark just won’t rotate no matter what, but the WR room talent level is now orders of magnitude different from prior years.

Here are WRs 4-6 from the prior years (ugh):

2021: Kelvontay Dixon, Marcus Washington, Kai Money 

2022: Savion Red, Troy Omerie, B. Thompson

2023: Cook (FR), Deandre Moore (FR),  Isaiah Neyor (injured).

Even in 2023 when the talent level was the highest, it still didn’t even come close to the level of the first string.  The backups were either talented but true freshman (Cook & Moore), or inured/pouty Neyor.  They couldn’t really justify taking out the starters even when gassed because the talent drop-off and risk was still too high.

In 2024, it is not unreasonable to think that the backups might significantly close the talent gap enough to warrant spelling the starters, or in the case of Wingo offer a combination of size + speed that isn’t otherwise present on the roster.  There won’t be the same drop off from Golden to Cook than say, Golden to Marcus Washington.

Still, if Sark doesn’t rotate next season, the initial instinct would be to worry that otherwise how can you continue to pitch elite high school talent that they will see a path to development and playing time. But if this becomes the new normal, does it even matter?

• Hook 'Em 7

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.