2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

51 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There are rumors that more defensive players are about to enter the portal from Bama.

At some point, don't the Bama BMDs just close up shop (or have they already done that) and take a year or two off.  It's not like you can't start things up quickly when desired.

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Charlie, what would you say you do here?

Well, Kurt, I was in charge of teaching the center how to snap.

That’s what I thought.  Um, I think we’re going to go in a different direction next year.  Leave your forwarding address with the staff and we will make sure the severance checks are sent.

What if I don’t know my address?

You … you mean you’re going to be looking for a new job, so you don’t know where you’ll be, right?

No.  I’m still going to be at the same house.  It’s just all about zip codes being crazy and you look over there and it’s like you have to remember these 5 numbers or else people can’t send you mail, and you got so many numbers in your head already ..

Ok, just get the fuck out.

1877363982_dontspeaklilbitch.gif.ed01b378476f04772d74f54338ad07db.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I think having a limited thumper at LB as a situational player is a useful club to have in the bag, if the NIL/roster space isn't at the expense of someone we really need

Replacing Jett Bush, then.

37 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Charlie for DL coach! We know he can recruit and as a position coach that was his area for a few years. Also, Red would approve he was hired for the right level of coaching on a team.

Do not want. Surely will increase our defensive holding /s

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

This guy looks like he was built in a lab to play tackle, but Burke abused him in our game against them. Didn't look like he had improved a ton by the time of the playoffs, either. I'm guessing he got the honors based on his recruiting ranking and heavy playing time for a playoff team.

I was stoked when Banks made the Freshman All-American Team. The next year, so did Bison-tits. Then I realized that most OL redshirt their first year for S&C development. Superstars start as freshmen, and the other guys are freshmen who go to teams with desperate O-lines. Two guys who on paper are similar, when in reality they are opposite ends of the spectrum.

1 hour ago, nunna yo bizness said:

One thing I've seen consistently from Blue that I think is an important and under appreciated trait is his patience in the backfield to let his blocks develop.  So many RBs just run headlong to where the play is designed without that patience and miss out on some yards.  Blue shows that patience and then has the acceleration and speed to hit the holes his blockers create.

Tony Dorsett, Earl Campbell, and Billy Sims. The golden age of patience, acceleration and speed.

Guys are born with those attributes. Or not. Either way, you can't really teach them. You can learn to be patient, but if your default instinct is to hit the hole, you end up with guys that are flat footed in the backfield. If you know you have acceleration and breakaway speed, it's easy to be patient.

As the OL gets better, the need for patience is diminished. 

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Nope, because my PTSD says he's not a turd worth polishing.

He’d be a plus recruiter as analyst and he’s always been a good position coach, maybe coordinator. Either way I don’t think it’s happening. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He’d be a plus recruiter as analyst and he’s always been a good position coach, maybe coordinator. Either way I don’t think it’s happening. 

Charlie Strong isn't coming back. This is a dumb fucking tangent.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Charlie Strong isn't coming back. This is a dumb fucking tangent.

You say this, but he has an elite thousand yard stare. I think that alone is valuable enough to send out to the media to lob grenades at after any potential head scratching loss. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You say this, but he has an elite thousand yard stare. I think that alone is valuable enough to send out to the media to lob grenades at after any potential head scratching loss. 

He still have those tigers? LSU needs that man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

He was a good DC 20 years ago.

Not sure if he has CTE or something, but from reading his deposition transcript in the Wickline lawsuit I think he's on the regard level at this point

Q. Who are your current quarterback on your -- on your team right now?
A. Swoops.

Q. What's his -- what's his first name?
A. He goes by Swoops. Jarrod Heard. What's my man's first name? I -- done went blank on me.

Q. That happens to me. I call them senior moments. We're getting up there.
A. I know it.

Q. Mr. Strong, where do you reside?
A. Austin, Texas.

Q. Do you have a street address?
A.(Address deleted from the record by agreement)

Q. That's here in Austin?
A.Yes.

Q. And what's the zip code?
A.You got me.

Q. Do you know the zip code?
A. No, I don't.

Q. Okay. Arkansas game, ran 43 plays. How many of those did -- were -- was Joe Wickline responsible for?
A. Bad day.

Q. Not much offensive production that day.
A. 43 plays. Not much at all.

Q. A lot of offensive -- I mean, a lot of running plays that game, weren't there?
A. I don't know.

Q. So did Joe call most of the plays on that day?
A. I don't remember. It was an awful day. It's -- I don't want to remember that game we were so bad.

Q. Between your two guys calling offensive plays that day, who called more of them, Joe or Shawn?
A. I don't know that.

Q. Now, I assume when you -- you got the job offer at the University of Texas you were quite flattered. Is that accurate?
A. Me being flattered?

Q. Yes.
A. I wouldn't say I was flattered.

Q. Well, you would agree with me, wouldn't you, that the University of Texas is probably regarded as a top-ten collegiate coaching destination, wouldn't you?
A. I mean, but -- what -- I feel like I'm qualified to be -- I mean, that's why I say I'm not flattered.

Q. Well -- and -- and -- and I didn't -- I didn't mean that derogatory. In fact, I meant it to be -- I meant to praise you.
A. Oh, okay. I'm sorry.

Assuming this is real...good grief.

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Not going to be needed, since we are never losing again.

11 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

For the health of everyone involved, a mental restraining order needs to stay in place regarding Charlie Strong and the University of Texas. 

This.  Stop with the Charlie Strong hypotheticals and "humor."  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

This.  Stop with the Charlie Strong hypotheticals and "humor."  

You say that without realizing that our next DL coach is going to be Clint Hurtt.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That's because he's never sure what zip code he is in. Or which team he is coaching. 

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Really who would have kept the guys that left especially since Downs during his recruitment said he would only trust Saban or Smart to develop him properly. Do you think Bond would have stayed Freshwater but not DeBoer? Please tell us what hire would have done better.

Probably Lanning

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

He was a good DC 20 years ago.

Not sure if he has CTE or something, but from reading his deposition transcript in the Wickline lawsuit I think he's on the regard level at this point

Q. Who are your current quarterback on your -- on your team right now?
A. Swoops.

Q. What's his -- what's his first name?
A. He goes by Swoops. Jarrod Heard. What's my man's first name? I -- done went blank on me.

Q. That happens to me. I call them senior moments. We're getting up there.
A. I know it.

Q. Mr. Strong, where do you reside?
A. Austin, Texas.

Q. Do you have a street address?
A.(Address deleted from the record by agreement)

Q. That's here in Austin?
A.Yes.

Q. And what's the zip code?
A.You got me.

Q. Do you know the zip code?
A. No, I don't.

Q. Okay. Arkansas game, ran 43 plays. How many of those did -- were -- was Joe Wickline responsible for?
A. Bad day.

Q. Not much offensive production that day.
A. 43 plays. Not much at all.

Q. A lot of offensive -- I mean, a lot of running plays that game, weren't there?
A. I don't know.

Q. So did Joe call most of the plays on that day?
A. I don't remember. It was an awful day. It's -- I don't want to remember that game we were so bad.

Q. Between your two guys calling offensive plays that day, who called more of them, Joe or Shawn?
A. I don't know that.

Q. Now, I assume when you -- you got the job offer at the University of Texas you were quite flattered. Is that accurate?
A. Me being flattered?

Q. Yes.
A. I wouldn't say I was flattered.

Q. Well, you would agree with me, wouldn't you, that the University of Texas is probably regarded as a top-ten collegiate coaching destination, wouldn't you?
A. I mean, but -- what -- I feel like I'm qualified to be -- I mean, that's why I say I'm not flattered.

Q. Well -- and -- and -- and I didn't -- I didn't mean that derogatory. In fact, I meant it to be -- I meant to praise you.
A. Oh, okay. I'm sorry.

Charlie is the perfect replacement for Corso on GameDay.  

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.