2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Luginbill, geez. I like the guy. He knows what he's doing there. 

Let this become a given on this board for the regulars, because it's clearly not going to be understood on the public side of things for awhile:

Arch Manning is who Texas wants to be the starter in 2025. They'd have been happy rolling with him as the starter in 2024. Arch is happy to see where things go next year and be the man in 2025. He is, in part, happy because he's being incented to stick on the roster in ways only starting P4 QBs are compensated, and only elite ones at that. The next time some dildo writes clickbait about Manning being a flight risk, remember this. Then, stop handwringing and tell others to shut the fuck up about it. 

Texas has the best QB room in CFB for the 2024 season and that's not by cheap accident. 

First year moving to the SEC with expectations is a hell of a lot of pressure on a kid.  I'm sure a part of Arch is happy we have a stabilizing force to enter that first year, go through the madness. 

7 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Curious about sentiment on the board: anybody expect Helm to start over Niblack (with Niblack still getting plenty of reps rotating in for passing downs and 12 personnel)? That's where I'm at but maybe it's a minority opinion.

CSS's philosophy appears to be get the more dynamic playmaker on the field and let him work through the rest of his game.

I bet we would see Helm a lot more in the redzone and situational football.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

15 minutes ago, JBJ said:

CSS's philosophy appears to be get the more dynamic playmaker on the field and let him work through the rest of his game.

I bet we see a lot more Helm in the spring game and less during the season.

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I feel like Helm may end up surprising a lot of us. I don’t think that changes the need for Niblack I just think we will get more out of Helm than we may think right now. 

• Hook 'Em 8

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Deboer is tearing Alabama down to the studs in order to rebuild something that didn’t need to be rebuilt. Folks still employed there are fucking dumbfounded. 

I guess this is the way Deboer did it at his other stops, so it’s got to be this way in Tuscaloosa? I’m enjoying it, I know that. 

I don't think it's his choice, these kids came for one reason.  He pleaded for them to stay

• Hook 'Em 2

Curious about sentiment on the board: anybody expect Helm to start over Niblack (with Niblack still getting plenty of reps rotating in for passing downs and 12 personnel)? That's where I'm at but maybe it's a minority opinion.
I'd be more in favor of teaching the high 4 or 5* (depending on who you ask) TE with WR speed how to block on running plays, but maybe that's just me. Helm will still get plenty of snaps, don't worry about that.

41 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

13 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Sorry dumb question but does that mean no Stanford guy? If he committed I missed it

I'm pretty sure it means no Yurosek. However, he has not committed anywhere. I haven't seen anything reported on his previously scheduled visit to Texas, yet.

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Helm is good. He doesn't have the athleticism of Sanders, but he's a good blocker, has great size, and can catch. He'll spend material time in the NFL.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well hopefully your Georgia booster friends knows more than the Alabama fans booster friend. lol

Far more likely he heard what the agent told Georgia to run up the price. I was skeptical for a reason.

15 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Sorry dumb question but does that mean no Stanford guy? If he committed I missed it

He did not.  I think we prioritized Niblack.  Bet Stanford kid ends up at UGA. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ousux said:
40 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'd be more in favor of teaching the high 4 or 5* (depending on who you ask) TE with WR speed how to block on running plays, but maybe that's just me. Helm will still get plenty of snaps, don't worry about that.

Yeah, no shit. I actually don't think it is just you that would prefer that. 

If Niblack learns to block that will be great. Personally I see that as a two year journey but I'm happy to hope he puts it together this offseason. And I know Helm isn't an elite blocker in his own right, so if Niblack can be serviceable he'll earn PT. 

Personally, my way-too-early prediction for our front-line personnel is Cook/Bond/Baxter/Blue/Helm with Golden and Niblack mixing into the rotation in an impactful way. Bolden seems like he's headed for '21/'22 Keilan usage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

If and when they get downs…sheesh 

It will legit be UGA 1A and Texas 1B to start the season if we get a DT or two in the spring period (or Oatis if he enters in the 30 day window)  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It will legit be UGA 1A and Texas 1B to start the season if we get a DT or two in the spring period (or Oatis if he enters in the 30 day window)  

I agree with this very very much. And I’m really not complaining. Just have to dodge the injury bug and we are in great shape. Oh and dodge the Mississippi and Arkansas and Florida and Tennessee and Alabama and Alabama plains(definitely count as 2) voodoo-even if we don’t play them we have to drive through 

11 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Personally, my way-too-early prediction for our front-line personnel is Cook/Bond/Baxter/Blue/Helm with Golden and Niblack mixing into the rotation in an impactful way.

Golden will be playing a ton barring injuries (which will happen). 

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

The hits keep coming

from reddit thread - i think Talty is at Bama Online? he's one of their insiders. Loy just has a relationship with the player/family

John Talty: Feel confident saying that Julian and the family intended/wanted to stay and this is driven much more by DeBoer and staff than by Julian. Unfortunate situation because I'm a huge believer in Julian's talents and think he's going to be a star.

Tom Loy: This. He wanted to stick it out initially and then well, things went south. Shocked to be honest. Sayin is the real deal. I think the new staff will regret this one. Just my opinion.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

What are the odds we get a DT while we still don't have a DT coach, and should I be rooting for the Ravens tomorrow?

There is a small list of DTs that are high quality players who may very well enter the portal in April. If any of them do, everything needed to make a compelling pitch is at Sarkisian's disposal. People shouldn't worry over OT, but, I guess, where else is there to handwring? 

Also, I mentioned Oatis yesterday. I think Texas would make a pitch there, but it doesn't like there'd be any room to do so if he enters. Sounds like the decision is to stay or head to GA. 

• Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Helm won't surprise me. I think he's going to wind up drafted and playing for awhile in the NFL. I don't see that after next season, but I think he's on that journey if he stays 5 years. He's showing improvement year over year in every part of his game as he adds weight and strength. I think we'll see plenty of Helm and Niblack on the field together. 

I wasn't really talking about the players. He came in and immediately fired over 30 roles on staff. He's not even spoken to most of the people there that he inherited that he hasn't fired yet. This isn't some sad sack group of personnel. Most of these people are considered elite at what they do and will find themselves in other big time spots when they exit the Bama program. He's already torn out infrastructure that wasn't required to be dismantled. It's not like he's been tasked with cutting costs or killing the culture. 

He's also been reluctant to meet with $$ and Saban. It's a bold strategy.

image.png.bda8b1d0b14c4ce91cde6a3524e61969.png

59 minutes ago, JBJ said:

43 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Don't you mean PGH, or TEGH?

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Helm won't surprise me. I think he's going to wind up drafted and playing for awhile in the NFL. I don't see that after next season, but I think he's on that journey if he stays 5 years. He's showing improvement year over year in every part of his game as he adds weight and strength. I think we'll see plenty of Helm and Niblack on the field together. 

I wasn't really talking about the players. He came in and immediately fired over 30 roles on staff. He's not even spoken to most of the people there that he inherited that he hasn't fired yet. This isn't some sad sack group of personnel. Most of these people are considered elite at what they do and will find themselves in other big time spots when they exit the Bama program. He's already torn out infrastructure that wasn't required to be dismantled. It's not like he's been tasked with cutting costs or killing the culture. 

Helm reminds me of Dalton Schultz, could be just because they're white.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

i'm kind of shocked Byrne didn't have all this laid out before they hired anyone - the expectations around what was going to stay and not, what was going to be changed and not. guess in part this didn't happen because of the speed they moved.

on paper DeBoer was a great hire. but damn, his message is 100% not connecting with players. so many guys entering the portal you don't want to lose, it isn't like they are losing their version of Crawford and Hyphen - they are losing guys who played major snaps last year and who would have played major snaps this year PLUS losing depth.

at this rate, they are going to struggle big time in 2024. he should thank his lucky stars they start off with a pretty soft schedule (WKU, USF, @Wisc, vs UGA, @Vandy) before @ Tennessee, Missouri, @ LSU, Mercer, @ OU, Auburn

the noise is going to get very, very loud for him for running some of those guys off - and they will end up being vocal about it.

honestly, i am kind of shocked that Milroe is staying. dude must have gotten paaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiddddd, because the offense that DeBoer runs doesn't really appear to be a very good match for his skillset.

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

honestly, i am kind of shocked that Milroe is staying. dude must have gotten paaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiddddd, because the offense that DeBoer runs doesn't really appear to be a very good match for his skillset.

I for one am looking forward to the Kalen Jalen offense.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is absolutely mind blowing to me. In the rare occasion that a coach takes over a championship level program (Miles at LSU, Riley at OU, Day at Ohio State, Larry Coker at Miami), the first few years are on auto pilot. If the guy sucks, some cracks will start to show but it generally takes a while for the rot to creep in. Deboer just went in and blew up the machine that greatest coach in the history of college football built over 17 years? The portal stuff may be largely out of Deboer's control, but this should be the easy part. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is absolutely mind blowing to me. In the rare occasion that a coach takes over a championship level program (Miles at LSU, Riley at OU, Day at Ohio State, Larry Coker at Miami), the first few years are on auto pilot. If the guy sucks, some cracks will start to show but it generally takes a while for the rot to creep in. Deboer just went in and blew up the machine that greatest coach in the history of college football built over 17 years? The portal stuff may be largely out of Deboer's control, but this should be the easy part. 

The portal stuff isn't largely outside of his control. I'd say it's somewhat outside of his control. If he isn't meeting with money, or Saban, and they are firing support staff that oftentimes has exremely close relationships with the players despite not being on the field coaches...then that is shit that is definitely within DeBoer's control. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

I feel like Helm may end up surprising a lot of us. I don’t think that changes the need for Niblack I just think we will get more out of Helm than we may think right now. 

Helm is a quality TE who will play on Sundays. He has great hands and is a very good blocker. He doesn't have elite speed, but not many TEs do. Niblack just happens to be one of those. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

As someone who used to design his own very basic web pages to display ratings pages, I'm already triggered. 

That site was great. Was one of my go to resources for betting totals. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Let me play devil’s advocate-maybe DeBoer has done this with limited NIL resources in mind.  “I can’t Saban this program because I’m not Saban.”

He knows that means he’s going to lose next year but it’s a means to jumpstart the NIL donors or get state/institutional support as we presume LSU does (the whole robbing hospital thing).  

Plus it makes for a clean expectation break and he’s thinking this gives him more runway than otherwise (in other words, he can point to year over year improvement, which is easier starting from 4-8).  

Finally, he understands that 70% of this was out of his control-once the portal was open and without Saban the wolves would circle and there simply wasn’t money keeping everyone in.  

I’m with @closetojumping that dismantling all of the Saban machine parts is pouring gasoline on the fire and isn’t likely helpful, but that’s all behind the scenes.  

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

What a bunch of idiots. Can’t even get Arch’s classification right. 

Seriously, wtf? "RS Junior" a year from now? Did I Rip Van Winkle a couple of years away or something?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Let me play devil’s advocate-maybe DeBoer has done this with limited NIL resources in mind.  “I can’t Saban this program because I’m not Saban.”

He knows that means he’s going to lose next year but it’s a means to jumpstart the NIL donors or get state/institutional support as we presume LSU does (the whole robbing hospital thing).  

Plus it makes for a clean expectation break and he’s thinking this gives him more runway than otherwise (in other words, he can point to year over year improvement, which is easier starting from 4-8).  

Finally, he understands that 70% of this was out of his control-once the portal was open and without Saban the wolves would circle and there simply wasn’t money keeping everyone in.  

I’m with @closetojumping that dismantling all of the Saban machine parts is pouring gasoline on the fire and isn’t likely helpful, but that’s all behind the scenes.  

I am not sure it is a willful dismantling of the Saban machine as much as it is the Saban machine flying apart like a washing machine full of bricks. There is really no way to force donors and bagmen to stay the course, and it is pretty natural for guys to want to size up the next coach before they start committing 6 figures per year to pay players, especially if those are low four stars brought in to replace 5 stars. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am not sure it is a willful dismantling of the Saban machine as much as it is the Saban machine flying apart like a washing machine full of bricks. There is really no way to force donors and bagmen to stay the course, and it is pretty natural for guys to want to size up the next coach before they start committing 6 figures per year to pay players, especially if those are low four stars brought in to replace 5 stars. 

Well, who fired the 30 support staff members, analysts, recruiting coordinators, etc.? Because they didn't all just fucking quit when Saban retired. They got fired. Because that isn't flying apart, that is dismantling. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.