2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"If we don't see an upward trajectory at every vacated spot on the roster, every cycle, then something is wrong."

Yeah. DT was the best position on the team last year, it won't be next year, and that's fine. Sometimes you replace Bijan and Roshon with Brooks, Baxter, and Blue and you do just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 8

I’m glad I had this discussion about Savea’s fit and PFF run grades with some of the rational folks around here the other day. Before the mindless droves smelled brains and dragged themselves along. 

He seems to be a very capable run defender.  And we wait from there. 

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I googled him and had seen some photos of him lining up at what looked like end. Admittedly not the most scientific approach I guess. 

Fuck the haters, don't give in to their opinions! Sark has absolutely dropped the ball this offseason! I mean, just look at receiver. How are we supposed to win a conference championship going from this--

65774637bce53.image.jpg?resize=1200,842

To this--

hero-image.fill.size_1248x702.v169702646

• Haha 6
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I assume some of this is driven by the lack of a DL coach, but that isn't all of it. We've already seen elements to the position addressed by Collins coming back, Savea being added, and several of us, who would actually fucking know, saying that there is NIL slotted for spring time DL portal help. Yet the pussyrubbing continues. 

Is the delay because there is some flight risk or just lack of a coach and uncertain of need.

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

man, idk what to tell you.

GIS results for a position player is literally as far from scientific as you can get.

searching for his name, his name and arizona and his name with UCLA and the only image i see that looks like he is an end is this one:

image.thumb.png.bf5f97a402f550c2df8867b4f5243f15.png

which isn't him, his UCLA # was #98

image.png.f0e653b5df21953e7bfefd67c0fc53a0.png

it's some LB/EDGE dude

image.png.27b2f9d557eb1e8ebc1452b888b8dc3c.png

idk what to tell you. but you running to make a comment about how a guy is a miss and played a position based on a GIS result is just...so you.

It was mostly the ones on his slideshow thing on his bio on the Arizona football site.

16 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

CJ said that around 33% of his snaps he lined up over or outside of the Tackle. I would guess those would be 3 man front looks but not sure. 

66% were in the B gap. 

Thanks, that’s what I figured. He definitely hasn’t been used much in a traditional DT role. 

Just now, Bevo said:

Is the delay because there is some flight risk or just lack of a coach and uncertain of need.

What flight risk do you think there is at a position without a position coach currently? Do you really think someone is saying "Listen, if they hire a new DL coach, I'm fucking out of here" and we're delaying the hire to placate that player? 

There's a portal window after spring. The staff has almost certainly determiend the'yre going to wait out all the coaching carousel and see what shakes loose now, or see what comes available after spring training. 

54 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:
PK and Sark must see something that I don't. This dude has done fuck all at the college level and isn't a run stuffer like we need to be replacing. 

I hope I'm wrong though. 

He's a trill replacement.

Small difference, imo. Savea has some growth left in him, and some decent athleticism to make a play. Trill was a known quantity to occupy blockers for a few plays.

Edited by pacman

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am finding the angst being ginned up on this board around the DT spot to be both nauseating and perplexing. It's a mix of handwringers who just need something to worry over and a bizarre cadre of imbeciles who seem to be intent on bemoaning the position simply because there are equally talented replacements just sitting there and ready to go behind Sweat and Murphy. "If we don't see an upward trajectory at every vacated spot on the roster, every cycle, then something is wrong."

I assume some of this is driven by the lack of a DL coach, but that isn't all of it. We've already seen elements to the position addressed by Collins coming back, Savea being added, and several of us, who would actually fucking know, saying that there is NIL slotted for spring time DL portal help. Yet the pussyrubbing continues. 

Some say the foreplay is the best part. Pussyrubbing is foreplay? 

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

There’s a delay because more players are going to enter the portal in the Spring. The super DT that you want them to get, doesn’t exist in the portal right now. 

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Thanks, that’s what I figured. He definitely hasn’t been used much in a traditional DT role. 

Yes he has. He’s a 3-tech. It’s not untraditional at all. 

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

There’s a delay because more players are going to enter the portal in the Spring. The super DT that you want them to get, doesn’t exist in the portal right now. 

Yes he has. He’s a 3-tech. It’s not untraditional at all. 

I think he's conflating "traditional DT" with nose tackle (0 or 1 tech).

Like you, and many have said, Savea has played a good amount as a 3-tech traditional DT.

Posters just want an immediate replacement for Sweat. Texas doesn't have a 0/1-tech on the roster outside of Mitchell, right now. Maybe Collins gets big enough.

Edited by MuellerHorn

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't even know what your question about flight risk means. If guys leave Texas that Texas really wants to keep, it's because of something absurd somewhere else. They're not worrying over flight risks. The UT roster is getting what it needs, and that includes some guys that aren't getting anything or much of anything. Up or out. If I react here to something with a "wow" kind of response, then worry about a guy leaving. No one should have been worrying over Trill Carter, for fuck's sake. 

Oatis was thought to be someone who might enter the portal. Georgia was making a hard push there. Texas would at least have a conversation if the guy entered without being dead set on UGa. The retention of Roach and Oatis' natural preference to stay put has made this really unlikely and the window for enrolling at Texas is now basically closed. 

Unlike this board, Texas isn't in some worried state about DT. The DL needs a coach, that coach needs to make his evaluations of the personnel in the spring, and then choices can be made.

Guys elsewhere that finish the spring and think they can do better on the NIL front and still get starter minutes or close to, they'll reach out to Texas/Ohio State/Oregon/UGa. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Rare miss by Sark getting this Savea guy. He had 18% of his season total of tackles last year in the first game of the season. Did absolutely nothing the last 11 games of the year. Not saying he’s a bad player but we need pass rushers, and that’s not what he is.

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Unlike this board, Texas isn't in some worried state about DT. The DL needs a coach, that coach needs to make his evaluations of the personnel in the spring, and then choices can be made.

Next year's team shouldn't need the Outland winner at DT. We were lucky that Sweat got himself into shape to compensate for the state of edge development, but we'll naturally be better there with who's coming back

Bobby reporting at the new site Muhammad is leaning Oregon

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/90-update-on-jabbar-muhammad-tuesday-1219pm/#comment-825

Spoiler

Sources tell On Texas Football that Jabbar Muhammad is likely favoring Oregon at this moment. Muhammad, a Washington transfer and second-team All-Pac 12 selection in 2023, visited Texas last week. He then visited Alabama over the weekend.

But Oregon is expected to host him this week and the Ducks have gone from a major player in this recruitment to his potential leader.

Muhammad is expected to make a decision by no later than Jan. 30.

The Longhorns have already inked eight players in the NCAA transfer portal, the latest coming earlier today from Tiaoalii Savea, a 6-foot-4, 305-pound defensive tackle from Arizona.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

6 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Bobby reporting at the new site Muhammad is leaning Oregon

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/90-update-on-jabbar-muhammad-tuesday-1219pm/#comment-825

Hide contents

Sources tell On Texas Football that Jabbar Muhammad is likely favoring Oregon at this moment. Muhammad, a Washington transfer and second-team All-Pac 12 selection in 2023, visited Texas last week. He then visited Alabama over the weekend.

But Oregon is expected to host him this week and the Ducks have gone from a major player in this recruitment to his potential leader.

Muhammad is expected to make a decision by no later than Jan. 30.

The Longhorns have already inked eight players in the NCAA transfer portal, the latest coming earlier today from Tiaoalii Savea, a 6-foot-4, 305-pound defensive tackle from Arizona.

Seemed inevitable given the lack of sunshine from Bama and the no guaranteed snaps here

Side-note: @immamac is there a best practice for supporting the OTF site when cross-posting news? I try to link to stuff like the Athletic etc because I know the clicks do matter. Maybe posting the link can embed in some way? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Seemed inevitable given the lack of sunshine from Bama and the no guaranteed snaps here

Side-note: @immamac is there a best practice for supporting the OTF site when cross-posting news? I try to link to stuff like the Athletic etc because I know the clicks do matter. Maybe posting the link can embed in some way? 

I asked this same question. Because of how they're integrated as websites (signing up with surly acc, and having a sidebar of OTF headlines) it's not an issue. I plan on supporting them if a paywall goes up but theres not a way other than attributing what we read/hear from them, to them.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I am finding the angst being ginned up on this board around the DT spot to be both nauseating and perplexing. It's a mix of handwringers who just need something to worry over and a bizarre cadre of imbeciles who seem to be intent on bemoaning the position simply because there are equally talented replacements just sitting there and ready to go behind Sweat and Murphy. "If we don't see an upward trajectory at every vacated spot on the roster, every cycle, then something is wrong."

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I laughed. But I posted that tidbit 2-4 days ago. Maybe I'm just too subtle of a poster or something. I get accused of that a lot, you know.

You should really learn to speak your mind CTJ. We're all often unsure of what you're thinking or specific thoughts on a player or issue.

You're always completely confusing and vague in very post.

• Haha 2

CJ bringing gas on Will Johnson as an option. Believe he's a Michigan legacy so I'm skeptical but I'll huff the hopium

https://ontexasfootball.com/news/potential-next-route-for-portal-cb-r48/

Texas is still hot in pursuit of former Washington CB Jabbar Muhammad, however as Bobby mentioned earlier this afternoon, the Oregon Ducks are positioned to take the pole position with Muhammad now in Eugene.

Now, if Muhammad does decide to join the Ducks, there is another name from another program to keep an eye on.

Jim Harbaugh is reportedly headed to Los Angeles today for a 2nd in-person interview with the Chargers. A deal is within "strikiing distance" per Zach Barnett of FootballScoop.

Should Harbaugh depart, a name passed on to me to keep an eye on in regards to a possible portal entry is CB Will Johnson. 

Johnson was the Defensive MVP of the National Title game a former five-star prospect out of Grosse Pointe, Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornmatic said:

CJ said that around 33% of his snaps he lined up over or outside of the Tackle. I would guess those would be 3 man front looks but not sure. 

66% were in the B gap. 

He saw snaps at both 0 and 4/5 End on 3-man fronts.  That's probably where the 33% comes from.  He was never really an edge player.

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

CJ bringing gas on Will Johnson as an option. Believe he's a Michigan legacy so I'm skeptical but I'll huff the hopium

https://ontexasfootball.com/news/potential-next-route-for-portal-cb-r48/

Knock me over with a feather if that guy enters the portal. He's all Michigan, has a great amount of NIL, and will be a day one pick next season irrespective of the coaching situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Yeah. DT was the best position on the team last year, it won't be next year, and that's fine. Sometimes you replace Bijan and Roshon with Brooks, Baxter, and Blue and you do just fine. 

It was not just the best position but a historically great position can anyone even name two DT from the same team that won the DPOY and the Lineman of the year on the same year on the same conference? Sweat and Murphy were literally #1 and #2 in the whole country.

Expecting the same level of results is fools gold, that said Savea looks really really fucking promising his upward tragectory is EXACTLY what you want to look for in the transfer portal, these are the grades vs OU

image.thumb.png.23e01180e2e87e6fd09963d0bb8da058.png

image.thumb.png.ac0d08366cfa47d686c973c0a274e584.png

Savea 3 tackles on 13 run defensive snaps Sweat 2 on 13 Collins 2 on 21 and Murphy 1 on 18 run defensive snaps, tackles on a DT are still too small a sample size grades are way way better meassure of skill and he was the best graded DT of the bunch against OU

Edited by linux
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I googled him and had seen some photos of him lining up at what looked like end. Admittedly not the most scientific approach I guess. 

Jesus Christ you are fucking retarded. It’s quite impressive unless you are a troll. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.