2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:30 AM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I can understand the idea that Sark isn't the "genius" he's propped up to be as a play caller, but I don't think that's the right criticism. Imo, he's often calling the right plays and scheming mismatches against the right guys, but he's way too agnostic with his own o-line personnel. He didn't give a flying fuck who the RG was on that play - only that whoever it was has a 50lb advantage and should do their job. 

It's why I think he was most successful at Alabama, and assuming the recruiting parity remains, I don't think we'll see another cfb team like those Alabama powerhouses in a long time. He has to adjust to marry mismatches with our strengths on the line and not just exploit the biggest mismatch

That “genius on play calls but ignorant/don’t care on personnel to run them” thing was the song on John Mackovic too. 

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby insinuating that Neyor returning to Texas next year but nothing definitive yet, just early rumblings after it looked like he was on the way out. 

He would be in great position to have a big year if he comes back after a full rehab. 

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby insinuating that Neyor returning to Texas next year but nothing definitive yet, just early rumblings after it looked like he was on the way out. 

What's his health like? When we entered the season, I was under the impression he was 100 percent; but I haven't seen near as much of him as I was expecting this year. 

6 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

What's his health like? When we entered the season, I was under the impression he was 100 percent; but I haven't seen near as much of him as I was expecting this year. 

He wasn't 100% when the season started. No clue about now as I haven't heard his name mentioned in two months. 

47 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If he's not a grad transfer he'd have to sit out a year somewhere. And we're losing, probably, our three starting WRs. It would be a pretty bad business decision for him to leave.

Or he could just get a waiver like literally everyone else in the country and the NCAA won't do shit

25 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Or he could just get a waiver like literally everyone else in the country and the NCAA won't do shit

Or he could stay, ball out in the SEC in a great wide receiver friendly offense as a starter and get a shot at the NFL. A cost benefit analysis is pretty simple here. Once healthy it is pretty easy to see a path for playing time. We really only played 3 WRs on a high play count this year. All three of those guys should be leaving.

Edited by Longhornlove

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

The NCAA is the one granting the waiver so no shit they wouldn’t do shit, also the vast majority of those waiver requests for a second transfer have been denied. He’s not getting a waiver if he doesn’t graduate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

The NCAA is the one granting the waiver so no shit they wouldn’t do shit, also the vast majority of those waiver requests for a second transfer have been denied. He’s not getting a waiver if he doesn’t graduate. 

He can go to UNC. Mack has the “whining nonstop about waivers” play perfected 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, Neyor returning would be a huge boost.

Neyor, Cook, Moore, Niblett, Wingo, Dubose, and Livingstone are a great start. Probably going to pull in one from the portal.

I’m not sure if you would have to go to the portal in that scenario unless a guy enters who you just can’t say no to 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

He can go to UNC. Mack has the “whining nonstop about waivers” play perfected 

The Tez Walker situation was completely different, they had a leg to stand on because his freshman season got completely canceled due to Covid so he never played a down or had the opportunity to at his initial school. They still had to threaten the NCAA with a lawsuit to force their hand, Neyor doesn’t have that leg to stand on as he has actually played for 2 different schools. 

The only way Neyor is getting a waiver is if he has a family member with a terminal illness and wants to transfer back to TCU/SMU to be closer to them. 

20 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

Bryce or Jacoby to pair with Derek Williams. 

I would say go get both, they both had us second in their recruitments and both have engaged with people at Texas about transferring. Only issue is if you get both you’re would be asking Bryce to play nickel and his close friend who has been trying to get him to Texas is expected to take that spot over. So more likely try to get Bryce at safety and leave it at that. 

They have some DT that would be nice to have. 

Evan is going to tell the whole world again how he wants to transfer to Texas but I think Texas is over Evan. He played with Texas twice already. Arch would have to personally ask Sark at this point for them to engage with Evan. 

Yeah fuck Evan. He had his chances.

• Hook 'Em 2

I know we are all excited about poaching off the Aggie roster but here’s a little glass half empty rebuttal-the chaos of a coaching change always results in a bunch of transfers out and that’s before NIL and a feckless NCAA made it attractive to jump.  

If A&M does lose 40% of its roster, it’s going to be natural for boosters to hunt for replacements and our roster would be a good place to start.  I doubt they pull anyone but it likely makes it more expensive to keep the roster intact and those dollars could otherwise be devoted to incoming transfers.   

I’m sure we’ll happily take a player or two if they come with low demands in an area we expect to lose starters to the NFL, but I doubt we are going to spend big if USC or someone else gets greedy.  

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

If A&M does lose 40% of its roster, it’s going to be natural for boosters to hunt for replacements and our roster would be a good place to start.  I doubt they pull anyone but it likely makes it more expensive to keep the roster intact and those dollars could otherwise be devoted to incoming transfers.

They're going to do that regardless

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't care about Evan Stewart coming to Texas but nothing would be more aggie misery inducing than him catching the winning touchdown for texas in college station next season.

Well lets hope that is when we go up 7-0 and then blow them out like we did OU last year.

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Yep.  I assume A&M $$$ in play for the portal just went up considerably compared to if Jimbo were getting another year.  They aren't bringing in a new coach (and a new coach isn't taking a job) without some assurances they are ready to put money to work. We're going to need our donors/one fund contributors to step up.

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I know we are all excited about poaching off the Aggie roster but here’s a little glass half empty rebuttal-the chaos of a coaching change always results in a bunch of transfers out and that’s before NIL and a feckless NCAA made it attractive to jump.  

I’m sure we’ll happily take a player or two if they come with low demands in an area we expect to lose starters to the NFL, but I doubt we are going to spend big if USC or someone else gets greedy.  

Man, I have a hard time seeing anyone we give a shit about transferring over there.  I mean, never say never but that's like 99 on my list of concerns regarding the UT program.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yep.  I assume A&M $$$ in play for the portal just went up considerably compared to if Jimbo were getting another year.  They aren't bringing in a new coach (and a new coach isn't taking a job) without some assurances they are ready to put money to work. We're going to need our donors/one fund contributors to step up.

Good luck with the latter if what Imma and them say is true

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Good luck with the latter if what Imma and them say is true

He was saying that if the boosters had to pay for his buyout. They don't. They 12th man Foundation just had a 160,000,000 check written to them. This has been all over the place. The university has stated multiple times over the past week that the school would be paying for it.

Edited by MisterP

1 minute ago, MisterP said:

He was saying that if the boosters had to pay for his buyout. They don't. They 12th man Foundation just had a 160,000,000 check written to them. This has been all over the place. The university has stated multiple times over the past week that the school would be paying for it.

That's not the latter...

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m looking at the aggy roster now. Who did Texas finish second for?

Bryce Anderson, Jacoby Matthews and Dewberry come to mind. 

The same Dewberry who can't crack the starting lineup on a line full of G5 level players?

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.