Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Please tell me you aren't watering your lawn.

Speaking of football season, I'm quite afraid we are going  to get a few on the field tragedies from this shit.

I'm not in Austin. We are on twice a week watering, which I do at 3am. Where I am if you don't water a little your foundation falls apart.

Welp, got some good news and bad news in the latest forecasts.

DFW: 107 tomorrow, but 2 "nice' days on tap Tuesday and Wednesday with highs only in the mid-90's. Brutality resumes Thursday-Sunday. Slight improvement the week after, with highs ~102 or less. No sign of any rain at all though.

Austin: 106 tomorrow, but 2 better days Tuesday and Wednesday, though not quite as significant temp dropoff as DFW. ~105 again Thursday and Friday, before highs start edging down a few ticks Saturday and Sunday. Small but noticeable rain chances Monday-Wednesday. Highs 102 or less the week after next. 

Houston: 103 and muggy AF tomorrow. Highs still ~100 but significantly less humidity Tuesday and Wednesday. 102 and muggy AF Thursday and Friday. However, no projected triple digits after Friday. Solid rain chances 8/21-23. 

25 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Welp, got some good news and bad news in the latest forecasts.

DFW: 107 tomorrow, but 2 "nice' days on tap Tuesday and Wednesday with highs only in the mid-90's. Brutality resumes Thursday-Sunday. Slight improvement the week after, with highs ~102 or less. No sign of any rain at all though.

Austin: 106 tomorrow, but 2 better days Tuesday and Wednesday, though not quite as significant temp dropoff as DFW. ~105 again Thursday and Friday, before highs start edging down a few ticks Saturday and Sunday. Small but noticeable rain chances Monday-Wednesday. Highs 102 or less the week after next. 

Houston: 103 and muggy AF tomorrow. Highs still ~100 but significantly less humidity Tuesday and Wednesday. 102 and muggy AF Thursday and Friday. However, no projected triple digits after Friday. Solid rain chances 8/21-23. 

Where's the good news for Austin?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hornian said:

Where's the good news for Austin?

Highs expected to go from 105-107 to 102 or less starting this coming Sunday. Friday quite possibly will be Austin's final day above 104 this year, a level that was breached 20+ times already this Summer. 

Also, there will be small windows of pleasant weather from Tuesday morning through Wednesday evening. Enjoy a littler outdoor time if given the opportunity.

It's not much, but it's something.

• Hook 'Em 2

No, I think you're thinking of one county over, Eatabagofshityousuckport.

A new family to our school just arrived.  They were surprised to learn how early we start school and how hot it'd be.  Asked about the biking to school situation and mentioned their electronic cars.  I'm sure he said something about being vegan or crossfit but I had already tuned him out.  I told him the best bike path to get to the elementary and middle schools but warned him about the heat even at that hour.  He asked if he could shower to cool off at the school before he continues on to his nearby office.  So I'm torn on whether I should report him or if that his weird way of telling me he's a sex offender within 1000 yards of me.  I figure he'll be dead from heatstroke by this time next week so it'll sort itself out.  His wife seems cool.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-moving-to-stage-2-drought-restrictions-next-week-watering-times-shortened-by-3-hours/
 The City of Austin said it would move to Stage 2 of its Drought Contingency Plan next week, as water levels on Lake Travis and Lake Buchanan continue to drop.
A press release from the city said the combined storage level in the lakes is projected to drop below 900,000 acre-feet within the next few days.
Interim City Manager Jesus Garza ordered the move to Stage 2 effective Tuesday, Aug. 15.
Here are the changes to watering restrictions under Stage 2:
  • Automatic irrigation and hose-end watering are restricted to once per week, based on address.
  • Automatic irrigation can only be run before 5 a.m. or after 7 p.m. That’s a three-hour reduction from Stage 1 restrictions, which allowed watering before 8 a.m.
  • Wasting water is prohibited.
  • Restaurants can only serve water when requested by the customer.
  • Charity car washes are prohibited. Car washing at home must use a bucket or hose with an automatic shut-off valve.
  • Commercial properties, like bars and restaurants, can only use patio misters between 4 p.m. and midnight.
  • Large ornamental fountains can no longer be operated.
  • Irrigation for the establishment of new landscaping is no longer exempt from the watering schedule.
Austin Water customers are only allowed to use hose-end sprinklers or automatic irrigation once per week, based on their address. Automatic irrigation is allowed before 5 a.m. or after 7 p.m., while hose-end sprinklers are allowed before 10 a.m. or after 7 p.m.

Just now turning on these drought restrictions. Delinquency.

When we moved to Portland in 99 there was a drought. Couldn’t water the yard because of drought, but couldn’t wash the car because it was fucking raining.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Drove past a high school last week. They were watering the big grassy area out front where they don't do shit. Teacher friends call it the future portable compound. 

If you are not protecting foundation or growing food and keeping trees barely alive, no reason to be watering. Took all my pond fish up to my FIL's house where he has a pond with solar filters. 

Fun times. Still had a good swim in the river today. Now I am off to an outdoor art show. Will have cold beer. 

Hopped in the pool earlier this evening for a swim once the sun got low enough to be blocked by the fence. Decent, somewhat drier-than-usual breeze was blowing and it actually felt pretty nice outside despite the fact that it was still an ambient temp around 98 or so. 

Spent yesterday doing some work out at my hunting lease up near Rayburn and it was hot as shit. Hit 106 at the hottest point of the afternoon, but the lower humidity compared to Houston was instantly noticeable and made it far less oppressive. As soon as the sun went down, it was genuinely pleasant last night. Mid 70's and a steady breeze. 

Edited by Storm the Field

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Just now turning on these drought restrictions. Delinquency.

When we moved to Portland in 99 there was a drought. Couldn’t water the yard because of drought, but couldn’t wash the car because it was fucking raining.

Pretty ridiculous they are just now doing this shit. In Comal County, we’ve only been able to water once every 2 weeks for over a year now.

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I just walked out to grab something from my truck. Holy shit, evidently you need shoes at 10pm. Concrete is still well over 110. Fun times.

These assholes walking their dogs in the late afternoon deserve life. 

Agree about the dogs. Spent a bit of time getting water for pooches tonight at that art event. People are dumb. 

Concerning my feet, I rarely wear shoes and spend a lot of time walking in hot temps. Move fast. And maybe less concrete. I am sure we have someone on here who can tell us it holds heat. But no match. 

From KXAN

Afternoon highs will climb to the upper 90s and low 100s areawide today. Austin’s forecast high of 106° will mark our 36th consecutive day of triple digits and our 54th for the year.

A subtle shift in the high pressure system above will allow a weak “cold” front to slide in late day. Although we expect a negligible difference in temperatures, this boundary will help spark a few isolated, late-day storms and bring a drop in humidity behind it.