Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:
I really hope tuesday in houston isnt below 100. If its not, our streak would likely hit 30 days in a row over 100, when the previous record was 9. Like, how the fuck can a climate change denier even function at this point?

Concrete. Ballgame!

It's cyclical!

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

That seems like a rather extreme outlier. Other sites are showing a high of 104-106 next Friday for Austin and have this weekend hotter than next.

The forecast always has the current weekend hotter than the next.  Then you get to Monday and next weekend is hotter than the one that just ended.  I figure by September 30 we’ll see 130F for the weekend forecast.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Blastfurnace 2022 thread was 1426 posts.  This is closing in on 2800 and probably goes over 3K with ease.

Blast furnace 2022 started off like a mother fucker in late April / May.  By some kind of miracle things improved in August. This year started slightly later, but has been hotter and is going to continue until November at this rate.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's cyclical!

God we had this discussion last week on our work teams chat. DBA lives in the DR and said he felt sorry for us and it’s the hottest he’s ever seen in Texas. Mfing Sr. director quickly replied false 1930s were hotter and it’s just part of earth cycle, then I made a joke about earth having a period and he was not amused with that kind of talk on a work call.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Blast furnace 2022 started off like a mother fucker in late April / May.  By some kind of miracle things improved in August. This year started slightly later, but has been hotter and is going to continue until November at this rate.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/houston/year-2022#may

It got hotter than usual  the first weekend in May and stayed that way for a few weeks. Late May and early June were average. Blastfurance really kicked into gear around the 2nd week of June, and then went into overdrive for a 30-day stretch from around 6/20 to 7/20, but we're talking mostly days around 99-101, not 105-107. 

Only hit triple digits 8x in July 2022, and never longer than 4 days in a row. Even at its worst, we'd catch a breather occasionally. The hottest 4-day stretch of the entire summer was 7/9-12 when it was 102, 104, 103, 101. We're going on like 5 straight weeks of that shit with more to come.

August 2022 was pretty average, hot and rainy. By this point, we were well over the hump and trending in the right direction. On this exact weekend last year it rained non-stop and never got above 92. The final 10 days of August averaged about 92/78 with lots of clouds. By 9/2 we got a legit cool front. 

It's the interminable, never-improving nature of Summer 2023 that takes the cake. Other parts of the country experience extreme heat waves, but they last 10 days or so, not 3 months. Like, currently there's extreme heat in Nebraska and Kansas. Wichita is hitting 109 today and will be roasting for most of next week, but by next weekend, they'll be back to 90/65. Denver is getting cooked at the moment, but will have highs of 85 or less within a week or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Mfing Sr. director quickly replied false 1930s were hotter and it’s just part of earth cycle,

He is demonstrably incorrect about it being hotter in the 1930s, but he isn't wrong about cycles of heat and cold - the not-nearly-this-hot heat of the 1920's was likely cyclical.

In general, virtually all of the hot and cold years over the last thousand years can be explained with the combination of the solar cycle and volcanic activity.  I say "generally" because this one can (pay attention closely here @Trey3216 ) cannot. We're actually near the bottom of a prolonged low irradiance period. Just wait until the sun wakes up over the next few decades.
image.thumb.png.feb209abba82b5a0310eac5ef2bb58e7.png

We do have a clue what is causing the warming though:
image.thumb.png.4ddbb1084b99b1d75d5f6332daa362fc.png

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/houston/year-2022#may

It got hotter than usual  the first weekend in May and stayed that way for a few weeks. Late May and early June were average. Blastfurance really kicked into gear around the 2nd week of June, and then went into overdrive for a 30-day stretch from around 6/20 to 7/20, but we're talking mostly days around 99-101, not 105-107. 

Only hit triple digits 8x in July 2022, and never longer than 4 days in a row. Even at its worst, we'd catch a breather occasionally. The hottest 4-day stretch of the entire summer was 7/9-12 when it was 102, 104, 103, 101. We're going on like 5 straight weeks of that shit with more to come.

August 2022 was pretty average, hot and rainy. By this point, we were well over the hump and trending in the right direction. On this exact weekend last year it rained non-stop and never got above 92. The final 10 days of August averaged about 92/78 with lots of clouds. By 9/2 we got a legit cool front. 

It's the interminable, never-improving nature of Summer 2023 that takes the cake. Other parts of the country experience extreme heat waves, but they last 10 days or so, not 3 months. Like, currently there's extreme heat in Nebraska and Kansas. Wichita is hitting 109 today and will be roasting for most of next week, but by next weekend, they'll be back to 90/65. Denver is getting cooked at the moment, but will have highs of 85 or less within a week or so.

toohot;dr

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

He is demonstrably incorrect about it being hotter in the 1930s, but he isn't wrong about cycles of heat and cold - the not-nearly-this-hot heat of the 1920's was likely cyclical.

In general, virtually all of the hot and cold years over the last thousand years can be explained with the combination of the solar cycle and volcanic activity.  I say "generally" because this one can (pay attention closely here @Trey3216 ) cannot. We're actually near the bottom of a prolonged low irradiance period. Just wait until the sun wakes up over the next few decades.

Thank you for being smarter than me and doing this.  Locked and loaded for his ass next time

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sunspots are areas that are cooler than the rest of the sun.  If there are fewer sunspots, then the sun is hotter.

Sunspots:  One interesting aspect of the Sun is its sunspots.  Sunspots are areas where the magnetic field is about 2,500 times stronger than Earth's, much higher than anywhere else on the Sun.  Because of the strong magnetic field, the magnetic pressure increases while the surrounding atmospheric pressure decreases.  This in turn lowers the temperature relative to its surroundings because the concentrated magnetic field inhibits the flow of hot, new gas from the Sun's interior to the surface. 

One other interesting aspect of our Sun's sunspots are they are named after the star on which they occur.  A second being that they are mostly benign and are not spots that will cause melanoma despite their source proximity.  

However, our home star fucking hates us and we are all going to die very shortly.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

One other interesting aspect of our Sun's sunspots are they are named after the star on which they occur.  A second being that they are mostly benign and are not spots that will cause melanoma despite their source proximity.  

However, our home star fucking hates us and we are all going to die very shortly.  

What a boring name too!  "The Sun".  Meanwhile, we've got Betelgeuse over here just being all cool and also Sirius, Alioth, Castor...how'd we get shafted with "The Sun"?

Shit, a big fire in Gatesville, out by Hard Bargain, and some are evacuating

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/08/19/fire-crews-battling-large-wildfire-gatesville/

The Gatesville Fire Department and other counties are battling a large wildfire in Gatesville. The Coryell County Sheriff’s Office says the fire is burning near Hard Bargain along Country Road 147 and 145. 

Country Road 147 is closed due to the fire, according to CCSO.  The sheriff’s office says they’re assisting people in the area evacuate.

62YBAHLV6ZGIRCQ5462GRUCLBI.jpg

Sunspots:  One interesting aspect of the Sun is its sunspots.  Sunspots are areas where the magnetic field is about 2,500 times stronger than Earth's, much higher than anywhere else on the Sun.  Because of the strong magnetic field, the magnetic pressure increases while the surrounding atmospheric pressure decreases.  This in turn lowers the temperature relative to its surroundings because the concentrated magnetic field inhibits the flow of hot, new gas from the Sun's interior to the surface. 

Yea all that’s fine. But TSI (which is what matters a bit more than the temperature of a sunspot in the context of the solar radiation energy the earth’s atmosphere is receiving and our conversation about how fucking hot it is) is at its highest at solar maximum which is also when sunspot activity is at its highest.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Elvis said:

Sunspots are areas that are cooler than the rest of the sun.  If there are fewer sunspots, then the sun is hotter.

I thought this was a joke but then this

11 hours ago, Elvis said:

From NWS:

Times of maximum sunspot activity are associated with a very slight increase in the energy output from the sun.  Ultraviolet radiation increases dramatically during high sunspot activity, which can have a large effect on the Earth's atmosphere.  The converse is true during minimum sunspot activity. 

Bout to enter the Thunderdome. Today looks like it will be the hottest day of the entire year in Houston, possibly hitting 107.

Slight relief early part of the week then 104+ every day from Thursday to Sunday. Week before Labor Day looking like ~101 every day but I'm sure that will be adjusted higher.

We live in hell. Literall hell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Alarm clock malfunction last week led me to jump out of bed, quickly shower and run to the office. One damn day last week I did not completely drench the flowerbeds, and when I came home at 6 PM half the garden was literally dead.  Four days later and gallons of water later - still dead.

I live in New Orleans where it rains all the damn time. Now I have to think about automatic sprinklers. Ridiculous! 

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Alarm clock malfunction last week led me to jump out of bed, quickly shower and run to the office. One damn day last week I did not completely drench the flowerbeds, and when I came home at 6 PM half the garden was literally dead.  Four days later and gallons of water later - still dead.

I live in New Orleans where it rains all the damn time. Now I have to think about automatic sprinklers. Ridiculous! 

Or plant cacti and other native drought and heat hardy plants and don’t waste water, time and money  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

One of my favorite parts of New Orleans is all the fields of cacti on the drive-in over the Atchafalaya.  Truly breath taking.  

Especially when a flock of Norwegian Blues arise from the cacti in seeming formation, framed by the Spanish moss hanging from the Sequoias.   Breathtaking!