Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

10 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Houston is the last major city in Texas without any rain for the entire summer. Really hoping that ends tomorrow but not holding my breath.

About a week ago we had rain forecast for part of Sunday and then most of Monday and Tuesday. Then it reduced to just today and Tuesday but still all day. Then just today, but for the whole day. When I woke up this morning it was supposed to be raining by now per the forecast, but now it has changed to just 3 hours of chances starting at noon. 

So no rain for Texas?  It's flooding in the Nevada deserts.  And the Dakotas are on a tornado watch in September for the first time in recorded history (they don't get them after mid-July, if ever).  And a we still have raging wildfires in a dozen states?  Cool, cool.  Happy "Start to Fall", I guess?  

Oh, and they're still searching for people in NW Florida after their once-in-a-150-year level hurricane in that part of the state.  And we should still be comfortably around 105* in Austin when we make the turn into mid-September next week? 

Great show, well done everyone.  Especially those of you on the floor.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So it’ll be below 80 in Houston?

That's what the model says, but 1) it's one model 2) it's way out and 3) that's likely because of rain, not cool, dry air.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

KXAN forecast last night specifically mentioned that models are showing the heat dome shifting SW in 8-10 days, MAYBE providing some mild relief.
I don’t believe it. It only gets worse.

I’d send this 56 degree air to you if I could.  Not for free, of course. 

We've had some reprieves from the furnace with a few daily highs in the 80s this summer.

Today is not that day.

If wind during cold is "windchill," is wind during extreme heat "volcanic glow?"

High today of 100.  Winds of 25-30mph.

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

KXAN forecast last night specifically mentioned that models are showing the heat dome shifting SW in 8-10 days, MAYBE providing some mild relief.
I don’t believe it. It only gets worse.

Those same models have Sela Ward swinging by your house in the next 8-10 days for some action.

• Like 2

We had to go to the armpit of Texas (Wichita Falls) yesterday for the MIL's birthday. Had lunch around 3pm. As we drove in, the onboard thermometer started creeping up from 100 to 108. If there is a hell on earth, Wichita Falls in late summer might be it. Then we got home to realize we missed the first actual rain storm in DFW since June. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

We had to go to the armpit of Texas (Wichita Falls) yesterday for the MIL's birthday. Had lunch around 3pm. As we drove in, the onboard thermometer started creeping up from 100 to 108. If there is a hell on earth, Wichita Falls in late summer might be it. Then we got home to realize we missed the first actual rain storm in DFW since June. 

Makes me wonder how the hotter than hell 100 went this year

4 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We’ve actually got a pretty solid drizzle here in La Porte / seabrook with some wind. Feels pretty good

Eta - we’ve upgraded to a pretty heavy rain

Dog and I got caught in a downpour in the heights. Felt amazing 

My friends foundation shifted causing  thier picture window to do thus

IMG_20230904_115101.thumb.jpg.65e1e74075a8abdfa97fbe8a3b993f3a.jpg
I'm not a professional but I've seen two windows crack from foundations shifting and that's not what it looks like. Something hit that window right where the bulls eye is. A foundation shifting crack would impact the casing around the window first and would be more straight line hairline cracks.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I’ve had a project I’ve wanted to do for weeks (build a new 8 foot firewood rack for our terraced back patio). Got the lumber last week. It’s not super complicated - just a raised platform, legs that rest on cinderblock footings and then the other side clamps onto a stone ledge. In temperate weather, maybe a 2 hr project. I said fuck this shit, I’m doing it today. I’ll just take breaks.
I’m spite of the fact that I’ve had occasional cloud cover and a breeze making it close to tolerable here and there, it’s taken me over 3.5 hrs. I’m inside right now on hopefully my last break. Even my sweat has sweat. This shit sucks.

17 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:
My friends foundation shifted causing  thier picture window to do thus

IMG_20230904_115101.thumb.jpg.65e1e74075a8abdfa97fbe8a3b993f3a.jpg

I'm not a professional but I've seen two windows crack from foundations shifting and that's not what it looks like. Something hit that window right where the bulls eye is. A foundation shifting crack would impact the casing around the window first and would be more straight line hairline cracks.

Oh shit didn't even notice. It looks like someone hit it with a window breaker.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve had a project I’ve wanted to do for weeks (build a new 8 foot firewood rack for our terraced back patio). Got the lumber last week. It’s not super complicated - just a raised platform, legs that rest on cinderblock footings and then the other side clamps onto a stone ledge. In temperate weather, maybe a 2 hr project. I said fuck this shit, I’m doing it today. I’ll just take breaks.
I’m spite of the fact that I’ve had occasional cloud cover and a breeze making it close to tolerable here and there, it’s taken me over 3.5 hrs. I’m inside right now on hopefully my last break. Even my sweat has sweat. This shit sucks.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm  at the office working on 2022 corporate tax stuff...and I'm a concrete contractor.

My admin keeps forgetting to put batteries in the thermostat, so when I got here it was 85 on the office. There is enough juice on the batteries to manually set the temp, but it always defaults back to 85.

I spent the first hour here setting up a fan, reading Surly, and drinking beer from the office fridge. Just too hot to concentrate on tax stuff.

Just wrapping up now and business partner is heading over for a cold one. I should jack up the temperature and pretend I was toughing it out in the heat, but the empties might lessen the effect.

Did get a nice bike ride in this morning tho.

Worked yesterday too.

Not sure what you need a firewood rack for. It's never going to be cold again anyway. But you do you.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Models seem to be showing something around September 12 cooling us off and bringing a little rain.

I think that's 2023, might be 2024.

We've been over this many times.  The forecasts revert back to what is supposed to be "normal conditions" around 8-10 days out.  When you check the forecast every Sunday for weeks on end and always see 100+ for seveb days and then on day eight there is a forecast for rain and highs of 89, you know there is fuckery going on.

In other words, the September 12 cool off will move to September 19 this time next week.  Bank it.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We've been over this many times.  The forecasts revert back to what is supposed to be "normal conditions" around 8-10 days out.  When you check the forecast every Sunday for weeks on end and always see 100+ for seveb days and then on day eight there is a forecast for rain and highs of 89, you know there is fuckery going on.

In other words, the September 12 cool off will move to September 19 this time next week.  Bank it.

Brian Orakpo GIF by The Roku Channel

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

My grandmother resides in WF. Went to visit her for her 96th birthday early last month. Left town at 9pm. Phone showed 103°. 

I recall reading sometime ago that wf is the hottest city outside of the American sw. I'm sure one of the meteorology guys on board could provide an explanation.

Why would you need a firewood rack in Texas?

Yeah…perhaps you missed the memo: in the past 30 months, I’ve been broiled outside by a never-ending string of 105 degree days, and frozen out of my house for nearly a week on two separate occasions, including one where it was in the single digits for a good while.
Texas only has two settings: broil, and freeze.
This fucking state.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah…perhaps you missed the memo: in the past 30 months, I’ve been broiled outside by a never-ending string of 105 degree days, and frozen out of my house for nearly a week on two separate occasions, including one where it was in the single digits for a good while.
Texas only has two settings: broil, and freeze.
This fucking state.

at least our state leaders developed a comprehensive, long-term, and sustainable plan for how to have enough water for all these inevitable extremes.  

(checks notes)

shit

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

at least our state leaders developed a comprehensive, long-term, and sustainable plan for how to have enough water for all these inevitable extremes.  

(checks notes)

shit

Hey, let's invite more developers to build homes in the aquifer. Case in point. Kyle, with a lot of growth, is asking for water from San Marcos. We are at Stage 4, Canyon Lake is in bad shape, but they (last I saw) are still at stage 3. 

And we need more vineyards. 

2 hours ago, Kavinsky said:

My grandmother resides in WF. Went to visit her for her 96th birthday early last month. Left town at 9pm. Phone showed 103°. 

I recall reading sometime ago that wf is the hottest city outside of the American sw. I'm sure one of the meteorology guys on board could provide an explanation.

It's such a thoroughly depressing place. After we had lunch at a terrible chain restaurant, we drove to the "downtown" area so she could see the old Main Post Office that her dad worked at. It is so dead and depressing. Just a ghost town. There's about a 3 block radius of life but everything else is just abandoned. It reminded me of Amarillo's downtown where there's the dead zone not too far outside of it. I think the mesquite trees and red dirt are really what makes it so damn hot. Just no break in that miserable, desolate plain. All the rotting buildings and former oil refineries probably doesn't help. It's just a bleak place. Those mud falls don't make it any prettier.

I remember the minister who married us  gave me some great advice at one of the pre-marriage counseling sessions we had to do. He was her minister growing up and had moved to DFW.  He knew my wife really well. I got to the session about 20 minutes before her so we had plenty of time to chat about things. He told me to never take her back to Wichita Falls as there's nothing for her there outside of trips to see her parents and that it would be better if I just made her parents come to us. He said she had outgrown that place a long time ago and he could tell she was one of the lucky ones that was going to make it out of there and onto better things. All that was left in WF was depression for her. And boy, he's right. Whenever we go back there to visit her family, she's really down for the next few days. Almost like survivor's guilt. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1