Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

This is sure unfortunate, everyone likes dolphins.

Dolphins Die as Water in Amazon Lake Hits 102 Degrees (newser.com)

But I think the water temp is also a result of this. 

Did the Tonga eruption cause this year's extreme heat? | Live Science

10% of atmospheric water is a helluva lot of water vapor.

Tonga Eruption Blasted Unprecedented Amount of Water Into Stratosphere - NASA

Sometime a little after 6:00 this evening quite possibly will be the last time the temperature outside starts with a 9 at any point in the next 2 weeks in Houston. Rain clouds expected to start rolling in around lunchtime tomorrow. Doesn't look like we'll see the sun again until the end of the weekend.

DFW and Austin look to get 1 extra day of hot, muggy Summer weather tomorrow, but as a trade-off for us getting an extra day of rain, y'all get significantly more of a cooldown. Just looked at latest forecast and seeing 69/56 on Saturday in Austin, 73/55 in Dallas. That's stronger than I was expecting. Houston going to be 78/63. 

Can't wait for the usual knee-jerk reactions that always happen when a front is on its way but hasn't made it far enough south yet to be noticed. I'll be kind of upset if somebody isn't posting tomorrow morning that "it still feels like August outside, all that cold front talk was bullshit!"

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

It looks like Wednesday morning will still be a sauna, but by early evening...the big change will happen.  Will still touch 90* with heat index later this month but overall, it finally may be happening with precip to boot.  I may have even killed the last cockroach in my house or it could just be a Sooner Toe.  Hard to say.

Not stupid enough to complain about finally getting some steady rain in Houston, but Jesus Christ is it swampy today. Currently 83 with heat index of 95. You can scoop the air outside with a spoon.

~60 more hours of soupy conditions and then we finally get a taste of Autumn. 

Edited by Storm the Field

Just now, sidis said:

we were planning to but then northloop and snake diggity came in and totally fucked us.

Y'all know that we're gonna bury this thread, and then weeks later, it's gonna pop out of the ground all zombie-like when the high hits 99 on Thanksgiving day or some shit, right?

54 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Not stupid enough to complain about finally getting some steady rain in Houston, but Jesus Christ is it swampy today. Currently 83 with heat index of 95. You can scoop the air outside with a spoon.

~60 more hours of soupy conditions and then we finally get a taste of Autumn. 

Cosmo Kramer Seinfeld GIF

Though a 20 minute walk outside with the dog is a good way to sweat out some toxins. 

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Y'all know that we're gonna bury this thread, and then weeks later, it's gonna pop out of the ground all zombie-like when the high hits 99 on Thanksgiving day or some shit, right?

It's gonna be that cold?!

We made it boys. We fucking made it. Never has a summer impacted me that much. 

It caused stress, made me irritable, and seriously has me considering moving from the state I was born in.

It's now over.

Final band of storms making it's way out to sea over the next few hours, heralding the coming of the front over the next 24 hours. It's almost here fellas. 

DFW will get the first lick, as drier, cooler air should start filtering in around midnight tonight. Y'all will wake up to a gorgeous Fall morning tomorrow in the mid-60's.

Austin looks to spend most of tomorrow in the mid-80's, but should definitely start feeling a lot more comfortable after lunchtime with dewpoints dropping. Temp finally dips below 70 at roughly midnight Friday and should keep dropping until close to 60 around sunrise on Saturday. 

Houston naturally has the longest wait. Once these rains finally pass, will be mid-70's to low 80's and muggy until we finally drop below 70 around 4:00 am Saturday and then wake up to a windy Saturday morning in the high 60's as the front finally arrives and starts drying things out. 

20 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

74 outside in austin but with the humidity it feels so gross.

Was headed home for lunch and the serpentine belt on the truck snapped about 2 blocks from my house.  Fuck it if I'm gonna pay a tow truck (who might throw rocks at me) to tow my shit 2 blocks.  Me and a buddy pushed it uphill and turned it onto the street (which is also uphill).  Had to get a neighbor to help us the rest of the way up my street.  Had to take a fucking 20 minute sitdown break and a shower so I could Uber my ass back to the office.  What a fucking shit day.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

hence that word....

You said it feels "so gross" outside. Yes - you are bitching about the weather like an LA housewife.

You know what's gross? When it's 107 every day for 2 months and it hasn't rained in so long that people's foundations are cracking. 

Just now, ztejas said:

You said it feels "so gross" outside. Yes - you are bitching about the weather like an LA housewife.

You know what's gross? When it's 107 every day for 2 months and it hasn't rained in so long that people's foundations are cracking. 

whatever you say buddy.  we know who comes off as what on these threads.

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, no doubt.  I'm all for this weather.  77 degrees at 3:15 and I've had the window in my office open all day.  A/C has not kicked on a single time today... AND I turned off the irrigation system last night before the storms.  Love it !!!!

Pretty muggy, but I've never been so relieved to see a trail of mulch scattered from our wide yard down our walkup down the driveway.  Fuck it, I'm leaving it there until chorin' on Monday.  Kinda eerily calm out there right now, really looking forward to the temperature dropping off the edge of the table.  Kids are packing swim shirts for the outdoor portion of the water park and I think it's cute.  

Gotta say though, not liking that there's lots of 90+ days left in the forecast between now and week before Halloween.  Da fuh?  

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Wait, is the force filed fucking up that front over Austin. What the hell?

No. Still gonna be highs in 70's, lows in 50's Saturday and Sunday. Humidity will be way lower starting tomorrow evening. 

Just not gonna be very long-lasting, as is pretty common with these early Fall fronts. Texas is catching the western edge of it. Gonna be colder and stick around longer east of the Mississippi.

Almost time. 68 in H Town when I went to the gym this morning, but lots of moisture still in the air and it has warmed up quickly as the morning progresses. Gonna be warm and muggy until the drier air finally arrives late tonight. 

Heading up to my deer lease up near Rayburn tomorrow  to do some work setting up a new stand and feeder. Gonna be in the high 40's when I wake up out there on Sunday morning. That's a temperature I haven't experienced in probably 7 months. Can't wait. 

Looks like we'll get just maybe 3-4 days of cool weather out of this first front before high 80's and humidity return around the middle of next week. On the bright side, looks like a second, longer-lasting front is expected to roll in next weekend. Lot of really nice days on the forecast for 10/14-20.