Palo Alto Super Regional: Texas @ Stanford

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

However, in 1975, the band had performed a series of halftime shows that facetiously suggested several other new mascot candidates it considered particularly appropriate for Stanford, including the Steaming Manhole, the French Fry, and the Tree. The Tree ended up receiving so much positive attention that the band decided to make it a permanent fixture, and the Tree came to be embraced by the Stanford community at large.

This is greatness.

Edited by Horn80

Well hell, I heard that the Stanford Cardinal was referring to a man of the cloth.  If you hang around here long enough there's no telling what you might learn.  Doesn't really matter what they or anyone identifies 'em as.  After Sunday, they'll be called losers. 

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Well hell, I heard that the Stanford Cardinal was referring to a man of the cloth.  If you hang around here long enough there's no telling what you might learn.  Doesn't really matter what they or anyone identifies 'em as.  After Sunday, they'll be called losers. 

They're already Losers, but after Sunday even more so.  Lulz.

14 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Ok, so as long as we don't send a team of 12 year old boys to play this series we should be in good shape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Cardinal is the color.  Basically Stanford Cardinal Red.   The Tree is technically the mascot of the band.   When we lost the Indian mascot there was some vote and Robber Barons was allegedly the new favorite.  When I got there the joke was that most students wanted the new mascot to be Steaming Manhole Covers.  (Based on steaming manhole covers around campus).   But nobody really gives a shit and I haven't bothered to look any of this up   Band members now and again dress up as Catholic Cardinals. 

I've always liked the color, and I've always liked the S with the tree on it, and I think our football and baseball uniforms are generally pretty cool.  Although I've always wished they tried to do some play on the St. Louis Cardinal-on-the-bat logo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh I see someone already explained it all up above.  There was still talk of the Griffins when I got there.  Or Griffons.  No one really knew what that was about.  And I remember "Steaming Manhole Covers", not "Steaming Manholes" -- although the latter would have been a much stronger statement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

There is unrest in the forest

Trouble with the trees

Sorry for the thread derail.  I tried, but I couldn't ignore the Rush reference without posting the video!  Neil Peart was a brilliant writer.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Sorry for the thread derail.  I tried, but I couldn't ignore the Rush reference without posting the video!  Neil Peart was a brilliant writer.

never thought about it much but I hear a lot of Yes in this song particularly Chris Squire’s bass.

8 minutes ago, El Squared said:

never thought about it much but I hear a lot of Yes in this song particularly Chris Squire’s bass.

Well, Geddy Lee played bass for Yes when Chris Squire was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll HOF.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This thread is fucking terrible. What does any of this have to do with why we're going to kick whoever the fuck's ass this weekend. 

Everyone once in a while we take breaks from from kicking whomever’s ass and simply reflect…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

This thread is fucking terrible. What does any of this have to do with why we're going to kick whoever the fuck's ass this weekend. 

we are going to shove the Stanford Steaming Manholes shit in this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

That guy got a nightmare regional draw with Texas. Could've advanced out of a bunch of the other regionals. And now he lost his job over it. Brutal

Don't know much about him or their situation, but from what I just read it sounds like there were a lot of politics in play when DiMare got the job 5 years ago. Also never made it out of a regional in any of their 4 trips to the tournament. 

The dude did get a contract extension last August though which is weird.

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don't know much about him or their situation, but from what I just read it sounds like there were a lot of politics in play when DiMare got the job 5 years ago. Also never made it out of a regional in any of their 4 trips to the tournament. 

It seems really dumb that 4 regional appearances in 5 years is viewed as a failure.... 

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently no one liked him but his name protected him. DiMares are big donors to UM and his dad was a trustee and he died last year. Great recruiter, poor developer. Sounds like his dad wasn’t around to throw money at UM to turn a blind eye to his son’s inability to get out of a regional. 

17 minutes ago, petscii said:

It seems really dumb that 4 regional appearances in 5 years is viewed as a failure.... 

Miami is probably a borderline top 10-15 job in college baseball. They should be making it out of regionals pretty regularly in my mind.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Miami is probably a borderline top 10-15 job in college baseball. They should be making it out of regionals pretty regularly in my mind.

Seems like it would be fairly low pressure, judging by their lack of fan support. 

Like Texas, the standard at Miami is Omaha.    Historical program been on the downside for awhile. (4 NC's).   Passionate baseball alumni.

DiMare made questionable pitching decisions in the Regional likely to our benefit.   Elected to pitch Ziehl (most proven at the time) vs Maine and Ligon (injury,  thrown 2 innings since April) vs us.   Miami had struggled finding a 3rd starter all season and Ligon's injury presented further complications.   But LSU's Johnson threw Skenes vs Tulane so who am I to say.

Reading the background,  Miami's AD (Radakovich) came from Clemson in '21.   He may have given DiMare an extension in '22 mainly for recruiting purposes.    And after Regional failures post Covid,  had to make a move.      Miami has $$$.   Will be interesting to see if they offer to long time asst JD Arteaga or go outside the family.  Seems  Cliff Godwin,  East Carolina,  would deserve an interview though he is coaching his alma mater.

9 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

On 6/7/2023 at 11:48 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Well, Geddy Lee played bass for Yes when Chris Squire was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll HOF.

Brings me back to sitting around in Jester , getting stoned, ordering a thundercloud sub and listing to the entire 3 album Yessongs while staring at Roger Deans album artwork….

• Hook 'Em 1