I-95 in Philly road collapsed due to tanker truck fire, its gonna be a while to fix

AUS-97HORN

This is gonna be a mess and just like that ATL bridge collapse that happened 6 years ago

Tumar Alexander, managing director for the City of Philadelphia, said the incident will “be a significant impact to this community for a while.”

“95 will be impacted for a long time,” Alexander said during the news conference.

The fire is under investigation by the fire marshal and other partners, Bowmer added during the news conference.

The Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management urged travelers to avoid the area and seek alternate routes in a Sunday morning tweet.

Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro has been briefed on the collapse, according to a Twitter thread Sunday.

“I was just briefed by @PEMAHQ, @PennDOTNews, and @PAStatePolice on the I-95 fire and collapse in Philadelphia. State Police and PEMA are on the scene assisting local first responders and @PennDOTSec and his team are en route to assess the situation and address traffic needs,” said the governor on his verified Twitter account.

“@LTGDavis and I are closely coordinating with partners in Philadelphia, New Jersey, and the federal government and we will share more information as we have it. For now, please avoid the area and follow the direction of the first responders on the scene.”

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said the US Department of Transportation is offering assistance to Pennsylvania after the collapse.

“Closely monitoring the fire and collapse on I-95 in Pennsylvania,” Buttigieg wrote on Twitter. “I’ve been in touch with FHWA and spoke with Gov. Shapiro to offer any assistance that USDOT can provide to help with recovery and reconstruction.”

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is a real fucking problem. The level of commerce that 95 handles between DC and NYC is enormous. We need to get this fixed quickly.

having worked with Philly unions, ain’t shit getting fixed any time soon. I went up there for a 7 to 10 day job. Ended up spending 2 months in Delaware. Lovely state 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

I-95 has already been re-opened. Took just 12 days to restore to useable condition. Surly's beloved Gritty was one of the first passengers to cross this morning.

FzUZkw2aAAIthcP?format=png&name=900x900

I've long said that the one major area where the US is not a first-world country is the glacial pace at which we build vital infrastructure. The I-95 repair demonstrates once and for all that it's not impossible to get these things done quickly, but rather that we've designed a system that fosters delays and cost overruns. 

State/county/municipal construction projects have got to be one of the last bastions of institutionalized corruption in America. There seems to be no incentive to get roads built in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe. On the contrary, it's likely more lucrative for the companies that land these gigs to stretch out projects for as long as possible. 

CR sidenote: PA Gov. Josh Shapiro gonna get a lot of calls to run for POTUS in either '28 or '32. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I-95 has already been re-opened. Took just 12 days to restore to useable condition. Surly's beloved Gritty was one of the first passengers to cross this morning.

I've long said that the one major area where the US is not a first-world country is the glacial pace at which we build vital infrastructure. The I-95 repair demonstrates once and for all that it's not impossible to get these things done quickly, but rather that we've designed a system that fosters delays and cost overruns. 

State/county/municipal construction projects have got to be one of the last bastions of institutionalized corruption in America. There seems to be no incentive to get roads built in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe. On the contrary, it's likely more lucrative for the companies that land these gigs to stretch out projects for as long as possible. 

CR sidenote: PA Gov. Josh Shapiro gonna get a lot of calls to run for POTUS in either '28 or '32. 

With the right incentive and high budgets, infrastructure can be quickly built.  Instead of having 25 projects ongoing across a metro area, have 1 at a time. Perhaps the entire 25 project timeframe will take the same overall duration but each project will have a shorter time duration itself. This causes less disruption and makes everyone feel better when their route is completed with weeks/months.

My commute to work has a construction project that is expected to be done in '27. I try not to think of that fact.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With the right incentive and high budgets, infrastructure can be quickly built.  Instead of having 25 projects ongoing across a metro area, have 1 at a time. Perhaps the entire 25 project timeframe will take the same overall duration but each project will have a shorter time duration itself. This causes less disruption and makes everyone feel better when their route is completed with weeks/months.

My commute to work has a construction project that is expected to be done in '27. I try not to think of that fact.

the proposed I45 rebuild in houston has an 18 year timeline. 18 fucking years 

also,  video ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Where's Santa Claus?

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

I-95 has already been re-opened. Took just 12 days to restore to useable condition.

It was a small section that collapsed, so easy to fix. Not sure they're 100% correct about the usable condition. Concrete is finicky. Even if they had the prestressed beams just laying around, you still have to pour new deck (a/k/a road).