Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah I have no idea why people think they’re still alive. They were dead probably seconds after contact was lost.

I mean there’s a interview above with a guy that was on a trip before and they lost contact for 2.5 hours and since they are guided by the surface communication they had no clue where they were on the ocean floor.  They could easily just not have contact and their damn PlayStation controller broke and just be sitting on the bottom of the ocean.  

Edited by Hook1997

Heard an interview on NPR with a CBS journalist who actually rode in the submersible last year with the plan to go down to the Titanic. Unsurprisingly, the trip was cut short after a mechanical issue a few hundred feet down. A couple of high points:
- He said before you go down you basically sign away your life. No chance that the victims or their families are compensated. And even if they were supposed to, with what assets? I imagine OceanGate’s IP and goodwill are not trading very high right now.
- The vessel apparently has seven different systems that are meant to return it to the surface even after a total loss of power or control from inside. One of them is sandbags that are attached by something that dissolves after a certain amount of time under water. So this guy speculated that the ship may have returned to surface and they’re being tossed around in 6 ft seas. Also, the vessel is white and the ocean is full of white caps in that area. Zero chance they’re spotted from the air. 
- The hatch is sealed with 18 bolts from the outside. Yeah…

Yea I dunno if the families of morons need any kind of compensation for this one.

Especially when a couple of billionaires are involved
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

The vessel apparently has seven different systems that are meant to return it to the surface even after a total loss of power or control from inside. One of them is sandbags that are attached by something that dissolves after a certain amount of time under water. So this guy speculated that the ship may have returned to surface and they’re being tossed around in 6 ft seas. Also, the vessel is white and the ocean is full of white caps in that area. Zero chance they’re spotted from the air. 

team-america-world-police-movie-review-g

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

So maybe not dead yet? Or they at least didn’t implode? 

A CANADIAN AIRCRAFT searching for the missing Titan submersible, which failed to return Sunday from an expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic, detected “banging” in 30-minute intervals coming from the area the divers disappeared, according to internal e-mail updates sent to Department of Homeland Security leadership and obtained by Rolling Stone. 

“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the DHS e-mails read. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.” The announcement did not state what time the banging was heard, or what was thought to have caused it.

The announcement also stated that “the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre is working to find an underwater remote-operated vehicle through partner organizations to possibly assist.” Previous reports on the search for the missing submersible have stated that the Navy’s manned rescue craft can only descend about 2,000 feet underwater, and that if the divers were discovered closer to the approximate 13,000 foot depth of the Titanic wreckage, an underwater drone, or remote-operated vehicle, would be necessary to reach them.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

If you are an adult male posting on this thread, I’m almost certain you have done at least one thing in your life that you are incredibly lucky to have lived through, or at least come through with all your limbs and spinal cord intact

There but for the grace of Poseidon go I?

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

A CANADIAN AIRCRAFT searching for the missing Titan submersible, which failed to return Sunday from an expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic, detected “banging” in 30-minute intervals coming from the area the divers disappeared, according to internal e-mail updates sent to Department of Homeland Security leadership and obtained by Rolling Stone. 

“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the DHS e-mails read. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.” The announcement did not state what time the banging was heard, or what was thought to have caused it.

The announcement also stated that “the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre is working to find an underwater remote-operated vehicle through partner organizations to possibly assist.” Previous reports on the search for the missing submersible have stated that the Navy’s manned rescue craft can only descend about 2,000 feet underwater, and that if the divers were discovered closer to the approximate 13,000 foot depth of the Titanic wreckage, an underwater drone, or remote-operated vehicle, would be necessary to reach them.

So now what?  Since they can’t got get them, do they just wait until the banging stops Thursday to confirm it was them?

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Edited by Gatorubet
found the right link
  • Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

You're forgetting a big one. If Kobe's helicopter pilot hadn't flown in those overcast foggy conditions, @NowThis would still be posting here.

It was only a matter of time before NowThis exposed himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

So now what?  Since they can’t got get them, do they just wait until the banging stops Thursday to confirm it was them?

The banging already stopped:

A DHS official told Rolling Stone, that as of 5 hours ago the Titan still had 40 hours of oxygen left and stated that the “situation looks bleak,” adding that they believe the banging was coming from the craft, but that haven’t heard any noise since yesterday.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Nightmare fuel if they actually survived long enough to sink to the bottom. They most likely froze to death before they ran out of oxygen.

Freezing to death or running out of oxygen aren't the worst ways to go.

• Hook 'Em 4

I know I shouldn’t be surprised by human stupidity at this point, but Hamish Harding surprises me a little bit. I only know what I read on his wiki, but he has previously been on a sub that went to the Challenger Deep. You would think he would have enough experience to recognize the red flags here, but maybe that experience just made him cocky and careless?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Horn Dogg said:

I just thought of another hypothetical question.  If they somehow make it to the surface alive and you’re the guy with the wrench.  How much do you charge the 2 billionaires inside for you to remove the 17 bolts holding them inside the shit can?

Try Me Youtube GIF by FN Films

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I just thought of another hypothetical question.  If they somehow make it to the surface alive and you’re the guy with the wrench.  How much do you charge the 2 billionaires inside for you to remove the 17 bolts holding them inside the shit can?

I'd give them the first 16 for free 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Every 30mins eh?

you-only-live-twice-kissy-suzuki-mie-ham

• Haha 4