Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know what buffet’s best song is, but I’m 100% sure his two best songs are son of a son of a sailor and a pirate looks at 40. 

JJWs voice on night rider’s lament just gets me. And gettin’ by is a great little song with one of the better lyrics ever written- Income tax overdue…

Night rider’s lament is so good, I like northeast Texas women and Mississippi on my mind a lot too. 

There are about 10 songs of buffett’s that are just out of this world. Those are two but Tin cup chalice will give both of those a hard run for their money. Down at the la de dah is a fun song too. Come Monday and Havana day dreamin do me right. But pirate looks at 40 and son of a son are surely at the top. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Hate said:

*through

The first real bro country song I recall was that “talk too much” song by Toby Keith. I was essentially a country rap song. It’s been all downhill since. FGL really took it to the next level with that stupid “roll” song. And now here we are with that god fucking awful Applebee’s song. It’s all just fucking awful!

I present one Big & Rich

https://youtu.be/HflDc7PUT2g

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

like northeast Texas women

Sorry, that’s a willis Alan Ramsey song to me. Heard him sing it once at the armadillo Christmas bazaar too. 

he wrote spider John too but I wonder how many know that from the jimmy buffet version.  

one album, in 1972, and it had both of those plus muskrat love (also his) and it is required listening. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

don’t know what buffet’s best song is, but I’m 100% sure his two best songs are son of a son of a sailor and a pirate looks at 40. 

He Went to Paris is one the best/saddest songs ever.

I would say Buffets best stuff is lesser known, the Hot Water album. Prince of Tides, Great Heart and That's What Living is to Me are probably his strongest work.

Son of a Sailor is pretty amazing aesthetically though, it evokes morning on the water amazingly well in the intro.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I would say Buffets best stuff is lesser known, the Hot Water album. Prince of Tides, Great Heart and That's What Living is to Me are probably his strongest work.

Son of a Sailor is pretty amazing aesthetically though, it evokes morning on the water amazingly well in the intro.

Overplayed almost to death but Margaritaville is just a great song when you step back and revisit it, until someone plays it in public and asshats start yelling out about the salt. Love a lot of his studio work, but can’t stand to hear him live. Talks way too much and Parrotheads turning every song into some call and response absolutely sucks.

I’m hot or cold on Tyler Childers but Brokeback Miner’s Daughter there was a great video. Outstanding work by whoever made it! If more people knew who he was TC could catch some shit over it.
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Jesu Christo.  I had tried to forget about that masterpiece of shit.

I don't know if it was the first bro-country song, or if it was a dead-end branch on the tree of evolution of shitty country music?  Maybe it's the "here's a country song trying to use hip urban/rap-like lingo" branch.  It's a short one...but everything on it is awful.

Trace’s wife shot him in the heart after she decided he drank too much. I don’t place him in the same category as these other dudes. 

42 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Trace’s wife shot him in the heart after she decided he drank too much. I don’t place him in the same category as these other dudes. 

Plus Chrome was a pretty fucking funny song

2 hours ago, G650 said:

I almost said he went to Paris belongs at the top as well but left it out. I found that song years after making his music a must listen on dusk boat rides back to the marina.

@Pato del Muerto didn’t realize JJW covered northeast Texas women. Btw I like Todd Snider’s version of sangria wine and little bird quite a bit more, though I enjoy JJWs takes as well. 

6 hours ago, Burt said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to hear about this.  But first, let me get ready.

Ok....now go!

Back in the early 90s, we went to the rodeo.  Clint Black played.  It was a pretty good show.  My companion was this cute gal who I later married.

And I bet I rooted for the Burger King wagon in the Chuckwagon races, because that's the wagon I rooted for when I was a kid.

10 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

I present one Big & Rich

https://youtu.be/HflDc7PUT2g

Tough one. Rich is a Longhorn fan and seems to have decent talent and be a decent guy.  Big looks and sings like an idiot.  Couldn't stand him.  But, just like his surname, I guess Rich wanted to be rich and actually likes the guy.  

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know what buffet’s best song is, but I’m 100% sure his two best songs are son of a son of a sailor and a pirate looks at 40. 

Potential shitty music take: I could listen to Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season on loop.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, troph said:

god I've listened to so much bad fucking terrible "country" music on this thread, jesus christo.

buffett's version about a boat... much better.

and now JB would tell you that he's a shitty songwriter. and he's sort of right. but that other yahoo has no idea what a farmer's truck is really like but JB knows boat life, he writes from shit he knows. so while he's not a great song writer he's much, much, much better than these shitheads.

Discussion of Jerry Jeff Walker up thread a bit..he has a version of Something About a Boat, outstanding.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Childers already did a BLM song and so you’d think anyone left to be offended would have tuned out. Of course those folks are probably too dumb to have understood the lyrical content anyways - good on him for including pictures this time.

I mean, he put a video out explicitly explaining his perspective on the song. So if they still don't get it, they deserve to be surprised by the new video.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Tough one. Rich is a Longhorn fan and seems to have decent talent and be a decent guy.  Big looks and sings like an idiot.  Couldn't stand him.  But, just like his surname, I guess Rich wanted to be rich and actually likes the guy.  

Rich may be a Hornfan but Cowboy Troy  is a TexasEx, he was on campus same time as me.  He is the fella that adds a hip hop element to several of their songs, heck of a nice guy.  Back when Jdhorn92 was making the regular Dallas country bar scene  (Borrowed Money, Cowboys, D&D, Top Rail etc..)  in the 90's, he and I always talked Texas football.  Great guy, he hung out with our crew periodically, he was always welcome.   At the time, he was an aspiring singer....guess he found his niche. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yeah this is basically exactly opposite of reality. John Rich is a mega cunt and but Big Kenny is a legit good dude.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, troph said:

Night rider’s lament is so good, I like northeast Texas women and Mississippi on my mind a lot too. 

Night Rider's Lament, such a great song!  Gets me dusty everytime. As i remember it:

"....he tells me last night I run on to Jenny....he tells me you sure missed the track when you never come back...shes the perfect professional's wife.. she asks me why just he ride for his money, why does he rope for short pay..he must have gone crazy out there.."

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Indeed. Granted I don’t have the calendar memorized. Also, don’t take my. Moment to mean I won’t enjoy a golf oompah or big band night when my kid isn’t 6. 

I hear ya.  Played there many times back in the day.  Nice hall.  

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Rich may be a Hornfan but Cowboy Troy  is a TexasEx, he was on campus same time as me.  He is the fella that adds a hip hop element to several of their songs, heck of a nice guy.  Back when Jdhorn92 was making the regular Dallas country bar scene  (Borrowed Money, Cowboys, D&D, Top Rail etc..)  in the 90's, he and I always talked Texas football.  Great guy, he hung out with our crew periodically, he was always welcome.   At the time, he was an aspiring singer....guess he found his niche. 

I think Troy hung out with those guys right. 

A family friend is Jimmy Buffett's drummer.  He's grateful for the gig, but I get the feeling he sorta feels captive, in a golden-handcuff kind of way.  He's released a couple of vanity albums of his own, and they're good enough, but nothing will ever pay the bills the way that parrot gig does.

I saw Jimmy in 1986 at the old Starplex in Dallas.  Back then, they let you bring in anything you wanted and it was a massive drunkfest, couldn't figure out how I got so drunk eating strangers' watermelon slices.  I ran into the RA of the girls' side of my freshman dorm and she wanted me, but I was way too hammered to figure it out.  Then I saw him at The Gorge in central Washington in 1992, a week before my wedding.  I somehow broke my big toe and ripped the toenail completely off.  I couldn't get a shoe on that foot until my wedding day.  

We took our daughter when he was at CoTA a few years back and that concert honestly sucked, because he had gone full-blown lounge act.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Ben Tobin said:

Y’all still talking about that tick from the video? That goober from Macon may not have known but any and everybody from Middle TN that worked on that video knew. That courthouse is like 40 minutes from Pulaski, for fuck’s sake

I refuse to believe in coincidences or that someone from his team wouldn’t have figured it out.   Same with the newspaper stuff 

38 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I saw Jimmy in 1986 at the old Starplex in Dallas.  Back then, they let you bring in anything you wanted and it was a massive drunkfest, couldn't figure out how I got so drunk eating strangers' watermelon slices.  I ran into the RA of the girls' side of my freshman dorm and she wanted me, but I was way too hammered to figure it out. 

Saw him at Southern Star in Houston in 1988, I think.  Went in there with a canteen full of tequila, and drank most of it.  Shared the rest.  During the concert, a mother and daughter watching the show next to us were passing me back and forth.  Teenage Brisket was happy to be along for the ride.  Yet, he was also too drunk to close the deal as the concert ended.  Idiot.

I worked for Brown Distributing (Budweiser dist) while in school.

We worked the Buffett show at Southpark Meadows mid 90's

Those fuckers set a record with the amount of kegs we had to run and switch out.

Fucking Parrotheads.

I always thought I Don't Know (Spicoli's theme song) from Fast Times was funny.  It's a Buffett song. 😆

Edited by Tylerocks
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I forgot they used to let you BYOB! My first buffet concert was astroworld, a dude stands up on the lawn with a liter of everclear and waves it around. An hour later EMS carries him out on a stretcher.

Way back in the day I made the punch for parties in college.  No drugs were involved.  The first thing I told my sister when she got to UT, don’t ever drink the punch.

Way back in the day I made the punch for parties in college.  No drugs were involved.  The first thing I told my sister when she got to UT, don’t ever drink the punch.

Ah the old panty dropping punch. Grape koolaide. Sugar. And Diesel. Look for the pledge with the purple arm. That’s how it got stirred up.

84ec1512128c83210bb6eea425dd6f55.jpg

On 7/25/2023 at 6:04 PM, Brisketexan said:

The courthouse.  And the fact that there's a famous photo of a lynching taken from the EXACT perspective as his video performance.

The lyrics themselves, and every dog whistle therein.

And, to top it off....the video actually used images from a 1956 Mississippi newspaper exchange regarding Jim fucking Crow, and the White Citizens Council response to the publisher's criticism of same.  Not exactly a random-ass newspaper clipping about a random-ass small town.

Come the fuck on.  Arguing that the video doesn't have a pretty clear racist message is disingenuous bullshit.  But then, disingenuous bullshit is how the dogwhistle racist crowd runs these days: racists, but to huge a bunch of pussies to fucking own it.

Well the easter egg about PD East was a late arrival to the controversy.  Someone clearly knew what they were doing, but was it Aldean?

A sentient person with two brain cells might surmise that filming in any southern town's square in front of the courthouse is a likely lynching location.  Hell, this is one:

th?id=OIP.8LCbJ_6nPXQKx5ET65daMgHaFY%26p

I don't want to defend Aldean, he's a jackhole in multiple ways.  But it is plausible that he didn't know what any of the video clips symbolized.  The director is a dude named Shaun Silva, a CMT staple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Silva

Also a nice piece on Mr. Percy Dale East. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/what-made-pd-east-fearless-wit-segregationist-south-180970036/

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

A sentient person with two brain cells might surmise that filming in any southern town's square in front of the courthouse is a likely lynching location.

Bless your pure heart.

The courthouse with the flag draped on it does not explicitly signify lynching. It explicitly signifies official sanction of small town vigilantism.

The lynching part was implicit - that’s the dog whistle. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Night Rider's Lament, such a great song!  Gets me dusty everytime. As i remember it:

"....he tells me last night I run on to Jenny....he tells me you sure missed the track when you never come back...shes the perfect professional's wife.. she asks me why just he ride for his money, why does he rope for short pay..he must have gone crazy out there.."

Was listening to JJW last night while grilling and drinking wine, Night Rider's Lament played and it put me right where I needed to be. Great song, sung by the only guy I want to hear sing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2023 at 7:45 AM, closetohumping said:

On 7/28/2023 at 8:07 AM, G650 said:

Yeah this is basically exactly opposite of reality. John Rich is a mega cunt and but Big Kenny is a legit good dude.

What G650 said.  Rich is such a fucking cunt.  The cuntiest of cunts. 

Meanwhile, this moronic thread

• Haha 1