RIP Sinead O'Connor

Horn Under a Bad Sign

RIP. Truly unique. Sad that she struggled with so much for so long. Her son took his own life not too long ago. Loved her music and how brave she seemed to be. Certainly impacted my youth quite a bit. Not some bs influencer type that has been auto tuned or “handled” by a fleet of producers. And original that truly felt her music. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I was young and didn't get the brouhaha over her SNL appearance, other than being in a "Catholic" house it was some sort of big deal.

Her voice and artistic talents were stunning.

Her singing on Kingdom of Rain, with The The, really shows off, especially starting at 3:10.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I hope she's truly sleeping at peace, as she once sang. Doesn't seem like she had as much as she should have in her 56 years.

She recorded her version of the the Outlander theme song for this season. Sadly, time had not been kind to her voice. She sounded Marge Simpson-esque. I'm assuming she was a smoker to have developed that much of a rasp.

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

RIP.  She said what she said and she was fucking right. 

What a brave soul.

“This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian’s journey. All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant.”

Really? Can’t say I agree. 

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian’s journey. All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant.”

Really? Can’t say I agree. 

You seriously think that's what he's talking about?

• Hook 'Em 3

I’ve been fearing this for years. I can’t think of a person more truly authentic— never for a moment trying to be other than who she was. A terribly abusive upbringing and ensuing struggles but such strength through her voice. She was right about every damn thing, as society will eventually acknowledge— even the difficult brown —google it— what a fantastic soul. 

• Hook 'Em 3

My shitty band somehow made it onto the bill at the Hole In The Wall for a "girls' rock hoot night".  Everyone had to cover two songs by female artists.  We did "Dreaming" by Blondie and "Mandinka" by Sinead.  The crowd went fucking nuts at the latter, nobody had thought to cover her, it was mostly Go-Gos, Bangles, The Pretenders, Patti Smith, Cyndi Lauper, etc.  We sucked but we gave it a good enough try.  I actually had some pretty big Austin music luminaries give me the high five afterwards.  

EVERYONE loved Sinead.  Except the Catholics.

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm probably getting some of the details wrong, but my friend saw her perform in (I think) The Erwin Center in a show cut short by, purportedly, vocal exhaustion- end of the 4th song she screams "AND YOU'RE STILL A FUCKING LIAR!", spikes the mic on the stage, storms off.

Me- Aw man, that sucks. You get a refund?

Her- No man. Those 4 songs were the best rock show I've been to.

• Hook 'Em 3

Truly one of a kind. I was involved a few years back with a big initiative involving the Prince estate and a production using “Nothing Compares” and we were then peripherally sampling some things from Sinead’s published recording - nothing she was involved in by that time but we were given some audio splits of her in the sessions for her recording of it and holy shit she had a voice that could punch through walls. Just unbridled intensity paired with a voice that was pitch perfect and dialed in.

So many great songs have been mentioned but one I always thought was most poignant and also had a stellar minimalist drum track was “last day of our acquaintance”

A powerful, troubled talent. RIP

• Hook 'Em 2