2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

For that game, and maybe that game only, maybe move Sorrell to Buck and put Bledsoe or Collins at Jack. Hill and Burke as situational pass rushers. Stop the run because they're not going to be throwing on us. 

This. Reese is going to run the ball. He won’t be able to throw it. I’m expecting a QB running package, too, with Milroe. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Until we can stop back up and 3rd string qbs. Anyone Bama rolls out under center is a threat 

We did ok with the backups OU rolled out last year. I’m sure Bama’s QB room is an upgrade from that, but it might not be a big upgrade. 

Edited by Chili dog

10 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Until we can stop back up and 3rd string qbs. Anyone Bama rolls out under center is a threat 

I like Jalen Milroe but are we going to act like the A&M game didn't exist last year? and he (clearly) beat out the other guys as the backup.

This isn't the Alabama of yesteryear.

image.png.ca21f3d7f3bb1428a0e20af82929cd52.png

image.png.5392cd60c0d92c6cdd7a38a4e781cbea.png

On 8/2/2023 at 11:15 AM, Bodacious Bevo said:

First scrimmage. Sark dials up a swing pass. Catalon sees it coming. JWhitt executes a great block, as expected, but Catalon’s pure violence blows him up. Every tendon in JWhitt’s body snaps. Catalon can feel his shoulder tearing but knows to finish the play. Boom, big hit on Brooks. Catalon’s other shoulder tears and Brooks spontaneously develops seven hernias in his thigh. Worthy and Neyor are closest to the action as the two play side receivers. They come over to help. Neyor trips, tearing his ACL. X extends his hand to help Brooks up. It breaks on contact. Amidst the carnage, a loud shrieking erupts. Players and coaches turn towards the noise. Is that a monkey running towards the field? 

danielle-thomas-with-gia.jpg.2a5db07f680e6d4e4e7d70d951a3f4c0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Red Five said:

For that game, and maybe that game only, maybe move Sorrell to Buck and put Bledsoe or Collins at Jack. Hill and Burke as situational pass rushers. Stop the run because they're not going to be throwing on us. 

I can definitely see that for Bama and maybe KSU. The right side of Bama's OL is nasty (Latham and Booker). There is talk that Simpson is in the lead at QB (Gerry mentioned that), catching him early should be a positive for Texas. Probably a game that PK will have multiple personnel groupings. I do not expect much tempo from them, given the expectations that Bama will lean on the run game and their defense. That should make the substitution game pretty easy. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

I like Jalen Milroe but are we going to act like the A&M game didn't exist last year? and he (clearly) beat out the other guys as the backup.

This isn't the Alabama of yesteryear.

image.png.ca21f3d7f3bb1428a0e20af82929cd52.png

image.png.5392cd60c0d92c6cdd7a38a4e781cbea.png

Milroe isnt a great QB, but you probably have to prepare for him to have a package. I could definitely see him with short yardage responsibilities, like the Eagles, and some option offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Essentially he said the last two coaches by year 3 things felt stale and headed in the wrong direction.

By the end of Year 3 of Herman, sure, but the hype train was rolling just as much or more than it is now coming off 2018’s OU win, B12 CCG appearance, and Sugar Bowl win. There were threads on this board about the superiority of the Tom Herman offense and the job Herb Hand did turning around the OL room.
  • Like 2

By the end of Year 3 of Herman, sure, but the hype train was rolling just as much or more than it is now coming off 2018’s OU win, B12 CCG appearance, and Sugar Bowl win. There were threads on this board about the superiority of the Tom Herman offense and the job Herb Hand did turning around the OL room.
Why you bringing up old shit, lulz
  • Like 1

If Catalon’s shoulders can hold up, I think we’ll be just fine on D. With all the young guys expected to play on the front 7, Catalon’s ability to clean up run and shallow passing game is super valuable. Even if he can’t go full-time, it aids in the development of the defense as a whole. 

Edited by CastHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Bk and Bucky had Ricky Williams on the show this morning and asked his thoughts on the season and if Texas has what it takes to win the Big12. I thought his answer was very interesting. Essentially he said the last two coaches by year 3 things felt stale and headed in the wrong direction. With Sark he said it feels like things are still building in the right direction. From his lips to God’s ears!

See 1:46:30

Does Ricky live in a yurt? 

Yurt_Inside.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Why you bringing up old shit, lulz

He’s got us winning 7 games this year. Up from 5 last year. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I'm being super avoidant with work so here's a chart on the year 3 record predictions. The surly win poll does show slightly more optimism for 2019 than 2023 with 77% predicting 10+ wins then compared to 72% now. Overall I'd say the expectations were generally pretty similar. 

image.png.4b380f91f3486c6a7bf3099440f41aa4.png

In 2019, there was lots of belief in the offense as you mention with Sam emerging, Hand fixing our OL problems, and lots of young skill position talent. The defense was up and down in 2018 but we believed in addition by subtraction, even accounting for youth. No more Kris Boyd tax!

I won't rehash all the institutional changes in our favor the last four years, but the end result is that everybody seems much more confident in the current roster than the one in 2019. It's doubt in the head man that's giving us pause. Herman and Sark had differing reputations going into their third years and they're both deserved. 

For my part, I voted 9-3 in 2019 and 10-2 this year. 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

That was back when we thought Todd Orlando could actually coach.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Simpson in the first half ineffective, and then Milroe in the 2nd half just running around pissing us all off is probably the Saban gameplan

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Milroe is a turnover machine, apparently. They're really apprehensive about having to play him in an actual QB role at this point. 

I'd prefer to think we will be ready for that. Will we?

On 8/3/2023 at 1:53 PM, ousux said:

As far as coaching goes, here is a list of some of the championship winning coaches in the past 20 years in no particular order:

Cuckbo
Blockhead
Gumbeaux O
Leslie Miles
Some guy that had his mom for a roommate in college and lets Jesus call plays

Shall I continue? Coaching isn't my top
concern this year, it's injuries and maintaining focus against what on paper should be less talented teams.

What do all of those championships have in common? 

Based on that list, unless Jesus is calling plays, you need an NFL Rookie of the year level QB and a Defensive HC.
  Edited by Slacks

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah but we needed him to get the practice and some reps. We’re gonna be dangerously thin at DT our first year in the SEC.

Not when we recruit the top grad transfer with another couple years of eligibility. Maybe you've heard of him. His name rhymes with Chumdomakong Cruh. 

Yeah but we needed him to get the practice and some reps. We’re gonna be dangerously thin at DT our first year in the SEC.

Maybe, uh, wait for some additional reporting on an unknown injury reported by Chip Brown in fall camp 2023 before fretting about DL depth in 2024.

14 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm being super avoidant with work so here's a chart on the year 3 record predictions. The surly win poll does show slightly more optimism for 2019 than 2023 with 77% predicting 10+ wins then compared to 72% now. Overall I'd say the expectations were generally pretty similar. 

image.png.4b380f91f3486c6a7bf3099440f41aa4.png

In 2019, there was lots of belief in the offense as you mention with Sam emerging, Hand fixing our OL problems, and lots of young skill position talent. The defense was up and down in 2018 but we believed in addition by subtraction, even accounting for youth. No more Kris Boyd tax!

I won't rehash all the institutional changes in our favor the last four years, but the end result is that everybody seems much more confident in the current roster than the one in 2019. It's doubt in the head man that's giving us pause. Herman and Sark had differing reputations going into their third years and they're both deserved. 

For my part, I voted 9-3 in 2019 and 10-2 this year. 

Makes sense that 2019 would have more optimism coming off a Sugar Bowl win vs Georgia and playing for a Big 12 title. 

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Milroe is a turnover machine, apparently. They're really apprehensive about having to play him in an actual QB role at this point. 

I was stunned watching the A&M-Alabama game last year, primarily by how bad Milroe was. Beyond the horrible passing ability, he seemed to be a fumbler whenever he ran. They can have zero confidence in his ability to play the position. Let him be the first guy off the bus to scare the opponents with his muscles, he’s a bad quarterback. The ND transfer has to be better, and I suspect he’ll be the one to replace Simpson if needed.

• Hook 'Em 1