The League

Vic Mackey

Started this last week and am already on Season 6. Always heard about it but thought it was going to be pretty dorky since it was based around fantasy football but this show is the tits. Wish I would have watched it in real time since they make a ton of references to the current seasons and so many NFL players appearances.

Team Andre, Rafi and Taco.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Started this last week and am already on Season 6. Always heard about it but thought it was going to be pretty dorky since it was based around fantasy football but this show is the tits. Wish I would have watched it in real time since they make a ton of references to the current seasons and so many NFL players appearances.

Team Andre, Rafi and Taco.

It really is a good show, and was fun to watch in real time.

If you look closely, UT football games are on the TV in the background in a few scenes here and there.  Pete/Mark Duplass went to UT.

On the previous version of Surly, somebody figured out exactly what games they were.

• Hook 'Em 2

If you look closely, UT football games are on the TV in the background in a few scenes here and there.  Pete/Mark Duplass went to UT.
On the previous version of Surly, somebody figured out exactly what games they were.
Yep I'm in season 6, which I think is 2014. There was an episode where it looked to be Texas OU on their tv. I didn't know Pete went to UT. That's cool.

I loved this show when it came out. I sound probably add it to my rewatch stuff with IASIP, trailer park boys, the office and workaholics 
All of those are great. I see Workaholics was added to Netflix or Hulu. Might rewatch that one day. We just finished Brooklyn 99 and The Bear. Both really good
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah I watched this show in real time when it was airing back in the day. The first 2-3 seasons were a lot of fun but it did get a bit repetitive and the athlete cameos got to be a little bit over-the-top by the end.

And yeah if anything the lasting legacy of this show is "Eskimo Brothers" lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep I'm in season 6, which I think is 2014. There was an episode where it looked to be Texas OU on their tv. I didn't know Pete went to UT. That's cool.

I took Thomas Whitbread’s Creative Writing: Poetry class with Mark back in 96 or 97. It was a small class of maybe 20 where we critiqued and discussed each other’s work. He was working on both film and music at the time. He was friendly, good-natured, somewhat unassuming. It was cool to see him and his brother have some success starting with The Puffy Chair a few years later. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh I had no idea Duplass went to Texas. He’s a pretty big deal/pretty big influence in film. Shoegaze or whatever, I’m not a film guy but it’s was always a little funny that he does this tv comedy and then over here is a huge indie film guy with his brother.

I still haven’t wrapped up the series, every year I watch an episode or two around draft time but I just.. watched some cartoon rafi episode last fall, it’s not quite the same in the later season. I should wrap it up and start from the beginning.

I remember watching this and Workaholics live and feeling like I wanted to be more of a The League guy (in real life) but was much more of a Workaholics guy. Glad things have changed since then.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, RPM said:

The Duplass Brothers have had several shows on HBO. Room 104 is excellent.

Oh that does sound interesting - 

Fascinated by what really happens at that corporate chain hotel near the airport -- from the funny and weird to the scary and absurd -- creators Mark and Jay Duplass ("Togetherness," "Animals") check into "Room 104." The anthology series is set at an average American motel and tells stories ranging from comedies to dramas to horrors, with the tone, the characters and the era changing every time. Each episode plays like a mini-movie, offering a new discovery from one week to the next. Ultimately, "Room 104" is about "finding some magic in the seemingly mundane," the Duplass brothers say.

I enjoyed (and don't think I ever finished) High Maintenance, and this sounds similar - one setting/through line that connects a bunch of small independent stories.

The one that is on now.... Somebody Somewhere is also good. Very small, which I think is part of their deal. The movie based on the craiglist ad is also enjoyable for more comedy - Safety Not Guaranteed.

Back to The League, though - where the fuck is Taco? He was great and seemed like someone who probably had his own kinda thing going and they just brought him in on the show, but I haven't seen him pop up anywhere else.

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Oh that does sound interesting - 

I enjoyed (and don't think I ever finished) High Maintenance, and this sounds similar - one setting/through line that connects a bunch of small independent stories.

The one that is on now.... Somebody Somewhere is also good. Very small, which I think is part of their deal. The movie based on the craiglist ad is also enjoyable for more comedy - Safety Not Guaranteed.

Back to The League, though - where the fuck is Taco? He was great and seemed like someone who probably had his own kinda thing going and they just brought him in on the show, but I haven't seen him pop up anywhere else.

I enjoyed this, it was weird but pretty good

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

He does indie folk rock in Canada now.

16 hours ago, Celery Man said:

He was a Youtube star when he was cast. Hasn't done much aside.

28 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

creep was a really good horror/psychological thriller that duplass did as well.  sounds like i need to check out room 104.

Yeah, this movie was fucking weird. Loved it.

Eskimo brother data base!

On 8/12/2023 at 12:14 PM, Celery Man said:

Oh I had no idea Duplass went to Texas. He’s a pretty big deal/pretty big influence in film. Shoegaze or whatever, I’m not a film guy but it’s was always a little funny that he does this tv comedy and then over here is a huge indie film guy with his brother.

Mark was in a band during his time at Texas. catchy little diddy.

Hulu (& my smart tv) must be prioritizing The League right now because they highlighted it on my tv home page. Watched the first couple of episodes last night after a few drinks. First ever rewatch of it. I didn’t recall that Eskimo brothers was introduced in episode 1. And that the Shiva trophy had the picture of their classmate on it, so early in the show without an explanation.

didn’t realize that Meghan Markle was on an early episode,

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hulu (& my smart tv) must be prioritizing The League right now because they highlighted it on my tv home page. Watched the first couple of episodes last night after a few drinks. First ever rewatch of it. I didn’t recall that Eskimo brothers was introduced in episode 1. And that the Shiva trophy had the picture of their classmate on it, so early in the show without an explanation.
Didn't know that either. We are watching Suits right now so we see Megan all the time.

It’s because of football season is nigh upon us

• 2 weeks later...

I will agree that this lost a little stream at the end. I have 2 episodes to go. Season 7 has been pretty meh so far. Just saw an episode where half of it was a cartoon of Rafi and Seth Rogens character. Didn't like it at all. At least they knew when to close the books on the show, unlike others like The Office and It's Always Sunny.