Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

On 2/6/2024 at 2:19 PM, Brisketexan said:

Are you from deep S. Texas?  Because my old man -- not a childish ketchup aficionado by any stretch - puts ketchup on his CFS.  And so do his peers.  I was stunned when I first saw him do it, when I was maybe 8 or so.  But he grew up in Eagle Pass, and I'll be damned -- a lot of guys from Kingsville on south eat their CFS with ketchup on top of the gravy.

I love it with my cfs and white gravy.

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 1

I like sausage bits in my cream gravy for biscuits.  I've even had it with chorizo, which is damned fine.

For my CFS, I just want cream gravy with plenty of pepper and a dash of salt as needed.  And don't skimp on the gravy, you sonofabitch.

If you want to mix stuff into your cream gravy, like ketchup, or hot sauce, you do you, that sort of freedom is what we fought both the American and Texas Revolutions for.

But as for those folks who put brown gravy on their CFS....some people just want to watch the world burn.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But as for those folks who put brown gravy on their CFS....some people just want to watch the world burn.

I ordered a CFS at a truck stop in Kansass City, Misery once...ONCE! They served a mystery meat breaded patty with brown onion gravy. I damn near set fire to the place myself.

I'm team "gravy on the side" so that the breading stays crunchy. White gravy and lots of black pepper. Don't need any more protein because I'm already eating a deep fried steak.

I've had the cowboy style cfs from Matt's. It's pretty good. But when I go to Matt's (usually not my choice), I'm getting the asadero tacos, as those are the only true standout menu item that I've had there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Lulu’s in San Antonio was first place I’ve seen queso on cfs. 

Couple of Mexican restaurants here around Taylor do that, actually chicken fried fajitas topped with queso, damn tasty.  I always ask for tortillas and make some cfs, rice and bean tacos.

• Drool 1

22 hours ago, deft said:

Who didn’t love the secret dart bowl menu home run……order of enchiladas with the fried egg and white onion……but on top of a chicken fried steak. Toast on the side.

*crackers on the side. 

My Dart Bowl souvenir. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/crispy-dogs-san-antonio-17768887.php
crispydog.JPG.c111b5fd863b6d3608269ce9541a9bd9.JPG

My mom grew up eating those in the valley. Sometimes, she’d make em at home as a treat. They rock.

Never had these but I keep coming back to this post. Corn or flour tilla? I think I have some flour at the house right now. Might fix up some for the ol lady though I don’t think that’s the weinerin she had in mind for Valentine’s Day.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, deft said:

Never had these but I keep coming back to this post. Corn or flour tilla? I think I have some flour at the house right now. Might fix up some for the ol lady though I don’t think that’s the weinerin she had in mind for Valentine’s Day.

Corn.  They get crispier faster.  And, that's what they used back in the day in the valley.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 11:02 AM, CoachTex said:

Reminds me of "tail pipes" at the filling station.  I miss that place. 

On 2/13/2024 at 11:59 AM, CycleTex87 said:

Pos rep for Filling Station reference. Tune Up w/ floating lime lit on fire for the ladies.

8 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Hell yes. Damn that honey mustard was elite too. 

Didn’t know this about that the filling station, thought it was a one off place on Barton springs, pretty cool. 

IMG_1760.thumb.jpeg.1433c44789959ca3afc04c1477a9a4a8.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deft said:

Give her both!

Opened the fridge feeling a bit peckish this a.m. Saw a third of an onion, leftover potato wedges and a nearly finished bottle of Mezzetta's Hot Jalapenos. Decided breffis tacos were on order.

A dozen eggs, half-pound of bacon, pepper jack cheese, hot Valentina and some fresh tortillas later and I was happy boy. Is there ever a bad time for breffis tacos?

20240218_BreffisTacos.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1