Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

Not mine, but damned if I ain't gonna try making these soon...  

From the bean and cheese breakfast taco to the raspa, the San Antonio culinary scene is known for a number of signature items.  That includes the crispy dog, the 1950s-era diner favorite made by restaurants and grandmothers alike, according to Texas Monthly. Unfortunately, the crispy dog, a hot dog wrapped in a tortilla with cheese and then deep-fried, is now disappearing from menus, Jose Ralat, a journalist with the magazine, wrote on Monday. 

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/crispy-dogs-san-antonio-17768887.php

crispydog.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

From the bean and cheese breakfast taco to the raspa, the San Antonio culinary scene is known for a number of signature items.  That includes the crispy dog, the 1950s-era diner favorite made by restaurants and grandmothers alike, according to Texas Monthly. Unfortunately, the crispy dog, a hot dog wrapped in a tortilla with cheese and then deep-fried, is now disappearing from menus, Jose Ralat, a journalist with the magazine, wrote on Monday. 

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/crispy-dogs-san-antonio-17768887.php
crispydog.JPG.c111b5fd863b6d3608269ce9541a9bd9.JPG

My mom grew up eating those in the valley. Sometimes, she’d make em at home as a treat. They rock.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

crispydog.JPG

I prefer a larger wiener, but, yes, would. With enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

This combination never entered my mind. You’re a god damned genius!

We merely take what the good Lord gives us.

21 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

crispydog.JPG

That is a great idea.

Wonder if you toothpick the tortilla or just hold it together with tongs until it fries a bit to keep it from unraveling ?

Might also be good with flour tortillas.

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That is a great idea.

Wonder if you toothpick the tortilla or just hold it together with tongs until it fries a bit to keep it from unraveling ?

Might also be good with flour tortillas.

My mom always did it with a toothpick holding it together.  In the deep fryer at the Pig Stand where she got them growing up, I think they had a cage contraption that held them together.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1) I'm not even sure what that is.

2) I would definitely eat it.

CFS breakfast that I ate in my car. Hash browns. Over easy. 

I put ketchup on mine. Anyone that doesn't like that can go fuck themselves. 

• Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

CFS breakfast that I ate in my car. Hash browns. Over easy. 

I put ketchup on mine. Anyone that doesn't like that can go fuck themselves. 

Are you from deep S. Texas?  Because my old man -- not a childish ketchup aficionado by any stretch - puts ketchup on his CFS.  And so do his peers.  I was stunned when I first saw him do it, when I was maybe 8 or so.  But he grew up in Eagle Pass, and I'll be damned -- a lot of guys from Kingsville on south eat their CFS with ketchup on top of the gravy.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Are you from deep S. Texas?  Because my old man -- not a childish ketchup aficionado by any stretch - puts ketchup on his CFS.  And so do his peers.  I was stunned when I first saw him do it, when I was maybe 8 or so.  But he grew up in Eagle Pass, and I'll be damned -- a lot of guys from Kingsville on south eat their CFS with ketchup on top of the gravy.

It's not something I usually do but I was in a hurry and didn't have any hot sauce on hand. Generally I'd hit the hash browns with a little ketchup and drench the rest in cholula or a similar hot sauce. 

There wasn't a damn thing wrong with it, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Shiiiiit. There’s gonna be a 500% decrease in crown Vic and grand marquis collisions coming out of that parking lot onto steck. I passed by at least one a week when I lived over in them parts.

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:19 PM, Brisketexan said:

Yep it’s definitely a south Texas thing. Never liked it but a ton of family did, they also do ketchup with tamales which I can’t even look at

• Haha 1

“White people taco night” for the kids who love just bean and cheese on flour. Threw some tots in the air fryer and heated up the leftover taco meat. Little bit of this, little bit of that. Lodi appellation and not vintners blend because I’m not a total philistine.
7c01a0ac50a5921039d80719a1e84cdb.jpg

Went back for round two because Fat Tuesday is right around the corner so we’re making this a fat Friday.
f715ffbd9e928f91196436d1aca45f2a.jpg

My only regret was that the bear plate was in the wash. And I should have added more cholula.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 3:56 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

I struggled with where to post this story, but Steel Shank it is!  I'm a liver and onions guy, BTW.

Demolition Pending for Northwest Austin's Former Luby's Cafeteria

image.thumb.png.95ef5c12da625871edec10fdceea3dc3.png

https://austin.towers.net/demolition-pending-for-northwest-austins-former-lubys-cafeteria/?pro=jude@towers.net

Man, one of the best times of my life.  I lived off Bent Tree and could walk across the street and get Luby’s.  Or drive up a ways to Mesa, there was Little Italy, Wally’s and Roppollos pizza.  Good times.  Plus you could eat your Wally’s burger in the Anderson High parking lot. 

• Like 1

“White people taco night” for the kids who love just bean and cheese on flour. Threw some tots in the air fryer and heated up the leftover taco meat. Little bit of this, little bit of that. Lodi appellation and not vintners blend because I’m not a total philistine.

Went back for round two because Fat Tuesday is right around the corner so we’re making this a fat Friday.

My only regret was that the bear plate was in the wash. And I should have added more cholula.

I feel this is one of those Josh memes.

11 hours ago, deft said:

image.gif.e187a32c3611a9f92b69a4e0ff785024.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 1:37 PM, ztejas said:

20240206_133621.thumb.jpg.1513738dc70e5fd488f19f5a994b91c4.jpg

I’m repping this because A. I rep all pics posted in this thread and B. I do enjoy some ketchup on hash browns (only time I use ketchup) and I like when it gets on the eggs or corned beef hash or even the cfs.

That said this was a hard rep because I had no idea what it was until you said it, but hey I repped the thread name sake when he posted plain tortilla chips warmed up on a baking sheet last page so this is at least something combined lol.

Edited by Covri