Game Day Experience 2023

Bullneck

6 hours ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Tell the lady regulating the escalator that I believe we’re all capable of doing it ourselves.  Line was ridiculous 

This is just stupidly wrong.

When they do not insert the breaks into the streams of people entering the escalators it ends up creating a dangerous situation on the landings.

The delay is frustrating, but 100% necessary.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

This is just stupidly wrong.
When they do not insert the breaks into the streams of people entering the escalators it ends up creating a dangerous situation on the landings.
The delay is frustrating, but 100% necessary.

It’s not the breaks in the line, which of course are necessary and have been regularly done for the 30 years I’ve been using the escalators.

Saturday, the woman apparently “in charge” of the North escalator went way overboard with her “authority” confronting people, telling us we didn’t come in the right way, had to go outside and to the back of the line….sassy bitch acted like she was the new fucking sheriff in town.

I politely told her to go fuck herself and went about my way. The older guy who’s been there the last several seasons just shrugged his shoulders.

I’m definitely writing that cunt up in an email this week.

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

After going to the Bama game, our experience seems so amateur in many ways. The Jumbotron is just too loud, the sound quality is TRASH.

Also Bama figured out how to do the LED lights. Not stupid strobe crap. Take down the white lights and just bathe the stadium in orange. Done.

Bama also would just play ambient hip hop beats that would keep the crowd bumping. NOT 40 year old metal that hurts the ears and kills all the energy. Play something recruits will actually like. Damn it, it isn’t hard. The atmosphere seems designed for 65 yr old grandparents.

Bob Cole is horrid. I mean HORRID. He has to go. I found myself wondering what it would be like with someone like Rod Babers doing the stadium commentating.

Overall most of what we were doing looked like something Texas Tech would do, but with us just spending more money on it. Seems like we are trying too hard. Amateur hour.

I was sitting in a suite and even there the PA is mind numbingly loud. The whole thing is sensory overload. Maybe it’s a young persons thing but I don’t enjoy it. 

• Like 3

Game experience had been trending in the right direction since 2019 but good lord last night was a beating. Stuff you guys have already hit on - PA volume, constant bombardment with terrible music, they somehow found a MC worse than Bob Cole (at one point the dude just yelled "TEXAS" while a kickoff that Texas was returning was actively in play), etc. It just felt so forced and destroyed any opportunity to build any kind of organic energy.

I'm also not convinced communication defense isn't impacted. The first two times they actually stopped the PA and let fans get loud on third downs were the bullshit PI call Wyoming got and the Sorrell sack.

• Hook 'Em 3

Bellmont's been trying too hard for a long time. 
It's assault and battery on your senses - a shitshow that is 50% infomercial, 50% night club. 100% embarrassing. 

I kept referring to it as an assault on the senses. We were sitting (standing) in the student section and a group of girls (no pics) said they like going to the games because it’s “like a rave”. They don’t like football but like how it feels like a dance party.

So dipshit Bob Cole was actually a bit subdued, compared to his usual over the top carnival barker act.

But that void was filled by the miked up dickhead on the field. The fuckface actually gave instructions on how to do Texas Fight.

Oh! And we have a new thing! After every first down…Bob Cole says: First Down….TEXAS! Crowd says…. “FIGHT!”

Thank God nobody actually did that gay ass high school shit. The best Texas Fights were organic and started by the cheerleaders.

Whoever came up with that idea needs to be shot, along with miked up douchebag.

Bob is not the one saying “Texas”. He says first down like always. Miked up dickhead then yells Texas!

I hate it so much because for 25+ years now I have ridiculed other teams that do organized celebrations for first fucking downs.

That guy on the field has to go. It’s almost like he was planted there to make us somehow less irritated at the other shit we usually get ragey about.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, miguelito said:

I listened to some of the game on the radio, and the feed was horrible.  I though it was signal interference or something, but the ads came in crystal clear.  But every time they went back to Craig, all I could hear was background noise, which seemed to include a lot of piped in music.  Can we pitch in and get the radio guys better microphones?

It was like that for rice too. I don’t believe I’m an audiophile but it’s extremely annoying to listen to.

iHeart sucks. Unless it’s shitty production from Learfield 

Edited by UTexasFight

You don’t hear the band one time during breaks in play. It’s Bob Cole screaming in your ear, music being blasted as they ask people to sing along or the dumb on-field “host” doing a stupid interview or contest.

Also, how hard is it for Bob Cole to not talk while the ball is being snapped?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Bob is not the one saying “Texas”. He says first down like always. Miked up dickhead then yells Texas!

I hate it so much because for 25+ years now I have ridiculed other teams that do organized celebrations for first fucking downs.

That guy on the field has to go. It’s almost like he was planted there to make us somehow less irritated at the other shit we usually get ragey about.

It is definitely Bob saying “Texas” on first downs. That assclown’s voice is unmistakable. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also, how hard is it for Bob Cole to not talk while the ball is being snapped?

7 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

It is definitely Bob saying “Texas” on first downs. 

There was a kickoff Texas was fielding where the other guy just yelled "Texas!" loud as fuck, as if to start a Texas Fight chant, as the ball was in play in the air. Distracting as fuck. Could have easily thrown a returner off and caused a muffed kick. Irritating as hell.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Cutting the volume by 20% would solve a lot of this, IMO. Just take some of the edge off. 

And like someone said above, how about some steady hip hop type stuff, at a reduced volume, as opposed to destroying our ear buds with 40 year old AC/DC. 

That was me.  Thinking about it a little more, if it was my job, I would take the current top 20 hip-hop songs each week... find the 10 with the most suitable or recognizable beats... and then that would be my ambient music when the band wasn't playing.  Take the instrumental version and put it on loop.  Something CURRENT.  And turn up the bass and turn down that shrill ass treble.  Damn.  

Just looking at the spotify current rap top chart, there are a ton of good options.  You could play the instrumental version of WAP and I guarantee the student section and players would get fired up. Or Going Bad. Or First Class. Whatever. I don't love any of these songs, but that isn't the point. The players do. And the students do.  It has to be better than playing tired AF "Jump" by Van Halen.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

All that planning and noise and crap and we were up 10-7 at halftime against ... Wyoming.  Wow what an impact...

Right before the halftime, a guy in a yellow shirt with STAFF written on it and carrying a radio appeared in our section.  He said "OK everyone we are going to do the wave! 1,2,3 .... go" and a few people tried to start the wave.  I think I yelled "Pathetic!" but it may have been something stronger.  He tried to start it two more times and got frustrated with the crowd.  The reason he could not start the wave was that he was being overrun by mostly drunk people leaving the stands in search of more beer.  The drunks were not organized but they were goal oriented.  He left after about four attempts.

Someone somewhere in the athletic department had probably decided that the stadium would do the wave at exactly the end of the 2nd quarter.  And they penciled it in to the game script.  And that's how some idiot ended up in our section trying to start the wave while being run over by drunks.

I don't think Bob Cole isn't trying to be annoying, I think he's being held hostage.  Someone somewhere in the athletic department has decided what he's going to say and exactly when he's going to say it.  Everything is pre-planned.

I knew it would be loud and I brought earplugs to try to knock it down.  Still too much.  My phone measured 94-98 dB from the PA between plays.  I left after halftime and was pretty happy to be out of the stadium and away from the PA system.  But hey, the stadium was packed.  It's hard to say if people were there because of all of the extra crap or in spite of all of the extra crap.

I thought the visuals on the Jumbotron were well done, but the constant barrage of noise was more than I could take.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/17/2023 at 12:19 AM, TrashMaster G said:

It drives me nuts that they feel like they have to fill every moment with sound. It is fucking exhausting.

I knew we would find common ground, king. I'm with you on that. I hate that you can't hear the band anymore. After every play it's fucking noise or rap music. JFC they treat it like a pro game.. this is college, not the fucking NFL. I also hate that the band doesn't play Wabash Cannonball after the 3rd quarter anymore. Or if they do, you can't hear it because of the unnecessary stadium noise or whatever rock/rap song is playing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

All that planning and noise and crap and we were up 10-7 at halftime against ... Wyoming.  Wow what an impact...
Right before the halftime, a guy in a yellow shirt with STAFF written on it and carrying a radio appeared in our section.  He said "OK everyone we are going to do the wave! 1,2,3 .... go" and a few people tried to start the wave.  I think I yelled "Pathetic!" but it may have been something stronger.  He tried to start it two more times and got frustrated with the crowd.  The reason he could not start the wave was that he was being overrun by mostly drunk people leaving the stands in search of more beer.  The drunks were not organized but they were goal oriented.  He left after about four attempts.
Someone somewhere in the athletic department had probably decided that the stadium would do the wave at exactly the end of the 2nd quarter.  And they penciled it in to the game script.  And that's how some idiot ended up in our section trying to start the wave while being run over by drunks.
I don't think Bob Cole isn't trying to be annoying, I think he's being held hostage.  Someone somewhere in the athletic department has decided what he's going to say and exactly when he's going to say it.  Everything is pre-planned.
I knew it would be loud and I brought earplugs to try to knock it down.  Still too much.  My phone measured 94-98 dB from the PA between plays.  I left after halftime and was pretty happy to be out of the stadium and away from the PA system.  But hey, the stadium was packed.  It's hard to say if people were there because of all of the extra crap or in spite of all of the extra crap.
I thought the visuals on the Jumbotron were well done, but the constant barrage of noise was more than I could take.

People were there because there’s some excitement around the team and a night game with an 85 degree kick is a lot more attractive than a 102 degree daytime kick. Wouldn’t overthink that one.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Stadium experience and crowd is consistently better than it's ever been. We finally have a good homefield atmosphere and you all bitch and want it quieter and shit. But yeah lets go back in time and talk about the same 4-5 games in a 30 year span that the crowd was "great."

This was true until the Wyoming game. Atmosphere was completely listless because it was totally dominated by the constant, blaring audio. Crowd could barely get a word in.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

59 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I knew we would find common ground, king. I'm with you on that. I hate that you can't hear the band anymore. After every play it's fucking noise or rap music. JFC they treat it like a pro game.. this is college, not the fucking NFL. I also hate that the band doesn't play Wabash Cannonball after the 3rd quarter anymore. Or if they do, you can't hear it because of the unnecessary stadium noise or whatever rock/rap song is playing. 

They still do Wabash Cannonball and don't interrupt it.  Thankfully.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

It was a figurative expression. The constant blaring of the PA discouraged the crowd from getting involved in the game.

I disagree....the performance of the team through 3 and a half quarters does more to discourage the crowd than what is coming through speakers. Bob Cole does fucking suck though. 

The sound system/music is similar to a house party that is playing music a little louder. It will cause the people in the stadium/party to talk louder and naturally be louder without realizing it. 

I haven't been to a game this year, but I remember my senses being absolutely fucking assaulted at the UL Monroe game last year. It was my first game at DKR since 2013. 

Maybe I'm just old now. I went to Texas during the Colt years and wondered why the old folks got so worked up over godzillatron. But damn, it just feels like too much these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, old man yelling at cloud here.  I love their passion and imagination.  Show 'em at kickoff and again at some Q4 hype moment.  But it doesn't need to be a fixture of the broadcast.  Maybe it was just a LHN thing on their way out the football door.  

Now if we ever do an outfield expansion plan at DFF, they'd make an awesome distraction for opposing hitters and I'll underwrite their costs.  

Crowds have been into it this season despite the lackluster opponents and heat.  

Long shot that Kansas could be ranked coming in here in two weeks time.  They are ~#30 right now and if they take care of a solid BYU team in Lawrence, with a few teams in front of them having games they are underdogs in, we could see a #25 @ #3.  Not Gameday material, but should be another great atmosphere.  If it's picked up at 2:30p though, could be hot as balls.  Maybe we sneak in a 6:00p on ESPN2?  Dunno.  Should all be announced in 2 hours time, but could see them using one of their first of 3 6-day flexes.  Do you even lift, bro?  

• Hook 'Em 1

my son and i have gone to games for close to 15 years now. He is not a fan of the cannon and always holds his ears when he knows it's coming.

we were at a High School game the other night. The team scored a touchdown and he instinctively held his hands to his ears waiting for the cannon.

We kind of had a laugh over it.

We are nothing more than mice in a CDC's lab experiment.

Edited by yoladu
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Stadium experience and crowd is consistently better than it's ever been. We finally have a good homefield atmosphere and you all bitch and want it quieter and shit. But yeah lets go back in time and talk about the same 4-5 games in a 30 year span that the crowd was "great."

You enjoy Bob cole talking when our offense is trying to communicate?

you prefer a 3rd down loud noise graphic over a replay of the previous play?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

I agree with many of these complaints.  That said, over the last couple of years, the student sections have been the best I can recall in a very long time, if not the best ever.  From our seats, we have a great view of them and they have been bringing it big time.  They are loud/engaged and watching them go berserk is fun.

Also, putting the recruits in the southwest corner (as opposed to lower east side), where they can see the students, was a great move.

Keep it up derelicts.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, gmr548 said:

There was a kickoff Texas was fielding where the other guy just yelled "Texas!" loud as fuck, as if to start a Texas Fight chant, as the ball was in play in the air. Distracting as fuck. Could have easily thrown a returner off and caused a muffed kick. Irritating as hell.

Yes - one of the things I heard on TV that confused me.  At some point I assume the refs will flag Texas and the stupidity will stop.

56 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I disagree....the performance of the team through 3 and a half quarters does more to discourage the crowd than what is coming through speakers. Bob Cole does fucking suck though. 

The sound system/music is similar to a house party that is playing music a little louder. It will cause the people in the stadium/party to talk louder and naturally be louder without realizing it. 

Hey folks, I think we have found the stadium DJ.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

You could play the instrumental version of WAP and I guarantee the student section and players would get fired up.

Pass…nothing against the song but I don’t think need need to play a song about a pussy in a stadium where the player’s entrance is compared to a giant uterus.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

You enjoy Bob cole talking when our offense is trying to communicate?

you prefer a 3rd down loud noise graphic over a replay of the previous play?

I’ve posted my disdain for Cole before, no need to mention that. 

if the 3rd down loud noise is being played when the other team goes tempo to try and get it off quick I don’t think the replay matters. Furthermore yes, I’d prefer a directive from the video board for people to be loud on 3rd down than to be watching a replay quietly while the other team is getting ready to get a play in/run a play. 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Hey folks, I think we have found the stadium DJ.

False. I wouldn’t play shitty ass Van Halen that majority of the students have no clue what the fucking song is. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

On 9/17/2023 at 9:43 AM, 4th&Five said:

Yeah, the guy on the field was awful.

We had multiple drunk af WY fans around us that eventually got tossed for try to incite a riot with the entire section. 

Were you in 31? There were some pussies behind me looking for attention all damn game and then quietly exited without a peep at the beginning of the 4th. They didn't say a damn thing to me or the other 6 foot tall Longhorn standing right in front of them (except for the drunkest making chit chat at halftime asking when I thought we'd win another championship "I'm not talking shit, just wondering what your fans think"), but kept starting shit with another 5'5" longhorn down their aisle. Making Fuck Texas comments all game, SEC comments. Just to fucking quit early in the 4th. You can be human trash, but to be human trash AND a bad fan after following your team halfway across the country? Fuck outta here.

There was a group of 10 40s/50s a few rows in front of us that seemed to be just fine. Kept to themselves and stayed and chilled for the whole game, but the single dudes were mostly yokels. 

16 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Regardless whether it’s actually CDC or not, someone up there pays attention to social media….so pile on any chance you get. See a couple of the comments

Grant Pinkerton tweeted CDC on Wednesday or Thursday about playing "If you're gonna play in Texas" so that our crowd could try and copy Alabama's state song shtick in Tuscaloosa, and lo and behold, that was played during the game. So CDC definitely uses Twitter/X a lot for feed back. It would be lot better to reach him there than getting this thread to 5 pages. 

Idk how I feel about that song. I understand Texas is Texas, but my Texas is a little less that Texas, and not sure I want to copy Alabama or West Virginia or whoever else's "southern good ol boy" themed singalong. No offense to John Denver, I get it's a classic. 

6 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Were you in 31? There were some pussies behind me looking for attention all damn game and then quietly exited without a peep at the beginning of the 4th. They didn't say a damn thing to me or the other 6 foot tall Longhorn standing right in front of them (except for the drunkest making chit chat at halftime asking when I thought we'd win another championship "I'm not talking shit, just wondering what your fans think"), but kept starting shit with another 5'5" longhorn down their aisle. Making Fuck Texas comments all game, SEC comments. Just to fucking quit early in the 4th. You can be human trash, but to be human trash AND a bad fan after following your team halfway across the country? Fuck outta here.

There was a group of 10 40s/50s a few rows in front of us that seemed to be just fine. Kept to themselves and stayed and chilled for the whole game, but the single dudes were mostly yokels. 

yes, they were in 31 around row 60 or so.  a group of five or six really shitfaced wyoming guys were itching for it and i was pretty impressed with the restraint most of the texas fans in the area showed because those guys were begging for a beatdown and the frustration from the shit performance on the field was gaining quickly.  one dude that was the biggest talker was like maybe 5'4 and exuded all the cliche entitled dipshit who needs to catch a punch to the face for his own well-being long-term.  they started with all the comedically unoriginal horns down nonsense at the beginning which no one really gave a shit about but after wyoming scored on the 60 yard run, they dialed it up to a "we are getting kicked out of this game" level.  one of them finally was which was probably a fortunate thing for the group.  the little twat and the rest of his groupies finally snuck out as quickly as possible after jerrin's pick.  probably the best call they made all night.

• Hook 'Em 1