2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I've watched Super Bowl XII a number of times, but I don't recall that I've ever watched a YouTube video of the 1977 NFC Championship game against the Vikings that sent the Cowboys to the Super Bowl that year.

Watching this, I'm struck by two things.  1) How boring just about anyone of the previous 2-3 generations would find the offensive play, and 2) The tackling.  There's just no defenders lowering their heads and trying to knock a guy down with their shoulder(s).  Tacklers keep their heads up, and bring their arms to wrap up on every tackle.

My God, how I miss that second part.

Nearly spit my drink out laughing.  Another way things have changed:  Toward the end of the game, the color guy says, "Roger (Staubach) runs like a sissy, doesn't he?"  LMAO

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/24/2024 at 9:46 PM, Hate said:

After the great big middle finger JJ gave every single Cowboys fan when he announced McCarthy will be back, I am officially done with this team.  I was already apathetic, but now I genuinely dislike this team.  The only player I really give a shit about is Micah and I mostly feel sorry for him...he's DeMarcus Ware 2.0.  A HOF caliber player that will have to leave to win a title after trying for most of his career in Dallas.  Romo is Dak 2.0. Same as it ever was.  I'm officially out until JJ is under ground.  I fucking HATE what he has done to the Cowboys.

I don't think JJ going room temperature will make much difference with his imbecile spawn taking charge.  The only way the Cowboys return to winning form is for the Jones family to sell them to someone else.  

If you really want a shock, start that Cowboys Vikings video at 1:15:00 and watch for a couple of minutes.

I watched all these old playoff games during COVID while working from home and I thought I was hallucinating when I saw this.

• Like 1

Vikings vid is VHQ. Saw Safety Harris - was Phil his first name. Wonder if Charlie Waters was in that game. Six years later, Dorsett breaks his 99-yd TD run from scrimmage against the Vikes. We all knew at the time it had to be the longest in history and that it would never be broken. Dorsett was fucking awesome. His rushing records stood until Emmett came along. Smith was no slouch either.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Nice, GTFO asshole. Although, he'll probably dominate Fat Mike as long as he's there, since he knows his tendency to do the same shit over and over even if it doesn't work.

That will be countered by his tendency to allow receivers to run wide open all over the field.

So it appears he’s like the 7th choice. I wonder if he got more money than Fat Mike’s meager $4 mil a year.

How do you sell that hire as the new owner with the hotshot basketball dude? Out of everyone out there, we’re hiring Mr 28-3. The dude that collapsed against a really young packers team.

He might take Joe Whitt as his DC.

What's going to be telling is the DC hire. Will it be a young innovative guy who can adjust to modern offenses? Of course not, that type of coach won't be one of Jerry's perferred yes men. It'll be some old ass boring retread who sucks shit, guaranteed. Is Rod Marinelli still alive? Jerry would probably be happy to Weekend and Bernies him to ensure only Jerry ever gets credit for anything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

It occurs to me that Jerry's plan is to hire an OC - and now a DC. His tight ass can squeeze out enough money for that level, but to get the very best, he's gonna have to promise one that if your Offense (or Defense) shines, you will be the head coach when FatLazy's contract runs out. He'll throw in that "you have to continue to exhibit the leadership of an HC, but we already know you got that." Now with two Coordinator slots open, he can play one against the other for that HC position. Make the same promise to both.

Also, he can tell each coordinator candidate "Look, you can just ignore anything the Fat Fuck tells you. Do your job and make your Offense (Defense) shine, and you'll be a shoe-in come next season."

The plan could work. If you're a cheapskate, how else you gonna get a young, innovative HC ala Shanahan?

15 hours ago, TornACL said:

If you really want a shock, start that Cowboys Vikings video at 1:15:00 and watch for a couple of minutes.

I watched all these old playoff games during COVID while working from home and I thought I was hallucinating when I saw this.

And back to the game. Nothing much to see there...

43 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I find it odd that some of yall are buying into the recency bias with Dan Quinn. He was a great DC, to the point where he is now a HC.

We are aggy.

Man, it don't make a shit either way. This organization has way, way deeper problems than the name of the defensive coordinator.

Worrying about losing DQ is like saying my haircut is gonna cost me a chance to fuck Ana de Armas. Technically, sure, she's not fucking any dudes with bad haircuts. But the truth is, I'm never going to even get within 500 yards of Ana de Armas in the first place. Per the judge's order.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

I find it odd that some of yall are buying into the recency bias with Dan Quinn. He was a great DC, to the point where he is now a HC.

We are aggy.

Well the most recent game was as pathetic a defensive performance as I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been an OSU fan since the late 90s. Let a no name qb carve him up nonstop for an entire game in the first round of the playoffs is not offset by some decent regular season performances. Fuck him, he deserves Washington and vice versa, hope the stadium crumbles in him and their jackass new owner.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:25 AM, Radical Larry said:

It’s going to be Ron Rivera.

The convenient thing about hiring Rivera is that it buys you at least 3 years before you have to fire him. He's gas station food -- filled a void but nothing exciting. 

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

"Zimmer spent the 2023 campaign away from the game but studying current trends as part of an effort to return to the sidelines."

So there... it will all be just fine.

Was he in a barn?  It only works if he was studying in a barn.

Edited by Surly Bevo

14 hours ago, DougO said:

"Zimmer spent the 2023 campaign away from the game but studying current trends as part of an effort to return to the sidelines."

So there... it will all be just fine.

Oh goodie, at least he is well rested.  67 year old DC trying to adapt to hybrid college/nfl offenses. 

giphy.gif