2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

Jerry and his comfort hires. First he recycled through Jimmy's staff, then he kept the wrong Parcels disciple and now he requires a guy to have 30 years in the league with moderate success. Bienemy has some years to go before Jerry gives him a look. Still too young, but his resume is lining up for Jerry's liking.  

He is so stubborn and has only an inkling of what to do with roster and staff. 

We all know how the Zimmerman hire will go, good regular season, shitty postseason, ends up the head coach when fat boy is canned. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

Jerry and his comfort hires. First he recycled through Jimmy's staff, then he kept the wrong Parcels disciple and now he requires a guy to have 30 years in the league with moderate success. Bienemy has some years to go before Jerry gives him a look. Still too young, but his resume is lining up for Jerry's liking.  

We all know how the Zimmerman hire will go, good regular season, shitty postseason, ends up the head coach when fat boy is canned. 

Meanwhile, after that shit show playoff loss, Jerruh extended this guy's contract:

image.thumb.png.e3a2bebcde027eaee8271af873df5d95.png

We're George.

im-george2.gif?w=355

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dewey said:

Yup, you know this is what will happen. Nobody young and innovative wants to work for Jerry, and Jerry doesn’t want a young guy getting any credit. So it’ll be Zimmer who will be HC at 70. Fuck Jerry.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jerry and the Big Flounder ran off Zimmer in his prime with the number 1 defense so Parcells could totally rebuild the defense to his familiar old style 3-4, which he never got done, until he was replaced by Wade, to some degree.

Now Jerry may bring back Zimmer, an old school 4-3 guy to tear down Quinn's gimmicky defense and start from scratch needing new types of player. Totally different philosophies. Gonna take more years to get it on track.

The circle is complete. 

I'd be on either team Harris or team Whitt. At least they can work with the players they have, tweak the current system to something less all or nothing, some ideas to have the ability to adjust and slow down the run when teams have their shit figured out. 

I don't think Jerry really understands the current league trend of younger, bright coaches that know the workings of the game beyond the 20th century.

Edited by DougO

Jerry trying to get an interview with buddy Ryan thru Rex.

He’s also interviewing wink Martindale. Another fossil.

I don’t think anyone wants to come here with fat Mike on a one year deal.

Next will probably be JubJub or that Hello Ben car wreck lawyer.

I don't think that's the issue as much as Jerry Jones has no chance of identifying an up an comer.  I don't think a current assistant on a future DC track somewhere is going to turn down the Cowboys DC job because of the HC will soon likely be fired.  His contract is going to get him paid even if a new regime takes over, and if the defense looks good, he's going to easily get another job.  Outside of a few franchises no one really has much HC stability.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/7/2024 at 2:18 PM, Pam Cummings said:

Yep, nobody who is a good up and comer wants to come to Dallas with a dead man walking as HC. I'd imagine Zimmer and Ryan would be hoping to get a shot as the HC after a mid season firing.

Jerry isnt doing that.  That would mean he mad the wrong choice by bringing him back!

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Hester is a hall of famer for sure. Best return man ever. Felt like he'd house it every time.

In 2006 and 2007 when he housed 11 of his 19 return TDs sure.  Over the other 9 years of his career, many of them with a donut hole there (2010 and 2011 were other seasons where he shined) nah.  He accounted for 647 AP yards a season and scored 36 TDs (so 3 and some change a season) over an 11-year career. That doesn't belong in the HOF.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

In 2006 and 2007 when he housed 11 of his 19 return TDs sure.  Over the other 9 years of his career, many of them with a donut hole there (2010 and 2011 were other seasons where he shined) nah.  He accounted for 647 AP yards a season and scored 36 TDs (so 3 and some change a season) over an 11-year career. That doesn't belong in the HOF.  

He's the best ever at returning kicks. I think being the best ever to do something at any position is hall of fame worthy.

He's the best ever at returning kicks. I think being the best ever to do something at any position is hall of fame worthy.

Does that include long snapper? Holder? Get back coach? So who would contribute more on a team? The great Darren Woodson, or Devin Hester. Woodson should be in the HoF over several of these duds but especially Hester.
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:12 AM, Hermanator said:

If he just puts Parsons back to linebacker who situationally rushes it's already an upgrade. I couldn't believe DQ kept him at DE full time for a 2nd straight year after watching him get worn down by week 12 the season before. 

I tend to agree with this. Not only wears him down, but limits his amazing ability to use his speed an instincts making plays all over the field. They can disguise his rushes more and keep offenses guessing.

19 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Zimmer's a fucking retread

retread.jpg

Stretch bit don't break defensive philosophy.

Parsons was not served well by DQ basically letting him do whatever the fuck he wanted to do. He overrushes and overpersues in that role and teams just either block him out of the play or run away from him. Hopefully Zimmer uses him more strategically and he gets back to form. He’s not a lineman. And Zimmer will know how to hopefully get Mazi utilized properly. DQ has zero ability to defend the middle of the field.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:11 PM, slorch said:

USATSI_5466938.jpg

That was such a fun season.  You could see things were really heading in the right direction.  Beating Chicago at Soldier Field still meant a little something then. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:12 AM, Hermanator said:

If he just puts Parsons back to linebacker who situationally rushes it's already an upgrade. I couldn't believe DQ kept him at DE full time for a 2nd straight year after watching him get worn down by week 12 the season before. 

Yep.  The fact that Fat Mike can't even recognize that Micah is a better version of one of his own former players (Clay Matthews) and utilize him in a similar manner is idiotic in and of itself.  

On 2/11/2024 at 6:41 AM, Underdog said:

Was fun back then to go down to St. Ed’s and watch training camp a few times. 

Yes sir.  A female friend and I were looking for an apartment one year.  Long story short, she had the cash and credit score, so she got more of the say-so.  One of the spots we looked at was a block from the field.  I damn near resorted to begging her to pick this spot. I did get a cool pic one time of Troy, Aikman, and Irvin standing side-by-side from about 5 feet back once.  I need to see if I can find that.