This team is scary good

ztejas

5 minutes ago, B00M said:

I’ll admit I expected a quicker turnaround from PK. We saw Diaz and Orlando produce great defenses in year 1 only to fall apart… if it took PK a little longer to get it going, but it’s sustainable, I’ll happily accept that. Shit’s looking nasty right now. 

Diaz inherited an NFL defense (and Gideon). Orlando had an impressive back-7 (8 in his defense) in 2017.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Is this the thread where we talk about how the team is shaping up as each week goes by, or fucking kansas bullshit?

Anyway, I'm a bitch made pussy that's come around on PK. I still think our secondary is suspect, but the turnaround on defense has been impressive. 

I thought we'd go 8-4 again at the start of the season, but now I'm revising that to 10-2.  Sark needs to stop fucking around on 1st down and we need to stop shooting ourselves in the dick at inopportune times, but our schedule looks weak and we are improving.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to This team is scary good
34 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

How does this team compare to the '05 team? The '05 team had superman at QB and perhaps better RBs, OL, and secondary. This team perhaps has better DL and TE rooms. The WR group is probably a push. Thoughts?

2005 team had a far better secondary, especially safeties/nickel. Griffin Brothers, Huff, Tarrell Brown, and Aaron Ross at CB.

QB goes without saying. RB is pretty obvious with JC and RT.

2005 OL may not have been physically stronger, but was smarter and more cohesive. However, having VY as QB greatly magnifies apparent OL strength.

• Hook 'Em 1

How does this team compare to the '05 team? The '05 team had superman at QB and perhaps better RBs, OL, and secondary. This team perhaps has better DL and TE rooms. The WR group is probably a push. Thoughts?

Look, I like Limas Sweed and Billy Pittman but I think the current wideouts are and will be considered the better bunch when the season is over, especially if you lump Sanders in with the WR group.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Someone woke up being a snappy little bitch this morning. Where in any way did I slam PK for how long it took? I'm fully aware what he was working with from the Herman era. I loved his defense at Washington and we're FINALLY there. 

If Washington had PK and this defense with the offense they have this year, that would be some scary shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I’d take the current receivers. Sanders is a bad ass at TE, but Thomas would also feast in this offense, imo.

2005 Texas -17 or so, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

For me, it’s one week at a time. Other teams improve week to week as well. Some more than others, and as we have seen time and time again, most, if not all teams get up for us in the B12.

Defense looks to be salty, and making the most of what they have. Offense is a tale of two halves. We need to do a better job of starting the game, finishing drives with points, especially in the first quarter. If they can do that, we may see more backups getting significant reps earlier in the second half.

This week is all about stealing Kansas lunch money, and hearing the lamentations of their women!

Let the B12 farewell fuck fest continue!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Someone woke up being a snappy little bitch this morning. Where in any way did I slam PK for how long it took? I'm fully aware what he was working with from the Herman era. I loved his defense at Washington and we're FINALLY there. 

I purposefully stayed away from the game thread last night, 'cause I knew what I would find on there.  Yes, I shouted "F******CK!!!" at the top of my lungs after the 2nd muffed punt, but I didn't run to the board just to ridicule a hard working kid that already knew he screwed up.

This morning I woke up happy (above ground), opened Surly, and dove in head first ..., and what did I read?

You mean other than "... PK is finally doing what I had hope he would do on defense when he was hired."

Finally?

Year 1 he had no zero impact on recruiting, and inherited a mindset of entitlement and players sitting back on their heals and watching people run by you. 

Year 2 he had 2 DL and a LB drafted and a LB that should have been B12 Defensive POY.

This year, Year 3, he has put on the field one of the strongest defenses in college football.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

He’s always like that

I will wait patiently to volcano on all the "Seven win Steve" people on here, scorn those you say, "I will eat crow" and think all is forgiven, and then smile and watch the axles bend from all the weight on the bandwagon. 

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Some of us can't handle success

Some here have the patience of a gnat, thick success is a point and click away, and think being born on 3rd base is the same as hitting a triple.

• Hook 'Em 5

Comparisons to the 2005 team were covered ad nauseam on two other threads.

In retrospect the concerns about PK early on were a bit ridiculous given that he inherited assistant coaches, had “all hat no cattle” players at key positions, and generally runs a scheme that takes a little time to implement.

This team is good, but I’m not sure it can overcome playing really bad (penalties, turnovers, mistakes) against better teams.  We will see.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

05 team crushes this one

You think so? I have a hard time believing that any team (past or present) would crush this team, especially given our stout Dline and offensive weapons. I will give an edge (6/10) to the '05 team however.

Edited by UTEE97

I also think our secondary is suspect. Especially if fucjing taafe keeps playing.  But our d line will cover that up tes will have to go to quick strike stuff so hopefully we can tighten up.  Our s line won’t allow 3-4 second drops. But deep balls still continue to hurt us even if there’s been no real damage 

Glad you brought that up. Unfucking unforgivable that you don't give your backup qb some decent playing time when you have a comfortable lead. We didn't need much to win that Alabama game in 09. One or two completions, as I recall.

Yeah. Of course, calling every series as:

Run
Run
Pass

didn’t help GG out very much.

A part of the reason why the '05 team was so good was because of VY. We were down big to OkState in the first half iirc, which seemed to be a common occurrence while VY played at Texas, and VY single handedly brought us back just like how he willed us to win against USC. Without VY, the '05 team is probably not vastly superior to this team. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Reggie bush pitched a ball to air in the national championship game and helped us win a title lol. What team doesn’t shoot themselves in the dick? Wtf are some of you assholes talking about, I swear it’s like I’m playing poker with my brothers kids. We are showing that this team can overcome setbacks, that’s championship caliber. Period. It’s not preferable to fuck up on ST, or fumble but that shit is going to happen. We are going to shit stomp Kansas, rock chalk can eabod. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Vermin said:

lbs.thumb.png.2b5c7bf2d609c3e331c8897833e7345b.png

Everyone sorta yadda yaddas over the 05 linebackers... USC did end up with 209 rushing yards without a running QB.

Yeah, a non mobile QB (Heisman Winner) and two unknown running backs... what were there names again... oh yeah, Heisman winner Bush and future NFL RB White lol

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

05 was scary good.  so far this team is 'solid' with room to improve.

Scary good doesn’t go down 28-12 to a dog shit ok state team that’s 3-5 with the greatest college football player of all time playing QB. I’d say that’s really good with some room for improvement. Lol 

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

05 was scary good.  so far this team is 'solid' with room to improve.

This.  I can see Sanders as better than Thomas but that is it.  and the gap on QB, OL, DB is wide.  DL is not even. Plus the 05 team had just come off an 11-1 season in 04.  Lets see these guys manhandle OU this year and go from there.

In the end, it is going to be hard to ever compare any longhorn team to 05 because VY changes everything.  I'd think 08/09 is better to try to compare to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I can’t even believe people are comparing this team to ‘05. Absurd. 

Yeah, I'm honestly confused people would even suggest that shit.

Do we have a bunch of Gen Z folks on the board now?

This team is a mistake prone, play to the level of the competition squad who show flashes of brilliance and are overall pretty solid.  The '05 squad was a bunch of fucking killers who knew they were better than you and weren't going to let you forget it.  And with some VY magic sprinkled on top to ensure you would never lose no matter the circumstances.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1