Iowa - Glorying In the Nepotism of the Ferentz Family

closetojumping

On 10/21/2023 at 8:37 PM, Vic Mackey said:

.ebad1e26b18c3561600f98085941d8ef.jpg

I almost want to watch to see how it’s possible to gain 2 yards in a half. 

Also, isn’t that the correct call on the fair catch? He’s flailing his arms and looks like he’s waiving people off but he is actually approaching the ball and eventually picked it up, if I’m on the cover team I can’t see the ball and might consider it a fair catch signal and back off.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I almost want to watch to see how it’s possible to gain 2 yards in a half. 

Also, isn’t that the correct call on the fair catch? He’s flailing his arms and looks like he’s waiving people off but he is actually approaching the ball and eventually picked it up, if I’m on the cover team I can’t see the ball and might consider it a fair catch signal and back off.

Yes. Pretty much any waving is an invalid signal.  There's even a specific example of waving off teammates in the rulebook.

Edited by JBJ

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I know these people. Not literally, but I can make an educated guess.

They live in Marion. He works for his Dad’s insurance office in Cedar Rapids, but it isn’t going very well. He walked beans for his great uncle once in 1993 and likes to tell people he “basically grew up on the farm”. After 5 Busch Lights (which he incessantly refers to as “Lattes”), he likes to comment about how he doesn’t understand why everyone hates Nickleback, because they “fucking rip”.

She’s a dental hygienist. Grew up in Oelwein. They met on the dance at floor at Sharky’s in Cedar Falls when she was going to UNI and he was living in an apartment in Waterloo, selling weed but telling everyone he went to Hawkeye CC. She was kinda going through a black dude phase but wasn’t sure how her folks would react, and hey, this guy’s dad had a little cash. So she settled. She’s yelled “No laws when you’re on the Claws!” at least 25 times today. She was in a pyramid scheme based around selling dildos about 10 years ago and still uses “business owner” to describe herself on social media.

Their kids, Hayden and Kaizeleigh, are assholes.

I only know one insurance agent in Iowa. He’s a former Cyclone football player. 😂

But your scenario is very plausible. 

• Haha 3

On 10/23/2023 at 9:12 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

They live in Marion. He works for his Dad’s insurance office in Cedar Rapids, but it isn’t going very well. He walked beans for his great uncle once in 1993 and likes to tell people he “basically grew up on the farm”. After 5 Busch Lights (which he incessantly refers to as “Lattes”), he likes to comment about how he doesn’t understand why everyone hates Nickleback, because they “fucking rip”.

She’s a dental hygienist. Grew up in Oelwein. They met on the dance at floor at Sharky’s in Cedar Falls when she was going to UNI and he was living in an apartment in Waterloo, selling weed but telling everyone he went to Hawkeye CC. She was kinda going through a black dude phase but wasn’t sure how her folks would react, and hey, this guy’s dad had a little cash. So she settled. She’s yelled “No laws when you’re on the Claws!” at least 25 times today. She was in a pyramid scheme based around selling dildos about 10 years ago and still uses “business owner” to describe herself on social media.

Specific GIF by Harlem

On 10/23/2023 at 9:12 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

This is a masterpiece.  Bravo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

This sort of sums up Iowa fans' hope.

Iowa under Kirk Ferentz can absolutely, positively make a 12-team playoff if they decided to give half-a-deuce about upgrading their offensive scheme and recruiting the players to make that scheme work. But we know they wont until New Kirk rides off into the sunset.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2023/10/30/23938421/iowa-hawkeye-football-monday-musings-apathy-kirk-brian-ferentz-offense-bhgp

Don't know how realistic that is. Iowa's defense is and has been great. I do not believe Kirk Ferentz has it in him to allow a prolific enough offense to carry them to the playoff. I think Greg Davis is about as exotic as Kirk Ferentz can be.

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I would guess that story came from someone misinterpreting news that B. Ferentz would not be returning...next year.

what the story didn't tell you is that he won't be returning as OC because his daddy is stepping down, and sonny will be the new HC.

RIGHT?

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Has a coordinator ever worked knowing that they're gone after the season? Usually if you're shitcanned you move on and the program appoints an interim. Smells even more like nepotism in his firing.

Brian:

2 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I imagine they’ll regret alienating their most successful coach in school history

They said the same thing when we fired Mack Brown and immediately started winning national titles with Chuck Strong.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

On 10/25/2023 at 4:41 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Thanks.  These people immediately struck me as a form of Midwesterner white trash that have the trappings of mild affluence and no class to go with it.

“Mild affluence and no class” is a pretty damn solid alt country album name. 
I’d listen to that.

• Like 1

What the living hell? He’s never EVER canned a coordinator or seen a coordinator canned? Is Iowa some bizarro universe where nepotism is legally required and nobody gets canned no matter how bad you are?

"I've been here 34 years now, two different times, and I've never witnessed a coordinator being relieved of his duties," Kirk Ferentz, an Iowa assistant from 1981 to 1989, told ESPN in August. 

Brian Ferentz will not return as Iowa offensive coordinator in 2024

Brian Ferentz will not return as Iowa's offensive coordinator in 2024, the program announced Monday. The news was first reported Monday morning by Hawkeye Report.  The son of head coach Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz has been on his father's staff since 2012, and his offensive coordinator since 2017. 

Great quote:  "Which makes one wonder: if Kirk Ferentz has finally recognized that his son is not the right offensive coordinator for Iowa tomorrow, why is he still employed today? "

https://footballscoop.com/news/report-brian-ferentz-not-expected-to-return-as-iowa-offensive-coordinator

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great quote:  "Which makes one wonder: if Kirk Ferentz has finally recognized that his son is not the right offensive coordinator for Iowa tomorrow, why is he still employed today? "

https://footballscoop.com/news/report-brian-ferentz-not-expected-to-return-as-iowa-offensive-coordinator

Because the new interim AD made the call, finally.