THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I wonder how many people there are who, like you, seem to not understand the meaning of the Yormark SEC chant was a polite way of saying "Fuck you Yormark" and not some kind of pointless SEC flex. Alabama, which also has close wins, is not jumping over us when we have h2h on them. They may and should jump over FSU.

yes, it was for Yormark, BUT the dripping irony if Bama gets in over us because the SEC is the best conference based on legend. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

I must’ve missed when Liberty beat LSU, Florida, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, Duke… this is similar to me asking when you stopped beating your wife. 

The point is it isn't just the games, never has been. There is always subjective criteria, it's all about where you draw the line.

Those teams are all ass btw.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Another way of looking at SOS. If it matters to the committee and head to head matters like they said, then it may be enough for Alabama to overtake FSU with their undefeated championship win. I have it like this. This way, OOC games will continue to be scheduled like Texas and Alabama or tOSU and Oklahoma, otherwise teams won't do that, especially when the playoff games expand. Going undefeated to earn your spot should very important but does it overcome the other two factors? Remember the TCU example when they gave them the nod for going undefeated in a weak ass Big 12 year. I'm sure the committee remembers.

The counterpoint to your OOC games argument is FSU/LSU, which FSU won.  The SEC shit the bed in meaningful OOC games this season.  That should matter, but we'll have to wait and see if it does to the committee.  To be clear, Texas is in, and the last spot will come down to FSU and Alabama.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, CockadoodleHorn said:

What is ridiculous is Georgia had key players that were hobbling around the entire game.  Most good teams would have beaten them yesterday.  Great win for Bama but their problem is they lost to us.  

That's where the "best" argument loses. Georgia is arguably a better team than everyone including Bama if you don't use the on field results.

Vegas likely would still make Georgia a favorite if they played Alabama tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

The most appealing Championship game with the most hype/backstory and manufactured dramatic bullshit would be Texas vs. Bama.

The Rematch 

The Teacher vs the Pupil

Two Historic College Football Programs 

Iconic Uniforms and Mascots

This.   I think the committee still remembers what a monkey-fuck last years game with TCU was vs GA.   It was an awful, awful game.   I don’t know the ratings, but everyone I knew turned it off before it was over.   That would be FSU with their 3rd string QB and dogshit offense.  It would resemble the Iowa game last night.   Slow.  Boring.  And slowly one team would pull away

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That's where the "best" argument loses. Georgia is arguably a better team than everyone including Bama if you don't use the on field results.

Vegas likely would still make Georgia a favorite if they played Alabama tomorrow.

They had their shot.  

20 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

The most appealing Championship game with the most hype/backstory and manufactured dramatic bullshit would be Texas vs. Bama.

The Rematch 

The Teacher vs the Pupil

Two Historic College Football Programs 

Iconic Uniforms and Mascots

No thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Georgia wasn’t some dominant team this year. They seem to struggle a lot. It’s not like they were constantly destroying people like in the past.

Come on, bro. UT Martin, Ball State, and UAB are a Murderer's Row of an OOC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The only logical ranking is:

1 Michigan 

2 Washington

3 Texas

4 FSU/Bama debate

No, this is the only logical approach:

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If Bama is in, we're the 3. If FSU is in, we're the 4. I hope we're the 4 just to get the Rose Bowl but I can live with gumbo and hurricanes. 

You can't put Texas over FSU because they are better right now, but not Alabama. Conversely, if you defer to 13-0 and it comes down to Texas vs Alabama for the last spot, that is an easy decision. Texas 3, FSU 4 is logically inconsistent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

You can't put Texas over FSU because they are better right now, but not Alabama. Conversely, if you defer to 13-0 and it comes down to Texas vs Alabama for the last spot, that is an easy decision. Texas 3, FSU 4 is logically inconsistent. 

Texas is a better team than FSU full stop including the loss. You can jump them. If it’s a Texas FSU debate Texas is in over FSU 10/10 times. It’s the bama FSU debate that is raging. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MrX said:

We kept Penix in check during the bowl game last year. He was pretty inefficient. They ran the ball all over our ass and that’s why we lost. 

Yeah, I'm still going back and forth on if I want the 3 or 4 seed. I would not be overly excited to have to potentially beat Bama twice, so if we're assuming we'd be the 4 seed if FSU gets in, I think that's my choice. 

Times are Eastern

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2023/11/college-football-playoff-selection-day-studio-shows-delve-into-postseason-from-every-angle-bowl-season-preview-programming-brimming-with-analysis-and-insight/

College Football Playoff Selection Show Highlights:

• College Football Playoff teams revealed at 12:15 p.m.; New Year’s Six matchups at 2:30 p.m.
  • Rece Davis hosts for 10th consecutive year
  • Kirk HerbstreitJoey GallowayBooger McFarland and Greg McElroy join Davis for the exclusive rankings reveal
  • Several commentators will contribute to the show, including Chris FowlerRobert Griffin IIIDan Orlovsky, Sam Acho, Matt BarrieDan Mullen and Paul Finebaum. Coaches and other guests are also expected to join, including CFP Selection Committee chair Boo Corrigan
  • CFP insiders Pete Thamel and Heather Dinich will also join, with Dinich live from the CFP Committee headquarters at The Gaylord Texan hotel
  • ESPN will have reporters at top team sites across the country, including:
    • Alabama: Marty Smith
    • Florida State: Harry Lyles Jr.
    • Georgia: Laura Rutledge
    • Michigan: Jen Lada
    • Ohio State: Adam Rittenberg
    • Oregon: Holly Rowe
    • Texas: Kris Budden
    • Washington: Molly McGrath
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Probably closer to 1 EST. It starts at noon, but they will have their dog and pony show to milk the ad dollars.

I admit I haven't ever watched one of these live since it's been irrelevant to Texas. I would think they get on with it after 10-15 mins to have the spotlight before people start migrating to NFL games.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’s the most logical because of the Texas/Bama h2h. 

the debate now is for the committee decides on deserving vs best between FSU/Bama

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Texas is a better team than FSU full stop including the loss. You can jump them. If it’s a Texas FSU debate Texas is in over FSU 10/10 times. It’s the bama FSU debate that is raging. 

This. I don't see any way the committee has FSU in at #3. They/bama are at #4. Putting FSU in a #3 is a real screw job to the #1 seed and I just can't see the committee doing that.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, I'm still going back and forth on if I want the 3 or 4 seed. I would not be overly excited to have to potentially beat Bama twice, so if we're assuming we'd be the 4 seed if FSU gets in, I think that's my choice. 

We'd get U-Dub as the #3 seed, right? I'm okay with a Bama rematch for the National Championship.

Playing Michigan first as the #4 will be ideal, though.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s the most logical because of the Texas/Bama h2h. 

the debate now is for the committee decides on deserving vs best between FSU/Bama

If you seed Texas over FSU because Texas is better right now, there is no FSU/Bama debate. Bama would also wreck FSU today. This is not rocket surgery guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, gmr548 said:

If you seed Texas over FSU because Texas is better right now, there is no FSU/Bama debate. Bama would also wreck FSU today. This is not rocket surgery guys.

You’re quite literally making it rocket surgery. Unequivocally the top 3 are Michigan, Washington, Texas. The debate is the 4th spot and is what the committee didn’t want period. 

25 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not so sure, I thought Georgia looked pretty pedestrian yesterday.  I honestly haven't watched them play much this year, so maybe the last couple weeks are a byproduct of some of the injuries or just bad days.  That said, I'm certainly enjoying the desperation coming out of Georgia right now.  I guess it's Kirby's job to fight to the end, but the optics are delightfully pathetic.   

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Correct. Texas should be 4. It is the most defensible position for a committee leaving out Bama. Texas will be 3 if Bama is in.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

This. I don't see any way the committee has FSU in at #3. They/bama are at #4. Putting FSU in a #3 is a real screw job to the #1 seed and I just can't see the committee doing that.

This is the only reason they would seed FSU #4. I don't think they would come out and say it but it would basically be "We felt like we had to put the 13-0 team in but it would be really weird to give the 2 seed a bye instead of the 1 seed." Their actual outward explanation, whatever it is, would make no sense.

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]