THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Hondo said:

Says we only beat Alabama because Milroe was raw (and now he's all-world).

"If Texas had to go to Tuscaloosa today, they'd get thrashed."

Hell, that pisses me off and I'm just an alumnus/fan.  If I actually played on the team, I'd want to skull drag every player that lined up in front of me tomorrow.  They should mainline this shit into their veins between now and the CFP game(s).

Milroe is the exact same guy he was when we played. Nothing about his game has changed 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The funny part of all of this is we were getting in no matter what happened on Saturday (with a Texas win of course).

We didn't need a Georgia L or a FSU L. 

I disagree. If Bama had lost, they would have had 

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Washington
4. Texas / FSU

It would have been way easer to justify leaving out a 1 loss Texas vs a 0 loss FSU, and I think they would have done so.

However, since Bama won - they had to decide whether or not to leave out the SEC champ that just beat Georgia, which was a much harder proposition. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Washington
4. Texas / FSU

It would have been way easer to justify leaving out a 1 loss Texas vs a 0 loss FSU, and I think they would have done so.

However, since Bama won - they had to decide whether or not to leave out the SEC champ that just beat Georgia, which was a much harder proposition. 

I don't think so but we are all guessing. 

I think it's pretty obvious they watched the last couple of weeks with FSU's QB issues and knew they weren't anywhere close to a top 4 team. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Question for anyone who has been paying more attention than me to the playoffs over the years (which is pretty much everyone):  have any playoff teams had elite draft-eligible players sit out any game(s)?

Kyler Murray and Cee Dee Lamb sat out their game against Alabama until garbage time, aka the second quarter.

• Haha 2

I can believe no one used the term "SEC" in the meeting. But they know damn well what's at stake if they downgrade Bama.

While I don't feel the slightest bit for FSU and their fans, those two backup QBs got a really raw deal. Basically their entire program was sent to the kiddie table because they couldn't score a couple TDs. It's good that there are two of them otherwise one dude would be a college football Buckner/Bartman for life.

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think so but we are all guessing. 

I think it's pretty obvious they watched the last couple of weeks with FSU's QB issues and knew they weren't anywhere close to a top 4 team. 

then why were they ranked exactly that before Saturday?

21 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

There is no way in fucking hell they didn't talk about SEC, no way in fucking hell.

if they talk about SOS it is implied. They talk about conf champs and everyone knows which conf the team is from.   They know Bama beat the team they had at #1 all year at neutral site.  They know FSU has no real shot after seeing 2 QB's and their O look like ass.  Had they looked better on O in one of the games they might have gotten a pass.

It does suck because they played 11 P5 teams and beat them all but they also, as a conf, made their own bed by helping to hold up the expansion this year.  They weren't helped by the ACC SOS either.

This only happens with a QB having a season ending injury and not having a decent backup to run the O.  Their running game was good all year 214 ypgame.  yet they only had 90 v FLA and 77 v Louisville because teams could load the box.  It was only going to get worse against better teams.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bobby Layne said:

I’m still struggling with the “conference pride” issue. SEC perfected it and it’s useful for SOS, now SOR blah blah blah. Media cucks blah blah blah. But I can’t root for “Rig 12 teams” this year. And most years. Sometimes a team will earn respect and I’ll support em. But not this blanket amnesty for teams that wish to do us harm. I don’t do SECSEC unless it’s to mock the aggies. That’s over now. We can and should be classy and still have “Texas against the world” mentality. Ain’t nobody gon help us! Nobody ran to our aid when the Japanese bombed the Alamo!  Right? 

I think anyone who chants SEC-SEC-SEC after we join the conference should lose season ticket privileges.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I think that there are a lot of people that a) truly don't know the criteria for the CFB or b) don't understand why it is the way it is.

The thing about college football is it's a complete anomaly in sports, there is absolutely nothing like it. The closest thing I can come up with is Champion's League soccer, and that is different in a lot of ways because of the simplicity of the game compared to American football. There is no other sport that attempts to rank and crown a champion of such disparate and disconnected teams. When people try and compare two CFB teams by defensive stats, offensive rankings, wins, losses, etc... they are not comparing apples to apples. A yard FSU gained against North Alabama is not equivalent to a yard Alabama gain against Georgia. A point Michigan scored against Iowa is not equal to a point Texas scored against Alabama. Some of these teams are playing practically another sport from others. So the committee has very specific criteria which doesn't necessarily follow simplistic thinking, and it's for good reason. They told everyone till they were blue in the face that H2H was a huuuuge criteria, exactly because it's the only real way to sort two teams against each other. The notion that Bama would jump Texas was laughable, they were crystal clear in their intentions.

The way forward is expanded playoffs. Like Champion's League, top of every league gets in, then fight it out. Until then, selecting the four best teams took a different process than well so an so has x record or won y conference

• Hook 'Em 1

To be fair to the hilarious politicians, Florida is a “sunshine state” where the sunshine law makes all their government related shit transparent to the public. This is part of the reason why there’s so much “Florida man” stories, because it’s easily accessible information to funny weird shit that happens. In other states this information isn’t readily available to the public and press. 

I actually agree they should all be held accountable and have to show their work. If there’s all this “integrity” in the committee, why would they have anything to hide?

They obviously made the right decision. 

Florida state can prove everyone wrong and beat Georgia and claim the national championship if they want. UCF claimed one they can do the same if they want. 

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

If Ewers went down for the season and we look like how we looked against KSU for a couple of games with no chance of Ewers coming back I'd expect us to get dropped as well.

I don’t think there’s a team in the big12 as shitty as Louisville though. Jesus that was a beating watching them and rooting for them. 

Alabama kinda saved our asses because I’m not 1000% sure we get in over FSU if Georgia won. 

we got #3 because we beat Bama heads up. They beat the #1 team so they are in too. Makes perfect sense. 

Also, Sark with Tim Tebow at QB would still have 200 yards passing against Louisville. Having 55 yards passing and looking that shitty is unacceptable for a playoff team.  

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Washington
4. Texas / FSU

I don't know what they would have done.  FSU looked really, really bad.  So did Louisville.  Plummer made Case McCoy look like an All-American.

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I don’t think there’s a team in the big12 as shitty as Louisville though. Jesus that was a beating watching them and rooting for them. 

Alabama kinda saved our asses because I’m not 1000% sure we get in over FSU if Georgia won. 

we got #3 because we beat Bama heads up. They beat the #1 team so they are in too. Makes perfect sense. 

Also, Sark with Tim Tebow at QB would still have 200 yards passing against Louisville. Having 55 yards passing and looking that shitty is unacceptable for a playoff team.  

The Louisville QB was awful but FSU did have something to do with that.  I have no idea how they beat ND.

45 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I can believe no one used the term "SEC" in the meeting. But they know damn well what's at stake if they downgrade Bama.

While I don't feel the slightest bit for FSU and their fans, those two backup QBs got a really raw deal. Basically their entire program was sent to the kiddie table because they couldn't score a couple TDs. It's good that there are two of them otherwise one dude would be a college football Buckner/Bartman for life.

We got the shaft in 2008.  So I can't help feeling for FSU.

The BCS/Committee has frequently done it to Southwest teams.  Texas in 2008, Okie St. in 2011, TCU in 2014.

Either Bama should have been left out, or they leave out Washington for Georgia.

4 hours ago, Hondo said:

Says we only beat Alabama because Milroe was raw (and now he's all-world).

"If Texas had to go to Tuscaloosa today, they'd get thrashed."

Fucking lost the hypothetical bowl again.

Anyway it is Skip. I am sure he will announce that Texas was the most deserving team ever next week.

6 minutes ago, bullet said:

Yeah FSU got screwed. Glad this is the last year of this. In the future the conference champs are all getting in.

4 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

This year’s CFP Crap Sandwich Award goes to……. wait for it…..goes to…..

FSU!      Congrats!

Thank you!  Thank you so much.  Well, this is unexpected.  Well, actually not.  We suspected we could be the recipient, but all things just needed to fall in place just right.  And they did!  

First, much thanks needs to go here at home to FSU.  Thanks to our administration for very vocally earlier this year lobbying to leave a weak ACC.  That was integral to getting where we ended up on Sunday.  To that call out of the weak ACC, thank you FSU.  Also, to that point, thank you to the ACC (some applause).  Thank you Clemson, Miami, and Mack - where are you?  there - thank you.  I know I’m forgetting other crappy teams, so apologies in advance.  Now, Louisville (emotional pause), a special thanks to you for being so inept Saturday night.  For stepping on your dicks as you did.  Whoops, sorry to the censors for that! (hearty laughs).  You lost to a crappy SEC UK team and then dug deep to follow it up with so much help in being horribly bad on Saturday.  Credit to you.  We love you.

Now, credit to F - S - U!!!  Seven three and outs!! (Applause), nine punts!! (growing applause), 55 yards passing!! (thunderous applause).  We did it!!  We kept us out of the playoffs.  Again, thank you so much for this craptastic honor.  We want to be humble, but I’m sorry, we truly deserve it.

(FSU begins to exit stage, but returns to mic). Oh, wait, wait.  One more (looking directly at Big 10 and PAC 12, sitting next to ACC) I almost forgot to thank you for working so closely and so well with the ACC to effectively postpone the 12 team playoff this year.  Without your strong alliance, we would have made the playoffs this year and played Liberty, while avoiding OU who would have been left out even though ranked No. 12.  We couldn’t forget that strange and lovely coming together of the three of you all.  I’m sure Oregon, Penn State, and Ohio State are also very thankful for your immense efforts.  Thank you.

Ok, that’s all we got!  That music means we reached our time limit! (Alabama Alma mater starts playing in the background)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah FSU got screwed. 

I don't agree.  Five teams vying for four spots.  Very little clear indication of how good one conference is relative to another, because most P5 teams schedule cupcakes for all (or at least most) of their nonconference schedule.  Texas vs Alabama was the rare outlier.  Ironically, FSU actually played a couple of P5 (SEC) teams that are typically "good or better", but this year neither looked like world-beaters.

At any rate, it came down to Texas, Alabama and FSU.  One was going to be left out but that doesn't necessarily imply "screwed".

• Hook 'Em 1

intriguing WUT IF 

Let's take a look at how the 12-team playoff would look after the final CFP Rankings release of the 2023 season.

(9) Missouri at (8) Oregon
Winner advances to play (1) Michigan*

(12) Liberty* at (5) Florida State
Winner advances to play (4) Alabama

(11) Ole Miss at (6) Georgia
Winner advances to play (3) Texas*

(10) Penn State at (7) Ohio State
Winner advances to play (2) Washington*

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Same for Alabama. I don't know how that proves your point. 

I believe they saw B2B weekends of FSU looking like complete dog shit on offense and realized they weren't a top 4 team. 

The second string guy would have been back for the playoffs so they didn't think they were a playoff team before the last game and should have dropped them then.

Same for Alabama. I don't know how that proves your point. 
I believe they saw B2B weekends of FSU looking like complete dog shit on offense and realized they weren't a top 4 team. 

Stat I heard this morning:
Since Travis went down, FSU has been on defense for 38 series and gave up one TD.

Thats a top 4 defense and not even a discussion.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

If Ewers went down for the season and we look like how we looked against KSU for a couple of games with no chance of Ewers coming back I'd expect us to get dropped as well.

LOLz.  That would have just been setting the table for the hype train.  I would agree with you if your QB room  didn't look like it does.

d93ab-16560710288370-1920.jpg

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Since Travis went down, FSU has been on defense for 38 series and gave up one TD.

If they do that against Georgia they might end up #1 in the Coaches Poll if Michigan and Washington end up losing in the playoff. That's not nothing.

AFCA Coaches Poll

RK
TEAM
REC PTS
TREND
MichiganMichigan(51)
13-0 1535
2 13-0 1482
3 13-0 1358
AlabamaAlabama(3)
12-1 1351
  12-1 1351
6 12-1 1275
7 11-1 1187
8 11-2 1092
9 10-2 1023
-
10 10-2 952
-
11 10-2 932
-
12 10-2 898
-
LSULSU
9-3 796
-
14 9-3 707
15 10-3 642
16 9-3 633
-
17 10-3 426
-
18 9-3 423
SMUSMU
11-2 375
20 13-0 315
21 9-4 299
22 8-4 295
23 8-4 226
-
24 11-2 139
25 11-1 114
-

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

The BCS/Committee has frequently done it to Southwest teams.  Texas in 2008, Okie St. in 2011, TCU in 2014.

Either Bama should have been left out, or they leave out Washington for Georgia.

We did get the shaft, but it was not really due to the BCS, but rather to the Big XII three-way tie-breaking travesty that gave OU the nod to represent the South Division in the Conference Championship Game. Even though Texas had beaten OU 45-35, the BCS had OU ranked slightly higher than Texas (due to OU trouncing its last few opponents), and the Big XII used that as the tie-breaker. They should have taken the two highest ranked teams (thus eliminating Tech), and then used the H2H to give Texas the nod.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Washington
4. Texas / FSU

No. They’ve been very clear since the very start that they would factor in injuries to key players when making their decision. If FSU had destroyed Louisville 59-0 like tOSU did to Wisconsin in 2014, and if Texas had struggled with Okie State (or hadn’t even played in a CCG the way Baylor and TCU didn’t in ‘14), then FSU would’ve gotten in. But that’s not what happened. Louisville played a dreadful game and FSU still only scraped by. The 3rd string FSU QB played like hot garbage. The result of the SEC CCG didn’t matter, the winner was getting in based on either an undefeated season and #1 ranking for UGA or a 1-loss champion Bama who beat the #1 team. FSU played their way out. I think Texas was in even if their CCG win had been less decisive. (And as I said before was never ever going to get passed over by a 1-loss non-champ.)

It wasn’t a hard decision and the committee got it right. It sucks for FSU but they should’ve known it was going take extraordinary circumstances to keep their playoff hopes alive after they lost Jordan Travis. It shouldn’t have come as that much of a surprise. Maybe if they hadn’t also lost their 2nd string QB to injury then they would’ve made it in. But they did so they didn’t. Brock Glenn is no Cardale Jones.

Also, FUCK MICHIGAN!

:)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

First off, back out North Alabama since they aren’t a real team. Also, consider an average UF team was missing their QB. Thought I read that they lost their top two rushers in that game as well. Then ask yourself how they trailed North Alabama by two scores.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

intriguing WUT IF 

Let's take a look at how the 12-team playoff would look after the final CFP Rankings release of the 2023 season.

FSU is bitching cause they don’t get a bye then a home game. Actually they get the bye vs Liberty, which leaves #13-15 bitching cause they’re better than Liberty.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No. They’ve been very clear since the very start that they would factor in injuries to key players when making their decision. If FSU had destroyed Louisville 59-0 like tOSU did to Wisconsin in 2014, and if Texas had struggled with Okie State (or hadn’t even played in a CCG the way Baylor and TCU didn’t in ‘14), then FSU would’ve gotten in. But that’s not what happened. Louisville played a dreadful game and FSU still only scraped by. The 3rd string FSU QB played like hot garbage. The result of the SEC CCG didn’t matter, the winner was getting in based on either an undefeated season and #1 ranking for UGA or a 1-loss champion Bama who beat the #1 team. FSU played their way out. I think Texas was in even if their CCG win had been less decisive. (And as I said before was never ever going to get passed over by a 1-loss non-champ.)

It wasn’t a hard decision and the committee got it right. It sucks for FSU but they should’ve known it was going take extraordinary circumstances to keep their playoff hopes alive after they lost Jordan Travis. It shouldn’t have come as that much of a surprise. Maybe if they hadn’t also lost their 2nd string QB to injury then they would’ve made it in. But they did so they didn’t. Brock Glenn is no Cardale Jones.

Also, FUCK MICHIGAN!

:)

Your problem is that you believe everything they've said about their selection criteria. There's no reason to take anything they say at face value. 

They were always going to admit the SEC champ. It became extremely inconvenient that it was Bama, because there was no way they'd be able to put Bama ahead Texas. So they had to move both of them in front of FSU. If it had been Georgia, then FSU would have been admitted and Texas would have been left out. 

The Jordan Travis injury just became a convenient excuse. 

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Your problem is that you believe everything they've said about their selection criteria. There's no reason to take anything they say at face value. 

They were always going to admit the SEC champ. It became extremely inconvenient that it was Bama, because there was no way they'd be able to put Bama ahead Texas. So they had to move both of them in front of FSU. If it had been Georgia, then FSU would have been admitted and Texas would have been left out. 
The Jordan Travis injury just became a convenient excuse. 
I tend to agree with this. If Georgia had won, I don't think we got in over FSU. But since Bama won, they moved us both in. SEC was always going to get in.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

SEC was always going to get in.

I honestly think there was a good chance the SEC would have been left out if FSU hadn't looked epically bad on offense in the last 2 games.  The ACC CCG sealed FSU's fate with the committee watching that abortion of a game.  If FSU had just lined up in wildcat all night, the optics would have been better and then they could have said their #2 guy would be back for the playoffs with plenty of time for both QB's to get reps.  No good came from sticking that poor #3 guy out there for the world to see.  You just can't leave that game as the last impression on the committee when there are 4 other deserving champs in play.  By the end of that game, my opinion totally shifted from "you can't leave out an undefeated P5" to "there is no way you can put that team in the playoffs".  I assume the committee felt the same.  I thought Texas was in after the Bama win regardless of ACC outcome, so I think my view of FSU was pretty unbiased.  Sucks for FSU, it will be interesting to see what they do against Georgia.     

5 hours ago, Hornlover said:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Washington
4. Texas / FSU

All of this but also both Bama and Texas elevated with bama’s win. Without that Bama goes down a notch as does Texas. No longer can Texas claim a win over the SEC champs which was probably a huge factor. I guess I believe the article but Bama and Texas were tied at the hip and our two wins plus FSU unimpressive win was the perfect combo for chaos.  Bama loses there is no chaos and we are wishing for do overs on the last OU drive in Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

If they do that against Georgia they might end up #1 in the Coaches Poll if Michigan and Washington end up losing in the playoff. That's not nothing.

AFCA Coaches Poll

RK
TEAM
REC PTS
TREND
MichiganMichigan(51)
13-0 1535
2 13-0 1482
3 13-0 1358
AlabamaAlabama(3)
12-1 1351
  12-1 1351
6 12-1 1275
7 11-1 1187
8 11-2 1092
9 10-2 1023
-
10 10-2 952
-
11 10-2 932
-
12 10-2 898
-
LSULSU
9-3 796
-
14 9-3 707
15 10-3 642
16 9-3 633
-
17 10-3 426
-
18 9-3 423
SMUSMU
11-2 375
20 13-0 315
21 9-4 299
22 8-4 295
23 8-4 226
-
24 11-2 139
25 11-1 114
-

14-0 and #1 in the coaches poll? I’d claim that shit. National champs bitches.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

intriguing WUT IF 

Liberty wasn’t the 12th seed in the final CFP. It was OU.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2023/12/3/cfp-rankings-2023-1203.aspx

James Franklin might a secret genius. Beginning in 2024, lose to Michigan and Ohio State, win the other 10 games and make the CFP every single year.