MLB Hot Stove 2023/24

TonyTexas

Wow Toronto? Ohtani really loves mediocre teams. I thought the original Angels signing was an odd choice when it happened. It will be interesting to see what Anaheim does once he's officially gone, they should be having a firesale and be one of the worst teams in the league next year. 

The AL West is going to look weird with the A's and Angels as 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league, and the Astros, Rangers and Mariners all shooting for 90+ wins. 

On 12/6/2023 at 10:35 PM, Helobious said:

Volpe, Gleyber, Rizzo, Judge, Soto, Stanton, Dominguez after he comes back from injury, Verdugo, DJL, Austin Wells. Oh and Cole and the Yamamoto guy from Japan at the top of the rotation. Get off the fucking tracks when the train comes through  

you need professional hitters in the postseason. guys who can grind out at bats, wear down pitching staffs, get to the bullpen early, etc. your new lineup has two guys who scare me, and a bunch of guys who like to k on three pitches. y’all got a long way to go before anybody fears that lineup in october.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Wow Toronto? Ohtani really loves mediocre teams. I thought the original Angels signing was an odd choice when it happened. It will be interesting to see what Anaheim does once he's officially gone, they should be having a firesale and be one of the worst teams in the league next year. 

The AL West is going to look weird with the A's and Angels as 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league, and the Astros, Rangers and Mariners all shooting for 90+ wins. 

the lights would he too bright with the dodgers and im curious to see the opt outs 

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Rangers and Astros are good teams, they win against good teams. But it helps to pad the stats when you play those two crap teams quite a bit. 

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Someone lie to me and tell me the Yankees are about to pull and coup and have the best off-season in the history of professional sports. Which is exactly what it would be.

Remember that offseason when the Eagles got Nnamdi Asomugha, Vince Young, and a few other people…and Sportscenter and Sportscenter Quote Dorks (like you) kept talking about how unstoppable the eagles would be.   

then the Eagles sucked that season.  Like sucked shit through a straw. 

that’s gonna be the Yankees this year.   But we’ll get to hear Sportscenter laud over them.  And we’ll get to read the Sportscenter talking points, verbatim,  from our favorite valley boy.  

and we’ll all be like…

image.gif.c6669c64e511ef1d7b300eda0e59bfed.gif

and Shohei isn’t going there either.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Haha 1

Someone lie to me and tell me the Yankees are about to pull and coup and have the best off-season in the history of professional sports. Which is exactly what it would be.

The Yankees are about to land Shohei and have the best offseason in the history of professional sports.

You should go ahead and bet your life savings on a Yankees title in 2024. It’s a lock.
  • Haha 1

Good for Ohtani! This is a landmark contract in North American pro sports, especially for a foreign born athlete. Now he gets to finally play in meaningful games and gets paid like he should. I think he is worth far more as a player, but with the endorsements he’ll be racking up here as well as back home he is easily going to be pulling down well over 100m a year. It’s hard not to like him as a player and he seems like a pretty cool person when he’s not playing ball.

11 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Good for Ohtani! This is a landmark contract in North American pro sports, especially for a foreign born athlete. Now he gets to finally play in meaningful games and gets paid like he should. I think he is worth far more as a player, but with the endorsements he’ll be racking up here as well as back home he is easily going to be pulling down well over 100m a year. It’s hard not to like him as a player and he seems like a pretty cool person when he’s not playing ball.

He’s not worth more than 700M as a player dude. It’s probably fair value. If he comes back and pitches well. It’s a comical overpay if that part of his career is done.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s not worth more than 700M as a player dude. It’s probably fair value. If he comes back and pitches well. It’s a comical overpay if that part of his career is done.  

He is absolutely worth more than that once he starts pitching again in 2025. He is pretty much worth whatever the market says he is worth though and this year it has this as his price. 70 million is nice, but he could’ve gotten more if he really wanted to dig in his heels for a bigger payday. I want to see guys get paid whatever they can take away from an owner. The more for them the merrier.

Does he really make that much off the field in the USA? I've seen one New Balance commercial and he has always seemed super private (which is absolutely his prerogative).

This contract is such a huge amount of money if I were Ohtani one of my first thoughts would be that I never have to be in a commercial again.

5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

He is absolutely worth more than that once he starts pitching again in 2025. He is pretty much worth whatever the market says he is worth though and this year it has this as his price. 70 million is nice, but he could’ve gotten more if he really wanted to dig in his heels for a bigger payday. I want to see guys get paid whatever they can take away from an owner. The more for them the merrier.

He couldn’t have. He also deferred more than half his salary. So he’s not even worth 700M. Look dude- baseball has a very very very clear way of valuation. We know when production is overpaid and we know when it’s underpaid. It’s incredibly likely he doesn’t hit as many WAR as dollars he collects. Like- really really likely he has leas than 75 or so WAR over the next 10 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Rosenthal’s tweet above is dumb. Deferrals do nothing to ease the luxury tax burden. His AAV is $70M/yr. regardless 

Only money paid out for years the player is signed to actually play count towards AAV. So in theory if he had $100 million of his contract deferred to be paid out years 11-15 from now, that money would not count towards AAV. Maybe try learning about the sport before you post.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Does he really make that much off the field in the USA? I've seen one New Balance commercial and he has always seemed super private (which is absolutely his prerogative).

This contract is such a huge amount of money if I were Ohtani one of my first thoughts would be that I never have to be in a commercial again.

The crush of media from Japan will probably make the Ichiro following of Japanese media  look small in comparison. Companies will throw money at him here and back home. It’s up to him to decide how much he wants and if the time spent doing it is worth it to him personally. 70 million sounds awesome to me, but I am not and never will be in a position to make 9 figures a year like Ohtani can.

• Hook 'Em 1