2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

We don't know that...we hope that, but we don't know it.  

Another possibility is that he needs a DL coach before spring ball and this is the best he could find on short notice and he, like the rest of us, hopes he works out.  But if not, he'll try again next year.

Sometimes I feel like the board lacks general wisdom. 

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, DigDug said:

You dumb motherfuckers are full of yourselves and weakly sensitive. I point right the fuck at you.  

I was bitching at all, I was talking in comfort. Your dumb ass couldn’t tell friend foe or murder if it was standing right next to you.

I read that post in the thickest of Asian accents and I literally cannot stop laughing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Pretty much the worst thing you could ever do for a position group that needs an influx of talent and stability is go through 3 position coaches in three years. Especially in the trenches.

There is no chance this hire was made with the thought that a do-over could be had if it doesn’t work out after 1 year. It’s also pretty dumb to judge a body of work, especially in something like recruiting that requires multi-year relationships, after one year. Unless it’s a coach like Andre Coleman.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pretty much the worst thing you could ever do for a position group that needs an influx of talent and stability is go through 3 position coaches in three years. Especially in the trenches.

There is no chance this hire was made with the thought that a do-over could be had if it doesn’t work out after 1 year. It’s also pretty dumb to judge a body of work, especially in something like recruiting that requires multi-year relationships, after one year. Unless it’s a coach like Andre Coleman.

Actually, the worst thing you can do is keep a bad hire there for 2 years after you knew he wasn’t the right guy. If a better hire comes along in a year and you know this one was a failure, you cut bait. 

• Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Hiring this dude is like taking down the thicc drunk girl at the bar at 2am.

I mean... sometimes, you take the thicc drunk girl home and it turns out she's not just thicc, she gives the best, most enthusiastic head you've ever had, loves college sports, is totally cool to talk to, and can whip up a mean paella, and you're like, "Fuck yeah, this is marriage material!"

And other times, you wake up in the morning and scream.

Watching y'all absolutely lose your shit over the hire because a position coach is nobody you'd ever heard of before is entertaining.

I written it before, you'll see me post it again: This is the year we find out the kind of coach Sark is for real.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

This place is hilarious. Me thinking this was a solid hire equates to “jacking off” over it. 

The main thing bugging me is people are ignoring the obvious: Davis & Wright (Attorneys at Law) arent options clearly. And say we didn’t hire Baker. What awesome can’t miss DL coach out there right now do we get instead? I’ll wait. 

well, since Larry Johnson didn't apply for the job on the website guess we better hire this guy - am i right?

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Actually, the worst thing you can do is keep a bad hire there for 2 years after you knew he wasn’t the right guy. If a better hire comes along in a year and you know this one was a failure, you cut bait. 

i think technically the worst is keeping him for 3 years

image.png.3e45c7a5f8a7aedfc04fb17aaafb21da.png

Spoiler

image.png.c149cc8aaafaba49e0f356d02aaa9cd5.png

• Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Sometimes I feel like the board lacks general wisdom. 

Generally true statement, but not sure how it applies to my post.  Please enlighten us as to why Kenny Baker was, or should have been our #1 target.

I'll hang up and listen.

Edited by DixonHur
Couldn't even get his name right

Who the fuck gave this dude's name to Sark and PK? That dude needs to be shot.

And between Sark and PK, none of them thought, "who the fuck is this dude and why am I interviewing him?"

And even after the interview, neither of Sark or PK thought, "who the fuck is this dude and why isn't the other asshole stopping me from hiring this nobody?"

All the 995ers were saying Rod was the guy until Houston fired their primary DL coach.

Then the talk became Sark wants to make sure the person is an ace recruiter with great resume.

Then 2 days later we hire this guy who, at least on paper, doesn't meet either of those criteria. 

Yet somehow suggesting we may have settled is totally out of line?

Some of you people are turning into aggy.

Edited by DixonHur

59 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

We don't know that...we hope that, but we don't know it.  

Another possibility is that he needs a DL coach before spring ball and this is the best he could find on short notice and he, like the rest of us, hopes he works out.  But if not, he'll try again next year.

Ok your previous post was dumb and reeked of aggie star chasing mentality....but this idiocy actually makes helobious's takes sound intelligent.

You seriously think Sark just hired a guy to have a body for spring practice and this dude is all he could get.

With all due respect....this may be ....the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum...and that is a high bar.

35 minutes ago, Teryor said:

So your biggest complaint with the hire is that you took everything the 9.95ers said at face value?

Nice reasoning ability...I certainly hope you're not one of the Surly lawyers.  How you got that out of my posts is a real mystery.

My biggest complaint is that he's a no body.

The first time anyone on this board heard his name was when he was announced as the new coach.  

If you want to sunshine pump that as a home run hire, be my guest, but this smells of desperation.

I didn't realize we were turning into texags, but here we are.

• Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

reeked of aggie star chasing mentality

Lol, star chasing?  That's a good one.  

First I'm chastised for wanting Rod Wright, because his resume allegedly sucked, but 2 days later I'm star chasing because I was hoping we'd hire a coach that anyone on this board had ever heard of before today.  GTFO.

If anyone is being Aggy it's those pumping sunshine like Looch with a FCS transfer.

As I said earlier, he may end up being great, but raise your hand if you had Kenny Baker on your DL coaching prospect list.

Aside from Fangio hired him, what evidence based analysis are you hanging your hat on?

I mean Google Kenny Baker and like 90% of the results are for the R2D2 actor who died 8 years ago.

Either we got a real diamond in the rough or we'll be repeating the search in 11 months.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

First I'm chastised for wanting Rod Wright, because his resume allegedly sucked, but 2 days later I'm star chasing because I was hoping we'd hire a coach that anyone on this board had ever heard of before today.  GTFO.

If anyone is being Aggy it's those pumping sunshine like Looch with a FCS transfer.

As I said earlier, he may end up being great, but raise your hand if you had Kenny Baker on your DL coaching prospect list.

Aside from Fangio hired him, what evidence based analysis are you hanging your hat on?

I mean Google Kenny Baker and like 90% of the results are for the R2D2 actor who died 8 years ago.

Either we got a real diamond in the rough or we'll be repeating the search in 11 months.

I'm a big Kenny fan so I'm sure as fuck going to sunshine post.

giphy.gif.cac90c765e6ffd5f8971b112d570628e.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If Saban had hired this guy, everyone's opinion would be different.

Not really. Saban ran a system like a manufacturing line. He has written manuals for every position and many processes, so that he can plug any coach into his system. Now that doesn’t mean he doesn’t try to hire good coaches, or that they can’t contribute their own skills in his system. It just means that if he hires someone it doesn’t necessarily mean they are good. In his system they don’t have to be good. See Bill O Brien. See Wiggins. 

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Not really. Saban ran a system like a manufacturing line. He has written manuals for every position and many processes, so that he can plug any coach into his system. Now that doesn’t mean he doesn’t try to hire good coaches, or that they can’t contribute their own skills in his system. It just means that if he hires someone it doesn’t necessarily mean they are good. In his system they don’t have to be good. See Bill O Brien. See Wiggins. 

And Jay Valai..

37 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Name 5 DL coaches and why they are good without looking it up.

• Hook 'Em 7

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Name 5 DL coaches and why they are good without looking it up.

Bo Davis, reasoning obvious 

Rod Wright - Texas Ex, Pro bona fides both as player and coach, did well developing players at UTSA.

Frank Okam - Texas Ex, did well at Baylor under Matt Rhule who took him to the NFL with him

Freddie Roach - duh

Eli Rasheed - developed NFL talent and held us to 150 yards rushing 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I mean I don’t get it but an nfl team thought enough to promote him to the league skipping P5 and his unit and their defense did alright. I don’t know shit so I think I’ll just wait and see.

Jeff Fisher was a head coach in the NFL for many years….   I don’t judge by a NFL teams judgment alone, but who knows if it will work or not yet.  Definitely wasn’t a hire on paper that attracts recruits or a big name splash but might workout in the long run.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Dude your original post was equating him not being known or even having a Wikipedia page with meaning he was a bad hire. 

Then the next post I replied to saying sark basically panicked because he couldn't get anyone else to take the job before spring.....seriously 

50 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You're smarter than this. 

Saban won because he cheated. His process can only take you so far.  That was nonsense fed to the media to make him look like the greatest of all time!

And Sark knows his entire system. He coached there.

To the posters jumping off a cliff with ten posts per page while bringing no new information:

A few of you should consider taking a break. I think CTJ and Huckleberry nailed it.

This isn't Watson, Beck, or Stoops. Those guys had proven they can't coach. We don't know anything about this guy. Sark has way more info than we do.

A defensive tackle coach must evaluate/recruit, motivate, and teach techniques. It's not in the same category as a coordinator, QB coach, OL coach, linebackers coach, safeties coach, or even a wide receivers coach. You have to coach way more than technique at those spots. It's not that difficult to get a good feel for Kenny's qualifications in the interview process.

My main concerns on this team are the depth chart at DT left by Bo Davis and our defensive backs running around with their heads cut off. I'm also more concerned with this guy overcoming his resume in the recruiting process than his actual coaching or recruiting abilities. My guess is Johnny Nansen can assist in this process. He has d-line experience and can recruit. Don't forget Johnny Nansen was a nobody until Sark hired him at Washington. It's hard to attract a great tackles coach when the roster is void of future star players. I'd prefer a coach who knows how to find young talent than someone who hires 60-year-olds based on Google search results. Older coaches work sometimes, especially as coordinators. But you need some fresh blood as position coaches to bring energy to the room and someone the kids can relate to.

Let's wait and see how it plays out before calling it good or bad.

• Hook 'Em 9

You guys ever work for companies that hire college grads? You know, people that have never done shit at this level, and you spend time with them and decide, “ shit, this guy is gonna be good!”

It’s either going to work or not. Any of you skeptics want to point out why not? Not a familiar name? Sketchy on technique? Questionable rotations? Not a good communicator? I mean shit, give the guy a chance.

• Hook 'Em 4