Operation Prosperity Guardian: The Red Sea Cruise 2023-? But wait there's more! Iran + proxies, FAFO

atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Would I pay for the privilege of doing so?  Fuck yes I would.

Brisket (while leaning out the window of a Cessna): You should do a story about me.

Reporter: Why? 

Brisket:  Because I'm so fucking good!

Reporter:  And how do you shoot the little ones?

Brisket:  Easy, you just don't lead 'em so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Macanudo said:

Brisket (while leaning out the window of a Cessna): You should do a story about me.

It is not fair that you know me so well.

• Haha 1

I’m Team Seychelles man. Not sure if it was wise for them to join this operation bc they are sitting ducks down the road, I guess. Unless we want to offer them some protection. I admit I am not entirely sure what this operation is despite reading quite a bit about it. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

It's like the entire world is finally waking up to the stupid shit going on.

Even Seychelles. 

First time I learned of the Seychelles was when I was a kid, reading some nature book about threatened species.  They have a bird called the Seychelles Fody.  Fody is a funny name for a bird.

And now you know about as much about the Seychelles as I do.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Anyone got a link to general info about wtf is going on?  The context of the engagement?

The US has announced the creation of an enhanced naval protection force operating in the southern Red Sea in an attempt to ward off mounting attacks from Yemen’s rebel Houthis on merchant shipping.

Britain said it would be among the countries participating but notable absentees were Arab nations Egypt and Saudi Arabia, while analysts speculated that shipping would continue to be disrupted and attacks continue.

Lloyd Austin, the US defence secretary, said the new effort would be called Operation Prosperity Guardian and was necessary to tackle the “recent escalation in reckless Houthi attacks originating from Yemen”.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/19/us-announces-naval-coalition-to-defend-red-sea-shipping-from-houthi-attacks

IMG_8559.jpeg

IMG_8560.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

This thing gonna be live streamed on YouTube or what?

$5 streaming charge. $50 superchats. After every Houthi shitbucket that we sink, the stream cuts over to some OnlyFans chicks deploying a double-headed dildo in support of our troops.....we could possibly turn a profit on this deal.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

You left out brisket ejaculating "Git some!" periodically followed by insane cackling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, B00M said:

Someone needs to modify that clip to have the jet get destroyed as soon as it takes off and fade to black

Or showing it getting blown up in the middle of the night sitting in it's hangar while the pilot is sleeping.  That's what is actually going to happen.

5 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Seychelles is a much coveted liberty port in the US Navy.  The Sailors who do get to visit will tell you about it's beautiful beaches and cheap alcohol.  The problem is that it's pretty freaking far out of the way from our normal transit lanes.  In order to do this port visit, a ship has to get down there and back at higher than normal speeds, otherwise they are off-station for far too long.  It's a logistical pain in the ass, but we do it to maintain good international relationships and Sailors love it.

At the beginning of OIF, I was the materiel officer for the Destroyer Squadron assigned to the Nimitz Strike Group.  One of the biggest headaches I experienced during that gig was getting steel beams shipped to the Seychelles. 

You see... what had happened was that a DDG captain didn't want to be late to his port visit in the Seychelles and drove the ship at excessive speeds through high sea states.  The continuous beating of the huge waves against the fast moving bow of ship compromised the structural integrity of the bow, causing it to buckle.  The steel beams were needed for internal reinforcement so that the ship could get back underway and safely operate for the remainder of its deployment.  I'm still not sure how that dude avoided getting fired.

That’s crazy. Y’all just weld them in on top of buckled beams or do you cut out the buckled beams and replace them? Was it fatigue that led to the buckling or a single extreme impact?

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Seychelles is a much coveted liberty port in the US Navy.  The Sailors who do get to visit will tell you about it's beautiful beaches and cheap alcohol.  The problem is that it's pretty freaking far out of the way from our normal transit lanes.  In order to do this port visit, a ship has to get down there and back at higher than normal speeds, otherwise they are off-station for far too long.  It's a logistical pain in the ass, but we do it to maintain good international relationships and Sailors love it.

At the beginning of OIF, I was the materiel officer for the Destroyer Squadron assigned to the Nimitz Strike Group.  One of the biggest headaches I experienced during that gig was getting steel beams shipped to the Seychelles. 

You see... what had happened was that a DDG captain didn't want to be late to his port visit in the Seychelles and drove the ship at excessive speeds through high sea states.  The continuous beating of the huge waves against the fast moving bow of ship compromised the structural integrity of the bow, causing it to buckle.  The steel beams were needed for internal reinforcement so that the ship could get back underway and safely operate for the remainder of its deployment.  I'm still not sure how that dude avoided getting fired.

sea water can't melt steel beams!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

33 minutes ago, B00M said:

That’s crazy. Y’all just weld them in on top of buckled beams or do you cut out the buckled beams and replace them? Was it fatigue that led to the buckling or a single extreme impact?

Fatigue from repeated impacts.

Yep.  Just welded them in as cross beams for support.  Good enough until their next yard period when they would do full replacements.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Fatigue from repeated impacts.

Yep.  Just welded them in as cross beams for support.  Good enough until their next yard period when they would do full replacements.  

We got beat to hell in the med on the backend of my last cruise. I know what that one felt like, but we didn’t buckle the hull. 

Can’t imagine what it felt like and took to buckle the hull. Must have been one hell of a ride. 

More than 20 nations have signed on.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3624836/ryder-gives-more-detail-on-how-operation-prosperity-guardian-will-work/

Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III announced the operation during a trip to the Middle East that ended last night. The secretary met with leaders in Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and Israel during the trip. "The secretary emphasized the strong and enduring partnership between the United States and his key partner nations towards furthering our shared goals of security and stability throughout the Middle East region," Ryder said.  

Austin discussed the importance of freedom of navigation in international waterways and the threat the Houthi attacks against commercial shipping in the Red Sea pose to world commerce. Between 10 and 15 percent of global shipping flows through the Red Sea, "and these attacks are impacting global trade and commerce, negatively impacting the economies of nations around the world and costing commercial shipping firms billions of dollars," Ryder said.  

In Bahrain, Austin announced Operation Prosperity Guardian. The operation is a new multinational security operation under the umbrella the Combined Maritime Forces and the leadership of Task Force 153, which focuses on security in the Red Sea.  

Austin further convened a virtual ministerial from Bahrain with ministers, chiefs of defense and senior representatives from more than 40 countries as well as representatives from the European Union and NATO to discuss the increased threat to maritime security in the Red Sea.  

Austin used the forum to highlight the effects of the Houthi attacks and called on the representatives to act collectively. The nations must come together "to address this issue collectively, emphasizing that this is an international problem that requires an international response," Ryder said.  

There have been solid results: To date more than 20 nations have signed on to participate, Ryder said. "In the days ahead, the United States will continue to consult closely with our allies and partners who share the fundamental principle of freedom of navigation, and we expect to see the coalition continue to grow," he said. 

The operation is a global answer to an international issue and the United States will continue to "work with this coalition of the willing where countries will be able to contribute what they feel that they can," Ryder said. Some of these contributions are military assets like ships and aircraft and other contributions include staff and other types of support. 

---

The area is large, roughly the distance between Boston and Washington, D.C., and the operation will work to assure safe passage all along the way.  

"Last thing I'd say on this is that the Houthis need to stop these attacks, and they need to stop them now," Ryder said. "That's clear and simple. They really need to ask themselves if they've bitten off more than they can chew, when it comes to taking on the entire international community and negatively impacting billions and billions, billions of dollars in global trade, economic prosperity and international law."

----

"The Houthis have chosen to wear green and will be the home team for this matchup."

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Yeah, but something that hit me today. We have a pretty damn large base right across those straits. Oh and the Aussies will send 11 personnel, no equipment.

As usual, it will be the US, the French, and maybe the Japanese. Brits need to run sea trials still for their carriers, even though active still do flight ops, and let them hold the North Sea. Plus do we want to unleash the Brit Navy anywhere? Who else? Danes and Dutch can send one each, maybe an Italian ship, but that is where I would want to be assigned. The Kenyans? Nah. Oman? Nah. UAE and KSA have already been fighting the Houthis so they love this shit. And there has been a lot of noise up to this to stop US assistance to those two countries due their role in Yemen.

So the gulf states want to make sure oil is safe. the EU wants their cheap as IKEA shit. Japan wants to send cars to the EU. Man, to own a bunkering facility in Mombassa right now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Lot of misinformation and confusion out there - claims that in a meeting with coalition partners, the French left because the US is doing defense-only and not going to attack directly into Yemen, while the French want to hammer Yemen, while some Arab nations want to play it cool and not go into Yemen, etc.  I'm guessing the Israeli/Hamas fight is complicating things - US trying to keep it from turning into an Israel/Europe/USA vs Arab/Muslim/etc. fight.  Still, even if true for now (that we are only playing defense), we've parked a shitload of cruise missiles off the coast.

Anyways, article on private security forces that more shipping companies are hiring

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/inside-the-private-security-forces-protecting-red-sea-shipping

You might find the bit below interesting @InkaUtexas

There's talk that there are Iranians actively working in the Red Sea/Yemeni area and involved in targeting, etc.:

This is the ship they are bitching about - Iranian cargo ship being used as a base ship in the Red Sea, equipped with sensors, speedboats etc., and the Iranians are using it to help the Houthis pick targets.  Apparently it just sails around the Red Sea not delivering cargo, but its predecessor apparently picked up an Israeli limpet mine in 2021, so...

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:657839/mmsi:422036200/imo:9167289/vessel:BEHSHAD

----

About 49 seconds into the video "Coalition warship we have just received warning from Iranian naval vessel and Yemen naval vessel If we do not alter our course, they will be bombing us directly"

MV Behshad a known IRGCN forward base ship equipped with a variety of sensors to collect electronic data and 6 Boston whalers style speed boats is actively taking part in hostile operations against civilian merchant ships. There are IRGCN sailors aboard and they are actively providing targeting data and actively engaging in hostile action against civilian merchant ships

• Rage+1 2

• blacklab changed the title to Operation Prosperity Guardian: The Red Sea Cruise 2023-? But wait there's more! Iran + proxies, FAFO