2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

22 hours ago, Pimphand said:

If you are too fucking stupid to realize earths waning magnetic field allowed Aurora Borealis shows as far south as Puerto Rico from simple X5 solar flares is a problem well I ain't got nuttin for you man. It's a shame the parasympathetic nervous system keeps you breathing because you are clearly too stupid to do so on your own.

Stronger magnetic fields lead to brighter, more active, auroras. 

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/content/aurora-tutorial#:~:text=As geomagnetic activity increases%2C the aurora becomes brighter and more active.

At higher levels of the geomagnetic index, Kp, the aurora moves equatorward.”

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

Still no power in my area of the GOOF, son had baseball games in Tomball, because of course, yesterday afternoon which was a nice break from dealing with this, kept us away from the house for majority of the day. Ended up eating dinner at Plonk last night and was clutch, they have full power, A/C, full menu and beer. Hoping we get our shit back soon, but could be so much worse. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

We're still without power in Montrose.  We seem to be in a weird little pocket as the only couple of blocks in the area without power.

Slept on couch downstairs last night as upstairs was considerably warmer.

This blows.

• Like 1

Just did a survey flight of my small neighborhood with my drone for roof damage - 12 homes with missing shingles on the roof ridge(s), two with holes in the roof, and one house with siding missing. The homes on the perimeter and corners of the neighborhood got it the worst.

Holy fucking shit am I breathing a sigh of relief for dodging that bullet.

• Hook 'Em 5

32 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How common are buried power lines in Greater Houston? I can’t recall many if any neighborhoods with them. 

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How common are buried power lines in Greater Houston? I can’t recall many if any neighborhoods with them. 

More common in newer neighborhoods after they cut down every tree during development.  I believe it’s effectively impossible to bury the lines in existing neighborhoods. 

All buried in The Woodlands except for the main transmission towers…

• Hook 'Em 2

With the way Houston floods, would that be a good idea?
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, Smax said:

With the way Houston floods, would that be a good idea?

Well, they'd be insulated, which would change the safety concerns.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Grimas said:

All buried in The Woodlands except for the main transmission towers…

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

More common in newer neighborhoods after they cut down every tree during development.  I believe it’s effectively impossible to bury the lines in existing neighborhoods. 

This what I figured. A large number of my coworkers live out in the newer parts of Katy and they rarely have electrical issues in storms. 

Internet is another story. If they have to dig at all it seems like it knocks out the neighborhood. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Just did a survey flight of my small neighborhood with my drone for roof damage - 12 homes with missing shingles on the roof ridge(s), two with holes in the roof, and one house with siding missing.

...We can help.

• Hook 'Em 1

They put these monsters up last year throughout my neighborhood. They don’t replace every wooden pole, but all of the frequent failure points were replaced. My power was out for about 20 minutes during the storm. In previous years it would have been a multi-day outage.

Hopefully they’ll do this all over the city. 

IMG_1920.thumb.jpeg.8b7a5698ab4e004e1e4ce94f49115931.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

So HISD sent around an email and online listing of schools with power that will be open. This list is bullshit. We were at Helms all morning. It most definitely does not have power. I'm sure other schools are on the list are incorrect as well. 

https://abc13.com/post/houston-isd-school-closures-storm-damage-campus-students-return-class-repairing-campuses-without-power/14841944/

• Rage+1 2

31 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So HISD sent around an email and online listing of schools with power that will be open. This list is bullshit. We were at Helms all morning. It most definitely does not have power. I'm sure other schools are on the list are incorrect as well. 

https://abc13.com/post/houston-isd-school-closures-storm-damage-campus-students-return-class-repairing-campuses-without-power/14841944/

[Laughs in Mike Miles]

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Harvard is the same.  And the bussing of students that Miles mentioned? No. Hisd needed to call off school earlier today at the latest.

But...we just got power back at Alexander and 10th.  Oxford and White Oak is still out, though.

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My brother-in-law bought a new build closer to Sugar Land, and all of the power and internet were buried, and the developers of the subdivision overbuilt their water retention/flood control infrastructure.  During the last hurricane, they actually had flooding just outside of their subdivision but no problems within and their power was fairly stable (the problems with their power occurred with lines outside of their subdivision.  I’m not sure if there were incentives involved, or if it was a major selling point or what, but it’s like “why weren’t they doing this 20 years ago?”

Retrofitting existing areas would be a pain. All of the retention/flood control was built along with the roads (which were a part of the retention/flood control).

Still in the dark in my pocket of 77018. Approaching 90 hours without power. Possible, but not likely we get restored at some point this evening. Tomorrow seems more realistic.

House stayed below 75 on Friday night so no big problem. We toughed it out on Saturday night though had to sleep downstairs on the couches and it was pretty miserable. Finally tapped out yesterday after it was getting close to 80 degrees indoors and cashed in some hotel points to get a room a Residence Inn that allows pets. Already re-booked for tonight. Luckily the kennel where we take our dogs re-opened today so we were able to drop them off while we both go to work today. 

This sucks. Longest I've ever been without power. I'd say the freeze/Harvey/Ike were "worse" insofar as the extent of damage caused and the extent of disruption to daily life in Houston. At least we've had running water the whole time, grocery stores have been open, and it hasn't been too hard to find restaurants and bars open. But I never lost power for more than 72 hours in any of those. Possible I'll end up going 120+ in this one when it's all said and done.

• Rage+1 5

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Still in the dark in my pocket of 77018. Approaching 90 hours without power. Possible, but not likely we get restored at some point this evening. Tomorrow seems more realistic.

House stayed below 75 on Friday night so no big problem. We toughed it out on Saturday night though had to sleep downstairs on the couches and it was pretty miserable. Finally tapped out yesterday after it was getting close to 80 degrees indoors and cashed in some hotel points to get a room a Residence Inn that allows pets. Already re-booked for tonight. Luckily the kennel where we take our dogs re-opened today so we were able to drop them off while we both go to work today. 

This sucks. Longest I've ever been without power. I'd say the freeze/Harvey/Ike were "worse" insofar as the extent of damage caused and the extent of disruption to daily life in Houston. At least we've had running water the whole time, grocery stores have been open, and it hasn't been too hard to find restaurants and bars open. But I never lost power for more than 72 hours in any of those. Possible I'll end up going 120+ in this one when it's all said and done.

I'm also in 77018 but luckily got power back last night.

Not to one up you but I had 17 days without power with Hurricane Ike in the my 77018 house. Teaches you to be prepared for short term emergencies like this like keeping some portable cooling devices and a generator. I can't sleep/function in 80+ indoor temps.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Only time I've been w/o power for 90+ hours was during recent freezes.  For the first one, we couldn't get out of our neighborhood, which really sucked.  Not to minimize sleeping in an 80 F house, but doing so in a 50 F (or lower) house that you can't leave is pretty demoralizing.  I'd be doing what you did as far as heading for bars and restaurants.  Hopefully they'll flip the switch for y'all today.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm also in 77018 but luckily got power back last night.

Not to one up you but I had 17 days without power with Hurricane Ike in the my 77018 house. Teaches you to be prepared for short term emergencies like this like keeping some portable cooling devices and a generator. I can't sleep/function in 80+ indoor temps.

No one likes anyone in the burbs except when this happens. If I had been in town, I would have ended up at my mom’s (Magnolia) or sister’s (Seabrook) - neither lost power 

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Longest I’ve been without power as well and I’ve lived in Houston since 1984 and a Texas resident my whole life.  Supposed to get it back today.  We’ll see.  I’m in 77057 and still several pockets without power in the Tanglewood and Briargrove areas. 

Posted (edited)

We lost power for 2 weeks after hurricane Alicia (August 1983 in Houston). The other side of our street had power so most houses had extension cords running across the street to borrow power from neighbors until things were back up.

Edited by KaiserSoze

Feel for you guys.  We were among the longest without power in 2021 (big freeze) and 2023 (Austin ice storm) and....it sucks.  Longest I was without it otherwise was around 3 days after Alicia in Houston in 83.  Hang at friend's places etc. with AC as much as you can (at least in the 2023 ice storm, we could get out and about and go other places, and the temp extremes tapered off after a day, so our bedroom was tolerable with a generator-powered space heater....I've thought of getting a small window unit for the same drill when the weather is hotter).  Really do hope shit gets fixed soon.

All those without power will be pleased to know that we have our big generators up and running to power our warehouse and office.  

According to Hoyle, Centerpoint will now have normal power service restored in 3, 2, 1….. just to shit on our efforts.  

Until your power is restored, I’m charging $2 per nose hit of cold, conditioned air seeping through the keyhole at our front door.  The line is formed to the right.  

Step right up.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Only time I've been w/o power for 90+ hours was during recent freezes.  For the first one, we couldn't get out of our neighborhood, which really sucked.  Not to minimize sleeping in an 80 F house, but doing so in a 50 F (or lower) house that you can't leave is pretty demoralizing.  I'd be doing what you did as far as heading for bars and restaurants.  Hopefully they'll flip the switch for y'all today.

You would rather sleep in 80 degrees than in 50?

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Fuck that. I can bundle up to keep warm. Trying to sleep when you’re hot is misery.

The extremes either way get me.  I can do 50.  In the big freeze, we bottomed out inside the house in the mid-30s.  That was too fucking cold, bundling or not.  And yeah, over 78, I have a hard time sleeping.  Over 80, for sure.  I remember our last night without power after Alicia was fucking warm, and I didn't enjoy it.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The extremes either way get me.  I can do 50.  In the big freeze, we bottomed out inside the house in the mid-30s.  That was too fucking cold, bundling or not.  And yeah, over 78, I have a hard time sleeping.  Over 80, for sure.  I remember our last night without power after Alicia was fucking warm, and I didn't enjoy it.

We got down to the mid-40’s in our house. Between sweatshirts, blankets and a big dog putting off a bunch of heat, we slept fine for the 100+ hours that we were without power. Sleeping is what I looked forward to most every day since being awake was mind numbingly boring.

Edited by royiv
  • Hook 'Em 2

I just don't do cold well.  I moved to Texas from the midwest specifically because I don't like anything remotely resembling cold weather unless I have boards strapped to my feet.

And now, Texas has had the 2 worst cold weather events of my 40 years In Austin in (checks calendar) the last 4 years.  So, I have that going for me, which is nice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

You would rather sleep in 80 degrees than in 50?

I was without power after Ike for 2 1/2 weeks.  Then the ice storm in 2023 was maybe 5-6 days (can't remember)

Cold weather power loss > Warm weather power loss and it's not even close.  I'll hang out in my ski gear in cold weather.  I don't care.  I can sleep under a bunch of blankets and in warm clothing.  Pizza over and grill work the same in cold as in warm weather.  Not much you can do to cool off in the summer without power.  Nighttime is pure misery. 

Oh... and when cold weather is on the horizon, you can buy a half cord of wood to have on hand if you need it.  Can't stockpile ice.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I told my wife, the 3 nights we lost power in the ice storm in 2021 was the best I had slept in years and probably since.  I think it was 48 in the house and I was as snug as a bug in a rug.