2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

Posted (edited)

I got caught in the storm coming into Lakeway. Got home and don't see any damage. Hail was pea to grape sized. Very surprised my aluminum body truck didn't have a bunch of dents. Wind was atleast 40mph with a few gusts that had to be over 50mph.

Sunshine showers are cool, but sunshine hail storms are the new new. That is some odd shit.

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux

My wife is reporting golf ball sized hail near Burnet/183/Steck/Mopac, clearing up now.

When I asked her how big the hail was she said "about half a baseball". Me: "so like a golf ball?" Her: "oh yeah, like a golf ball".

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Isn’t Austin Subaru in that area?

Ask Dan Patrick.

Serious question since I got a C-/D+ in Troy Kimmel's weather & climate course.  But also a stupid question.  Does hail have enough 'life-span' if it falls near a creekbed to melt and flow into the water table?  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Isn’t Austin Subaru in that area?

Yes it's on Burnet Road a block north of Anderson Lane.  On a site that used to be a Ross Dress For Less, and a Chuck E Cheese Pizza.  Which was a Showbiz Pizza before that, and the whole building was a Kroger even before that.

Ladt round was weird, asymetrical shaped hail up to a one inch diameter, most was marble to grape sized. Cracked two of my windows.

Round to is pea sized so far, but clearly, the order is out to "shoot out the glass."

• Hook 'Em 1

Caught driving around in this crap, so I ducked into a parking garage when the hail started. Place filled the fuck up in a hurry. Probably marble sized at the largest in this round(triangle area). 

44 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Ladt round was weird, asymetrical shaped hail up to a one inch diameter, most was marble to grape sized. Cracked two of my windows.

Round to is pea sized so far, but clearly, the order is out to "shoot out the glass."

Last one was like round four by my count. 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yes it's on Burnet Road a block north of Anderson Lane.  On a site that used to be a Ross Dress For Less, and a Chuck E Cheese Pizza.  Which was a Showbiz Pizza before that, and the whole building was a Kroger even before that.

My mom left me in that Kroger "on accident" back in the mid 70's, so this hits close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, texhorn said:

Radar is lighting the fuck up right now. 

Wife sent ne a nessage about baseball sized shots tracking from Horseshoe Bay ------> Marble Falls.

If it follows that line, NNE, above Leanderthal is in track.

We just completed a smaller project in Sunrise Beach... might have been smacked on a 1 week old roof 

Resized_Screenshot_20240409_195157_Maps.jpeg

Last one was like round four by my count. 
It's been weird, parts of neighborhoods have zero damage, but I also have tons of cracked windows and multiple roofs damaged a few blocks away. Mostly central Lakeway/ 34. . Bee Cave is mostly fine so far.
Crestview is another matter. Legit car and roof damage and 1.5" hail smashing shit.

I hate dealing with insurance companies.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

I hate dealing with insurance companies.

Opposite.

Easy w/ experience.  Better customer value, however it def. hurts overall spread risk / rates.

Edited by ROFL BOX

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Remember that neighbor I was talking about that already had nailer going on his roof. 

Remember me saying unless there is serious damage there is no need to do your work until "season" is over?

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Stringer said:

We got about 10 minutes of hail at Balcones and 2222. Not quite golfball but bigger than I had seen in years. I was worried my skylights were about to crack. Loud as shit.

dc88af32c09bec725670d6ae87eb369a.jpg

Bubble ("domed") or flat?

If flat, it is probably Velux & that branf is s solid product.  Gonna Thame more Eggman that to cause damage to the skylight however that size is def.  large enough to cause shingle damage.

28 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

no hail yet in 78728, thank the Lord.

2× in 1 year wouldn't hurt my feelers.

🤪

Two calls tonight from "roofing" companies ready to come out tomorrow and inspect.  Said they have multiple appointments in the neighborhood but could squeeze me in.  Played along for a few minutes, then mentioned I've been around home building and real estate in Austin my entire life and never heard of them.  Hung up on me oddly enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm out of town. How did things fare in the Cherry Creek area of South Austin?

Last I have seen, nothing morenthan rain.

I need to do a measurement not far SE from Convict Hill & Escarpment, doubt I will see much.

@landman, I can swing your area easy if you would like an assist.  Didn't you provide me with some Rodeo Austin Founder's tickets years ago?

• Hook 'Em 2