2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

52 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Most Montgomery county school districts closing for tomorrow. 

mandatory evacuations being held for areas of NE harris county and parts of montgomery county. High water rescues currently in effect

Meanwhile in the Highland Lakes... 

I Need It Please GIF

We are near Anderson High.  We got HAMMERED last night.  About 1.6 inches in a very short time, super high winds....which knocked out power to our whole part of the hood.  Around 1500 homes, we heard.  We were without power from 7:45 pm to almost 1:00 am.   Yay.

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Some storms out near Brady making their way southeast. Won’t be a ton but might be one more round for the area west of Austin.

That storm is moving slowly right down the river. It’s really just perfectly spotted.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

A bit of good news is that Buchanan has gone from about 44% full to 50% over the last 6 months. Slowly been creeping up.

Last two weeks it’s been good. If we can get a month of good rains extending into June, we might get a nice additional bump in Buchanan and a good bump LT. 

18 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Happy for those of you that got rain and yeah, nice amount for the lakes. But it is so damn frustrating today. Watching light rain developing just to the east of I35 in Hays. I am talking 1 mile from my house and not getting any at all.

That's nothing.  Two summers ago when we were in a stretch of 50+ days without a drop of rain, I watched a huge rain cloud come towards our neighborhood, got within three houses of mine then veered 90 degrees on a dime.  I didn't get a drop and other houses within eyesight had standing water in their lawns.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That's nothing.  Two summers ago when we were in a stretch of 50+ days without a drop of rain, I watched a huge rain cloud come towards our neighborhood, got within three houses of mine then veered 90 degrees on a dime.  I didn't get a drop and other houses within eyesight had standing water in their lawns.

image.gif.48b5d21247fd9e95033997a10fe8477a.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Tomball with 11 inches in the past 24 hrs

We got another  2+ inches from the storm that hit right around 12:00-1:45am last night.   Absolutely crazy lightning involved in that storm.  Damn near scary how much there was.  Puts us at over 10 inches since Saturday.   

Lake Waco is actually 5 feet high right now.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We got another  2+ inches from the storm that hit right around 12:00-1:45am last night.   Absolutely crazy lightning involved in that storm.  Damn near scary how much there was.  Puts us at over 10 inches since Saturday.   

Lake Waco is actually 5 feet high right now.  

Fuckin hell.  Only got a half inch last night.  

Not complaining but still

Edited by Post Oak

I don't follow how Lakes Conroe or Livingston are managed but it seemed like both caused downstream flooding relatively quickly with this storm. Don't they normally start releasing water in advance of storms that are expected to dump heavy rain in the area?

There was an emergency call with Harris county last night. They are saying Livingston is dumping water at Harvey level flow rates. Did the Trinity get a bunch of rain upstream?

Fortunately we are about to 

14 hours ago, Blotto said:

And some people were worried that Travis wouldnt benefit from all this rain.

image.png.07bc6111d8d8a35840841c13b2e7b5ab.png

Lulz

image.png.3ff471e5d06a6e538557bb3f21c06ed9.png

2.28 inches brah! (over the past 2 days)

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

There was an emergency call with Harris county last night. They are saying Livingston is dumping water at Harvey level flow rates. Did the Trinity get a bunch of rain upstream?

Rain bomb dumped right on the upper end of the lake - see all the flooding in Huntsville.  That water is all going to go downstream, just like it always did.  The floodgates pass through those floodwaters (at a lower peak rate than they were received, so they take the peak off the flow), but mother nature creates a river flood, you're going to get a river flood downstream, dam or no dam.

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Most of East Texas has been getting destroyed over the past 2-3 months. Trinity/Onalaska area had real bad flooding, prompting rescues, last weekend

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't follow how Lakes Conroe or Livingston are managed but it seemed like both caused downstream flooding relatively quickly with this storm. Don't they normally start releasing water in advance of storms that are expected to dump heavy rain in the area?

I'm pretty sure Lake Conroe is a constant-level lake, so any excess has to go downstream.

7 hours ago, troph said:

Drought monitor - LT watershed is the only place in Texas still in extreme drought. 

IMG_4683.jpeg

Also Medina Lake watershed (NW of San Antonio). The headwaters of the Medina River are pretty much dead center of the extreme drought blob. 

• Hook 'Em 2