Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Despite having their NIL game in order, I think a lot of older coaches are really getting burned out on recruiting being an NIL bidding war.  He used to just say "come to Bama.  We kick ass every year and send dozens of players to the league."  Now he has to tie $$ to it.  Not that there wasn't some hanky panky going on before, but just everyone now has their hand out.

Not only that, but you have to re-recruit the same players every year with this bullshit "everybody gets to transfer whenever" policy. College football is a shitshow right now, so I can see why Saban would want to exit. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 6

If he still has the chops, Carroll actually makes sense.  Nobody wants to follow a legend.  PC is obviously just in for a year, maybe two to keep things going.  He's got a CFB title and Super Bowl, and can ride off into the sunset whenever he wants after a LT coach is identified.  

STAY AWAY FROM SARK YOU FUCKING GUMPS
Not worried, the University of Texas is a destination school and Sark knows it. The Gumps can never outbid us either.

Sark also knows how insane being the first coach to follow the GOAT would be..he's experienced Gump fans first hand.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

When only a few schools were doing it, Saban could outbid them. Now that it is legal and everyone is doing it, Saban wants no part of it.

Exactly.  Saban wants no part of a world where a kid can make just as much money in LA or Austin as he can in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge.

This is a changing of the guard moment.  The future of college football is the schools with the deepest pockets and the sexiest destinations for a kid to build a brand.

And Saban knows it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Saban seems to genuinely like sark. Maybe he can come here and be an analyst 
Or he and miss Terry can go spend some of that money he's made with zero CFB insanity surrounding them. Tough choice

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Despite having their NIL game in order, I think a lot of older coaches are really getting burned out on recruiting being an NIL bidding war.  He used to just say "come to Bama.  We kick ass every year and send dozens of players to the league."  Now he has to tie $$ to it.  Not that there wasn't some hanky panky going on before, but just everyone now has their hand out.

This is what I've heard as well which is a driving factor for Vegas odds that Harbaugh goes to the NFL (Chargers with EVP personnel control). To hear the pundits talk, college football is now a 24/7/365 job that never ends whereas NFL has real downtime and a modicum of work/life balance.

When you are 60-70+ years old, that probably is the difference in years at the end of your life.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ousux said:
25 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:
Saban seems to genuinely like sark. Maybe he can come here and be an analyst 

Or he and miss Terry can go spend some of that money he's made with zero CFB insanity surrounding them. Tough choice

A nice house on the lake with room for his boat, a local Ferrari dealership to service his cars, and he can pop into Sark's office to shoot the shit/give advice any time he wants. 

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I disagree, he's quite likeable in his interviews on the Pat McAfee show. To each their own though.

Likeable? Sure. But replacing one of the most charismatic (before he went senile) personalities on one of the most watched sports program in college sports? I don't see that working, at all.

Me.
Quitting making 8 digits a year to be the most famous, powerful person in your state when you're still very good at your job? Pretty hard to walk away from.
72 years old with not many years left to spend the millions he's made. The only way I'd be surprised is if he truly thought he has the roster to win it all one more time next season. It ain't happening with Milroe and any QB they portal in would be a gamble.

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

A nice house on the lake with room for his boat, a local Ferrari dealership to service his cars, and he can pop into Sark's office to shoot the shit/give advice any time he wants. 

Word is he just bought a house in FL, Jupiter IIRC.  But yeah, doesnt mean he cant have two.  Would love to see him helping the good guys.  He'll make a fortune on the speaking tour. Every corporation in the country will have him, if he wants to go that route.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

So we have a home-and-home with Bama in 2028-29.

Many people are saying this is why Saban is retiring. 

Many people or "a lot of people"?  The truth will be revealed in tWO WEEKs!  

So serious question though---when does the 30-day portal extension for Bama players begin?  The day it's announced or in a few days when all the shit has probably been officially signed and notarized and filed or?  I would think a lot of people are going to wait until the very last minute of the very last hour of the very last business day considering this arguably the largest head coaching change in the sport in the last decade+, and certainly since the portal rules changes of the last few years.  

he can now make $5or 6 M a year to be a college football analyst with his only stress being which tie to wear on the TV
Or take a real retirement for a couple years and then come back to a TV gig if he really wants that. He's never looked that comfy in front of cameras...I'm sure he will be fine looking after his car dealerships and traveling the world.

Out of the coaches that Bama would consider, the vast majority will probably just use the opportunity for a pay bump at their own school. Nobody coaching at a school that can afford to match bama's offer wants to follow Saban at Bama. Jimmy Sexton gonna make another $20 mil this spring just in commissions for the coaching deals he's gonna orchestrate. 
I was about to say Sexton is the real winner in this retirement announcement. Most of his clients will simply get a hefty raise without leaving where they are now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ray Perkins
Bill Curry
Gene Stallings
Mike Dubose
Dennis Franchione
Mike Price
Mike Shula

Good luck to the next asshole that takes that job, especially operating at an NIL deficit relative to the other powers across college football and in their own conference. I'm sure the Bama fans will temper their expectations accordingly.

Career. Suicide. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire
  • Pancho locked this topic