Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

DeBoer has to prove it without a 25 year old transfer QB before he’s a home run 

Good point. Lincoln Reilly has not been able to prove it without a transfer QB.  In fact he has never even really tried.

16 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Rain in Seattle annually is close to Houston’s.  Half the winter days are clear/sunny, and 95%of  the summer.  The weather her kicks Texas’ ass.  This based on a lifetime of experience.

As someone who worked two stints in Seattle, this is bullshit.  Houston does get more rainfall (with about 1/4 of the actual rain days).

Its not even the rain up there.  Every day is some mixture of gloomy, foggy, overcast, and still wet from the day before.  The sun peeking out for an hour and half is not a clear and sunny day.  It's definitely depression-inducing weather.

Houston is hot and muggy as hell between it's week-long storms so this is real battle of midgets.

Edited by JBJ
Shits borked
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

As someone who worked two stints in Seattle, this is bullshit.  Houston does get more rainfall (with about 1/4 of the actual rain days).

Its not even the rain up there.  Every day is some mixture of gloomy, foggy, overcast, and still wet from the day before.  The sun peeking out for an hour and half is not a clear and sunny day.  It's definitely depression-inducing weather.

Houston is muggy as hell between having week-long storms so this is real battle of midgets.

Houston is muggy as hell between having week-long storms so this is real battle of midgets.

Classic Movies Agree GIF

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Houston is hot and muggy as hell between it's week-long storms so this is real battle of midgets.

Perspective can be subjective.   I’ve been here 12 years.  Don’t know how many stints that is equivalent to.  Beyond the weather, which is fine for me, I’m here for the beauty that hits me in the face every day.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Right - and Bama called me too but I told them I would rather spend my time being an asshole on Surly.  

Same.

Bama gave me a beeper. But I told them if it was during my surly peak posting hours…I figure. I mean I’m doing important shit here. 

IMG_8910.jpeg

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Rain in Seattle annually is close to Houston’s.  Half the winter days are clear/sunny, and 95%of  the summer.  The weather her kicks Texas’ ass.  This based on a lifetime of experience.

Youre Wrong Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

This is based on having lived in both places.  Seattle weather fucking blows.  You don't need Sun lamps in the winter in Houston.

1 minute ago, Horn Dogg said:

Just for fun, how long will Bama’s national championship drought last?  I’m guessing 50 years at a minimum.

Animated GIF

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Perspective can be subjective.   I’ve been here 12 years.  Don’t know how many stints that is equivalent to.  Beyond the weather, which is fine for me, I’m here for the beauty that hits me in the face every day.

image.png.5f27d6e1aab5200b02e962286051e05b.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Same.

Bama gave me a beeper. But I told them if it was during my surly peak posting hours…I figure. I mean I’m doing important shit here. 

IMG_8910.jpeg

No, Nick. Don't call her. Enjoy your retirement instead of ending up dead in Town Lake. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, troph said:

that's aggy level stupid.

Of course Bama didn't call McGuire to inquire about an interview. I would totally believe that McGuire gathered his captains together to tell them this bullshit story that they contacted him and he told them to kick rocks.

46 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Obviously I want Texas to win every year but them hiring Jimbo and him winning a Championship there would be hilarious. Some of the cult might start to realize that they are the problem.   

This thought actually occurred to me.

45 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Yeah Bama called me also.  I had to politely decline.  

Yep. Margot Robbie reached out to offer a "no strings" blow job and I had to tell her I'm happily married and would have to pass.

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This is based on having lived in both places.  Seattle weather fucking blows.  You don't need Sun lamps in the winter in Houston.

I've never spent a day in Seattle in my life and I know Houston's weather is worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Saban with Rece  Davis  just now said at his age adding more and more years head coaching to recruiting and continue on his same path he’s always been on. can’t do things the way he’s always done it and there’s never a good time to retire but he just couldn’t do things on the same level he’s been doing them and this year was a grind. He’s fine and Mrs Terry is fine (he is mainly worried about being able to keep up) and couldn’t withstand the season from a mental grind standpoint. Too much and too hard at his age. Felt he couldn’t burn the midnight oil anymore. Felt it was the right time since he couldn’t give what he’s been giving any more. 

fear of NIL confirmed

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Saban with Rece  Davis  just now said at his age adding more and more years head coaching to recruiting and continue on his same path he’s always been on. can’t do things the way he’s always done it and there’s never a good time to retire but he just couldn’t do things on the same level he’s been doing them and this year was a grind. He’s fine and Mrs Terry is fine (he is mainly worried about being able to keep up) and couldn’t withstand the season from a mental grind standpoint. Too much and too hard at his age. Felt he couldn’t burn the midnight oil anymore. Felt it was the right time since he couldn’t give what he’s been giving any more. 

So did he mention being afraid of sark and Texas? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

fear of NIL confirmed

I have no doubt that played a role. But I do believe to an extent what he was getting at: that he’s doing the team and his job a disservice if he can’t burn the midnight oil like he was able to in years past and said it was a grind and a strain this year especially. He mentioned health but nothing specific but was quick to mention his wife is fine. Sounds like also they wanted a 2-3 years more commitment and he knew he couldn’t do it physically and mentally. Then you have UT and OU coming in, NIL and portal, realignment and expectations of the fans and his expectations of himself that he can’t live up to. He couldn’t commit for 2-3 more years he said so I wonder if 1 more year was also too much. Better to go out in the final four almost winning that one I guess than uncertainty for 2024 which would be just as hard if not harder than 2023 was for him. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

You think he actually walked out of a meeting in the morning, and into the AD's office after his lunch break and said F-it, I'm done?

Yea I heard he was rewatching the Texas game in his office going “fuck how the fuck am I going to fucking compete with this fucking locomotive coming into the sec? I’m fucking done!”

stormed out quickly is what I heard through my sources. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

I can tell you who I would not want to see in Tuscaloosa, that is Chris Klieman. Those resources, game over man, but they wouldn’t consider him

Klieman has never proven he can recruit at the level necessary to win in the SEC. His highest rated recruit ever is Avery Johnson, a low 4 star. He is more about developing guys and great coaching, which are both awesome, but there is only so much of that you can get away with against Georgia, LSU, etc. when they can just out athlete you. 

Edited by Vertigo

Was recruiting really a grind for Satan? How many in home visits was he doing?

Mom of recruit: Son, Nick Saban is on the phone, he wants to come see you next week. 
Recruit: Tell him I’m not here, take a message. I’ll call him back after spring break. 
Noah Please!

• Haha 3

I wouldn’t say fear of NIL, but it’s a ton of extra work, and his age is a factor. Not only are you recruiting high schoolers, you’re recruiting the portal, and your own players, with money that requires even more booster butt kissing. I don’t sympathize with coaches that complain too much, because that’s part of your $5-$10M salaries. But I respect a 72 year old GOAT who’s ready to hang it up. The timing is what is odd.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

You think he actually walked out of a meeting in the morning, and into the AD's office after his lunch break and said F-it, I'm done?

I think he was struggling with it all this year and he said in the interview just now he was struggling with it right before he met with the team yesterday but is at peace with it. Truth all the changes in College football plus his age and the grind he wasn’t in it mentally and physically and he could hang it up. It was his mission to get as far as he could take the team this year. Thats what he told Rece and I am sure again though he didn’t say it in the interview there were other factors we all are posting about (NIL portal Texas/OU etc) 

Ross Dellenger thinks it will be DeBoer pretty much but he has no inside information. 

45 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If God does in fact exist, I hope it's Josh McDaniels. 

Talked to a buddy at the gym this morning who is from Boston.  He wants to get the band back together in New England.  Vrabel as HC with McHoodie and Mayo as his coordinators.  I doubt that will work as well as he thinks, but they want to hold on to that Belichick success somehow.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I wouldn’t say fear of NIL, but it’s a ton of extra work, and his age is a factor. Not only are you recruiting high schoolers, you’re recruiting the portal, and your own players, with money that requires even more booster butt kissing. I don’t sympathize with coaches that complain too much, because that’s part of your $5-$10M salaries. But I respect a 72 year old GOAT who’s ready to hang it up. The timing is what is odd.

He said just five years ago he could stay up until two in the morning looking at film and such. Said it was near impossible to do that this past year and get up and be ready to rock and roll. 

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire