2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Yep. It all comes down to a handful of districts in a handful of states. 

As if we needed further proof that our political system is an archaic mess.

The only snag is that the archaic mess is that it is exactly what was designed to prevent pure democracy governing our country.  if you imagine a political world where New York, California, Texas, and Florida were in alignment politically, they would essentially run everything in the country from now to the end of time. So we have Senators from places like Idaho and North Dakota - and an electoral college - to prevent the Democratic will of large population centers deciding what people will do in small states - even if they disagree.

Which is all to say, the system works great when you’re in the majority, and also have like thinking Senators and voters in important electoral college states. You think the system works terribly when you are in the majority and the Senators in less populated states and voters in large electoral vote wielding states disagree with you.

I don’t blame the system so much as I blame the idiot, ignorant gullible voters who live in those states.   If one third of our country weren’t regarded hypocrites and traitor wannabes- you would think the system worked fine.

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Republicans: "XYZ is happening!!"

Democrats: "No it's not. That's ridiculous."

Republicans: "Yes it is! And it's terrible! And you're terrible for doing it! And now we're going to do XYZ all of the time!"

Democrats: "Again, that isn't at all what's happening...."

Rinse and repeat.

Reverse the Rs and Ds in this equation and it is still accurate.  But the Rs are denying reality in that scenario.  It's 180 degrees.  My in laws were on the phone this morning and both they and my wife agreed the country was completely broken.  Sadly, they think it's for completely opposite and imaginary reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Looking through the numbers and questions from that poll. There's just wild stuff that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not a "polls are garbage" guy. Just stuff that stands out as surprising to me.

The headline of the poll:

image.png.39dd54eee3bca75397f2864bc8ba7403.png

But Trump is getting a 14% bump from the people who voted for him in 2020?  And Biden won the popular vote 51/47, yet this shows 44/34 among those surveyed?

image.png.21e50aa1bcfa2a7fbe83d1e8b751ad98.png

A huge jump in "unlikely to vote in a primary" that seems to come largely from the Dem side? 

image.png.5db369a756ef3f4af55fcddb149e8724.png

Phillips hasn't broken 3% in any state. This has him at 12% among Dems:

image.png.c60adb0cbeb77849125061b82363b459.png

I don't know how so many people can say the economy is poor. It's a huge number. I understand that inflation sucks but I guess I underestimate how much people hate it. People are seeing record low unemployment and record high market values. Yet it's overwhelmingly said to be "poor." Do people have no concept of what a poor economy really looks like? 

What's also weird is that the good/excellent jumped six points over the last poll in July, but the number rating it poor also jumped two points.

image.png.5b7339d5e4057c0ebe652fce5b62790c.png

53% think Trump has committed serious federal crime, yet the poll gives him 48% of the vote?

image.png.c669f2306b0211a2e4d6731eddcab76f.png

Of the independents, 46% lean more Republican? That seems high to me.

image.png.c5bdcb775dff0d4f50e5a67e88eba64e.png

+6 on the Republican side (self declared and independents that lean Republican)?

image.png.bd89392a7e683a6a827588736347b605.png

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

2 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

An actually good poll, holy shit.

This lefty sadsterbation along with the Ezra Klein’s theory that Joe Biden should not seek a Second term so we can have an open convention is so peak Democrat.

Sack up libs. 
If love democracy do much you’re going to have to go to war with a feeble old man.

Thems the breaks.

You don’t go to war with the army you want but the one you got.

Want it more.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

This lefty sadsterbation along with the Ezra Klein’s theory that Joe Biden should not seek a Second term so we can have an open convention is so peak Democrat.

Sack up libs. 
If love democracy do much you’re going to have to go to war with a feeble old man.

Thems the breaks.

You don’t go to war with the army you want but the one you got.

Want it more.

So is saying you'll stay home, or you don't like X issue, so you won't vote for a person.

Meanwhile, Republicans vote Republican no matter what. Dems let perfect be the enemy of good. Republicans DGAF because they know having their guy in office is better than the alternative. Dems need to figure that out.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

also, it didn’t say in your snip what the landline/mobile respondent % was.  That might matter, or it might be true that only people that still have and answer land lines would answer a cell call from an unknown number. 

This:

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

What percentage of people don't answer an unfamiliar number? I couldn't even tell you the last time I did that. 

People who are answering unknown numbers (or in some cases they may even be labeled as spam or political depending on your phone model) are one or more of the following

• Expecting a phone call for some reason (maybe an auto mechanic or a delivery etc,)
  • Old
  • Desperate to talk to somebody 
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Let's see how November goes but this election unlike any other in our history will tell us who we are as a country. Its all out in the open now. Regardless of the outcome, we will get what we deserve. That much is true.

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

The GOP is no longer hiding the racism, the desire to control women, and the theocratic and dictatorial tendencies.  It’s all out in the open and Trump and his sycophants are putting it front and center for everybody to pass around on social media.  

If it wasn’t batshit insane, it’d be almost impressive that they’ve publicly revealed their inner selves.  I give them credit for not hiding it any more.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Anybody still openly and proudly admitting that they voted for Trump is a true believer (or, at least voting R no matter what). Not too worried about them. I'm much more worried about "No, I won't tell you who I voted for in 2020. I dislike Trump, but..." guy.

Yep.  If politics come up with someone and they say the word “but” after saying something negative about Trump, they are voting for Trump.  Or if someone says anything negative about Biden without immediately confirming they are still voting for him, they are voting for Trump.

Any sane person knows the stakes, and knows Trump cannot be allowed to be president.  If there’s any ambiguity in a person’s opinion about the 2024 election, then they have been reading/watching/listening to brain poison and they are going to vote for Trump.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

59 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So is saying you'll stay home, or you don't like X issue, so you won't vote for a person.

Meanwhile, Republicans vote Republican no matter what. Dems let perfect be the enemy of good. Republicans DGAF because they know having their guy in office is better than the alternative. Dems need to figure that out.

Yep.

as much as I would be pained to see it, one does have to marvel at the Republicans ability to come back from the brink / New Deal / FDR / Great Society and take maybe the best and most inclusive (after civil rights and still far from great… far) form of government ever on earth and completely hollow it out / trash it.

That takes commitment to dismantle something so thoroughly from within.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

And yet the general narrative is that Biden can't put two words together. That's not frustrating or anything. Another great job of messaging from the dems.

Who do you think is the one blasting that narrative? It’s the media 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

Why hasn’t the Democratic Party given me 10k for a coke party where I invite Don Jr. not doing so is a TERRIBLE strategy if we want to win. Are they even trying to win Texas

-board full of “former” republicans

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Sounds like me trying to argue geopolitics after a night out with the boys when the wife and kids are out of town and I've just housed a solid 2 lb's of moist burnt ends.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The fact that he isn't going to lose by tens of millions is an indictment of our country. 

Meh.  There’s several million more in large blue states that would get out against him if it made a difference.  Sadly w the electoral college their votes don’t matter.

edit: do agree w you guys in that there’s plenty wrong w the country.  But it’s a fact Trump would have 0% chance if it was a simple popular vote.   

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

tulsi was one of those idiots. 

Never forget when Hillary said an unnamed Dem was a favorite of the Russians and Tulsi lost her shit about it 

schitts creek wow GIF by CBC

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

Ironic since his kid, Eric literally looks like what would appear if you said "Chickenpox" three times into a mirror at summer camp. 

AHHH, what the fuck is that?????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

-What, this is just how my face looks.-

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, mchookem said:

he's not confused, he's a liar.

At this point, I doubt even he knows. Just say whatever sounds good in the moment. It's not like he'll face any kind of consequences for doing so. 

Yeah, you gotta give him credit.  he slides between senile dimentia and flat-out serial lying pretty fucking smooth actually.  That's actually not that easy to pull off.  Or so the Germans would have me believe...