Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

9 minutes ago, elguapo said:

This seems really thought out by Musk. Wonder what's going to happen when Carlson realizes he doesn't have the same caliber of attorneys to cover his ass like at Fox.  The inevitable lawsuits aren't going to cut into Twitter's negative bottom line at all, I'd wager. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

As Tucker gets ready to launch his show on Twitter, important to note that Elon Musk’s own politics are nuanced and difficulT to identify. 

So Twitter is hemorrhaging money, can’t pay rent or bills, can’t generate subscribers, but has millions to pay Tucker Carlson for a tv show… that will be broadcast on Twitter, which of course we all know as a website that has tv shows. 

Blarg, I’m mostly mad bc after this gets sent around by email forwards, my mother in law is going to call me and ask how to set her up on Twitter 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Blarg, I’m mostly mad bc after this gets sent around by email forwards, my mother in law is going to call me and ask how to set her up on Twitter 

This is exactly what Elon wants. If you think the olds have gone crazy watching Fox News and reading FB, being on Twitter will take them into a new stratosphere of craziness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, MrBig said:

This is exactly what Elon wants. If you think the olds have gone crazy watching Fox News and reading FB, being on Twitter will take them into a new stratosphere of craziness. 

Also going to be super easy getting Ma and Pa MAGA to cough up $$$ for that blue check.

6 hours ago, Foosters said:

At this point, if you still have a Twitter account and visit the site you just might want to hold off on the Elon criticism. You're part of the problem and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills watching some of you breathlessly describe Twitter as a right-wing, violent, racist, and anti-Semitic breeding ground, while casually logging on every morning to see some memes.

Mine honestly hasn't changed one bit.

My feed right now is Dan Casey breaking down Yeoman's Triple Option.  Followed by Blake Gideon tweeting about Diggs.  An ad for reading glasses, Bijan, JPA Football, PFF, HayesFawcett.

The people seeking out stuff to rage post here are literally training the algorithm to keep sending them stuff like that.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

As Tucker gets ready to launch his show on Twitter, important to note that Elon Musk’s own politics are nuanced and difficulT to identify. 

I wonder if Elmo is trying to kamikaze section 230 by elevating and hosting a fascist propagandist on their platform while claiming it to just be simple user content

39 minutes ago, NoName said:

...it's so secret it's on their website, streamed for free on youtube and they published the agenda and speaker list.

this is amongst the least secret summits in the history of the planet.

want to know why the election officials from Maricopa County are there?

image.thumb.png.afc26c4f49345357791c172ca4fce052.png

what about Arizona?

image.thumb.png.97618c4be89385359913a60113b083b5.png

what about Georgia?

image.thumb.png.bd35752b0ea56834e9f2a58b7e6a1c20.png

i counted ten different sec of states for day 1 of the event. there are a handful there on day 2's agenda.

Only true masochists watch C-SPAN, so yeah, I guess secret since nobody would accidentally flip to CSPAN.

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Are the Cybertruck and those shovels really just stolen props from the set of Moonraker?  Are we even sure they’re not just cardboard?

It has a name, and it's name was Damnation Alley, Roger Fucking Zelazny wrote it, and it starred the late, great Jan Michael Vincent, George Fuckin' Peppard.

damnation8.jpg

0062-e1310336868676-1024x429.jpg

MV5BYTdmNjk4OTItYzI2OC00OTNhLWJlYWUtMDU4

il_fullxfull.4444232922_gz5e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It has a name, and it's name was Damnation Alley, Roger Fucking Zelazny wrote it, and it starred the late, great Jan Michael Vincent, George Fuckin' Peppard.

damnation8.jpg

0062-e1310336868676-1024x429.jpg

MV5BYTdmNjk4OTItYzI2OC00OTNhLWJlYWUtMDU4

il_fullxfull.4444232922_gz5e.jpg

Say what you will, but that Jan Michael Vincent was a pretty man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

How much longer will news creators keep using Twitter with elmo going all in on the press as the "enemy of the people" stuff? I doubt many will publicly announce like NPR and just stop. Same with advertisers. I doubt any of the big brands will announce that they are not paying for twitter ads anymore and just stop. Promoting lies about white supremacy and mass shootings has to be heading to the end of any justification to keep advertising, right? I also like the realtime news and information from reputable sources on twitter. I hope mastadon or the other one take off soon and put elmo out of business.

Plenty of big brands have already left, and for those of us still having to stick around either for stuff we can't find elsewhere, or for other reasons, a lot of the ads are shit ads - they are local or fringe/smaller companies that are probably getting a big discount.

Don't forget - Twitter is only the 15th or 16th largest social media platform, so advertisers have options - they'll play it safe with Facebook, YouTube, etc.

I think things will drastically change by the end of this year, and Elon's continued descent into InfoWars/Qanon territory will speed it up.  I know people who are transitioning to Mastodon, post.social, Bluesky, etc., but it's taking some time.  I will not be surprised if Facebook is cooking up something privately either.

Lest we forget, Surly exists because we had to mass migrate off of ShaggyBevo, but we are a fairly singular community compared to something like twitter.  We moved from one BBS to another BBS with basically the same topics.  With twitter, it's having to move people who have a shit-ton of different interests and followers from one platform to a different platform, and for the content consumers, they are watching the people they follow move to different platforms, and for the content creators they are having to figure out where their audience is going to go, and there are financial considerations as well (easy for us to throw shade at some, but if it's paying their mortgage, they've got a thread the needle).

I ultimately made SubStack my priority, although I've got Mastodon and post.social accounts that I am using, but SubStack is benefiting me financially in the long run.  I'm using Mastodon and post.social to steer people to my SubStack and website stuff.  Ironically, SubStack is far better for me than Twitter/Facebook ever were, both financially, but also in other ways, so the move is good for me, and I wish I had made it a year or two ago. I can see why Musk was so pissed off at SubStack and was blocking/replacing their links for a while.

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I really don't think Twitter will pay him much.  Everyone knows the Fox News timeslot makes the man, not the other way around.  Bill O'Reilly and Megan Kelly had no actual audience of their own that followed them after they left Fox.  Tucker just needs some platform that will let him broadcast so he can get some grifts going.  He'd probably pay Twitter for the privilege.  Hell, he may even have a noncompete that prevents him from going to Newsmax or wherever, so free streaming his own internet show might be his only option.

Tucker is not allowed to move to Newsmax/OANN until I think 2025, so twitter may be it, although his lawyers are fighting to get him out of the contract.

And yeah, Twitter is not paying him $30 million a year, or even $10 million a year.  He's probably getting a sweetheart deal, like 75% (or more) of the advertising revenue generated by his account.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So Twitter is hemorrhaging money, can’t pay rent or bills, can’t generate subscribers, but has millions to pay Tucker Carlson for a tv show… that will be broadcast on Twitter, which of course we all know as a website that has tv shows. 

Sign her up for tinder instead 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i don't understand how FSD isn't a license to the driver/owner - that's how they are handling it when you sell your car, they are/were stripping out FSD for a while I thought.

That's exactly what they were saying in that thread. The nice thing for mosk is that when you buy any of his vehicles you're waiving your right to a jury trial and to a class action suit and agreeing to arbitration. Also if you were an early buyer of fsd, they simply decided you're no longer eligible for any updates.

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Mine honestly hasn't changed one bit.

My feed right now is Dan Casey breaking down Yeoman's Triple Option.  Followed by Blake Gideon tweeting about Diggs.  An ad for reading glasses, Bijan, JPA Football, PFF, HayesFawcett.

The people seeking out stuff to rage post here are literally training the algorithm to keep sending them stuff like that.

raw

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Well it is a little political now:

Screenshot_20230509_194008_Twitter.thumb.jpg.2a99367a758d94b2f0923f995cb4768f.jpg

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Your use of the term "training" is absurd. In the context of twitter -- and I'm not one who's complained about their feed because I don't have one -- it's literally reading.

I figured he was using the term in the context of the technology involved, in which it is pretty common to say something like "train the model" or "train the algorithm" or "training data". In the case of twitter, at least as I understand it, each user is essentially contributing training data to tailor the weightings for various content to their patterns of use and engagement. 

Edited by Anastasis
the real OG.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I figured he was using the term in the context of the technology involved, in which it is pretty common to say something like "train the model" or "train the algorithm" or "training data". In the case of twitter, at least as I understand it, each user is essentially contributing training data to tailor the weightings for various content to their patterns of use and engagement. 

Yeah.  Thought that would be obvious.  You click something and you get more of it.  I'm pretty sure the share button is one the worst to press in that regard.

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Yeah.  Thought that would be obvious.  You click something and you get more of it.  I'm pretty sure the share button is one the worst to press in that regard.

Well people who've "rage posted" as you put it, without any hint of bias whatsoever, have given no indication they've used the "share button," whatever the fuck that is. Do you find yourself using the "share button" a lot? As for training the model, that's not what users on twitter are doing, is it? They're literally reading the site, using it as they did since day 1. And since elno has taken over the site, it's changed drastically in the favor of incels and racists. Anyone with eyes can see it. Many, many articles, many, many twitter users have written about it. Somehow you're unaffected. Sure, okay. But your implication is somehow that nothing has changed since elno gained control. Either you use the site differently than many others, or you're full of shit. I don't know which but please hit the button and share more about your singular and unique experience.  

• Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Oh I’m sure this will go swimmingly!

Elno is the one tech ceo less trustworthy and more dumb than zuckerberg, no wonder he's reaching up the ladder trying to pull him down.

"So you can talk to people anywhere in the world without giving them your phone number."

In a subsequent comment fired off on Twitter, Musk contended that the WhatsApp messaging service operated by Meta "cannot be trusted."

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Elno is the one tech ceo less trustworthy and more dumb than zuckerberg, no wonder he's reaching up the ladder trying to pull him down.

So how much do we think Zuckerberg will pay for twitter next year, and will he be allowed to?  Twitter is not even close to being a top-10 social media platform, so maybe the anti-trust stuff skates by?

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Plenty of big brands have already left, and for those of us still having to stick around either for stuff we can't find elsewhere, or for other reasons, a lot of the ads are shit ads - they are local or fringe/smaller companies that are probably getting a big discount.

Don't forget - Twitter is only the 15th or 16th largest social media platform, so advertisers have options - they'll play it safe with Facebook, YouTube, etc.

I think things will drastically change by the end of this year, and Elon's continued descent into InfoWars/Qanon territory will speed it up.  I know people who are transitioning to Mastodon, post.social, Bluesky, etc., but it's taking some time.  I will not be surprised if Facebook is cooking up something privately either.

Lest we forget, Surly exists because we had to mass migrate off of ShaggyBevo, but we are a fairly singular community compared to something like twitter.  We moved from one BBS to another BBS with basically the same topics.  With twitter, it's having to move people who have a shit-ton of different interests and followers from one platform to a different platform, and for the content consumers, they are watching the people they follow move to different platforms, and for the content creators they are having to figure out where their audience is going to go, and there are financial considerations as well (easy for us to throw shade at some, but if it's paying their mortgage, they've got a thread the needle).

I ultimately made SubStack my priority, although I've got Mastodon and post.social accounts that I am using, but SubStack is benefiting me financially in the long run.  I'm using Mastodon and post.social to steer people to my SubStack and website stuff.  Ironically, SubStack is far better for me than Twitter/Facebook ever were, both financially, but also in other ways, so the move is good for me, and I wish I had made it a year or two ago. I can see why Musk was so pissed off at SubStack and was blocking/replacing their links for a while.

I primarily engaged with the infosec community on Twitter which migrated to Mastodon months ago. Given the audience the Mastodon move made sense. However, there no longer is an overlap of other topics I liked.

On the old Twitter, I could read a thread on someone's "how to" remotely hack an oven while enabling sabbath mode then laugh at Kyle Umlang trolling aggy at the same time.

The balkanization of all the Twitter communities is the worst part of the Musk take over. Content creators moving to the various different platforms sucks.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So how much do we think Zuckerberg will pay for twitter next year, and will he be allowed to?  Twitter is not even close to being a top-10 social media platform, so maybe the anti-trust stuff skates by?

Exactly, this stuff doesn’t even really matter. Twitter is a nothingburger. That’s why no one posts about it here. 

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

yes. Like on Instagram, just scroll down to suggested reels and it will show you what you like/want to see. My suggested reels are either hot chicks or tennis related, or hot chicks AND tennis related. My wife’s are all interior design junk. 

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tucker is not allowed to move to Newsmax/OANN until I think 2025, so twitter may be it, although his lawyers are fighting to get him out of the contract.

And yeah, Twitter is not paying him $30 million a year, or even $10 million a year.  He's probably getting a sweetheart deal, like 75% (or more) of the advertising revenue generated by his account.

6 hours ago, F250 said:

The balkanization of all the Twitter communities is the worst part of the Musk take over. Content creators moving to the various different platforms sucks.

Same happened with good chunks of the epi/stats/med Twitter. I don’t get all the nazi shit that some feeds here apparently get run with. I also don’t use the algo based “for you” feed and try to stick to the “following” feed unless I am very bored and want to catch a whiff of whatever crazy the machine thinks I want to see. The quantity and perspective of voices are fewer, but at lesser in my feed that appears to be the result of people self selecting off the platform. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Tucker is going to get pissed all the way around. they are NOT set up for longform video, their player sucks, their player doesn't hold where you are when you close the window, they don't have a way to insert ads dynamically into the tool and i saw somewhere he has to make like $25m to make it worth his while with his existing noncompete?

good luck with that.

also, if you want a good laugh

2mvei0m8qxya1.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

"Our sales staff recommend purchasing cybertruck along with a dielsel truck with a winch, from a manufacturer of your choice, and bringing a friend along with you for those electric moments you drive like a madman on an off-road excursion, or even go splash in a puddle or pull onto an unpaved shoulder. Also you should check out our blank Tesla black t-shirts. They have just the right amount of elastic to keep it snug and make you feel even more special while driving cybertruck. We all wear them and it would be really cool if you were one of us. By the way did I mention there's a 0.5% discount if you've been a blue check subscriber on twitter for at least a year? Just write your twitter username in the proper spot on both the loan certificate and the purchase document. How awesome would it be for Elon to look you up on Twitter and read your DMs?!! Also just want to make you aware the tires you'll be getting are from a brand new Elon company. We're doing an acid test with them right now and it appears they give your truck a 200% performance boost! So cool, right?!!!"

Edited by Chopper
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Also just want to make you aware the tires you'll be getting are from a brand new Elon company. We're doing an acid test with them right now and it appears they give your truck a 200% performance boost! So cool, right?!!!"

And for just $5,000 more, we will unlock the grooves in your tires so that you can drive in the rain!  Elon says that once it’s out of beta and we work the kinks out, we may even allow all CyberTruck to have a free month of being able to drive in the rain.

• Haha 7

17 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I really don't think Twitter will pay him much.  Everyone knows the Fox News timeslot makes the man, not the other way around.  Bill O'Reilly and Megan Kelly had no actual audience of their own that followed them after they left Fox.  Tucker just needs some platform that will let him broadcast so he can get some grifts going.  He'd probably pay Twitter for the privilege.  Hell, he may even have a noncompete that prevents him from going to Newsmax or wherever, so free streaming his own internet show might be his only option.

Just to add to this - Bill O’Reilly had the top ratings for 16 years in a row in his time slot when he got canned, and that 16 year streak meant Jack shit the moment he was off of Fox News.  If Musk had any ability to understand something as simple as that, he’d stay away from Tucker and treat him like just another Twitter user. Which maybe Musk is doing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Let me guess.

Someone close to Elon had a eureka moment from his teenage years where he went muddin' in his dad's old F-250, and thought "you know, we really need to take The Cyber [note: I'm assuming the Tesla folk call this thing "The Cyber" instead of its full name] out muddin' so we can show off what it can do!".  So they loaded up with a camera crew trailing behind to document this event to use on Twitter, the Internets, everywhere so they could show just what kind of badass truck they have.

Also, I really can't tell from the photos, but this Cyber appears to have the tool rack attachment we all saw yesterday. If that's the case, I wonder if those pretty shiny shovels were put to use in an attempt to extract the mighty Cyber from the "swamp" it is stuck in.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Let me guess.

Someone close to Elon had a eureka moment from his teenage years where he went muddin' in his dad's old F-250, and thought "you know, we really need to take The Cyber [note: I'm assuming the Tesla folk call this thing "The Cyber" instead of its full name] out muddin' so we can show off what it can do!".  So they loaded up with a camera crew trailing behind to document this event to use on Twitter, the Internets, everywhere so they could show just what kind of badass truck they have.

Also, I really can't tell from the photos, but this Cyber appears to have the tool rack attachment we all saw yesterday. If that's the case, I wonder if those pretty shiny shovels were put to use in an attempt to extract the mighty Cyber from the "swamp" it is stuck in.

Reminds me of this video, clearly driving his dad's BMW.

• Haha 3

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?