Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

4 hours ago, Stilicho said:

Lol. I didn’t think he’d actually go and find that pic.

In the Musktard language, "Let me see if I can dig up that old photo" translates to, "It's saved to my favorites file along with the pic of me wearing a giant prosthetic penis!"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

So I’m thinking the apartheid stuff might have influenced him 

image.thumb.jpeg.de9c854759d0c6d15158df8268f262f7.jpeg

Yes. Saving lives would be novel and bewildering to someone who views empathy as a burdensome vice and has the foresight of a goldfish. Just fucking baffling to a poll-watching, attention-starving, ladder-yanking immigrant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stilicho said:

Lol. I didn’t think he’d actually go and find that pic. 

He “found” the gun pic but he’s wearing the same clothes and boots he was wearing earlier. Like those chicks who post before and after weight loss pics but don’t realize they’re wearing the same fucking clothes.

• Haha 8

I noticed the clothes as well. 

Thought no way is this dude cringy enough to stage a “past photo.”

This dude is one of the richest assholes in the history of humanity and he’s out here simping for internet points from the 4chan crowd. 

Mind bottling. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I know is beside the point, but the q-anon and do-anything-to-get-a-retweet accounts on twitter spent about ten years creating some kind of parallel universe version of Angela Merkel where she was a liberal/left wing european and a gigantic failure of a leader. They would very often show off their knowledge of German politics by pointing out what a failure Merkel was, and were never shy about connecting stuff they don't like to Merkel. Blurry videos of crowds of immigrants, confusing graphs about solar power, whatever they could get their hand on. Related to the love of Putin, this stuff has been going on for over a decade. The messed up incentives of twitter before and after Elon meant that stuff like that would just go on and on. Literally any anonymous account would pretend to be an expert on geopolitics. I get that she has been out of power for almost two years now.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This. Hip firing a fucking long-distance rifle is not the flex he thinks it is. It’s just stupid. It’s like having a quick-draw contest with a scoped Weatherby Mark V in 30/06…I mean…why? It’s the kind of idiotic thing that someone who wants to flex, but understands zero about firearms….ohhhhh, I get it.

It's also the kind of ignorant shit that a tourist visiting Texas thinks Texans do.   Straight-up dumbass tourism 101.

7 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I didn’t watch the video. Do you mean he’s not shooting an automatic?

Okay, so I had to look because I was curious if Barrett made any auto stuff.  Nope.  The closest they came is making a lightweight M240 for a US Army competition, but they aren't even going to produce it, but instead license it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240_machine_gun#Barrett_240

Everything else they make is single-shot, or semi with only a 5-10 round magazine.

Which means Elmo "hip-fired" a .50 that only had 5-10 rounds in it, while walking.  And the one I fired didn't have much recoil for being a .50 (I expected more).

e9756ca5-fa6c-4720-aa1b-1f9cc38d77e4_tex

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I don't know shit about guns but why is he holding a rifle that has a tripod affixed?

Well, that might not be all that strange for a light MG, which is also not designed to be hip fired, but sometimes is, in exigent circumstances.

300px-PEO_M240B_Profile.jpg

But in this case, that is essentially a sniper rifle.  Mostly for sniping vehicles, but same principle.  There's no real occasion to shoot a rifle like that from the hip.  It's a precision rifle built for accuracy, not laying down fire.

ETA A waste of expensive ammo, kind of like about half the shit the black rifle crowd seems to do.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Well, that might not be all that strange for a light MG, which is also not designed to be hip fired, but sometimes is, in exigent circumstances.
But in this case, that is essentially a sniper rifle.  Mostly for sniping vehicles, but same principle.  There's no real occasion to shoot a rifle like that from the hip.  It's a precision rifle built for accuracy, not laying down fire.

But…and work with me here….what if you’re a pathetic loser who wants to play gun gun bang bang?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thanks for the explanation. A bipod makes more sense for whomever owns the gun. I thought it was a tripod because I thought the grip had some sort of post on it but zoomed in it looks more like a rope?

image.png.1652278c35ff2e9bd467572b38cc8352.png

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Thanks for the explanation. A bipod makes more sense for whomever owns the gun. I thought it was a tripod because I thought the grip had some sort of post on it but zoomed in it looks more like a rope?

image.png.1652278c35ff2e9bd467572b38cc8352.png

No, you're right, part of the rifle.

M107A1-29-BBL-BLK.png

Things weigh close to 30 lbs, actually more than the M240 machine gun shown above.  So, probably not a lot of fun to try to keep shouldered when making a precision shot.  Cheek weld is kind of a bitch when the rifle weighs 3x a normal rifle.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Musk bought Twitter to control information 

no, he bought twitter because he made some smartass offer for them, at a premium that the board couldn't NOT take seriously, waived due diligence which would have absolutely let him have enough to either renegotiate or get out of it entirely, then tried to get out of it, then spent money trying to get out of it, then was required to buy it

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:00 PM, washparkhorn said:

Full interview. Painful - “CEO in name only” 

I finally caught this, oh man this was a mess. She got totally skewered on this interview - it's really embarrassing. She was woefully prepared for this interview. She was trying to run out talking points, but was being asked real honest questions. Boorstin blows her up. And these aren't hard questions, these are things she should have been ready to answer, knew that were coming and had answers for. She doesn't even have basic number of like how many users Twitter has in a particular time period. It was super cringe.

And for someone that is talking about how exciting it is to work at Twitter because of how quickly you have to be able to move in real time - she demonstrated none of this.

And they are trying to play this off that Yoel Roth (former head of Twitter safety) was some gotcha booking for the conference - just no. Kara Swisher did his interview and Yaccarino was fully aware it was going to happen. They even were given a chance to do their interview before Roth went on. I would recommend this feed which has both back to back (though they were an hour or two apart in reality).

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I finally caught this, oh man this was a mess. She got totally skewered on this interview - it's really embarrassing. She was woefully prepared for this interview. She was trying to run out talking points, but was being asked real honest questions. Boorstin blows her up. And these aren't hard questions, these are things she should have been ready to answer, knew that were coming and had answers for. She doesn't even have basic number of like how many users Twitter has in a particular time period. It was super cringe.

And for someone that is talking about how exciting it is to work at Twitter because of how quickly you have to be able to move in real time - she demonstrated none of this.

If you stop and think about it, it probably wasn't too surprising - she was a marketing person, who was used to giving out fluff interviews when rolling out or announcing new offerings, shows, etc..  The media she was dealing with were more than happy to treat her with kid gloves, because they needed the big inside scoops on what shows were going to be renewed or picked up, and they saved the hard questions for her bosses.

The media she is dealing with now, particularly at Code 2023, well first she's doing it as The Boss, so she's being held accountable, and second, she's not there as a cheerleader, she's there to discuss why twitter is fucking up and what they plan on doing to untuck it.  Which is just add more shit to it, while probably reducing services elsewhere.

From LiberallyLean:

It takes a special kind of ghoul to be the richest man in the world who wants to cosplay as a cowboy in order gaze upon the poorest people in the world being detained.

image%20(9).png

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

From LiberallyLean:

It takes a special kind of ghoul to be the richest man in the world who wants to cosplay as a cowboy in order gaze upon the poorest people in the world being detained.

image%20(9).png

Dumb motherfucker does it dressed all in black as well, because the dumb motherfucker is basically a tourist here and thinks he's making a fashion statement that will get him clicks/likes.  I'd like to see him spend a few hours working outside on a ranch when it's sunny while dressed all in black.

I mean, look at this random photo I pulled off the internet of some random guy in the sunlight, now imagine Elmo getting out in the sun like that but dressed head-to-toe in black.

musk-ss-4.png.webp

elon-musk-vacation-yacht_57-1.jpg?qualit

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

These two options are not mutually exclusive.

True enough, but the real issue is that smart people will never offer you lots of praise for saying things that are fairly obviously true.  You have to be capable of genuine insight beyond the norm— and even really smart people can only offer that on certain topics they know about.  So you limit the praise you get. 

But stupid people will offer heaping amounts of praise for just saying the dumbest shit imaginable across the spectrum. And it’s much easier to be dumb about everything than it is to be smart about just a few things. So if you’re after affirmation, the smart play is to be a total gotdamn chowderhead. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Heh a year ago you would've been accused of """CR'ing the thread""" to point something like that out. What a shock there's receipts and everything to back up the concerns of what elmo would do once he bought TWTR

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Heh a year ago you would've been accused of """CR'ing the thread""" to point something like that out. What a shock there's receipts and everything to back up the concerns of what elmo would do once he bought TWTR

It does show that he doesn't have nearly as many original thoughts as his fanboys and the CEO of twitter would have us believe.

• Hook 'Em 1

re: the college kid lawsuit

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1708859836610290106.html

Spoiler
In 2018, I filed the first defamation lawsuits against Alex Jones, ultimately discrediting him in court. Today, I am proud to announce I have filed suit against yet another notorious disseminator of false information: The owner of this platform, Elon Musk.
This new lawsuit was filed on behalf of Ben Brody, a 22-year-old recent college graduate who has been forced to take action due to Musk’s astonishingly reckless conduct here on Twitter.

So it seems fitting to post a Twitter thread to provide some information for the media and public about the case. Here is my statement:

The lawsuit alleges that on June 27th, in yet another example of his growing tendency to spread false information, Musk falsely told the world there was evidence indicating Ben Brody participated in a violent street brawl on behalf of a neo-Nazi extremist group.

Musk also falsely told the world that that Ben Brody’s alleged participation in the extremist brawl meant the incident was probably a “false flag” operation to deceive the American public.

Musk made these ridiculously false and damaging accusations based on a tweet he had seen from an anonymous rightwing extremist Twitter account from the revolting “Groyper” subculture. Musk amplified the accusations for two days before finally defaming Ben himself on June 27th.

The story begins on June 24th during Portland’s Pride Night, when multiple rightwing extremist groups, irritated and triggered by the idea of public solidarity with queer people, decided to attend the event to vent their bigotry and intimidate Pride Night celebrants.

However, during the event, a street brawl developed between a group of extremist Proud Boys and rival group Rose City Nationalists, a fellow rightwing extremist gang that uses neo-Nazi aesthetics.

During the brawl, two masked members of the Rose City Nationalists had their masks removed. Video of the incident went viral on June 25th. Numerous online influencers urged their followers to identify the unmasked members.

An anonymous internet user located a photo of Ben Brody on the social media account of his Jewish fraternity at UC Riverside. Based on nothing more than a passing resemblance between Ben and the unmasked neo-Nazi, an accusation was made.

The social media post for Ben’s fraternity stated that Ben planned to work for the government after college. Online accusers insisted this meant Ben was participating in a “false flag” to create an illusion of white supremacist gangs.

On June 25th, a Dogecoin-themed Twitter user showed Musk a tweet from an anonymous rightwing extremist “Groyper” account making the accusation against Ben Brody, which included screenshots of the fraternity’s social media post stating Ben planned to work for the government.

Musk responded by stating, “Very odd.” While not yet defamation, this was already pretty bad. Musk was amplifying unvetted slander against an innocent young man being disseminated by an anonymous extremist troll and an anonymous cryptocurrency fan.

As detailed in Ben’s lawsuit, numerous Twitter users began immediately informing Musk that Ben was innocent.

Yet early the next morning, on June 26th, Musk also responded to Twitter user Matt Wallace, a cryptocurrency YouTuber who frequently vies for Musk’s attention, after Wallace tweeted the same screenshots noting that Ben planned to work for the government.

Musk responded, “Always remove their masks.” This wasn’t defamation either, but he’s getting closer. And again, Musk was helping disseminate a bogus accusation against an innocent and increasingly terrified young man, which is just an objectively awful thing to do.

That same morning, Ben made an Instagram video trying to dispel the accusations. He also posted screenshots of debit card payments in Riverside. He even went as far to request video footage from a restaurant he visited at the time of the brawl, which he also posted.

Throughout the day, Twitter users continued to inform Musk that Ben Brody was innocent, and many of them provided a link to Ben’s Instagram video. But it was to no avail.

The following day, on June 27th, Musk threw the full weight of his celebrity behind the accusation and defamed Ben. He did it in a response to a tweet from anonymous blog “ZeroHedge.”

ZeroHedge is a notorious blog that has trafficked in some of the ugliest smear campaigns on the internet. It is well known for the role it played in spreading false facts about the victims and parents of the Sandy Hook shooting.

In fact, as seen in the clip below, InfoWars’ response to one of ZeroHedge’s blog posts on Sandy Hook was the impetus of one of the lawsuits I brought against Alex Jones. Irony loves company it seems.

In this case, ZeroHedge’s tweet on June 27th stated, “Patriot Front ‘White Supremacist’ Unmasked as Suspected Fed.”

Musk responded to the ZeroHedge tweet, and he declared to the world, “Looks like one is a college student (who wants to join the govt) and another is maybe an Antifa member, but nonetheless a probable false flag situation.”

Readers of the tweet who were familiar with the rumor immediately understood Musk was referring to Ben Brody by “the college student (who wants to join the govt).” In fact, numerous Twitter users replied to Musk’s tweet throughout the day telling him that he was wrong about Ben.

But it didn’t matter. Musk’s endorsement of the accusation galvanized other social media users and influencers to continue their attacks and harassment, as well as post and share accusations against Ben that will remain online forever.

Ben’s lawsuit discusses the aftermath of this incident, but in short, Ben and his family were doxed and suffered an enormous wave of harassment and threats from belligerent strangers.
Being defamed by someone as famous as Musk was an utterly terrifying experience, and it has left Ben stunned, disoriented, and worried about the consequences on his future.

In the weeks following Musk’s statements, it was apparent to Ben that his reputation had been catastrophically damaged and that a huge number of people believed he was either a neo-Nazi or a provocateur in a “psyop” to commit political terrorism on American soil.

Even apart from the damage to his reputation, Ben and his family were put through weeks of terror due to Musk’s recklessness, and now Ben finds himself depressed, freaked out, and mentally distraught at the crucial moment when he exits college and enters his career path.

Musk was informed through his attorneys on August 9thof the circumstances supporting Ben’s claim for defamation, as well as Ben’s distress that Musk had not taken any steps to retract his accusation.

In response, Musk refuses to issue a retraction, declined to apologize, and will not engage in any discussion whatsoever about Ben’s defamation claim. In fact, Musk’s attorney indicated Musk will seek to shift fees if Ben attempts a lawsuit.

In other words, if Ben even tries to seek redress in court for what happened to him, he must risk having the wealthiest man on the planet seek to collect fees against him.

Ben is undeterred. He understands that a lawsuit is the only way he will be able to truly clear his name or change Musk’s behavior. He is unbelievably brave to take on this challenge.

I’ll be posting updates about the progress of the case on this Twitter account when I can. I’m also going to try to answer some questions I anticipate some of you may have. For example:
Question: Can Ben prevail if Musk didn’t identify him by name?

Yes, the law has always recognized this.

It is not necessary for Ben to be identified by name if people understood from reading Musk’s tweet that it referred to Ben. See Backes v. Misko, 486 S.W.3d 7, 24-25 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2015).

Defamation occurs whenever there is a “reasonable inference that some people” who read the statement understood that it referred to the plaintiff.

In the replies to Musk’s June 27th tweet, it’s clear that numerous readers understood the tweet to refer to Ben Brody. Many readers were already familiar with the rumor about Ben, and they understood Ben was “the college student (who wants to work for the govt).”

If fact, it is not even necessary to prove Musk intended to refer to Ben (though he obviously did). It is enough if the reader correctly -- or even mistakenly but reasonably -- concludes it was intended to refer to the plaintiff. See Restatement (Second) of Torts § 564.

Question: Does the law allow Musk to escape responsibility by using the phrase “looks like” in his tweet?

No, it certainly does not. Quite the opposite.

“Looks like” in this context means “the information I have seen indicates.” As the Supreme Court held in Milkovich, if a speaker gives their personal assessment of facts, and th
ey do not disclose the source of their information, they are liable if their conclusion is false.
For this reason, a speaker cannot insulate themselves from liability by using words like “I suspect,” “I believe,” “It appears that,” or “In my opinion.”

Importantly, there was no mention of Ben wanting to work for the government anywhere in the ZeroHedge tweet or blog post. Musk acquired information elsewhere, and he did not disclose where in his June 27th tweet.

Readers of Musk’s tweet could not assess the quality of Musk’s source (which in truth was a weirdo extremist Groyper). They simply had to take his word for it that he had seen information supporting the rumor that Ben was the unmasked neo-Nazi.

Question: Will Musk really try to have the lawsuit dismissed as frivolous and seek legal fees against Ben?

I don’t know. Maybe? Who knows at this point?

But Ben does know that unless he attempts to hold Musk accountable for such a reckless false statement, many people will continue to believe the accusation or view him with a cloud of suspicion.

And Ben knows that unless he takes action, Musk is likely to do the same thing to someone else, and it will be sooner rather than later. There would be no incentive for this behavior to change.

So now Ben turns to the courts to uphold a very simple concept: What Elon Musk has been doing to Ben and others is not tolerable. Win or lose, it is necessary that Ben take a stand and have his case heard in the justice system, regardless of Musk’s power or wealth.

Musk will not stop until someone stops him. It seems that responsibility now falls upon a shy 22-year-old whose life has been shaken by Musk’s reckless conduct. I am honored to assist him

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1