"What are the odds we have to fight our neighbors or even family to defend ourselves this year?"

Hermanator

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

No one's going to try to overthrow the government. 

they sure as shit tried last time.  JD Vance was on TV this morning saying that alternate slates of electors should have been considered by the senate.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

they sure as shit tried last time.  JD Vance was on TV this morning saying that alternate slates of electors should have been considered by the senate.

That’s fine but they amended the electoral count act so that Congress can only accept the original slate from the states

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah. They're still trying.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-illinois-election-pledge-jan-6-b2474938.html

Theoretically he could say he could say he wants to be a dictator and there would be people who would imply #bothsides are reacting to equal threats.

He did say he wants to be dictator, but he could theoretically too. 

• Rage+1 1

If I was forced to bet I'd bet Biden wins the election, Trump goes to jail, and long-term, the level of right-wing violence America's witnessed since the 90s diminishes. But only if I was forced. I'm not in the predict-the-future biz. I am often wrong, and just using the DT perv thread of what happens amongst upstanding citizens when the guardrails of society are on as a reference, feel fairly confident shit could get sideways fast once they're off. The point is Hitler was thought to be relegated to history once he got out of prison and Trump hasn't even entered. 

https://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2022-6-awful-things-i-learned-surviving-genocide.html

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yeah, if I see another truck with a Biden sticker and an AR-15/Punisher decal combo I'm going to lose it.

In this house, we believe in the science of Molotov cocktails.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

My parents are still trying to find ways to use their Y2K freeze dried food cans. It still makes me chuckle whenever I see the last few dozen bins of it at their house. They spent about $5k stocking the pantry and garage with some prepper package from an End Times Alarmist "ministry" that was available on short wave radio. You know, the one from of communication the government can't shut down and will be used by the real patriots when the US falls into anarchy! 

Reminds me the MD and Ops GM took vacation at Y2K time and I had to worry about 500k bopd.   My IT guy told me to chill, and he was right.

23 hours ago, Hermanator said:

This is a question I was asked today by my oldest daughter. 

I thought about it and honestly I couldn't honestly tell her it's low. Trump knows if he loses this election he's going to prison for the rest of his life. Biden knows if he loses the election and trump successfully weaponizes the DOJ and seizes absolute power then Biden is getting persecuted by Trump's gestapo. Both sides have their lives on the line this November and the American people will be more charged than any time since the 1800s against each other. 

My question for this thread is what happens if Trump takes power this year? 

What will you be doing this year to prepare for the possibility of blood shed ahead of the election and in the aftermath of it? 

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

My parents are still trying to find ways to use their Y2K freeze dried food cans. It still makes me chuckle whenever I see the last few dozen bins of it at their house. They spent about $5k stocking the pantry and garage with some prepper package from an End Times Alarmist "ministry" that was available on short wave radio. You know, the one from of communication the government can't shut down and will be used by the real patriots when the US falls into anarchy! 

Quite literally a plot point on the Righteous Gemstones.

• Like 1

Reading a biography of the great Bill T. Sherman.  Lots of similarities in the years before the civil war.  Didn't realize that some of the southern states kept Lincoln off of their presidential ballots. 

Lots of similarities in how the dumb southern whites went against their own interests by supporting slavery.

Difference - the issue of slavery is a good degree more personal to most of those original seditionists that the"invasion of brown people" that frankly, they'd be less passionate about if they actually did have a personal relationship with some of those brown people.

Plus, those southern boys in the 1860s weren't just dress up soldiers. 

6 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

No one's going to try to overthrow the government. 

7 hours ago, SamsCorner said:

I swear, some on the left fantasize about this stuff as much as nutty righties do.

6 hours ago, SamsCorner said:

No state is going to secede, there will be no concentration camps.

I have several Trumpist Facebook friends who have been posting more violent fantasy posts lately.  Like "We ain't played cowboys and leftists." and shit like that.  I don't think that the chance of violence, organized or other, is very high, but it is not zero.

To answer the inevitable question, I keep contact with these folks because they were once sane and I hope they could be again, and they tell me a lot about the Trumpist mindset.  Gotta know the oposition.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

We're mostly guys so we assumed she meant "physical combat," but she's a woman so "fight" probably meant "disagree verbally."

In either case, no.

The nearest Trump sign to me was over on another street. It's a couple with a puppy and the lady belongs to my wife's running club. I guess if blood flows in the streets she (meaning the Trumpkin 400 yards away, not my wife (I hope)) might try to chase me down and stab me in the neck with a screwdriver, if so, may I go down fighting so that they let me into Valhalla.

I've been stabbed by a screwdriver before. 

It's painful,  but unless it's pretty sharp,  it doesn't go that deep

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Sure, sure, if Trump wins there’s no chance that the guy who has thought about nothing but revenge and his fascist supporters who dream about murdering their neighbors if they can get away with it will actually do anything when they’re given reason to think that a majority of the American people have just given them carte blanche to do what they want.

Where I live there’s no chance of violence. God willing I’ll be living in the Pacific at this time next year so I can be as far away from this current brand of crazy as possible. I honestly would not care if I ever set foot in the continental US again once I am gone. 

Edit: Biden will be re-elected, but I am just ready to be away from the mainland.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I have several Trumpist Facebook friends who have been posting more violent fantasy posts lately.  Like "We ain't played cowboys and leftists." and shit like that.  I don't think that the chance of violence, organized or other, is very high, but it is not zero.

To answer the inevitable question, I keep contact with these folks because they were once sane and I hope they could be again, and they tell me a lot about the Trumpist mindset.  Gotta know the oposition.

My childhood best friend is way off the deep end. Like if I didn't know better, I'd think his Fb page was a Russian troll account. I don't have much hope of him regaining sanity, but he's a good look into their worldview and it's my only connection to his parents, who are wonderful people that did a lot for me when I was a kid growing up with my grandmother and not much money. 

• Hook 'Em 5

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Vance is laying down the foundation on why Trump, Senate and House can ignore the Supreme Court as long as they really, really think that the Supreme Court has made an illegal ruling.

Many in the GOP don't mind making hypothetical arguments of the Supreme Court or even Biden abusing their power, but when asked about a hypothetical abuse of power by Trump, even after he mentions it, they state how they won't play the hypothetical scenario game. The only person or group who has attempted to overthrow the govt is Trump.

17 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

Reminds me the MD and Ops GM took vacation at Y2K time and I had to worry about 500k bopd.   My IT guy told me to chill, and he was right.

I posted up in cancun with about 8 buddies for NYE Y2K. Our theory was that a complete meltdown of computer systems might not even be noticeable in Mexico, and either way we'd have cheap booze and a beach. 

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I posted up in cancun with about 8 buddies for NYE Y2K. Our theory was that a complete meltdown of computer systems might not even be noticeable in Mexico, and either way we'd have cheap booze and a beach. 

I went and hung out in Selma, Alabama for the same reason. Plus it's got a good-sized river. My entire Y2K prep was some fishing gear and a bottle of rum.

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

My ex-wife and I were too busy taking care of a month-and-a-half-old infant with severe colic to give much of a shit about it. 

So her programming start to fail right around that time?  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No chance of violence where I am either.  I would guess there might be one Trumpy person in my building which has 135 apartments.  

only reason I still live in Austin and haven't moved to a less stressful state. every Texas city has their positives, but i would probably not live anywhere else in Texas but austin

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SKJ said:

I've been stabbed by a screwdriver before. 

It's painful,  but unless it's pretty sharp,  it doesn't go that deep

Did you used to hang with Sgt Espera from Generation Kill?

Not sure that wisdom ("Generally, white people - they don't drag a dude behind a Tastee Freez and stab him to death with a screwdriver ...")  is as solid with the current incarnation of MAGA crazies.  Still, I love that guy's pontifications.

Edited by Gap03

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

only reason I still live in Austin and haven't moved to a less stressful state. every Texas city has their positives, but i would probably not live anywhere else in Texas but austin

Yeah, people are mostly chill in Austin... we're not too far from the Drip where things get a bit more interesting but Austin proper is not crazy.  The few in our hood that lean that way are not off the deep end.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

We're mostly guys so we assumed she meant "physical combat," but she's a woman so "fight" probably meant "disagree verbally."

No, we've already had that in the family. Not directly involving me or the wife/kids but her grandparents and various extended family. My girls have seen first hand how previously good relationships with family have turned ugly. Now they're wondering just how ugly things can get. 

Although I think the risk is relatively low for high levels of civil unrest we are in a situation that has never happened before in human history. The dominant military world power in the technological age of social media and AI being torn apart from within by propaganda and hatred. You have to think if left unchecked there has to be a tipping point to large scale violence. No one knows what that point will be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, immamac said:

2020 was way worse than now because trump amplified the volume 100x. This cycle is just as dangerous but Trump is cooked and really it’s going to take a meltdown or something crazy for Biden not to win in a largely uneventful election that should be called on election night. The MAGA movement dies this cycle because the American public is going to put it to death intentionally. 

Hell, Biden’s gotta make it to the next election.

19 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

If I was forced to bet I'd bet Biden wins the election, Trump goes to jail, and long-term, the level of right-wing violence America's witnessed since the 90s diminishes. But only if I was forced. I'm not in the predict-the-future biz. I am often wrong, and just using the DT perv thread of what happens amongst upstanding citizens when the guardrails of society are on as a reference, feel fairly confident shit could get sideways fast once they're off. The point is Hitler was thought to be relegated to history once he got out of prison and Trump hasn't even entered. 

https://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2022-6-awful-things-i-learned-surviving-genocide.html

On the Hitler bit, he was much younger coming out of jail.  If Trump was 3 decades younger, I'd be a fuckload more worried and plotting my move to Europe a lot more seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Sure, sure, if Trump wins there’s no chance that the guy who has thought about nothing but revenge and his fascist supporters who dream about murdering their neighbors if they can get away with it will actually do anything when they’re given reason to think that a majority of the American people have just given them carte blanche to do what they want.

correct, no chance.  trump loves to campaign.  he loves to make promises to get votes.  what he doesn't like to do is actually do anything.

i could give you a few dozen examples, but i don't think i should have to. 

you really think he's gonna get sworn in and the next day will be like a scorsese movie where someone flips and there's a montage of people being led away in cuffs?  no.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

On the Hitler bit, he was much younger coming out of jail.  If Trump was 3 decades younger, I'd be a fuckload more worried and plotting my move to Europe a lot more seriously. 

I agree.  I would be shocked if that fucking fat ass is alive within 3 years of losing another election. 

At the present, no one else seems to have his unique skillset of activating a certain segment of non-voters.  I don't think his totally uncharismatic cokehead son is going to do it. DeSantis flopped so hard. Cruz and Hawley have the personality of a melting Jell-O mold. 

23 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

correct, no chance.  trump loves to campaign.  he loves to make promises to get votes.  what he doesn't like to do is actually do anything.

you really think he's gonna get sworn in and the next day will be like a scorsese movie where someone flips and there's a montage of people being led away in cuffs?  no.  

Not the next day but if he wins he won't have guys like Mattis, Tillerson, or Kelly to babysit his dumb ass and keep the country relatively stable even with an empty headed president. 

He's already said he made a big mistake appointing old school republicans last time. It'll be only maga scum lunatics like Attorney General MTG, Chief of Staff Boebert, and Secretary of Defense Gaetz. Those pieces of shit will be there only to do Trump's bidding no matter how corrupt or insane. They will 100 percent go after Biden and Democrats who have opposed them. The fate of the country will be up to people refusing orders from the president and his staff, and we've seen how spineless people became last time with less at stake. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

By the way, the answer to this is not a percentage of likelihood.  Whatever that percentage is, it is probably low.  But it is not ZERO.

That's the problem.  When it comes to "what is the chance the country fractures into large-scale sectarian violence, up to and including a functional localized civil war?", the answer has long been "functionally zero chance."  Since 2016, the answer is NOT "functionally zero."  Some things are so catastrophic that any chance of it occurring is disturbing and problematic.  This is one of them.

I don't think it's likely.

But it IS possible.  That's fucking nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

No, but I bet there will be a whole lotta assholes that wake up on January 21st and think it's okay to start publicly insulting and terrorizing brown people. They might even start showing up armed to non-Christian religious services or restaurants that host drag brunches. Someone on one of these threads posited that a second civil war would look a lot more like The Troubles in Ireland than Syria or something, and I think that's probably right. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I agree.  I would be shocked if that fucking fat ass is alive within 3 years of losing another election. 

At the present, no one else seems to have his unique skillset of activating a certain segment of non-voters.  I don't think his totally uncharismatic cokehead son is going to do it. DeSantis flopped so hard. Cruz and Hawley have the personality of a melting Jell-O mold. 

There’s zero doubt once he’s out they’ll all beat eachother up and coalesce around nobody.  Just gotta ride this out.  His rise really is a black swan event.  Thankfully